• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi QA - RIP Mark Dunstan "Marky-Mark"

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Nah I will probably be at ROM4 but I just don't have the kind of time to give entire weekends to Smash. I still lurk the boards and name search.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
hey guys.
after going to my first tournament (genesis 2) and getting absolutely *****, i decided i'm no longer a marth main, but instead i'm gonna be a doc/luigi double main.
what are good things for me to practice?
you got ***** at your first tournament (a national no less)... so it's time to say screw it and switch to an unpopular character that people aren't good at fighting?

>__>

sorry, but that was my first interpretation of it.

My second was, "I want to be a doc/luigi main, but I play marth so I can do better in tournaments, but that isn't working out so now it's time to follow my true desires". I hope it's that

Anyway, just be really good at wavedashing. All the different kinds. Regular wavedashing (controlling the length, getting max length, and being able to do them at a fast rate), wavelanding (out of short hops, sh aerials, and on platforms), and invincible ledgedashing. Practice being fast in general, i.e. moving out of your moves as soon as they end, and just moving fluidly. If you can imagine a combination of movement options that you would want to do in game, make sure you can do it well.

Combo level 1 computers for a while, and figure out the rest by playing people. Luigi combos are really simple, especially if you are good at wavedashing.

And did I mention being really, really, really good at invincible ledgedashing? Once of his biggest strengths as a character IMO, and an essential for the Luigi metagame going forward. (Of course stuff like good spacing and playing smart are more important than having good ledgedashes, but as far as things you can practice on your own, ledgedashing is near the top in importance.)

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
If you want to be a baller with Doc, just do short hop bair waveland. It is my favorite thing. You can do that with Luigi too but sadly it is much less baller.

Rappster

Smash Ace
you got ***** at your first tournament (a national no less)... so it's time to say screw it and switch to an unpopular character that people aren't good at fighting?

>__>

sorry, but that was my first interpretation of it.

My second was, "I want to be a doc/luigi main, but I play marth so I can do better in tournaments, but that isn't working out so now it's time to follow my true desires". I hope it's that

Anyway, just be really good at wavedashing. All the different kinds. Regular wavedashing (controlling the length, getting max length, and being able to do them at a fast rate), wavelanding (out of short hops, sh aerials, and on platforms), and invincible ledgedashing. Practice being fast in general, i.e. moving out of your moves as soon as they end, and just moving fluidly. If you can imagine a combination of movement options that you would want to do in game, make sure you can do it well.

Combo level 1 computers for a while, and figure out the rest by playing people. Luigi combos are really simple, especially if you are good at wavedashing.

And did I mention being really, really, really good at invincible ledgedashing? Once of his biggest strengths as a character IMO, and an essential for the Luigi metagame going forward. (Of course stuff like good spacing and playing smart are more important than having good ledgedashes, but as far as things you can practice on your own, ledgedashing is near the top in importance.)
i've been playing those three characters in varying proportions more or less exclusively for about a year.
it's just that at genesis i performed a lot better with doc/luigi.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Probably because people are bad at the matchup
Unless you have like, super Mario bros talent or something

Top Bottom