• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Q&A - Ask your Luigi questions here!

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Other character specific forums have 'em... we should have one too!

This thread was inspired by Silent Wolf's and Emblem Lord's threads in the Fox and Marth forums. His thread was about answering common Fox and Marth questions so that people would no longer post threads asking the same old questions. Well , now I'm doing the same thing in an effort to clean up the Marth Luigi Forum. This thread is all about helping the community help itself.

If you have a question, post it in this thread and I will answer it the best of my ability. Other knowledgeable Marth Luigi players are more then welcome to answer questions as well. Before answering questions, please be sure that you know what you are talking about. Misinformation will be corrected, either by myself or other knowledgebale players of course. If the answer to a question can be found in another thread, then a link to that thread will posted.

Let's all do our part in keeping unneccessary threads from being posted again and again. The Marth Luigi community should all help one another to understand Marth Luigi better. This way the same old threads won't have to keep popping up.

(Copied from Emblem Lord thread ^^)Feel free to ask and answer questions! I felt like the Luigi boards could use one of these for questions and even general discussion about Luigi in Melee.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I watched you play Tope at Pound3. I was in your pool, if you remember. You fared much better against his sheik than I did.

Do you have a general strategy for sheiks? Is there specific things I should look out for? What are good counter pick stages?

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Yeah, your Luigi is pretty dang good xD. And yes, I've been playing Sheiks forever with Luigi.

Well-timed, weak Nairs work wonders in breaking combos.

Let's go over some basics. Sheiks are going to tilt you and jab you for some combo starters. Also, you might get Fair'd for damage racking. Dthrows won't be uncommon either, and Dsmashes can be used for spacing and damage.

One thing Sheiks will always do to you is keep you in the air. What they don't know is that Luigi has some of the best combo breaking moves. Now let's think for a second -what can Sheik REALLY do to beat a Luigi? Hmm... Floatiness = Fair won't send you that far until high %s. As a given, Uair won't kill until high %s as well. Dair? Yeah.. no. Bair? Only for edgeguarding. Nair? mmm not gonna work amazingly well on Luigi.

So WHAT does Sheik have to do? Sheik has to bring Luigi's percent up. How? Your opponent will struggle here. The only real way to bring the damage up is with Tilt combos and some aerials. Tilts will be easy. After being, most likely, Ftilted, let out an Nair ASAP. Chances are, some part of it will make contact. Depending on Sheik's %, follow-up smartly. If she's sent a little bit upward, then use the range of Luigi's Uair. If she is at high %, and in range for it, then Fair/Dair her. If you want to switch it up a little, feel free to Nair. I don't know what good it will do you though.

While Sheik struggles against you at low %s, you have your chances to combo her. Dsmashes are good at low %s into aerials. Also, at low %s, you can Uair, then fall into Fair/Dairs. Sometimes Nair works too. Shield is good too when Sheik isn't trying to grab. After you're hit, you can wavedash out of shield into a rab. Dthrow and Uthrow = t3h shiz on Sheik. At low % Dthrow > Dsmash. At a little higher % Uthrow > Aerial.

When Sheik is off the edge, hanging on the edge is a good place to be. I was once criticized for not standing on the edge to edgeguard Sheik. Hanging on the edge, however, is actually probably one of the best things to do against an off-stage Sheik. Many times, Sheik will try to go straight to the edge. This option is null because of your edgehog. Smarter Sheiks will go straight upwards, knowing that if you stay still their Vanish will hurt you unless you roll onto the stage. Then they fall onto the edge. Try and predict this; there aren't too many options in this situation. You can try just standing up on the stage (tap forward) and then aerial/Fsmash the falling Sheik. If Sheik is close enough to Vanish onto the stage, then roll onto the stage - but time it well! Sheik might still go for the edge, then you can still have your edgehog. Otherwise, you can grab/aerial/smash the Sheik when they get back on the stage. I prefer the grab and Dthrow into Dair; you won't have to worry as much about your spacing of aerials/smashes that way.

Surviving vs. Sheik: Don't worry too much about the Uairs, even when you're at a high %. If it hits, you'll probably die, but its hitbox is pretty small compared to how much Luigi can DI. DI to the side of her and aerial her - it's easier than you think. Then again, however, you'll get Fair'd off the stage every once in a while. You should follow standard procedure. Sheiks USUALLY won't edgehog you, but if they do, then do you best to get on the stage rather than the edge. Otherwise, Green Missile + Rising Tornadoes to get to the wall of the stage. UpB up the wall. That way, if Sheik Dtilts or Dsmashes you on the edge, you can tech it. Once you practice, teching is easy. Some Sheiks, however, like to wait for you to raise a little bit, then hit you with a further part of the Dsmash. For these, try and barely grab the edge with the UpB.

Once on the edge, you have many options. My preferred method of getting back on is ledgehopping into an aerial. If Sheik is shielding, try Dair > Nair in the one jump. They'll Shield grab the Dair right into your Nair. From there follow up with whatever combo works best in the situation.

Good Stages: I prefer platform stages like FoD and Dreamland. Sheik can easily get you with needles at FD. Stadium works well too for some variety. If you noticed, I counterpicked FoD against Tope's Sheik.

Scare the Sheik with combo breakers and finish her off. Good luck!

More questions welcome.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Down-Air
Damage: 15%

Another popular thread topic posted in the Luigi forums. How in the world are you suppose to meteor smash with this dang attack. Well, let me first explain when you attack with this Luigi sticks his feet down and twirls, usually, knocking the opponent upwards. However, if done correctly, can cause a meteor smash. To do this, with the highest success rate, you will want to do a backwards ledge hop. This is because of the odd angle that Luigi is when he does the attack. When, the opponent is touching Luigi's hips is when you will occur the most. The reason for this is because it is, please someone verify, that the hit box goes from the tip of the shoe to all the way up to Luigi's butt. The angle at which Luigi is at makes this hit box face downwards making the opponent sent towards the abyss. However, this is very hard to practice by yourself and even professionals can't do this every time. Not to mention it can be meteor cancelled. It isn't that bad of a consolation prize if the opponent is sent upwards as this leads to another aerial which will for sure finish them.

There is a sticky on this.

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice
I only use Luigi from time to time when im playing with friends and such. I am curious what are some good ways to set up for his sweet spotted up-b. I have heard of people say just WD'ing into it will work or wd d-tilt to up-b can work. what are some set-ups you use ?? I know theres a lot of different options depending on character type. But im curious about the best ways for the fast fallers.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Yes, it is true that there are different ways for different characters. One thing, however, that you'll want to remember about the spacies, is that the ping won't be that affective. IMO, you're better off just comboing them - usually you can get more % then just a ping if you do it right. Plus it sets up for better things; a ping just sends em straight up, a position that you can't do so much from.

One reason I do see to ping the spacies is if they are at over 100% and you're going for a kill. The easiest way to land a ping is just predict there movements and run/wd into ping (wd requires some timing). While this way is difficult, it is effective. It isn't a surefire way to land it, but you'll see it coming in handy once you practice and land it a lot.

Otherwise, you can do things like WD -> Ftilt -> Ping. That'll work better for lower %s, but, again, it requires some good timing. Sometimes if you Dthrow a spacie at low %, they'll tech it forward or backwards. That'll set up for a nice WD -> Ping.

The best way to land pings is just to be creative. You'll find different ways here and there. After some experience, you'll notice many more opportunities to land pings.

kennypoopoo

Smash Apprentice
Yes, it is true that there are different ways for different characters. One thing, however, that you'll want to remember about the spacies, is that the ping won't be that affective. IMO, you're better off just comboing them - usually you can get more % then just a ping if you do it right. Plus it sets up for better things; a ping just sends em straight up, a position that you can't do so much from.

One reason I do see to ping the spacies is if they are at over 100% and you're going for a kill. The easiest way to land a ping is just predict there movements and run/wd into ping (wd requires some timing). While this way is difficult, it is effective. It isn't a surefire way to land it, but you'll see it coming in handy once you practice and land it a lot.

Otherwise, you can do things like WD -> Ftilt -> Ping. That'll work better for lower %s, but, again, it requires some good timing. Sometimes if you Dthrow a spacie at low %, they'll tech it forward or backwards. That'll set up for a nice WD -> Ping.

The best way to land pings is just to be creative. You'll find different ways here and there. After some experience, you'll notice many more opportunities to land pings.
WOW thats a wicked and detailed response so first off thanks for your time second the information is very useful so thanks for that as well. I know there are better options than just the ping. But it is fun and suprises the opponent when you land it. but I like the idea of waiting for the tech after the Dthrow :D also maybe an Fthrow close to the edge and wait for them to tech away from the edge. I have read in other threads that most people tech away from the edge on instinct to get away from the danger. So not saying it will work everytime bt im sure you could get someone with it in a match.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
No problem - I enjoy helping fellow Luigi players.

As for the teching away from the edge, that just goes along with the prediction. It really depends on who you're playing. Some people know to tech towards the edge if you are on the other side of them. I wouldn't suggest completely relying on them rolling towards you as some opponents will expect a grab/ping. But yeah, it's worth a shot. If it doesn't work the first time, however, there is a fair chance that it won't work the second time.

Tero.

Smash Champion
What Stages would you ban/counterpick against Link, Roy, Pikachu, Ness, Bowser and Kirby ?

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Link has projectiles, so you probably don't want to counterpick somewhere like FD. I'd say somewhere like Battlefield because it hinders his tether recovery.

Roy shouldn't be too hard, Luigi kinda ***** him. I'd say go somewhere like Dreamland where you have some nice space and platforms for wavelanding. It's better than Yoshi's because it's wider, therefore harder for Roy to kill Luigi with Fsmash. Same goes for FoD. FD isn't bad, but the lack of platforms doesn't help Luigi.

For Pikachu, you shouldn't pick FD because of his projectile. Other than that, you're pretty free to choose whatever stage you like. Stadium is kind of even and the other platform stages don't give either too much of an advantage. Luigi does, however, have a better maneuverability on those stages.

Ness is an interesting character.You can combo him pretty well in most places, and his UpB projectile isn't much of a threat. FD is a decent place to take him.

Bowser shouldn't be a problem for Luigi. I'd say take him to Stadium for some variability in the stage, just to be safe.

Kirby.. hm that's a tough one. I would say take him to Yoshi's? Just don't get grabbed at the edge in case of Kirbycides. At Yoshi's, because it has small boundaries, you can get some easy kills.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
What Stages would you ban/counterpick against Link, Roy, Pikachu, Ness, Bowser and Kirby ?
Kirby - FD
Bowser - FD, DL64
Ness - FD
Link - FD, Yoshi's
Roy - FD

Waveshielding defeats Link's camping against you if you are smart so FD is fine but if you suck at dealing with spam then Yoshi's or something small or something.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Not only does Link have projectiles against Luigi at FD, but he can also easily combo you with Dthrows, Utilts, and Uair juggles. You're much safer on a platform stage.

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
Hmm.. So i'm pretty much just using Luigi as a hobby right now but I've decided to take him to the next level, I'm going to be playing some links and possibly a Mewtwo this afternoon and I'm sure I'll play a doc. They are all pretty low leveled, but they are knowledgeable players when it comes to their chars, I want to be able to take anyone in there and **** so I'm tightening up my loose ends before I go.

Luigi - Advice for Doc, I'm familiar with his game, just looking for a general doc tip or two, afterall the docter is nothing to laugh at.

Luigi - what can I really do against link? Spin spam, ranged tilts + smashes, projectiles, priority and hookshot recovery make him hard to combo and keep off the stage not to mention his Up-B. Some advice would be appreciated.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Luigi - Advice for Doc, I'm familiar with his game, just looking for a general doc tip or two, afterall the docter is nothing to laugh at.
I play Velocity who is a pretty good doc. In general, doc's like to pill camp, back air gimp, and *** down smash.

Pills are pretty easy to get by. WD under them and try and grab or up smash or fltilt depending on your position. You can usually get a free hit out of a grab, but if the doc's DI's well you should back off.

As far as bair camping goes, just recover low, save your jump and down B when you need it. Don't be hasty with your jump. If you panic offstage and jump you are gonna eat a bair and get gimped. If the doc grabs the ledge use your down B and jump+aerial to scare him off he should get up at some point. Then you have to space your up B so it doesn't get caped. You need a pretty good sweet spot but there is no way to avoid a perfectly timed cape asside from up+b-ing the wrong direction.

Jab dsmash is a killer. My only suggestion is CC the jab and grab. But honestly most of the time you just want to have good DI. You want to choose you attacks. In Close quaters doc will destroy weegie. Wd in an out. Tech chase grab, but don't stay close when you can get jab dsmashed or f smashed.

Luigi - what can I really do against link? Spin spam, ranged tilts + smashes, projectiles, priority and hookshot recovery make him hard to combo and keep off the stage not to mention his Up-B. Some advice would be appreciated.
I have trouble with lionk and young link. I actually prefer to fight link over young link. Link is not as good at spamming projectiles. Links like to throw shit and bait you into uptilt or grab. The key to beating link is going after his recovery. Don't ledge camp if he has a hook shot. Wait to see what recovery he uses. Grab the ledge if he is low and up b's If he hook shots wd off and try and smack him with a fair. You have to be real quick, but its a great gimp. But your general offense is grabs and dsmash.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Doc is always fun to play against as Luigi. The only Doc player around here is Boss who is pretty **** good.

One thing - Doc's survival isn't that great. Once he's off the stage, there's a good chance he won't survive as long as he's at at least a mid percentage.

Spacing is really important against Doc. You don't want to get smashed or aerial'd. Luigi's range is overall greater than Doc's, so if you play it smart this shouldn't be a problem.

Do your best not to get Caped by Doc. Players with little experience against Doc aren't used to it, so watch out. If you try to sweetspot the ledge with your UpB, the cape will hit you. Doc's cape has a better vertical range than Mario's.

Link is an interesting match for Luigi. He has a better range than Luigi does, and he has projectiles. You have to use Luigi's aerials, speed, and priority to win in this matchup. Constant wavedashes will keep your opponent thinking.

To add to Pakman's Fair gimp, if you see that the Link is going for a hookshot recovery anyways and you're on the stage, just wavedash off into a Bair. It should last long enough to stage spike him.

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys! I played against some noobier players that day but your advice served me well, lol, my brother who I taught how to play doc loves playing against luigi. He is convinced luigi is magic with his wavedashes and ariel combo's.

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
Not really new at melee, but new to the competitive side of it and pretty new to luigi still. I'm coming along though and I'll be ready to match up with some of the better players soon.

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
OH! I saw your combo video pakman, good stuff I've been trying most of it and have lot's of fun against my freind's fox and my brother's Y. Link.

Luigi > All higher tiers

COEY

Smash Lord
Hey guys just recently started playing luigi all serious like, and i love him so much i've decided to main him. Picked him up like a couple of weeks before i watched pakmans 'oh girl' vid and since watching that and greenish machine 2 i really wanna improve. Going to be uploading some vids of mine in the next few days, but for now just wondering if i can have a little advice on the falco, marth and peach match ups.

Btw im English and such play PAL, i'm pretty sure theres not much different about luigi (if anything) but maybe but i thought i'd make that clear.

Only really making this post first as i dont want to make a video thread if no one even responds to this as it seems abit dead in here atm. :/

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
lol, Falco is a hard match-up for like every character. I'm not too good in that match up but my advice would be to counter pick stages with platforms so you can escape the laser spam easier and use your ground speed movement (wavedashing) to throw him off, you can move alot faster than he can.

Juggle his fast-fallerness... and gimp his recover as it is one of the worst: Walk off > Nuetral air is all it take but a nice bair is sometimes safer :)

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Hey guys just recently started playing luigi all serious like, and i love him so much i've decided to main him. Picked him up like a couple of weeks before i watched pakmans 'oh girl' vid and since watching that and greenish machine 2 i really wanna improve. Going to be uploading some vids of mine in the next few days, but for now just wondering if i can have a little advice on the falco, marth and peach match ups.

Btw im English and such play PAL, i'm pretty sure theres not much different about luigi (if anything) but maybe but i thought i'd make that clear.

Only really making this post first as i dont want to make a video thread if no one even responds to this as it seems abit dead in here atm. :/
BTW: Thanks for the oh girl namedrop :-). I am not too familiar with pal. Feel free to post a lot. I check these boards often. I rarely get to discuss Luigi so I am glad to give you advise, and if you have some neat tricks I'd like to hear them.

Marth: Look for rofl's (nublet's) thread on how to fight marth there is some real good advice in there. I will summarize some of the key points. Wavedash ftilit is your bread and butter. I would suggest tilting the ftilt upwards too. It has deceptive range, high speed and decent knock back. Learn to space and play the range game. Marth outranges you with attacks but with wave dashes you can play games with that range and strike at the right moment. Out of grabs there are a few options. A dthrow at low percents can be chaingrabbed if they DI badly. Mid percents I like up throw upair fair and at high percents down throw fair. I am pretty sure none of this is guarenteed but they would need real good DI to get out of. Anyway check out that thread.

Falco: Ugh..... Counterpick platforms as mentioned. Learn to powersheild. I have problems with the mattchup myself. Here are some things that help. Falco out prioritizes you from the ground with uptilt. Do not try and nair out of low percent pillar combos. Just DI and gett back to the ground.

Peach: You have to play peach a little differently that other characters. In general I kill peach with up smash NOT an aerial. In general against peaches Upsmash > dsmash. I catch turnips but you don't have to. Don't crouch cancel. Grab. Jab up+b kills at low percents.

COEY

Smash Lord
Wow thanks for the quick response :) Erm i actually do have a few vids of my luigi on my profile from a couple of weeks ago on my youtube atm, i have some better ones from a min ranked tournament to upload but feel free to check my old ones out if you like.

http://uk.youtube.com/user/justwillhudson

Thanks again :)

Edit: btw i wont be replying for quite a few hours, it's 4am here :p not sure why i'm even up not to mention still posting on here lol.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Sheik is hands down Luigi's worst match up. Free aerial after a down throw. Great edge guard with bair. Everything she does out prioritizes Luigi. And she doesn't fall fast enough to combo super good.

COEY

Smash Lord
Luigi Sheik is far nicer in PAL from what i've seen of ntsc. Down throw leads to very little apart from maybe at very low %. I think it's still really hard it's just a question of not getting combo'd nair is awesome.

PAL luigi is too good.

Edit: also no killer up air :)

Osman

Smash Apprentice
How exactly do I space/time my b-airs so that my opponent goes forward as opposed to backwards, like in Pakman's combo video, near the beginning?

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Its a hit box thing. The character needs to be basically at Luigi's head when you bair. lets say you have a hit box [l--r] if the opponent is hit closer to l then he goes left if it is closer to r then he goes right. I find the more usefule with fair and dair then the back air.

soap

Smash Hero
i read your sheik advice, sounds like scrubby sheiks if they get hit with alotta combo breakers, u just wait and regrab, and spaced bairs/needles **** luigi

Top Bottom