• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina: Separate character or costume? (Confirmed separate character)

Costume or character?

• Costume

Votes: 81 31.4%
  • Character

Votes: 177 68.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Looks like the general consensus is... Pretty divided.

For character:
Has a box on the site.
Has a character reveal splash.
Has a few different move animations.

For costume:
Has a small box on the site, implying she isn't as much of a newcomer as the rest. (Mobile site has a bigger box, presumably to fill a gap.)
Her reveal splash appears to be sarcastic. (Japanese trailer is also.)
Very little changes from Marth, appears to be even closer to him then any other clone.
Dark Pit, a different character with a different voice, was implied to be a costume.

Good amount of evidence for either side, but I'm inclined to think she's a costume.

Last edited:

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
Costumes don't get official pages. I don't see any page for Wireframe Mac, or female Villager.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
She has a newcomer banner on the mobile website, and it says newcomer next to her name, and it says newcomer when you click her on the site, we don't know anything about dark pit actually so that doesn't provide proof really. And it says 'Newcomer Lucina joins the battle' on the website under the notifications.
It's safe to say she's a character and not an alt. she is a clone though.

mini paincakes

Smash Journeyman
I think she has a small character box might be because she's a clone and isn't quite as interesting as the other newcomers. Robin was the main focus of today's trailer.

The question marks in the reveal splash are an anomaly, so alt costume is not out of the question I guess.

I'm still thinking Marth clone.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
New character. If she was a skin, they would just update the marth page and introduce Lucina there.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Costumes don't get official pages. I don't see any page for Wireframe Mac, or female Villager.
She has a newcomer banner on the mobile website, and it says newcomer next to her name, and it says newcomer when you click her on the site, we don't know anything about dark pit actually so that doesn't provide proof really. And it says 'Newcomer Lucina joins the battle' on the website under the notifications.
It's safe to say she's a character and not an alt. she is a clone though.
"Has a small box on the site, implying she isn't as much of a newcomer as the rest."

Yes, the other costumes didn't get their own slots, but how many of them are completely different characters? None. Why would Dark Pit just be a costume with Lucina as a separate character?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
1. Dark Pit has no place being mentioned since we don't even know if he's in the game or not.

2. Lucina is a character. Just because she's a clone doesn't stop her from being a character.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
"Has a small box on the site, implying she isn't as much of a newcomer as the rest."

Yes, the other costumes didn't get their own slots, but how many of them are completely different characters? None. Why would Dark Pit just be a costume with Lucina as a separate character?
On the mobile site, like I already said, she has a full newcomer banner. We don't even know dark pits place in the game. He may be a boss.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649

Technically, the female Villagers are different characters. They are both avatars, but they're still different characters.
I never said Dark Pit was a costume.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375

Come on now. Lucina was JUST revealed a few hours ago, and she wasn't even the real star of the video(Captain Falcon of course). We barely know anything about her playstyle. I'm sure she'll have moves that are unique to her. All the moves we saw were shared with Marth, but we have not seen all of her moves.

Last edited:

MechaWave

Smash Champion
If you want to know what the Japanese splash says, it literally says: "Lucina Joins the Battle?!" It's not exactly sarcastic, but possibly because of the fact it's exclaiming shock that it's Lucina and not Chrom.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Of course she's a character.

SmashBoards usually do try to grasp at straws but this takes it to a whole new level.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I was a minority completely dismissing the Getmatsu Leak; I was right.
I was a minority thinking that Chrom wouldn't be playable (regardless of Gematsu, it was still a popular request.); I was right.
And now I'm a minority thinking that Lucina will be an Alt for Marth.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It says "newcomer" on her banner on her page.

All you got to do is read... and think.

She also has very different hitboxes and a few new-ish moves.

She's basically Melee/Brawl Marth while the current Marth is a new character gameplay-wise.

This is similar to the Falco/Fox situation in Melee where Falco was basically Smash 64 Fox was Fox was a new character gameplay-wise.

wafflini

Smash Apprentice
Listen guise. I rewatched the trailer and we say three, THREE of lucina's moves (dancing blade, nair, and a move I didn't care to look at to intently, but was clearly from marth). Yes, she shares those three with marth, but that's only a tiny fraction of her playstyle. We can't just saw she is sooo like marth to be an alt.

Plus Soccoreye wouldn't give an alt costume its own square and refer to it as a newcomer.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
If you want to know what the Japanese splash says, it literally says: "Lucina Joins the Battle?!" It's not exactly sarcastic, but possibly because of the fact it's exclaiming shock that it's Lucina and not Chrom.
Yeah, people are thinking way too into the '?!'... When I first saw it I figured it was because nobody really expected her and everyone expected Chrom.

Last edited:

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
This is considering what we know about their similaritys, but Instead of different custom moves for Marth, perhaps having Lucina and Roy being the alternate movesets (and costumes) of Marth would be a neat way to handle this situation. That way, everyone gets who they want, but they will have their own stats. After all, all 3 of their Side specials have customizable executions as it is.

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
Hitboxes would be something to definitely consider. Her overall speed and power to, I know there was an article that talked about Marth and a few of his nerfs from when the Smash bestbuy demo was playable so maybe Lucina will fix those.

Last edited:

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Except that Lucina was shown to not have different specials from Marth, but in fact have his exact Dancing Blade, Dolphin Slash and even Nair.

I'm betting it's Fox/Falco from Melee. Same animations, different properties.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
She has a large banner on the mobile version. If she were to have it on the desktop version, we'd have two empty veteran spots. It just didn't fit the way it should have. I'm sure when we have more reveals that she will get a large newcomer banner. She is a newcomer though as stated on the site, and has her own character page. She definitely is her own character and not a costume.

As for not having the video and illustration on her character page, it is just the same as Robin's, so no point in having it on her page too. I guess since Robin is a more unique fighter and had more gameplay shown in the trailer, he was given the illustration. The only thing I can't explain is why she wasn't announced on Miiverse like the others.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
That's because "Wireframe" Mac is just Little Mac and "Female" Villager is just Villager, and her page doesn't have newcomer features.

She has a large banner on the mobile version.
Really!?
The whole thing is complicated, it's like Sakurai himself doesn't know!

Last edited:

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Yeah, people are thinking way too into the '?!'... When I first saw it I figured it was because nobody really expected her and everyone expected Chrom.
Yeah. I should also point out that the Japanese splashes are all the same for the newcomers; they don't get catchy phrases like the localized versions do.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I was a minority completely dismissing the Getmatsu Leak; I was right.
I was a minority thinking that Chrom wouldn't be playable (regardless of Gematsu, it was still a popular request.); I was right.
And now I'm a minority thinking that Lucina will be an Alt for Marth.
Funny how there's already available evidence showing/proving she's a separate character. A costume is PotD material at best. Not a completely new trailer along side two other characters.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
She is a different character. A clone, yes. An alt costume? No.

EchoesOfRain

Smash Apprentice
Okay, let's just assume she is a complete clone for a moment. She is listed as a character on the site, but may not be getting a whole banner because she isn't bringing anything new into the game. However, she is getting a box on the site because she is a new character. mac and hoodie mac are still mac. Male WFT and Female WFT are still WFT. Link and Toon Link may still be link, but their stats and playstyles are way different, and some moves have different properties. If anyone is able to have one slot for two similar characters, it is ONLY Marth and Lucina.

I'm trying to come from an unbiased perspective, but its a bit frustrating how close-minded many are being. SSB4 is bringing so many new things to the game, that without enough evidence we can't prove or disprove much.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
If she has different properties than marth I'll be even more satisfied than I am right now. So all in all, I don't care much.

Our girl made it :)

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I feel like Lucina is a costume, because let's put it like this, Marth is already quick, that was his quality in Melee and Brawl, he was quick but he lacked the power that Roy and Ike had so if they wanted to have a Marth that made Marth look slower in comparison they might as well have brought back Roy who WAS a clone but still made Marth look faster.

I also think that Lucina is an example of how Dark Pit is going to be treated and possibly Blood Falcon, same move set, different character with their own voice overs and announcer call outs, maybe a couple alternate animations and hit boxes but they're costumes for existing characters who just happen to be treated like every other character and I personally have no problems with this if that is the case.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Why is this even a question?
Because until Sakurai clears everything up, anything he shows is a veritable Schroidinger's cat?

Thanks, I'll update the OP in a moment.

...I'm not going to reply to all of you individually. Let me elaborate on my stance on that she's a costume.

First, like I said, she's clearly not on the same level as other newcomers. It could be because she's a clone or costume. Yes, I've heard the mobile site has a larger box for her, but the normal site still has a small box. That point still stands. I'll go ahead and edit the OP. Yes, Villager's costume change his face and gender, but they're not really different characters, they're all basically the same blank slate. If she had unique moves, wouldn't they of shown at least one? Different hitboxes? Like, very slightly different because she stands differently. Why would a costume be revealed like a character? Because she's a different character, represented as a costume.

Dark Pit... Lemme go off on a tangent for a moment. The Kid Icarus series already has a stage for each game, and DP isn't a hazard for either. (Doesn't make a significant appearance in either area in KIU, both already have quite a few gimmicks.) He was already "playable" in Brawl and was hinted at being playable in Palutena's trailer. We've even have a costume that changes a character's voice: Male WFT. Why give Lucina a spot on the site, and not DP? There's a multitude of possible reasons, but I've gone on for long enough about him. Unless you want me go keep going off topic? Dark Pit is in the game, and is most likely the same thing Lucina is. ...Whatever she is.

Azule07

Smash Cadet
She's a character. If she's not, then Falco, Ganondorf and the like shouldn't be characters either. They're all semi-clones.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Lucina is the only one who would be an entirely different character, so those comparisons aren't really the same at all.

I think she's a skin, but it doesn't really matter. Either way she's playable.

It always does in Japan. They don't get jokes or puns. Just "______ joins the battle!"

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
Lucina is the only one who would be an entirely different character, so those comparisons aren't really the same at all.

I think she's a skin, but it doesn't really matter. Either way she's playable.

It always does in Japan. They don't get jokes or puns. Just "______ joins the battle!"
The reason that person pointed out that it said '____ joins the battle' is because Lucina wasn't treated any differently. She joined the battle, just like every other newcomer so far.

Last edited:

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
I feel like Lucina is a costume, because let's put it like this, Marth is already quick, that was his quality in Melee and Brawl, he was quick but he lacked the power that Roy and Ike had so if they wanted to have a Marth that made Marth look slower in comparison they might as well have brought back Roy who WAS a clone but still made Marth look faster.

I also think that Lucina is an example of how Dark Pit is going to be treated and possibly Blood Falcon, same move set, different character with their own voice overs and announcer call outs, maybe a couple alternate animations and hit boxes but they're costumes for existing characters who just happen to be treated like every other character and I personally have no problems with this if that is the case.
Yeah, except Marth's a guy and Lucina's a girl. And they both have different character and personality. Not to moment, it's like dimensionsword64 said: "Costumes don't get official pages." And you know it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom