• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Can Ken Combo! Chars. She Can Do It To! Percents! Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
strictly speaking, the Ken Combo is simply f-air -> air-jump -> d-air
f-air to get the opponent off-stage, and d-air to spike them
You can have any amount of build-up, but the Ken Combo itself is just f-air into d-air

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ah, this sounds simple enough. I imagine her combo game can only grow from here. :)

lordsturm473

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the help you guys! With your instructions I was able to land the combo with some regularity in training mode. :)

If it helps you post OP, I was able to land the combo on Captain Falcon at ~49% on the edge of FD. You have to do a slick fastfall in the middle of the fair and the air jump but I think it's a true combo. I can post video if you need it.

D

Deleted member

For you guys that wanted to see it in action. I made a video of me pulling of the Ken combo on a lvl3 CPU.

Hm...in the beginning after your f-air, what are you following that up with before you hit the ground?

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
A Ken Combo is by definition: Any number of fairs that lead into a down air. So basically: Fair into Dair. To do it with Lucina you jump then do a fair then fastfall then do another jump and dair. Or you can do Maximal GFX's really easy setup since what I just listed is pretty hard to do on a lot of chars: Do a falling upair (Come into the ground with an upair) then jump and do a fair then fastfall then jump again and do the dair. Make sure that you hit with the bottom of the dair at the tip or well... it won't spike. Hope this helped! Oh and personally some easy chars. to do this to are ones like Meta Knight and stuff. Of course there is a list right above us too :D

Icyie

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I haven't seen this posted here yet so I actually made this (after lurking for a while) just to see if it's worth anything. You can also setup the Ken combo using:

SH Side B (1st hit), falling Uair, then the Fair -> Dair. Tested it on Mario at around 40-60% in training mode.

This is just so you don't have to do the obvious jump, wait, and then Uair near the ground. SH Side B keeps them in hitstun and makes Lucina fall with enough time to squeeze in a Uair.

This is my first real smash game though, so if it doesn't really work... oh well.

Last edited:

Nasreth

Smash Cadet
So...

Upair on a grounded target, preferably after a whiffed grab or something
Shot hop, f-air to follow up before they can DI or dodge out of range
Fast fall, jump, downair to spike?

Really excited about this. Can't wait to get home and try it out. You should be proud, you're tearing me away from Fire Emblem Awakening. That's no easy task.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
So...

Upair on a grounded target, preferably after a whiffed grab or something
Shot hop, f-air to follow up before they can DI or dodge out of range
Fast fall, jump, downair to spike?

Really excited about this. Can't wait to get home and try it out. You should be proud, you're tearing me away from Fire Emblem Awakening. That's no easy task.
I LOVE AWAKENING, INSTANT RESPECT, EXCEPT FOR SMASH BESTEST GAME EVARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

And yes, what you are saying is right. I will test when I get home what the guy above us said :D

Last edited:

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, I haven't seen this posted here yet so I actually made this (after lurking for a while) just to see if it's worth anything. You can also setup the Ken combo using:

SH Side B (1st hit), falling Uair, then the Fair -> Dair. Tested it on Mario at around 40-60% in training mode.

This is just so you don't have to do the obvious jump, wait, and then Uair near the ground. SH Side B keeps them in hitstun and makes Lucina fall with enough time to squeeze in a Uair.

This is my first real smash game though, so if it doesn't really work... oh well.
Can't wait to try this out! If it works, you will be in the Special Thanks area :D

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
GOOD NEW EVERYONE, ALL THE CHARACTERS LUCINA CAN AND CANNOT KEN COMBO ARE ALL LISTED!!! Now I have to work on putting up percents that chars. can be Ken Combo'ed which will take me a while. Any help with percent stuff will be much appreciated though :D The percent stuff will prob. take me a couple weeks.

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice

Gonna try this in a bit.

Hm...in the beginning after your f-air, what are you following that up with before you hit the ground?
That's not a f-air in the beginning, it's a short hop side B to a n-air followed up by an up-smash.

Last edited:

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice

Alright, this work pretty great. In a real battle this is the best set up. I still think short hop side B is kinda hard to pull on someone, but it's a lot easier then short hop Uair... Great job!

Edit: I should try this on an actual human actually... Those short hop side B combo are pretty easy to get out of in my experience. Will try it with a friend tonight, gonna try to record it.

Last edited:

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Edit: I should try this on an actual human actually... Those short hop side B combo are pretty easy to get out of in my experience. Will try it with a friend tonight, gonna try to record it.
This is why I want to test this Ken Combo out. And why I do not use the term combo in either Smash 4 or Brawl for that matter.
In fighting games, combo specifically indicates a timed sequence of moves which produce a cohesive series of hits, each of which leaves the opponent unable or almost unable to block or otherwise avoid the following hits in the sequence.
A lot of the things in this game are not true combos, they are just strings. They can be vectored out or airdodged out with enough button mashing.

The almost in the above quote refers to combo breakers like in traditional fighting games, so do not get the terminology confused.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Ok, I've finally gotten around to practicing this offline, and I'm impressed. Dthrow at 30% combos into it nicely.

I'll try it online sometime.

Mr Melo Yellow

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-2813-7966
Good stuff, but is this actually a combo? Isn't the smoke trail a sign that a character is hitstunned? If so, Ganondorf was out of hitstun before you got the spike.
I've also tried the u-air f-air d-air "combo" with Marth. Similar results, except you obviously need to not be tippering with the f-airs

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Good stuff, but is this actually a combo? Isn't the smoke trail a sign that a character is hitstunned? If so, Ganondorf was out of hitstun before you got the spike.
I've also tried the u-air f-air d-air "combo" with Marth. Similar results, except you obviously need to not be tippering with the f-airs
That's precisely what I had noticed as well. In that video it seemed that Ganon was out of hitstun.

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
Yeah it's not an actual combo, they are not in hitstun all the way through. Just need to figure out a way where escaping this string is almost impossible.

Ok, I've finally gotten around to practicing this offline, and I'm impressed. Dthrow at 30% combos into it nicely.

I'll try it online sometime.
Characters with really good recovery (Sheik, Palutina maybe even DHD and villager) will be able to come back on the stage even after the Dair at low %.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Yeah it's not an actual combo, they are not in hitstun all the way through. Just need to figure out a way where escaping this string is almost impossible.

Characters with really good recovery (Sheik, Palutina maybe even DHD and villager) will be able to come back on the stage even after the Dair at low %.
Ofc I wont be using it on everyone, and definitely not always until I get the hang of it :)

Mr Melo Yellow

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-2813-7966
Ofc I wont be using it on everyone, and definitely not always until I get the hang of it :)
I think this is just a neat little move for marth/lucina players to use in their arsenal when bullying people off the stage. It heavily punishes people trying to dip below the stage for recovery, which forces them to either airdodge or jump out of the way. Both of which can be countered differently

Nasreth

Smash Cadet
As others said, looks like the stunlock disappears right at the end of the combo (before the spike). Sad ;[

On the bright side, dodging the spike requires an air dodge or some fancy DI, which makes their return to the stage somewhat difficult if you follow up properly.

Trickerhere

Smash Ace
Haha nice I was thinking about maining Robin and Lucina. However, I started playing some For Glory matches and then I looked at this thread and I am so thrilled that Lucina can Ken combo. But now primarily just Lucina and secondary Dark Pit.

Last edited:

MLSword

Smash Journeyman

Tested this, and really like it, if I time it right. You earned yourself a spot in the Special Thanks sir :D

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Something else I think we need to consider about this: To play with other players, we have to use online. That means lag. What if the input lag was 2 frames and we only had 2 frames seperating us from a true Ken Combo? Anyways, guys I have a new thought. I was thinking of the Ken Combo definition and realized something: The Ken Combo is a combo with MARTH. Do you guys think maybe we should name this one different since it is a string with Lucina?

MLSword

Smash Journeyman

Chars. that can up b after they have been spiked back to the stage are talked about in parenthesis, of course, I didn't test chars. with super up b custom moves, so that will prob. make a difference too.

Last edited:

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
Tested this, and really like it, if I time it right. You earned yourself a spot in the Special Thanks sir :D
It looks and feels very cool, but sadly side B doesn't have any hitstun (or its very minimal) so they can come out of it or even Nair before giving you the chance to pull off your Uair... :(

Mr Melo Yellow

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-2813-7966
Something else I think we need to consider about this: To play with other players, we have to use online. That means lag. What if the input lag was 2 frames and we only had 2 frames seperating us from a true Ken Combo? Anyways, guys I have a new thought. I was thinking of the Ken Combo definition and realized something: The Ken Combo is a combo with MARTH. Do you guys think maybe we should name this one different since it is a string with Lucina?
The string works for both so I think it's fine as just Ken string

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
First of all, by the looks of things, it isn't really a combo and more testing is needed. Secondly, do you know what level the cpu was in that video, training or otherwise?

Lastly, I just got the string off against a lvl 9 ganondorf. The cpu was able to input the up-b before my d-air was landed. It still got a hit confirm because Ganon's up-b was still in its initial phases. In other words, this can be evaded.

This seems to be just a string, not a combo. So let us not confuse others by calling it something that it is not.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
It looks and feels very cool, but sadly side B doesn't have any hitstun (or its very minimal) so they can come out of it or even Nair before giving you the chance to pull off your Uair... :(
I think that Side b once is very underrated, nerfed from Brawl definitely, but still really good (especcially for edgeguarding Fox and Falco)

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
First of all, by the looks of things, it isn't really a combo and more testing is needed. Secondly, do you know what level the cpu was in that video, training or otherwise?

Lastly, I just got the string off against a lvl 9 ganondorf. The cpu was able to input the up-b before my d-air was landed. It still got a hit confirm because Ganon's up-b was still in its initial phases. In other words, this can be evaded.

This seems to be just a string, not a combo. So let us not confuse others by calling it something that it is not.
I am not saying that it is necessarily a combo, just a habit of mine (The marth main is deep in my blood XD ) Still, in early meta game this might be useful, if a player does not know it is possible and is not expecting a follow up well... we get the ultimate style ;)

Icyie

Smash Rookie
If they can get out of hitstun, you still get an advantageous position out of hitting with SH DB once, so you can mix it up (into possibly the string) from there. Another way if you need a faster move would be:

SH DB, first hit Nair, grab -> dthrow, into the fair -> dair.

Maybe it's not a full combo, but at least it can be considered a setup?

Mr Melo Yellow

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0748-2813-7966
Been trying this online and have been struggling like mad.
The real problem is getting someone in the air and ready to be f-aired. Once I get an f-air on someone in the air, it's fine. But getting them in the right spot is incredibly hard. u-air isn't feasable on humans it seems.
Any ideas?

Lotus*

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alamo_Artistix
3DS FC
5043-4585-3494
Well, it looks like I'm going to have to change my main lol. I managed to Ken String on the cpu, and it's awesome. Plus it's bringing nostalgia as I used to main Marth/Roy in melee before maining Peach. Speaking of which, I've found my matches with Lucina more stable than Peach in Smash 4, regardless of wins/losses.

I guess it's back to a Fire Emblem main for me xD

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
The real problem is getting someone in the air and ready to be f-aired. Once I get an f-air on someone in the air, it's fine. But getting them in the right spot is incredibly hard. u-air isn't feasable on humans it seems.
Any ideas?
Hmmmm... Maybe punishing wiffed dash grabs? Or you can try the short hop db 1 to falling upair to Ken Combo (String, but I will keep saying combo, too much Melee Marth in my blood)

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Lol sorry I didn't update the thread last night with some percent stuff, celebrating the last day with my brother before he has to go back to college.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm zig-zagging between able to do it and finding it difficult. On shorter characters like Wario, I don need the second jump to Dair and can knock him down just fine, but on characters like Marth the Dair doesn't spike downwards and instead hits him to the side. Doing a jump+down spike quickly is also really hard for me. Tips?

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
I'm zig-zagging between able to do it and finding it difficult. On shorter characters like Wario, I don need the second jump to Dair and can knock him down just fine, but on characters like Marth the Dair doesn't spike downwards and instead hits him to the side. Doing a jump+down spike quickly is also really hard for me. Tips?
Practice :D I have it down pretty consistent at this point. It's like when you first are trying to learn to wavedash in Melee- Practice. Practice makes perfect. Prob. not the answer you wanted XD but its the truth. Practice, Practice, Practice.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Any ideas?
When I get home today I will try to find setups, and update the main article with setups for the Ken Combo (Just gonna keep on calling it that and not string so get used to it :p XD )

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
OK so stupid question that makes me sound like a n00b, but how do you change the description thing beneath your name XD I would like to change it.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
OK so stupid question that makes me sound like a n00b, but how do you change the description thing beneath your name XD I would like to change it.
Might as well have left that as a profile post :p

It's a Premium-only feature. You need to buy a Premium status and then you can change it, along with a few other benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom