• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucina Can Ken Combo! Chars. She Can Do It To! Percents! Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lotus*

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alamo_Artistix
3DS FC
5043-4585-3494
Question though, Ken stringing at 30%-50%/40%-60% depending on characters I understand, but I'm having some difficulty with strings/follow-ups at the 0%-30% range...

Can anyone help me out on the right strings for certain percentages?

Last edited:

Nasreth

Smash Cadet
At low percentages your highest damage combos and strings are going to come from grabs, Lotus. Forward throw and down throw are both excellent for setting up an aerial string at 0-30%. Try to grab them again when they land if you can! Every now and then I get some disgustingly good grab -> aerial -> grab strings on people and you can tell it just lets all the wind out of their sails immediately. They play demoralized and slow afterwards xD

PS: At 0% I believe Down Throw -> Back Air -> Forward Air -> Fast Fall -> Forward Smash *might* be a true combo. It's possible that people simply aren't getting the proper DI to escape from me, but I rarely miss that combo on a low percentage grab.

Last edited:

Lotus*

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alamo_Artistix
3DS FC
5043-4585-3494
Ah I see. Finally home now after running errands, so I'll start practicing these combinations. Thanks for the input dude! Now I feel like I have things to work with, all the way into Ken strings so I can spike people xD

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be a true combo. They can get out of that with an airdodge or another aerial.

Lotus*

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alamo_Artistix
3DS FC
5043-4585-3494
Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be a true combo. They can get out of that with an airdodge or another aerial.
So far from the practicing, I've noticed the air dodges as well.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
So far from the practicing, I've noticed the air dodges as well.
You don't even need to see that. Just go into training mode, and if the combo meter does not increment on the second hit, it's not a combo and they can jump, attack, airdodge etc: anything they can normally do. If you tried to do this to a human you'd probably eat an uair when you try to go for the dair. The dair is too slow for a frame trap unfortunately. Honestly Marth and Lucina players ought to be focusing more on falling uairs into tilts/aerials/fsmashes more than old stuff that doesn't even work in the new game. Those can actually combo and are reliable to pull off. I have a video on my channel about it.

I mean we're not even talking about DI here. If they DI'd away or down you'd probably whiff the dair completely.

Last edited:

Lotus*

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alamo_Artistix
3DS FC
5043-4585-3494
You don't even need to see that. Just go into training mode, and if the combo meter does not increment on the second hit, it's not a combo and they can jump, attack, airdodge etc: anything they can normally do. If you tried to do this to a human you'd probably eat an uair when you try to go for the dair. The dair is too slow for a frame trap unfortunately. Honestly Marth and Lucina players ought to be focusing more on falling uairs into tilts/aerials/fsmashes more than old stuff that doesn't even work in the new game. Those can actually combo and are reliable to pull off. I have a video on my channel about it.

I mean we're not even talking about DI here. If they DI'd away or down you'd probably whiff the dair completely.
I'll go to your channel and check it out. The more practice the better. I didn't realize the down Uairs are pretty good in this game. For now I was just practicing with what could work, might still work, etc. Been a while since I have played smash, so I have to break my thumbs in again.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I'll go to your channel and check it out. The more practice the better. I didn't realize the down Uairs are pretty good in this game. For now I was just practicing with what could work, might still work, etc. Been a while since I have played smash, so I have to break my thumbs in again.
Uairs in general are really good in this game. Low landing lag across the board, good hitstun; they're just great punishment tools.

Lotus*

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alamo_Artistix
3DS FC
5043-4585-3494
Uairs in general are really good in this game. Low landing lag across the board, good hitstun; they're just great punishment tools.
Just saw your vid, WOW that's awesome. Gonna try these tools. Foxtrotting made me lol, but it was awesome too nonetheless.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
We addressed this earlier, I acknowledged from the begining that it was not a true combo, but I kept calling it the Ken Combo cuz too much Marth main in me :p I think that I will edit the main post to say that it is not a true combo, to prevent further comments saying that it is not a real combo.

Lotus*

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alamo_Artistix
3DS FC
5043-4585-3494
We addressed this earlier, I acknowledged from the begining that it was not a true combo, but I kept calling it the Ken Combo cuz too much Marth main in me :p I think that I will edit the main post to say that it is not a true combo, to prevent further comments saying that it is not a real combo.
Probably going to have to do that, but I understand where you're coming from.

Last edited:

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Probably going to have to do that, but I understand where you're coming from.
Added text at the beginning. ALSO, starting to add percents at when chars. can be Ken Combo'ed. Started in the middle with Mario, Link, Marth, and Ike. Also, Link for some reason was a ***** to find his percents for some reason. Like, he was 10 times harder then everyone else :urg:

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It's more of a damage dealing trick than a combo; the killing side effect is if you pull it off successfully. And if you didn't, can't complain about adding damage to possibly smash them offscreen.

Last edited:

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Just ran into a problem, after I am done with this thread, I won't know what to do 0-O I still want to contribue more (its not like I am really contributing right now anyways) , SO, any ideas? I will be your grind monster. Maybe I should make a thread on reverse Ken Comboing? Or maybe something else? Any ideas just reply to this. Oh and I will be updating the thread soon with more info on percents. Maybe I will study side b and possible follow ups? I want to try and contribue a lot at least to Lucina's early metagame, as well as be the best Lucina AKA better then all of you with her :chuckle:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Just ran into a problem, after I am done with this thread, I won't know what to do 0-O
Play endlessly like the rest of us. Record Lucina vids with your iPhone in crap quality and contribute to the Video Thread.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Play endlessly like the rest of us. Record Lucina vids with your iPhone in crap quality and contribute to the Video Thread.
I don't have an IPhone :smash: I think I might play a lot of Melee soon, been too long since I played it and I am going to a tournament this weekend XD But yeah, I DO want to contribute SOMETHING more than this, a true combo (or maybe we will find that Lucina has an infinite on all chars. and she will be like ice climbers in Brawl :p But yeah I DO love this game, I think in my favorites list goes: Melee>Brawl And Smash 4 > PM > 64

MaximalGFX

Smash Apprentice
Just ran into a problem, after I am done with this thread, I won't know what to do 0-O I still want to contribue more (its not like I am really contributing right now anyways) , SO, any ideas? I will be your grind monster. Maybe I should make a thread on reverse Ken Comboing? Or maybe something else? Any ideas just reply to this. Oh and I will be updating the thread soon with more info on percents. Maybe I will study side b and possible follow ups? I want to try and contribue a lot at least to Lucina's early metagame, as well as be the best Lucina AKA better then all of you with her :chuckle:
Just keep playing as Lucina and try to find interresting tricks with her. I am gonna do the same on my side.

Lotus*

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alamo_Artistix
3DS FC
5043-4585-3494
Yeah, that's what I'm doing. So far, before reaching the percentages for Ken stringing I do SH> Side B> Uair into U/Side tilt or smash and it seems to chain really nicely. Then from there...well, still have to see what is effective. I can try and record something once I get the chance.

I myself love smash bros brawl for Wii and I remember always having a tough time doing a Ken combo on meta knight and captain falcon because of up b. Glad meta knight doesn't have broken recovery in this game and when I get it I am thinking about making my main Lucina or Geninja. Captain Falcon's Falcon punch will still be a problem though. Can kill at 47% in brawl. Mr R is cool but I kinda think Marth may be almost broken because of aerials.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
I myself love smash bros brawl for Wii and I remember always having a tough time doing a Ken combo on meta knight and captain falcon because of up b. Glad meta knight doesn't have broken recovery in this game and when I get it I am thinking about making my main Lucina or Geninja. Captain Falcon's Falcon punch will still be a problem though. Can kill at 47% in brawl. Mr R is cool but I kinda think Marth may be almost broken because of aerials.
Well let me tell you a couple of things :redface: Marth's aerials are not broken in Brawl XD Marth can't do upair to upair to upair to upair to upair to up b like Meta Knight XD As for Falcon Punch... its not very good. It IS powerful, but is MUCH too slow, and you can easily hit them out of it. Mr. R makes Marth look broken in brawl, but that is just the godliness of Mr.R :chuckle: Oh and you should use Lucina as your main :) But yeah, I am one of those few Melee players who love Brawl almost as much as Melee, I just wish people could see the good in Brawl.

Well the only reason Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch works on me is if I am falling he is like right there waiting on the edge of the stage and if I don't up b right or while falling don't use down b he kills me. Meta knight whacks me to the side of my screen and I use DI but it fails. During I Ken combo before I spike Captain Falcon downward he does up b I hit the wall and fall of a cliff unless I ledgeguard before him. Meta Knight just flies out of the Ken combo. It is just so depressing at times. Melee is cool it is just I am probably one of the worst players.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Well the only reason Captain Falcon's Falcon Punch works on me is if I am falling he is like right there waiting on the edge of the stage and if I don't up b right or while falling don't use down b he kills me. Meta knight whacks me to the side of my screen and I use DI but it fails. During I Ken combo before I spike Captain Falcon downward he does up b I hit the wall and fall of a cliff unless I ledgeguard before him. Meta Knight just flies out of the Ken combo. It is just so depressing at times. Melee is cool it is just I am probably one of the worst players.
Don't be so hard on yourself, we all start somewhere. As for the falcon punch part, try to air dodge it, or even falling side b. As for meta knight... well he is meta knight so ya know..... nothin you can really do there XD I recommend looking up some Mr R. Matches for meta knight help.

Momoeshie

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2723-8562-2360
This thread helps a lot! I've been struggling with lucina lately, but that video from Gawain taught me some new things

Hey MLSword you called Mr. R godlike but I found his style easy to copy. In fact I improved some weaknesses to his style. However I have weaknesses he doesn't have. For example recovery after a down air. Also I can't really do special attacks that we'll like the automatic side sword combo thing. Timing the down b attack is a little off. I use a Wii remote do u think this may be my problem?

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Hey MLSword you called Mr. R godlike but I found his style easy to copy. In fact I improved some weaknesses to his style. However I have weaknesses he doesn't have. For example recovery after a down air. Also I can't really do special attacks that we'll like the automatic side sword combo thing. Timing the down b attack is a little off. I use a Wii remote do u think this may be my problem?
Hmmm.. it does always seem easy to copy pros but remember, it is one thing to do it to a cpu/training mode and another to do it against other people. Also, yes the wiimote has a HUGE impact. I recommend a gamecube controller.

Can't get adapter for Wii u today my sister is sick. Maybe I could somehow show everyone a video of me doin a Ken combo on Wii u. I am okay with Marth not the best however I guarantee the footage would be awesome.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
What exactly is a Ken Combo? Sorry for the newbie question, it's just not what I thought it was lol.

A forward air into a down air. However it won't work well on some characters. So if I have a smash tournament with me and my friends that character will be banned.

MLSword

Smash Journeyman
Well guys, sorry for the inactivity on updating, high school has been kicking my butt lately and my grandfather has surgery yesterday. This Saturday though, I plan to do a BIG update. So get ready for that :D Also, not 100% sure but I think I may have done a Ken Combo (string) with Marth... Hope it was an accident or it was my eyesight playing tricks on me but... PLZ SAKURAI WE NEED MORE TO DIFFERENTIATE LUCINA AND MARF PLZ :cry:

Lotus*

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alamo_Artistix
3DS FC
5043-4585-3494
Woooo...gone for a while. Real life things happened, and my girlfriend was in the hospital. From what I've said before, I was going to record a match with how good down Uairs ar. It was difficult since I do not have 3DS recording gear. I gave up until I ended up realizing something, and I feel like a super noob because of it...I could of just SAVED the matches I did good as replays >. <...

Any who, I'm still at it with random Lucina antics. How's everyone doing?

P.S: Once again, when I get the chance, I will try and record some good Uair usage and hopefully a Ken String, lol

Last edited:

Lotus*

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alamo_Artistix
3DS FC
5043-4585-3494
Sorry for the double post, I'm just putting up what I was busy doing with the Uairs.

Still gotta get used to reactions when it comes to the 3DS control. Still enjoy playing Lucina though xD

Last edited:

Icyie

Smash Rookie
Another thing I might add to this (and others probably know it by now):

This isn't air tight, but I was experimenting with the dodge cancel tech found recently, and I've found that SH Air dodge sets up the falling uair timing perfectly, and it's a safe(?) approach. So I guess that's another way to start the Ken string. Bait out a move, SH Dodge through it, and punish with the string.

Lotus*

Smash Cadet
NNID
Alamo_Artistix
3DS FC
5043-4585-3494
Another thing I might add to this (and others probably know it by now):

This isn't air tight, but I was experimenting with the dodge cancel tech found recently, and I've found that SH Air dodge sets up the falling uair timing perfectly, and it's a safe(?) approach. So I guess that's another way to start the Ken string. Bait out a move, SH Dodge through it, and punish with the string.
Yeah I've been practicing with the SH> air dodges too. I still need to work on those dash grabs and dash dancing Jukes though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom