• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas General Discussion

nimigoha

Smash Ace
PREFACE:
I HIGHLY recommend you turn tap jump on. In fact, it's not even a recommendation. It's just a necessity in my opinion. Leaving it off will hinder you in a lot of cases with DJC aerials, most notably uair.
With that aside:
A good idea is to try and split up your actions evenly amongst both of your hands. I know PewPewU made a video on it a while back describing how splitting your actions means less stress on one hand and greater consistency when performing tech. The example he used was Falco shine bair. If you just use the left stick for the down portion of down b (maybe side portion of bair), then your right hand will rush to b, then y, then a/c stick. Take that, as opposed to down on left stick for down b, then up to jump. This splits up the actions amongst your hands and it's another reason why I find tap jump on to be so useful, especially DJC aerials. Going from y -> tap jump -> up on c stick or a is much easier to me than y -> y -> a/up on c stick
A very good point. However using Z jump adds another dimension.

Me doing SH Magnet>DJC Fair on Shield goes like this:

1: Jump (z)
2: Down (stick)
3: B
4: Jump (z)
5: Fair (cstick)
6: Fade away/fastfall
7: L cancel

1, 3, 4, 5, and 7 are right hand, but 1 and 4 are pointer finger and 3 and 5 are thumb and 7 is middle finger.

2 and 6 are left thumb.

So despite doing 7 inputs between 2 hands, the most any digit does in all of this is 2 inputs.

If I was jumping with Y here, my right thumb would be doing 4 inputs. Switch one to a Tap Jump and both thumbs are doing 3 inputs.

Z jump master race.

zen-bz-

I'm having a main identity crisis.
NNID
Valkauv
A very good point. However using Z jump adds another dimension.

Me doing SH Magnet>DJC Fair on Shield goes like this:

1: Jump (z)
2: Down (stick)
3: B
4: Jump (z)
5: Fair (cstick)
6: Fade away/fastfall
7: L cancel

1, 3, 4, 5, and 7 are right hand, but 1 and 4 are pointer finger and 3 and 5 are thumb and 7 is middle finger.

2 and 6 are left thumb.

So despite doing 7 inputs between 2 hands, the most any digit does in all of this is 2 inputs.

If I was jumping with Y here, my right thumb would be doing 4 inputs. Switch one to a Tap Jump and both thumbs are doing 3 inputs.

Z jump master race.
Yeah it all comes down to preference really. If one prefers having z or a shield button for tap jump, and they're comfortable doing that, then my response is just "go for it buddy, who's stoppin ya"

But I honestly believe tap jump off on Lucas hinders more than it helps.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Yeah it all comes down to preference really. If one prefers having z or a shield button for tap jump, and they're comfortable doing that, then my response is just "go for it buddy, who's stoppin ya"

But I honestly believe tap jump off on Lucas hinders more than it helps.
Just to clarify I use Z jump and have tap jump on.

zen-bz-

NNID
Valkauv
Just to clarify I use Z jump and have tap jump on.
Yeah ik. Did I make it seem like I agreed to tap jump off in replace of a shield button or z? lol. I'm poor at wording stuff sometimes.

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Kick it into f***ing gear, guys. No more patches.

It's time for us to control this game, and not let the patches control us.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
TIME TO HIT THE LAB MOTHERF***ERS

Now that we're super edgy illegal lawbreakers for REAL, I wish we could ****ing swear on this ****ing website. ****.

zen-bz-

NNID
Valkauv
I'm kinda torn right now.
I love this game and playing it, but part of the incentive was future dev content which we won't get, but this game is just so huge to me I can't just give this up. And really with no website, social media, etc. the game won't grow much, if at all.

Time to become the best ****ing Lucas there is.

zen-bz-

NNID
Valkauv
I'm ****ing up.
Swear hour, let's ****ing go

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
No but forreal. Let's stop that now and hit the lab.

No more complaining or whining. We have our final version of Lucas for the foreseeable future. We have the motivation and dedication. Let's not allow this game to die and throw our hard work out the window.

Keep playing
Keep practicing
Keep PM alive

zen-bz-

NNID
Valkauv
Viva la PM?
But yeah, I'm gonna work so hard to do well with Lucas.

D e l t a

I'll be unleashing some tech and showing off my hard work at I Saw Mommy Smashing Santa Claus. Entering singles ONLY because of you guys.
Entering doubles because I got Octo :b

ilysm

sleepy
Wanted to check back here because I still keep a Lucas in my pocket despite my focus on Icies and because I wanted to see how a character board historically unhappy with past patches and hopeful for future ones was handling.

@All of the above: Hell yes. You guys are all awesome. Expect to see me creep about here in the future every now and then; I want to learn as much about as many characters as possible and Lucas is still hella fun.

(also delta i am so so happy i noticed you picked up the lil guy in smash 4)

D e l t a

ilysm ilysm

Sorry to break your heart. It's the only way I could have Lucas as a background on here. I kinda play Sm4sh, but I only abuse top tiers because their movement is good and they have accessible kill moves (kinda like Lucas)

The only characters I can really play in Sm4sh are Diddy, then Pacman/GnW, and Sheik.

As for 4 Lucas, his Dthrow makes me feel some kind of way and his animations don't fit well with the character. Aside from displeasing aesthetics, he feels too clunky & there's ridiculous amounts of freeze frame / hitlag that I can't stand the character

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Narq and I are already in the super spooky lab developing super spooky tech

zen-bz-

NNID
Valkauv
For a good Lucas secondary, who would you guys recommend? I'm personally choosing between MK and Marth, though I'm open to other ideas.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
I think that question can only be properly answered once we have a good idea of matchup spread and can find someone to cover Lucas's bad matchups.

But since they have the same jumpsquat and similar dash dance, plus Marth generally has a solid MU spread and no terrible matchups IMO, he's actually probably a solid pick for now.

Who do you guys think are Lucas's worst 5 matchups?

20PK

Smash Apprentice
REAL BUSTER HOURS who just went to their first tournament in 4 or so months because the drama in their scene died down and ~funeral edition~ and when 0-2?

Neon said in a recent video that rising aerials are where it's at, so I've been experimenting with rising fairs and now I sometimes **** up DJC fair timing lool.

By the way guys does ****ing no-one still do DJC nair
Ya'll talking about the need to discover sp00ky tech yet every Lucas ever I watched I sigh and say you could've done a ****ing DJC nair there

prem

Smash Apprentice
the only matchups ive ever considered to be awful while playing lucas was shiek and marth, everything else ive always felt its even and my fault for losing.

D e l t a

Falco is rough. Sheik is difficult. Marth is even. Fox is even. Falcon is even. Mewtwo is hard. Ness is meh / even. Mario is underdeveloped

Wouldn't worry about any other characters.

Narq and I are already in the super spooky lab developing super spooky tech
Way to never lab anything with me....the Lucas lab master. r00d

D e l t a

I just want one "bugfix" for Lucas this Christmas... that middle hitbox on fair... >:C
For the last time, it's not that bad. The only thing bad is the range nerf, as his 3.0 sweetspot kill power was a bit too much.

Please can you discuss anything else about Lucas with us other than how his moves don't do what you want them to?

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Falco is rough. Sheik is difficult. Marth is even. Fox is even. Falcon is even. Mewtwo is hard. Ness is meh / even. Mario is underdeveloped

Wouldn't worry about any other characters.

Way to never lab anything with me....the Lucas lab master. r00d
I'm on smashladder way more than I am on smashboards so it's easier to talk to him about stuff.
I've only been here more recently cause of the recent issues going on with PM and the dev team

zen-bz-

NNID
Valkauv
I'm on smashladder way more than I am on smashboards so it's easier to talk to him about stuff.
I've only been here more recently cause of the recent issues going on with PM and the dev team
I need to do netplay with you sometime.

D e l t a

You could like, text or call me ;-;

I might try to get netplay working for me again. Maybe this time it'll run faster than 40fps

nimigoha

Smash Ace
I was an extreme Lucas buster at my local today.

Played him in pools, didn't feel like I was playing well after 2 pools sets, switched to Bowser for the rest of the tournament and got 5th.

Some days I just feel like I can't DJC to save my life.

D e l t a

When I don't practice much and get stuck in magnet, I just switch over to Spacies or something. I usually input the jump too fast and it annoys me with all the hitlag.

Being good at Lucas is so difficult compared to every other character lmao

D e l t a

Nope. Fair, Ftikt, Fsmash, and Bair because of the disjoint. That's about all that beats Fox Nair safely

MelloGrunty

Smash Rookie
NNID
shotaberry
3DS FC
3797-7419-4357
in order to beat fox nair, do you have to space above or below it? i played against a fox the other day and struggled a lot because of nair, and i figured fair was the way to go since fox nair clanked with pk freeze but either he would beat me head on or i would mispace and get hit for it.

while im posting, i wanted to ask, what do you guys usually do for handwarmers? personally, i practice wavelands, jump from ledge magnets, and magnet turnaround rising bairs. i remember seeing delta practice platform cancelled double jumping in handwarmers once. what do you guys like to mess around with in 30 seconds to a minute that helps you get back in the lucas groove the fastest?

nimigoha

Smash Ace
Well if you're coming from underneath Fox, maybe his toe is hitting your head before your Fair can come up to meet him?

Try being on the same horizontal plane.

D e l t a

I actually disagree with you on that. I space above Fox with PKF so that I'm falling as he is, and I can catch his head with PKF or hope he fast falls and cancels the move before my projectile can hit him.

Generally I wait for the Fox to Nair shine and punish the shine by spacing it out and attacking then. Fox's Nair goes thru most of our attacks, so it's best not to straight up contest it

==

As for hand warmers, practice tech you'll use in-game or things that feel "off" that day. Frame perfect ledge hop invincible magnets and wave mags (hitting an opponent with magnet then wavedashing back to get a followup) are the two basic things I want to make sure I have down. Everything else is movement and getting back in the feel of the game, especially if it's the first game of the day or I took a break before playing again. Especially since I have custom controls, I make sure nothing got changed and everything does what it should #nojohns. At out of state tournaments or when using my own setup, I know that there shouldn't be an issue.

zen-bz-

NNID
Valkauv
I've lost my Lucas edge cause I've been playing CS:GO too much recently
BibleThump

Last edited:

trancex

Smash Cadet
I have to admit, I really like the hitlag reversion on manget/nair as well as the slight buff to bair. It's a damn shame it didn't get released. :(

Oh well, 3.6 Lucas is still good, but damn that mag/nair hitlag is obnoxious.

Top Bottom