• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas comes out of Nowhere - Discuss thread

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Honestly he seems almost unchanged from Brawl. The only real significant difference
I've seen is a longer rope snake, both for grabbing and especially as a tether.

Other minor tidbits: Nair seems to deal less and slower hits but has a more potent finishing hit.
PK Love (Usmash) seems to have even greater range.

Other than that he'll probably lose Zap Jumping, but also not have to deal with grab-release BS like Ness.

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
I thought someone was trying to play with my heart on this day when I heard Lucas was back in. And I'm SERIOUSLY disgraced by Ness' Lucas customs (HOW IS A MOVE MORE SITUATIONAL AND WORSE THAN PK FLASH, JUST HOW. That's saying something cause Flash is actually decent this game lol).

Then I heard the beautiful Love Theme Remix and I heard his voice again. I started crying a river because the very first newcomer I played in Brawl AND one of my favorite match-ups is finally back in. I shall have 3 mains now. I guess... LOVE IS MEANT TO BE. ;)

ALSO PLEASE BRING THE NATURAL KILLER CYBORG MUSIC IN WITH THE RETURN OF LUCAS ASDFGHJKL

[Excuse this tangent of a rant but when I see that statement, especially now I CRINGE.]

Saying Ness & Lucas are clones is like trying to call a knife and a scissor the same thing. Semi-clones is still inaccurate b/c they literally only share like 6-7 moves (U-air, F-Smash, the specials and possibly the Final Smash cause it wasn't shown here). Now, of those moves, how many of those are ONLY a Speed vs. power difference? That's U-Air, PK Flash/Freeze and F-Smash (Lucas has faster speed). The specials are similar, and some even share the same purpose, but not the same and are different enough.

Lucas' PK Fire always goes perfectly sideways and pushes the opponent away; his way of spacing. Ness' PK Fire traps and goes diagonally downward when used in midair; for a setup.

Lucas' PKT is slower, but goes through hurtboxes for the whole duration of the move, can control with less need for room he's launched faster and hits several times along with gaining more distance (and let us hope he can do the PKT2 rebound). Ness' PKT disappears after the initial frames when he hits something, requires more room to turn and gets an EXTREMELY powerful blow when he hits something, but distance gets reduced for him.

I don't know how the Magnet is gonna be this game for Lucas, b/c Ness' got improved in everyway (at least when I compare it to his Magnet custom) - Ness has less lag and more healing power. I'm taking it that Lucas' would actually KO like it could in Brawl... Don't know if they'd make the healing on his even more compared to Ness considering he heals 1.6x the damage (but with a 30% cap). o.o

And Flash/Freeze is indeed a Power/Speed difference, but the Freeze can allow some neat follow-ups with Lucas (possibly a Nair or a PKT2) while Flash just outright KOs. They're also good at eating shields away.

If you still think so, then I guess "Robin & Ness are clones cause they have magic attacks and can use Electric & Fire attacks and EL FIRE IS TOO SIMILAR TO PK FIRE".

Soul.

Oh yeah, I wonder if his Magnet Pull technique will come back. You can still B-reverse and wavebounce, so it's not that...wild, so to speak.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
Snip snip
Lucas, alongside Wolf, was a semi-clone of Ness. They shared specials that were alike but their neutrals / aerials were really different. Ness and Lucas shared a Fsmash but that was really it.

They're both different characters, they just share similar qualities. I want to say think like Ryu and Ken or Akuma. Or something.

Ryu and Evil Ryu?

All this Lucas talk makes me feel bad for not finishing Mother 3, yet. I really ought to at some point...

MajoraNess

Smash Rookie
NNID
MajoraNess
3DS FC
2492-4601-1795
Honestly he seems almost unchanged from Brawl. The only real significant difference
I've seen is a longer rope snake, both for grabbing and especially as a tether.

Other minor tidbits: Nair seems to deal less and slower hits but has a more potent finishing hit.
PK Love (Usmash) seems to have even greater range.

Other than that he'll probably lose Zap Jumping, but also not have to deal with grab-release BS like Ness.
It does seem that way, yes. But don't know how you know his Nair deals less.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman
I have 2 questions for now:

How good will be the new PK Fire?
If Ness is already is one of the best characters of the game... How good Lucas is going to be?

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
U-Smash looks stronger, N-air looks better as a move, range looks buffed on most attacks including the spikebox on b-air and the flare from PK-fire, obviously now D-throw buries it's a seemingly great set-up. I think damage will be reduced on most moves though, but that U-smash is still gonna be delicious AF.

I think the only difference between Brawl Lucas and Smash 4 Lucas is his visuals and the fact that OH MY F***ING GOD, LUCAS IN SMASH 4 MY MAIN IS BACK. (The fact he was announced on my b-day was just golden, I swear.)

:joyful:

Daddy Sakurai, pls.

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an
I have 2 questions for now:

How good will be the new PK Fire?
If Ness is already is one of the best characters of the game... How good Lucas is going to be?
The new PK Fire will be weird. While Ness' is good for trapping, Lucas' is better for damage or knockback, methinks. I can't really put a finger on it.

Lucas will either be better or worse than Ness. With Smash 4's engine, he could be better or they could be equal.

I really hope he's good. I want to play Lucas again.

elusiveTranscendent

Smash Lord
NNID
elusiveTranscend
3DS FC
2105-8699-9997
I thought someone was trying to play with my heart on this day when I heard Lucas was back in. And I'm SERIOUSLY disgraced by Ness' Lucas customs (HOW IS A MOVE MORE SITUATIONAL AND WORSE THAN PK FLASH, JUST HOW. That's saying something cause Flash is actually decent this game lol).

Then I heard the beautiful Love Theme Remix and I heard his voice again. I started crying a river because the very first newcomer I played in Brawl AND one of my favorite match-ups is finally back in. I shall have 3 mains now. I guess... LOVE IS MEANT TO BE. ;)

ALSO PLEASE BRING THE NATURAL KILLER CYBORG MUSIC IN WITH THE RETURN OF LUCAS ASDFGHJKL

[Excuse this tangent of a rant but when I see that statement, especially now I CRINGE.]

Saying Ness & Lucas are clones is like trying to call a knife and a scissor the same thing. Semi-clones is still inaccurate b/c they literally only share like 6-7 moves (U-air, F-Smash, the specials and possibly the Final Smash cause it wasn't shown here). Now, of those moves, how many of those are ONLY a Speed vs. power difference? That's U-Air, PK Flash/Freeze and F-Smash (Lucas has faster speed). The specials are similar, and some even share the same purpose, but not the same and are different enough.

Lucas' PK Fire always goes perfectly sideways and pushes the opponent away; his way of spacing. Ness' PK Fire traps and goes diagonally downward when used in midair; for a setup.

Lucas' PKT is slower, but goes through hurtboxes for the whole duration of the move, can control with less need for room he's launched faster and hits several times along with gaining more distance (and let us hope he can do the PKT2 rebound). Ness' PKT disappears after the initial frames when he hits something, requires more room to turn and gets an EXTREMELY powerful blow when he hits something, but distance gets reduced for him.

I don't know how the Magnet is gonna be this game for Lucas, b/c Ness' got improved in everyway (at least when I compare it to his Magnet custom) - Ness has less lag and more healing power. I'm taking it that Lucas' would actually KO like it could in Brawl... Don't know if they'd make the healing on his even more compared to Ness considering he heals 1.6x the damage (but with a 30% cap). o.o

And Flash/Freeze is indeed a Power/Speed difference, but the Freeze can allow some neat follow-ups with Lucas (possibly a Nair or a PKT2) while Flash just outright KOs. They're also good at eating shields away.

If you still think so, then I guess "Robin & Ness are clones cause they have magic attacks and can use Electric & Fire attacks and EL FIRE IS TOO SIMILAR TO PK FIRE".
AGREED

He's back

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
U-Smash looks stronger, N-air looks better as a move, range looks buffed on most attacks including the spikebox on b-air and the flare from PK-fire, obviously now D-throw buries it's a seemingly great set-up. I think damage will be reduced on most moves though, but that U-smash is still gonna be delicious AF.

I think the only difference between Brawl Lucas and Smash 4 Lucas is his visuals and the fact that OH MY F***ING GOD, LUCAS IN SMASH 4 MY MAIN IS BACK. (The fact he was announced on my b-day was just golden, I swear.)

Daddy Sakurai, pls.
That's if you manage to land the U-Smash.

Jee412

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jee412
The possibilities with his down-throw is just mind blowing since it buries. OMG. That mean if time right, we can land almost every move that he has *.*

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
That's if you manage to land the U-Smash.
I'll U-smash you IRL. 1v1 me m8. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No, but seriously, as I said before, it looks like there's a range buff on Lucas, and I hit this thing enough in Brawl as it was. His U-smash is absoloutely amazing IMO, and you never know what kinda techs he'll have up his sleeve - like others have said, his down throw buries now, that could be "it". Then again, it could be super-trash, and could have been nerfed to Mother[3]ing hell for all we know. U-Smash hoo-hah confirmed? Guess we'll never know how good it is until he's released. For now, we can hope.

RBreadsticks

Smash Apprentice
So hyped from that video cant wait to play him and mewtwo hopefully they'll give us more than 2. Didn't they say at some point that mewtwo would be the only one?

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
sorry to burst your bubbles about the Dthrow, but its just a grapfic effect that he throw the opponent hard down on the ground.
why? because the opponent flies up after the throw and lucas didnt do any attack.

BUT it has almost no lag after so Lucas can possible to DThrow->Upsmash at smaller % and DThrow-> UAir in higher and DThrow -> Nair/Dair in the middle!

I am thinking of a combo like this:

Dtilt -> 2 Jabs -> Grab -> Dthrow -> UAir (depence how powerful it is, if it is low power, it could be used more. or if its a good power it can be a killer move) or NAir

Dtilt -> 2 jabs -> SideSmash (could be upsmash or downsmasl, but side smash seems the fastest of them!)

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
sorry to burst your bubbles about the Dthrow, but its just a grapfic effect that he throw the opponent hard down on the ground.
why? because the opponent flies up after the throw and lucas didnt do any attack.

BUT it has almost no lag after so Lucas can possible to DThrow->Upsmash at smaller % and DThrow-> UAir in higher and DThrow -> Nair/Dair in the middle!

Dtilt -> 2 Jabs -> Grab -> Dthrow -> UAir (depence how powerful it is, if it is low power, it could be used more. or if its a good power it can be a killer move)

Dtilt -> 2 jabs -> SideSmash (could be upsmash or downsmasl, but side smash seems the fastest of them!)
Or Nair instead of Up air.

Dirty Duck

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheThirdChild
3DS FC
3351-4520-5317
:4lucas:So I was thinking this needs to be a thing.:4lucas:
Post your reaction, or your favourite Reaction from another user.
I asked my friend to record my reaction but the ****** was too busy playing Smash and didn't set up the Skype recorder, so he left the call to fix it and while he did that Lucas was announced.

It's a shame, my reaction was pretty hilarious haha

BSXDrayden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BladeSatoshiX
While I didn't record my reaction, I do remember squealing a little in excitement and going "LUCAS!!?? LUCAS!!?? GUY'S IT CAN'T BE HAPPENING!! I WAS KIDDING WHEN I SAID HE'D BE ANNOUNCED TODAY! BUT IT'S THE LOVE THE-THERE HE IS!! HE'S HERE AAAAAH!!! LUCAS!!!" And then I couldn't stop thinking about him for the next 45 minutes of the Direct. I got an actual adrenaline rush and struggled to sleep afterwards.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
That dthrow could be disgusting with his up smash.

PK Get Love'd.

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
I didn't like Lucas in Brawl.......

..... but I'm soooo happy he came back. When I heard that music, wow..... I was very surprised. Oh Sakurai.

What an amazing announcement. NO SPOILERS. NO-ONE EXPECTED THIS!

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
it would have been really really good if they also announced mother 3 as well but the entire fandom would have filled every hospital and nintendo would have been the cause of genocide but they would have died happily

Galaxian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Galax1an

Dtilt -> 2 Jabs -> Grab -> Dthrow -> UAir (depence how powerful it is, if it is low power, it could be used more. or if its a good power it can be a killer move) or NAir

But you can mash out of the grounded state, right?

Let a man hope.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Was literally screaming in my house when they revealed him. I'm so hyped that I'm just watching Brawl / Project M tourney matches with Lucas and I feel like as long as he isn't so bad to the point he's not at least the littlest viable, I'm going to play him so hard.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
I'll U-smash you IRL. 1v1 me m8. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No, but seriously, as I said before, it looks like there's a range buff on Lucas, and I hit this thing enough in Brawl as it was. His U-smash is absoloutely amazing IMO, and you never know what kinda techs he'll have up his sleeve - like others have said, his down throw buries now, that could be "it". Then again, it could be super-trash, and could have been nerfed to Mother[3]ing hell for all we know. U-Smash hoo-hah confirmed? Guess we'll never know how good it is until he's released. For now, we can hope.
You'd probably beat me in a match anyway. I main Ness, but I'm casual. So how good would U-Smash be if it's faster to land? Cause if it is... That will be just delicious.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
You'd probably beat me in a match anyway. I main Ness, but I'm casual. So how good would U-Smash be if it's faster to land? Cause if it is... That will be just delicious.
lol, I'm kinda casual too, tbh. But yeah it was pretty nasty in Brawl when you dashed in with it from my experience. IIRC the lingering, huge hitbox was just what made it really nasty in general, but the thing hit like a truck too, so if it was faster, I can only imagine that would buff it out even more. A lot of people see that U-Smash as a real nasty move already from what I know, so if it is better in Smash 4, god help us all.

Top Bottom