• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucario does good damage when hes at high damage but is it worth it?

Klasens1

Smash Rookie
Lucario does good damage when he has high damage. But once your there it gets hard to deal damage.

Is it worth it to play as him? Because you can only start dealing serious damage once you have already recived serious damage.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
It's how Lucario works.
Low damage he has low damage but also low knock back on his attacks, so he's a combo monster. When your opponent is at killing percent, you generally have higher damage to kill too.
It's not about doing as much damage as you can, there's other ways to finish your enemies.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
you CAN KO an opponent with low %, you just need to work a little more into it.
Lucario is ideal if you can keep your head cool in the heat of battle. normally people begin to lose it in high % and make a mistake that gets them KO'ed. when playing lucario you need to focus and stay on defensive through the fight, especially in the end.
oh, and the worst tactic possible if you're using lucario is letting the opponent hit you on purpose. Don't. Do. That.

Captain Stupid

Smash Apprentice
yeah lucario does half damage at low percentages compared to mostly all the characters, normal at like 100s and just owns around 150+ but all you have to do when at a low percentage is combo. Lucario is one of the best at doing that. So just focus on your combo abilites, and your set

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
As long as you don't get hit at a high percentage, and you land your combos well, you should be straight.

Milln

Smash Champion
That i've gotten much better through practice, I find myself avoiding decent hits that would KO me until i'm at 150-200%. It's so awesome. Take out two stocks and get 30% on the next one. XD I'm not even playing newbies. The most important part of playing Lucario is keeping calm and focusing and watching your opponent.

Barret3B

Smash Cadet
From my experience Lucario's best asset is how defensive he can play, and I don't mean camping with short hopped aura spheres. He is unique in that he has long range, high priority quick attacks that he can space himself with safely and quickly.

Another thing is not only playing smart but excelling at DI and recovering without getting gimped since, with Lucario's unique traits, Lucario's stock are more important that anyone elses in the game since he is the most likely to make a comeback at high percentages. That means mastering Extreme Speed and knowing what stages he can effectively wall cling to.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Lucario is also a mindgame monster and has some of THE best hitboxes out of any character in the game. He can cover himself from the front, the back, the top and the bottom (especially the bottom) with ease.

And even throwing one baby aura sphere puts your opponent in a position where they could fall right into your trap.

Also, he's one of the few characters in the game who has real combos.

ScottSadistic

Smash Journeyman
It's how Lucario works.
Low damage he has low damage but also low knock back on his attacks, so he's a combo monster. When your opponent is at killing percent, you generally have higher damage to kill too.
It's not about doing as much damage as you can, there's other ways to finish your enemies.

ha...took the words right out of my mouth

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
At 100%+ damage, Lucario has enough power to KO most foes that have their damage below 150%.

However, at 0% damage, Lucario's attacks will only have a huge impact if its target has over 200% damage.

Warrior21

Smash Rookie
Ummm, yeah. Totally worth it, I mean it's why i picked Lucario as my main pre-release. Frankly, I'm not much of a blocker/shielder so this aspect of "hit me, and I only get stronger!" was of great benefit. You see, that's the real strategy of Lucario. Most other characters would be getting worried at higher percentages (though that worry is still there), however Lucario, well i'd say it's like instead of getting scared, HE GETS SERIOUS.

Combo and damage them while at a low percentages and then when your percentage gets high enough, GO FOR THE KILL!!!! Hope this helps some.

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
Lucario is also a mindgame monster and has some of THE best hitboxes out of any character in the game. He can cover himself from the front, the back, the top and the bottom (especially the bottom) with ease.

And even throwing one baby aura sphere puts your opponent in a position where they could fall right into your trap.

Also, he's one of the few characters in the game who has real combos.
ah crap i forgot about mindgames. here's my opinion:
Try thinking with the opponent you're playing against:
He's a Lucario, with 140% damage, a fully charged aura sphere, and got a counter ability. if I rush him he'll hit me HARD, if i take it slow he will just take advantage and attack. he's got a great dodge and his attacks have longer range.
noticed? your opponent is DESPERATE!! NOW is when you take full advantage of playing with Lucario. the opponent will be worrying his *** off too much to notice you are ALSO afraid of getting hit and flying away. combine it with double team (block!!) force palm (rush him, fake out and grab him!) dair (need i say more?). take it easy and the fight is yours!!

though, of COURSE it isn't easy to do all this. what were you thinking?

AnderFREAK

Smash Rookie
I'm kind of a newbie to Smash in general, but when Brawl came out I switched mains from Falco(melee) and started practicing with Lucario from day 1 and I was able to actually hold my own at a little gathering near seattle, my first time ever playing competitive people.

But I can attest, and fully believe, that Lucario=The Sh*t. =P

Mezna

Smash Cadet
The damage = power is totally worth it. At least for me. Weird as it sounds, my playing skill isn't set. I actually get better the longer a battle goes on. So often I kinda go 'berserker' and go nuts at high percents. Example - 3 stock battle. My friend has 2 lives, I have 1. He is about like 70% I'm at 25. He tries going for the kill, but I'm like "LOL NO" and go crazy killing. he dies, I'm at like 70%(I suck), but when he comes back I have more power to make up for the fact that I was gettign my *** kicked earlier. In the end, I win with like 150% and he dies because my uber buffed FSmash.

Browny

Smash Hater
Lucario does good damage when he has high damage. But once your there it gets hard to deal damage.

Is it worth it to play as him? Because you can only start dealing serious damage once you have already recived serious damage.

Lucario doesnt deal good damage when hes high, he deals INSANE damage. d-air does 22% and aura sphere hits like a truck. anyone over 80% isnt going to survive it.

If its a fair battle and you and the opponent are around 90%, lucario is already putting out more damage than most characters in the game.

Cs_Nexus

Smash Apprentice
Lucario has amazing an amazing DAIR that stops you in mid air.
If your good you can analog recover from tumbling in the air,
and DIAR to stop your momentum of flying off screen..
SO SEEEEEEEEICK!!!!

If I had to choose a main...
Lucario is a prime candidate.

CSTIK

Smash Cadet
that's why he is the coolest, when it seems you are going to loose you get more power >:)

and is really important as Tallen said to keep your head cool
Very true. My friend and I are both Lucario mains, and when we 1v1, no one knows who will win lol.

The damage = power is totally worth it. At least for me. Weird as it sounds, my playing skill isn't set. I actually get better the longer a battle goes on. So often I kinda go 'berserker' and go nuts at high percents. Example - 3 stock battle. My friend has 2 lives, I have 1. He is about like 70% I'm at 25. He tries going for the kill, but I'm like "LOL NO" and go crazy killing. he dies, I'm at like 70%(I suck), but when he comes back I have more power to make up for the fact that I was gettign my *** kicked earlier. In the end, I win with like 150% and he dies because my uber buffed FSmash.
seriously. I have turned SO many matches around that way. Also, if you can't kill Lucario immediately after you die, you're ****ed! If you have a bad life, you might even die again before killing him! I love him, but my friends who play with me use Wolf and Olimar >.>

Browny

Smash Hater
ah crap i forgot about mindgames.
The mindgames are definitely epic. tonight i was up 2-0 against MK in a 3 stock match, starting at 168% with a fully charged aura sphere. Honestly, if i was in his position i would just resort to spamming mach tornado until i was well above 250% so a tilt will kill me. he was so scared to approach me i just pummeled him with aura spheres when he finally decided to attack he was already on about 60%.

imo aura spheres are so important in keeping the midgames up. that, and getting on high % makes for rediculously easy bait against characters who will soon be eating a double team.

so they have a choice, get camped with aura sphere, try to attack me with weak attacks which i wont counter, and run the risk of taking on lucarios disjointed hitboxes head on, or go for the kill and be countered.

Sytilac

Smash Rookie
If you can combo with him he can do serious damage with or without his ability

Tallen

Smash Journeyman
Also remember that if you're behind in stock you also get damage bonus (i think it was around 0.3 or 0.4% for every stock the opponent has more) which cummulates with your damage. yeah you can do MORE than 26% with aura sphere!!
i guess one of my most memorable matches was one which I was pitted against a wolf user. he KO'ed me twice before I had a chance to combo him accurately. one stock to three, i knew I was a goner. "what the heck then" i thought and wen't full-force at him. I actually managed to KO him TWICE in a row before even getting to 120%!! sadly I misguided my dair and he usmashed me all the way to hades. still that was awesome. too bad you can't save matches with more tha 3 minutes...
totally epic =D

Top Bottom