• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

StormC

Smash Hero
Just curious... I know its really preliminary, but have the impressions for ridley changed much since the beginning of his inclusion when people first got to play him? People were calling him broken at first.. but now I'm hearing he might not be viable?
Nobody was really calling Ridley broken at first except people who didn't understand that his down B is highly impractical in competitive play. He's about the same as the initial impressions, has some good tools but potentially damning drawbacks. We won't have a full picture until the game is out and the meta has developed healthily, but I'm personally expecting Ridley to be mid-low tier.

As long as he can avoid the dreaded bottom five I'll be okay with it.

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
I hope to get a Ridley Amiibo and name it Alien, a complement to my Samus named Ripley.

The Alien series was a big influence on Metroid.

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
That new Ridley theme kicks all sorts of ass!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Huge screwoff post,, apparently all these are Smash avatars.
https://imgur.com/NbLRFX0

Does anyone recognize where the Nightmare art is from?
Interesting. On one hand, it's probably fair to say the majority of these characters won't be candidates for Smash DLC (even in light of Piranha plant.). On the other, some still seem harder to just brush away. I don't think player icons like this deconfirm any one.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Yeah that Nightmare art is brand new, like Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt said, the angle and mouth are completely new and don't resemble anything from Fusion or Other M.

1543199494143.png

This is its Fusion sprite for reference.

I really really really hope this doesn't mean Nightmare will be in the next Metroid game. Other M recycling it was bad enough.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah that Nightmare art is brand new, like Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt said, the angle and mouth are completely new and don't resemble anything from Fusion or Other M.

View attachment 179832

I really really really hope this doesn't mean Nightmare will be in the next Metroid game. Other M recycling it was bad enough.
But recycling Ridley endlessly is OK?...

IronTed

Smash Ace
But recycling Ridley endlessly is OK?...
Do you really think Ridley and Nightmare are comparable to each other?

Edit: Ridley is both Samus' archnemesis and an outlier. Over 30+ years of Metroid no boss has appeared as frequently as Ridley, for various apparent reasons. Ridley as an exception is logical (and was logical at the time), but having more bosses who are just functionally mindless beasts become recurring is too much imo. I can see people really liking Nightmare and it's fine to do so. But he wasn't really set up to be recurring in a way that doesn't seem forced.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Do you really think Ridley and Nightmare are comparable to each other?
Maybe not, but it just happens so often in Metroid that I'm probably desensitized to it.

- Arachnus was brought from Return Of Samus to Fusion
- Dark Samus revives three times in one game
- There's always at least one Metroid left, even when they're all supposed to be dead
- Besides Nightmare, Other M also brought back Phantoon
- If he hadn't been scrapped, Kraid would have returned in Metroid Prime

IronTed

Smash Ace
Maybe not, but it just happens so often in Metroid that I'm probably desensitized to it.

- Arachnus was brought from Return Of Samus to Fusion
- Dark Samus revives three times in one game
- There's always at least one Metroid left, even when they're all supposed to be dead
- Besides Nightmare, Other M also brought back Phantoon
- If he hadn't been scrapped, Kraid would have returned in Metroid Prime

All of these are true. In fact I agree with some, the way they keep bringing back Metroids is comical and at times almost lazy.

Arachnus is defensible given that B.S.L. had a sector that mimicked SR388.

Dark Samus having multiple resurrections in Echoes isn't really getting at my point, and she had a good reason. She was relevant to the Trilogy and didn't feel forced.

Phantoon, and Kraid I'll give you. IIRC Mother Brain was going to be in Prime as well at one point.

Nightmare just bothers me because Fusion never made it seem like a mass-produced thing (Other M didn't as well). Him returning could also imply another B.S.L. or Botteship scenario which would be samey. But I could be reading too much into it.

Edit: Given the last two 2D Metroids have been remakes and Other M being a crappy Fusion retelling, the next Sakamoto game shouldn't be samey. The Prime games have been better with this, especially after the first game released. But I do get your broader point, recycling has always been there.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Heh.

I’d be alright with a Nightmare return depending on how it’s done. He was an interesting boss in both game appearances, but it’d be just as well to have some other gravity manipulating abomination to fight in a future game since Nightmare’s supposed to be a one of a kind creation as far as we know.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I wouldn't mind having Nightmare appear as the new Metroid boss in Smash if anything, really. There's some really interesting gimmicks you could go for in making it an interesting boss fight, like its gravitational manipulation of the environment to make the players slower, floatier, etc. And it has a weak point, so you'd have to be sure your hits land successfully instead of just mindlessly wailing on it.

Though I still want Her Majesty the Queen Metroid itself as the new boss, if only for Ridley to have the chance to get his revenge on it. :p

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
How would you guys rank his costumes?
I just remembered I wanted to do this when I was away for Thanksgiving:

1. Default -xD Since in my extensive artistic headcanon this appearance originates from my Ridley Bros. fusing, it will be always the most important.

2. Meta -Also because of my headcanon, where Ridley would take his Meta form (painfully) to spare Roidley the agony temporarily by going into the fray all by himself, also, I like how it is closer to SM/Brawl Ridley.

3-Robot Ridley colored Meta - I like the color scheme. Having OG Ridley with white scales reminded me of my Catrin Ridley.

4- Red Rids - I love red. As simple as that.

5- Metroid 1 colored Ridley - xD I feel like I want to do a meme of "144 p- 4K Ridley" with this one.

6- 24 Carat Gold Ridley- I wish it had the red eyes and the gold membranes or at least red to feel like you are playing with a living gold statue. xP Also wish it had actually been the Charizard alt just for the irony.

7- Green Rids - Like the combination and reference to ZM.

8- Blue Rids - xD Brings back memories of bleeding ears.

Of course, my most wished one was an Omega color scheme, but it being based on neutral colors like browns, black/grays and his exposed muscles being red-purple-ish might have been hard to implement in something more simple as this Meta Ridley in comparison to the original Omega form, I dunno. Proteus would have been easier to do, I think.

Last edited:

Gerrothorax

Smash Apprentice
We now have the official names for all of Ridley's special moves
Neutral Special: Plasma Breath
Side Special: Space Dragon Rush
Up Special: Wing Blitz
Down Special: Skewer
Final Smash: Plasma Scream

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There are a lot of people who criticize Metroid's tendency to reuse bosses a lot, but I don't mind, quite the contrary in fact, I love seeing old faces pop up now and then. For me Metroid isn't supposed to be this grand story that will look nice on a Wikipedia page, I usually view the game's story largely in isolation (unless it makes a point out of depending on the other games, like Other M), and it's not one of the things I put a huge emphasis on either way.

Some things I really hope return for gameplay purposes aswell, like I'd absolutely love to fight Kraid in a Prime game, and Nightmare aswell since we're on the topic, the gravity mechanic would be cool in first person. Ridley always has the best fights too, so again, he just has to return imo.

I feel the same way about Zelda games, there are a lot of people who obsess over where each game fits in the timeline and such, but I've always just looked at the games themselves and not really where they fit in the grand scheme. With Metroid it's obviously a bit more relevant where it fits into the timeline, but sometimes it's also just about placing the game where it's the least inconvenient (like the Prime series).

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
How would you guys rank his costumes?
1. For the moment, default. There are other colored versions or forms I generally tend to think of first when it comes to Ridley, but with the default skin still being what I'm used to seeing the most of with him in the game, it sticks out to me a bit more than the others I guess. Maybe one of the next skins will get pushed to my #1 spot when I expose myself to them more throughout my playtime.

2. Red. Apart from being my favorite color in general, the Super Metroid artwork and box cover appearance was my first ever exposure to the character and Metroid as a whole, so I think it's fair to be ranked this high by me, despite my partiality to...

3. Meta Ridley. Arguably his most iconic form, whose design as a skin surpassed most expectations with all the buzz its Ultimate render generated when first revealed.

4. Gold. The lack of red eyes doesn't bother me as much as others, though definitely would've been nice, but it's still more or less my "Goldar alt" that I see being a fun secondary favorite.

5. Robot Ridley Meta recolor.

6. Dark blue Neo/Ridley-X recolor.

7. Green Zero Mission recolor.

8. Light purple w/ green wings recolor.

Though don't have as much to say on the last half, none of the skins I dislike particularly, which I see all being used at some points; some more than others.

There are a lot of people who criticize Metroid's tendency to reuse bosses a lot, but I don't mind, quite the contrary in fact, I love seeing old faces pop up now and then. For me Metroid isn't supposed to be this grand story that will look nice on a Wikipedia page, I usually view the game's story largely in isolation (unless it makes a point out of depending on the other games, like Other M), and it's not one of the things I put a huge emphasis on either way.

Some things I really hope return for gameplay purposes aswell, like I'd absolutely love to fight Kraid in a Prime game, and Nightmare aswell since we're on the topic, the gravity mechanic would be cool in first person. Ridley always has the best fights too, so again, he just has to return imo.

I feel the same way about Zelda games, there are a lot of people who obsess over where each game fits in the timeline and such, but I've always just looked at the games themselves and not really where they fit in the grand scheme. With Metroid it's obviously a bit more relevant where it fits into the timeline, but sometimes it's also just about placing the game where it's the least inconvenient (like the Prime series).
I'm not that conservative when it comes to reusing other bosses, especially as one who would like to see Crocomire and some again get past the concept/beta phase, just Nightmare I have a harder time seeing written back in somewhere, but if there's an interesting or creative way to bring Nightmare back, then would say go for it.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
We now have the official names for all of Ridley's special moves
Neutral Special: Plasma Breath
Side Special: Space Dragon Rush
Up Special: Wing Blitz
Down Special: Skewer
Final Smash: Plasma Scream
I freakin' love the names they came up with but the FS in particular made me imagine Ridley with the silly I'M FIRIN' MY LAZER face when doing it and I don't know if I should hate my mind for even thinking it. Yeah, I think I should.

And instead of Skewer, when in his Meta form, I am going to call it Stabby Kitchen Knife (I cannot brush off the idea, the tip reminds me way too much of one xD)...I am just glad the misplaced tail was just a render issue and it actually comes out of his butt and not from somewhere else. I wish they fixed the render tho, but at least got chuckles out of me. XP

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

View attachment 179832

Reusing Nightmare is fine, Other M just did it poorly by making it SIGNIFICANTLY less creepy. Have it still constantly leak slime from fhe mask before slowly melting away with that ****ing scary ass theme it had in Fusion

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm not that conservative when it comes to reusing other bosses, especially as one who would like to see Crocomire and some again get past the concept/beta phase, just Nightmare I have a harder time seeing written back in somewhere, but if there's an interesting or creative way to bring Nightmare back, then would say go for it.
Well, it's easier if each appearance he gets is chronologically earlier than the last.

I freakin' love the names they came up with but the FS in particular made me imagine Ridley with the silly I'M FIRIN' MY LAZER face when doing it and I don't know if I should hate my mind for even thinking it. Yeah, I think I should.

And instead of Skewer, when in his Meta form, I am going to call it Stabby Kitchen Knife (I cannot brush off the idea, the tip reminds me way too much of one xD)...I am just glad the misplaced tail was just a render issue and it actually comes out of his butt and not from somewhere else. I wish they fixed the render tho, but at least got chuckles out of me. XP
Plasma Scream makes me think of Lord Raptor's similarly named Evil Scream super for some reason. Also I had Blitz in my head when thinking of up special too, except it was Omega Blitz instead since Smash Wiki referenced it to that incarnation (who is an avatar, surprisingly).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok guys the streamers found which character for classic mode to get :ultridley: to challenge you it’s :ultlucina:

And you need :ultmarth: or :ultryu: for lucina

So Ridley can be the third character unlocked if you get Marth with world of light which is at the very beginning of the map

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ok guys the streamers found which character for classic mode to get :ultridley: to challenge you it’s :ultlucina:

So Ridley can be the third character unlocked if you get Marth with world of light which is at the very beginning of the map
Nice to know, especially since it's been confirmed Amiibos don't unlock characters, and (without getting into spoiler territory) he hasn't yet been found in World of Light.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

So, it's absolutely confirmed that certain classic modes trigger the unlocking (or, I presume the battle to unlock the fighting availability) of a certain corresponding character? Hmm. how new.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Something really awesome I saw a level 9 CPU of all things pull off.

Hardly any character can punish this in this situation without buffering a turnaround, even less so at that range. Up Smash has its niche uses.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Somehow it’s actually kinda appropriate that you need to use another Action Girl to unlock Ridley. :b

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Am I the only one just a little bit annoyed that you don't unlock characters with other characters from their respective series when applicable? I.E. beat Classic with Donkey Kong for Diddy or K. Rool, Beat Classic with Samus for ZSS/DS/Ridley, etc. It's not a big deal but it bothers me just slightly nonetheless.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Somehow it’s actually kinda appropriate that you need to use another Action Girl to unlock Ridley. :b
On top of that Lucian does have a mission to defeat a dragon

And this is hilarious but ridleys unlock is chrom

She made a deal with Ridley to get her dad in for playable

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432

I’m pleased that I can get Ridley fairly quickly. I don’t even have to go far in WoL to get Marth. All I have to do is go through Classic with Marth, get Lucina then play classic again and bam! Ridley.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
If Metroid Prime 4 is about Sylux, then there's some logic to a boss monster created by the Galactic Federation showing up in Metroid Prime 4.

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
My fellow Space pirates, Christmas came early, I was pre-ordering the Ridley amiibo and the guy in walmart says he couldn't because the system allowed them to sell it sooooooo

He's beautiful :ultridley:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Top Bottom