• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
After watching the Guidance Convo for Ridley, I think it's one of the better ones so far. You can tell Sakurai and his team wanted to be very faithful to Ridley's character and deep history with Samus. He's not some mindless monster - he's brutal and vicious, yet very intelligent. Enough to try and make a robot likeness of himself, which also says something about him being a narcissist.

I'm glad that they took this approach for Ridley's Guidance Convo rather than just regurgitate the "Too big, we finally shrunk him down" joke for one last time.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Oh boy, here we go!

That was one of the best of Palutena's Guidance I've seen. Palutena explaining Ridley's backstory is gold. It's like she's one of us.. Though I wish they did better with K. Rool's and they kinda went in too much about bananos. They could have explained K. Rool's backstory, personalities, weapons, etc. Ridley's was great in every way.

With that I just preordered Ultimate! I can't wait to play this game. It's gonna be fun.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Well, Ridley really was pretty damn represented in this game. After all this time, we can say that he is just as we expected him in the series.

Sakurai and the Dev team's efforts really paid off.

:bowser:.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Personally I'd rank them as such:
1. Default
2. Robot
3. Meta
4. Green
5. Red
6. NES
7. Blue
8. Gold

The golden statue costume would have been higher if they went all out and gave him red eyes and a golden wingspan, instead it's like only halfway there. I do like all of his costumes though, he has the best set of skins in the game imo, but nothing beats out good old regular Ridley, it's the dream.

How would you guys rank his costumes?

StormC

Smash Hero
he has the best set of skins in the game imo
He absolutely does. Every alt references a specific version of Ridley. Really hard to top that level of attention to detail for Metroid lore.

My rankings...

1. Red
2. Meta
3. Robot
4. Default
5. Green
6. Fusion
7. NES
8. Gold

The Golden one is a nice reference, but it makes Ridley seem all sorta dried out and odd looking. I see myself mostly playing as the top 4 on my list.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
gold one reminds me of goldare from power rangers, I hear by declare the name for it be goldair ridley

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
When it comes to alternate skins, I might go with Default, Meta Ridley, Neo-Ridley and Robot Ridley as my go-to colours for Ridley.

Given that we're now only two weeks away, might as well take the time to clear some more games off my backlog; and I think a fitting game would be Super Metroid on my SNES Classic. It'd be nice to finish one more classic game in the lead-up to Ultimate.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I like the golden skin. Even if it's not exactly like the statue from Super Metroid, at least it actually looks like gold. They could've just made it yellow, but they went through the effort to make it uniquely shiny, and make it look good as well. A lot of gold skins in other games look ugly for one reason or another, but Ridley's looks cool. I'll probably use it, along with his red Super Metroid cover color, his default, but above all, Meta Ridley.

Here's some art from Cryophase:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
gold one reminds me of goldare from power rangers, I hear by declare the name for it be goldair ridley
It’s spelled Goldar, and yes, I was thinking that too in the back of my head. The body is gold while the wings are like dark blue or something, so it perfectly fits, although merely a coincidence. And if you use Samus’ white palette alt/Light Suit skin, you could pretend you’re having the White Ranger vs Goldar in Smash. :p

RidleyDX

Smash Ace
All these New remixes have me like

Seriously our K rool komrades got THREE new one's!!! All those megaman remixes and central highway, Pokemon Sun/Moon, divine bloodlines, and ANOTHER RIDLEY THEME this soundtrack has topped smash 4 soundtrack and we just scratched the surface. Guys the hype is too real.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
It's pretty interesting, tbh I totally forgot that it existed. I do like it though, it's a bit different than the others.

Personally I'd rank them as such:
1. Default
2. Robot
3. Meta
4. Green
5. Red
6. NES
7. Blue
8. Gold

The golden statue costume would have been higher if they went all out and gave him red eyes and a golden wingspan, instead it's like only halfway there. I do like all of his costumes though, he has the best set of skins in the game imo, but nothing beats out good old regular Ridley, it's the dream.

How would you guys rank his costumes?
For me it's
  1. Robot
  2. Gold
  3. Meta
  4. Default
  5. NES
  6. Blue
  7. Green
  8. Red
I love the Meta alt, and I've always loved the Robot coloration, so having them together was a pleasant surprise to say the least. I initially didn't care for his gold skin but it's really grown on me now. I love/like all of his alts but for some reason the red just doesn't click with me nearly as well as the others.

But I totally agree, Ridley's set of alts are easily at the top of the list. They all look good and all of them are references as well. The fact they referenced obscure concept art from Zero Mission really shows how much effort they put in. It's really vindicating, because we've always known that if Sakurai and the team really put the effort in, they could do an incredible job.

Last edited:

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Apparently dark samus' theme is not in the game...my only question is....why? They added the character but forgot the amazing battle theme..

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I know I've never posted in here before. But I cannot wait to play as Ridley and Rool and am beyond hyped for this game. In 2 weeks I can FINALLY fulfill my childhood dream of having K.Rool, Ridley, Bowser, Wolf, and Ganondorf team up. It's gonna be amazing.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
New Ridley remix. Same one from his trailer on the website.

Ah, my heart is racing... X3 I love this new rendition of one of the most iconic themes in history!

Ah holy damn, I just want to get back home and work on more Ridley stuff while listening to all of his themes including this one. I may do also the list of my preferred color skins of his.

Though, there's something about the Gold one not having red eyes or a gold/red wing membrane. Now that I thought about it, that skin also reminded me of Ridley's dried corpse from Fusion. It might be just me.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Ah, my heart is racing... X3 I love this new rendition of one of the most iconic themes in history!

Ah holy damn, I just want to get back home and work on more Ridley stuff while listening to all of his themes including this one. I may do also the list of my preferred color skins of his.

Though, there's something about the Gold one not having red eyes or a gold/red wing membrane. Now that I thought about it, that skin also reminded me of Ridley's dried corpse from Fusion. It might be just me.
If we get a puppet fighter of gold Ridley, that'll have the red eyes.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
That exerpt of Samus's theme around 0:50 is a bit odd in a Ridley song. The whole thing feels like it's telling a story painting Ridley as some harbinger of apocalypse.
This is a great musical storytelling device. We hear Samus's leitmotif briefly, but it is drowned out by (and almost incorporated by) Ridley's own leitmotif. It really is a celebration of Ridley as an unstoppable nightmare - the music box also plays on that idea. Truly great work from the composers on this one.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Goldar Ridley will still be my headcanon for the gold alt, regardless.

Apparently dark samus' theme is not in the game...my only question is....why? They added the character but forgot the amazing battle theme..
Between the lack of Prime 3/trilogy tracks in general (Dark Samus’ theme being the most glaring omission) and Tropical Freeze tracks, Retro Studio games got ****ed hard as far as music, but with the new K. Rool and Ridley remixes we got, it’s more confusing than it is upsetting.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Goldar Ridley will still be my headcanon for the gold alt, regardless.

Between the lack of Prime 3/trilogy tracks in general (Dark Samus’ theme being the most glaring omission) and Tropical Freeze tracks, Retro Studio games got ****ed hard as far as music, but with the new K. Rool and Ridley remixes we got, it’s more confusing than it is upsetting.
Well, they do have trouble incorporating full sound tests in their own games to be fair...

You could also subscribe to tinfoil and take this lack of stuff as evidence they'll add someone from Prime like Sylux to add a new Prime stage and music as DLC. But I'm not one to subscribe to the theory of not having things in the base game at all making them more likely down the line.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Extended version of the theme remix. Was waiting for this channel to have it up earlier...

Also, this fan model that someone at Blizzard apparently made. :eek:

31C36D5E-6729-4663-8608-D11173C51A5D.jpeg

Dhragen

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dhragen
So, with all that datamine leaks, something crossed my mind.......we can get the official names of Ridley's special attacks and FS.......maybe?

StormC

Smash Hero
There hasn’t been a Ridley Mii costume spotted has there? That’d be hilarious if nothing else.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I always wanted a Ridley swordfighter costume that has a long tail that wraps around from the back and into the Mii's hand, the blade tail acting as the sword it uses for all moves.
There's a steampunk cosplay in that somewhere.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
So apparently Ridley’s specials are called Plasma Breath, Space Dragon Rush, Wing Blitz, and Skewer.

Despite what some may nitpick about parts of the moveset (his recovery, yadayada), I approve of the special attack naming.

StormC

Smash Hero
Is Smash the first time Ridley has actually been called a "space dragon?" First the Palutena's Guidance, now this.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
So, I'm curious about something and this could tie into the lack of Prime music: Has there been any report of a Sylux spirit?

CamZilla94

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-2929-3596
Switch FC
SW 2709 2387 5005
So, I'm curious about something and this could tie into the lack of Prime music: Has there been any report of a Sylux spirit?
I thought I saw one if the smash Facebook groups point out he's one of the few without a spirit.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Most of the datamined Smash music videos appear to have been copyright claimed now, and any that still aren't probably will be soon. Despite the inconvenience of not being able to listen to said music as easily for now (Ridley's new remix and such), I'll take it if it means there's less World of Light spoiler videos on youtube at this time since they'll just get copyrighted claimed sooner or later.

What I'm most livid about at the moment is ROM's of Smash Ultimate being given out online for people to illegally download and pirate/play for free. The game won't lose that much money/sales from people over this, but still, gotta draw the line somewhere. Datamining the game and revealing all the music, spirits, etc this soon was already crossing the line for some.

godogod

Smash Ace
Just curious... I know its really preliminary, but have the impressions for ridley changed much since the beginning of his inclusion when people first got to play him? People were calling him broken at first.. but now I'm hearing he might not be viable?

Top Bottom