• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I noticed his absence aswell. Just an idea, but since we know some parts of the Subspace Army are coming back, like Galleom, perhaps Ridley is siding with the bad guys from the start given he originally sided with them. He's not the only one we didn't see of course, so it might just be nothing, but it's a possibility.
Well, we have no proof he was spared from those beams either. That reaction could have been just seconds before being hit himself :p.
Dark Samus was notably absent too... then again what else would she be doing other than gathering Phazon?

Honestly, I am so curious to see Ridley in another cutscene. I already have a lot of headcanons with Rids, I wanna see what other ideas I can get with this like I had with the Subspace Emissary despite the disappointment.
I can see him being completely and utterly disgusted at being helped/rescued by the heroes. Doubly so if it's Samus doing the helping.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
So that Direct was a thing.

I feel really bad for everyone whose dreams were crushed today (I'd say this was comparable to Smash 4's Ridley deconfirmation), ESPECIALLY Isaac fans. But man the Piranha Plant looks fun to play as.

I'd probably be singing a different tune if Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Samus and SImon weren't in Smash, so I'm letting Sakurai slide.

Laniv

Smash Champion
So that Direct was a thing.

I feel really bad for everyone whose dreams were crushed today (I'd say this was comparable to Smash 4's Ridley deconfirmation), ESPECIALLY Isaac fans. But man the Piranha Plant looks fun to play as.

I'd probably be singing a different tune if Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Samus and SImon weren't in Smash, so I'm letting Sakurai slide.
Speaking as someone that would've liked to see Shadow, it was kinda hard to watch.

And I don't know if this has been said already, but we oughta consider ourselves lucky that Ridley was confirmed as early as he was.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I agree, that is why I didn't stayed mad at the silly Plant for long, it just lasted minutes before I was laughing along most people. Ridley's in, and that's all that matters to me.

The Event Mask

Smash Cadet
I understand how others feel, we experienced the same thing in Smash 4 and Brawl where Ridley was disconfirmed in those and instead we got ROB in Brawl and Wii Fit Trainer and Miis in Smash 4 instead of Ridley. I know the disappointment but I'm so glad we got our boy in as well as K Rool. Thank you Sakurai

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There is much blessing to be reminded of today indeed. Other than that, cool that there's spirits of some of the other Ridley variants, and curious as to what other Metroid characters will exist as spirits too besides what was already shown. Had pretty much the same thoughts as well in regards to why Ridley wasn't shown in the opening scene amongst all the others. Am fine if he's still with Tabuu or whatever the main threat is, but just some kind of cutscene footage of him in the story would be still nice, although merely a bonus. Outside of not being playable back then, Brawl's Subpsace handled him alright I guess, and somewhat eager to see how they continue with him in whatever amount of story there is this World of Light mode, not that much (if anything) would make Ridley see the light as to form a truce with Samus. huehue

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
Kencineroar redeemed, I'd like to main him but his up special looks so terrible I'm not sure.

But yeah, you have to feel for everyone who got excited by the Grinch leak, we've all been there, hoping against hope for it to only end in disaster.

The Event Mask

Smash Cadet
I didn't see Ridley in the opening scene either. It would be cool if he was actually not possessed and did his thing without the influence of the main badguy

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I just finished watching the direct and holy **** am I ever so glad that we have Ridley and K. Rool in the roster. Seeing Isaac and Shadow as ATs again was a real disappointment...

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
After what happened with Ridley in both Brawl and Smash 4, having to see fans of characters like Isaac go through the same thing was rough. It's never fun having to wait around just to see your character deconfirmed like that, and I really do feel for the fans who just went through a similar slaughter to their hopes today. It also makes me really appreciate what happened with my most wanted this time around. Ridley was one of the first confirmed and I didn't have to wait long to know about Dark Samus or King K. Rool, so having those three in my pocket half of the way through this cycle was a huge blessing for me.

StormC

Smash Hero
It is genuinely amazing that in a newcomer roster of a half-dozen (one of them being a semi-clone), both Ridley and K. Rool made it.

I just wish more could have joined us.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It is genuinely amazing that in a newcomer roster of a half-dozen (one of them being a semi-clone), both Ridley and K. Rool made it.

I just wish more could have joined us.
I hope people realize how insanely lucky we are. I mean, think of it this way: Out of the six unique fighters chosen for Ultimate, Ridley was one of them.

Don't know about you guys, but it feels fantastic knowing that Ridley was prioritized over the dozens upon dozens of popular characters who could've taken those coveted six spots. And what's more, it seems like Ridley was one of Sakurai's first choices.

It's amazing how quickly our luck turned around after years of petty arguing and "too big" memes.

CrowGoesCaw

Smash Journeyman
Not only was Ridley one of the few chosen to be playable, but he was the E3 highlight reveal, over even the third party characters. Definitely feeling some love.

Last edited:

The Event Mask

Smash Cadet
It shows how big and dedicated the Ridley and King K Rool fanbases are. We got both these characters when characters like Isaac, Shadow, Skull Kid didn't get in. Ridley getting in after Sakurai saying he wouldn't put him in smash after Smash 4 and King K Rool MIA for so long and being irrelevant. I'm so grateful for Sakurai for finally giving us these two after so long.

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Any confirmation on whether the Meta Ridley alt is in the latest build? Curious as to whether he's unlocked through that Meta 'Fighter Spirit' or not.

StormC

Smash Hero
I hope people realize how insanely lucky we are. I mean, think of it this way: Out of the six unique fighters chosen for Ultimate, Ridley was one of them.

Don't know about you guys, but it feels fantastic knowing that Ridley was prioritized over the dozens upon dozens of popular characters who could've taken those coveted six spots. And what's more, it seems like Ridley was one of Sakurai's first choices.

It's amazing how quickly our luck turned around after years of petty arguing and "too big" memes.
Pretty much everyone in the K. Rool thread is saying the same thing, how lucky we are to have made it despite everything. It's a nice reminder to stay humble even after getting what we wanted.

Still, seeing how upset the other fanbases are, feels like this:

Oh well...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Any confirmation on whether the Meta Ridley alt is in the latest build? Curious as to whether he's unlocked through that Meta 'Fighter Spirit' or not.
59C04B05-5815-45B4-94F0-813D1B2D1EE9.jpeg

This work?

StormC

Smash Hero
He has two Meta Ridley skins. One that replaces his white alt and one that replaces his black alt.
So the last two here?

https://www.ssbwiki.com/images/thumb/a/a6/Ridley_Palette_(SSBU).png/800px-Ridley_Palette_(SSBU).png

Makes sense given the white one is a Mecha-Ridley reference and the last one was speculated to be a stand-in anyway given the similar color scheme. Pretty weird that they would bother to make temporary alts for Ridley, but I’m really looking forward to letting Meta-Ridley rip.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I really like that the Ridley Robot skin was made into a Meta Ridley alt, it's so fitting, and the green wings will look stunning.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Welp, that was a direct alright. While it was a tragic event for many, it is reassuring that we were on the clear unlike the past where we were always on edge. Space Pirates and Kutthroats alike.

It feels great to be on the winning side for once but man it is still kind of depressing for the other fanbases.

Hope one day they will meet success like we did.

:EvilBub:.

D

Deleted member

Hey guys just stopping by to say. Ridley looks more and more amazing with each gameplay we see.

Going to be an amazing character.

No doubt.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Shantae-Samus has already trended a good bit thanks to that, though not sure I want to know what they'll have in mind with spirits and Ridley. xD

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Also the Classic Mode mural looks nice so far.

I like how Ridley and Wolf are in close proximity to one another, they would probably be the best team he could be on.

StormC

Smash Hero
Whoa, that mural is dope! Loving Incineroar and K. Rool wrasslin’.

Kopy

Smash Cadet
I can't join Ridley's Discord, is there a new one?

I tried using the link in the first post.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Honestly, I am so curious to see Ridley in another cutscene. I already have a lot of headcanons with Rids, I wanna see what other ideas I can get with this like I had with the Subspace Emissary despite the disappointment.
Am I the only one looking forward to the point where he and Samus, for the first time ever, are forced to work together?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I do like how World of Light is a mix between event matches and other known modes, even if it isn’t a story mode in the same sense as SSE. That said, I wouldn’t mind if Ridley becomes playable in the mode/joins you after you beat him, but is hard to say how it’s all gonna play out at the moment. Just hope there’s at least some satisfying cutscenes beyond the opening one, even though I expect there won’t be nearly as much as SSE. Also won’t mind if the mode’s a simpler way to unlock characters in the game (including Ridley) like with Subspace.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Ehh... I don't even know if you can call it working together. It's more like, "I fight with Team A, you fight with Team B, and nobody gets killed. Deal?"
I imagine it being like that Punisher and Daredevil vs goons scene, where Matt and Frank are fighting off the mob and are trying to escape while Matt is making sure that Frank doesn't kill anyone.

The "teamup" would probably be more of a three-way between Samus, Ridley and the Spirits, with Ridley being as eager to kill Samus as he is the Spirits, and Sammy deciding whether letting Ridley live to aggro/kill some of the Spirits is worth him occasionally targeting her when he runs out of other immediate enemies.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I'm not sure if we may see more cutscenes or at least like the very first one that we saw. Perhaps a couple of 'In-Engine' like with Galleom's return in the mode/moments in Melee's Adventure Mode and the very last moment in Ultimate's Story/Adventure Mode.

It is interesting to think about but I feel like they MIGHT be forced allies. They will fight a common threat just to remain alive and continue their own agendas in the future since if they don't they won't be able to do so at all from now on.

Just my own 0.02$.

:bowser:.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Shantae-Samus has already trended a good bit thanks to that, though not sure I want to know what they'll have in mind with spirits and Ridley. xD
From the Shantae series I see Rottytops being the funny one and Dagron being the most fitting (a boss from Pirate's Curse, look up his fight and area surrounding him and you'll see what I mean).

On the more serious side of things, Juri Han from Street Fighter, Firebrand from Demon's Crest, Vile from Mega Man X or Yian Garuga from Monster Hunter. Boy, Capcom has a lot of Ridley-like characters now that I think about it.

Am I the only one looking forward to the point where he and Samus, for the first time ever, are forced to work together?
I see this as a very rare opportunity for Samus to be the one getting under Ridley's skin instead of the other way around, as part of her "recruitment speech" after the requisite beatdown of course. Maybe in written form, basically taunting him over how she's not going to destroy him now because she has bigger fishes to fry, and he can't either if he knows what's good for him and the Space Pirates. The effect this has on Ridley could only be descibed as a "temper tantrum".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Definitely don't see him joining her willingly maybe of one of those. The enemy of my enemy is my friend things. Can't wait too see how they pair Ridley and Samus up.

Last edited by a moderator:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Do we know if anyone has noted any changes to Ridley in the newest build compared to the E3 demo? Other than the alt color changes that is.

Top Bottom