• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team

Why not a Ridley plushie based on Japanese Metroid I guide Ridley? I'd take 20 ^_^

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

Why not a Ridley plushie based on Japanese Metroid I guide Ridley? I'd take 20 ^_^
6649a2f9937f647fa596a7fbebc91194 copy.jpg

The power of lazy photoshopping. xD

Also, some days ago I found out that someone made an amazing sculpture of the Ridley Robot from Nintendo Land (...In Furaffinity of all places...) :
1378017015.akapendragon_roboridleee.jpg

The artist mentioned he would fix the paint job, but holy heck, it is impressive as it is now. o-O Nintendo should make it official.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Ridley can spike with his Up-B when it's angled downwards.

Between this, the Side-B dunk shenanigans, and of course his Down-B, he has so many tricks up his sleeve that can just raise the roof in casual and tournament settings alike. If nothing else he'll at least have a plethora of great highlight videos out there.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

Between this, the Side-B dunk shenanigans, and of course his Down-B, he has so many tricks up his sleeve that can just raise the roof in casual and tournament settings alike. If nothing else he'll at least have a plethora of great highlight videos out there.
Who can say if that spike will be super useful or viable, but I know we'll be seeing that in many a salt compilation.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Melee Ridley.png

xD I may have no idea of the many things I may do when I get to play as Riddles, but for now, out of the nostalgia I feel for Melee, I decided to recreate the Ridley Trophy's pose in my style to entertain myself. I took the colors directly from the extracted textures of it and made some other visual textures like the the one on the wings based on the ones it also has. (xD I know it is not 100% exact, but it was really good practice)

Last edited:

Ridleyridster

Smash Journeyman

Oh my goodness this looks insane. I can't WAIT to try him out. He looks like one of the most fun characters I've seen!

And I'm not biased at all!

AndreaAC

comic practice2.png

Practice. :> I love doing these comic panel/pages thingies with Rids.
LUNCH.png

"Big Bro, did you got a beef sandwich?"

"No, you idiot! You were choking last time you tried to swallow it, remember?!"

"...Peanut butter and jelly?"

"Yes..."

*Master Hand appears

"If you are going to interrupt my lunch hour to ask me to fight that fat ass turtle for the FIFTH DAMN TIME, I swear I am going to cut off your freakin' Hand balls and feed them to you, SOMEHOW!"

xD I did this prior out of boredom.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
After seeing more and more Ridley gameplay, I'm convinced he might actually have a decent future in competitive play. I mean, if people can do this well with him now, imagine how much scarier he could be when professional players have the time to figure him out.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
After seeing more and more Ridley gameplay, I'm convinced he might actually have a decent future in competitive play. I mean, if people can do this well with him now, imagine how much scarier he could be when professional players have the time to figure him out.
It'll depend a lot on how the game's overall meta develops, we still don't know what's going to be the strongest tools to have in this game, and there are probably a lot of techniques or other details we might not know of yet, not least to mention that the demo isn't the final version and several parameters might be adjusted from then to release.

Still, I'm much more optimistic about how he'll do than I was back during the summer, it's never going to be a huge influence on how much I play him of course, but I do hope to see him pop up occasionally in tournament play, the potential is certainly there. I think that at the very least his base is strong enough that if he turns out to be below average, the buffs he'd need would be simple adjustments and not fundamental changes, so chances are that if he's on the lower end at launch he's likely not going to be stuck down there.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Taking a break from the general discussion thread.

Geez, after seeing all this, I'm even more thankful Ridley was already revealed at E3. Huge weight off my shoulders.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Taking a break from the general discussion thread.

Geez, after seeing all this, I'm even more thankful Ridley was already revealed at E3. Huge weight off my shoulders.
Things are getting a tad too heated over there yeah. I understand why of course, I still remember that feeling from the many times we were right in the middle of it, and I only think it's good that people are so passionate about it, but the aggression is so needless, especially towards those of us who are taking a neutral stance. I really dread to think what will happen if the leak is fake, it has very little bearing on me personally which is why I'm able to stay impartial in all of this, but I do hope the best for the community.

I really don't miss being part of it one bit, that constant up and down rollercoaster feeling as more evidence both for and against a leak which involves your favorite character comes forth is just too much to bear.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
On the flip side, the Grinch leak seems to be received much better than the ESRB leak did back during Smash 4.

Back then, the general consensus was hoping against hope that it was fake, whereas from what I've seen of the new hotness people just think it's too good to be true. There's still some popular picks missing like Waddle Dee and Dixie Kong, but the roster overall is just more satisfying than 4's base was.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
On the flip side, the Grinch leak seems to be received much better than the ESRB leak did back during Smash 4.

Back then, the general consensus was hoping against hope that it was fake, whereas from what I've seen of the new hotness people just think it's too good to be true. There's still some popular picks missing like Waddle Dee and Dixie Kong, but the roster overall is just more satisfying than 4's base was.
plus if it is not true I imagine the kenceniroar leak is all we get

AndreaAC

I mean at least there's no Photoshopped Little Mac. xD Though the meme still gives me giggles.

There's still some popular picks missing like Waddle Dee and Dixie Kong
This is the thing that makes me worried, since plenty of friends want them in, and this supposed leak destroys that. :(

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I mean at least there's no Photoshopped Little Mac. xD Though the meme still gives me giggles.

This is the thing that makes me worried, since plenty of friends want them in, and this supposed leak destroys that. :(
Not denying there are some popular characters still missing. (Where IS Skull Kid anyway?) But the leaked roster is definitely still more palatable than the ESRB's was.

I remember thinking back then that it was fake because they decided to bring back Dr. Mario but not Mewtwo, but I don't really get that feeling with this one. Yes, it sucks that there aren't new Zelda/Kirby characters, but at least the roster doesn't feel incomplete this time.

And worst-case scenario and Isabelle was the last character added, the roster is still pretty darn good.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
At least they haven't been confirmed as assist trophies or stage elements; there's still a chance for them as DLC, especially since DLC Is going to be 100% newcomers.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
If, hypothetically, this banner leak is 100% legit, I feel the two characters that are missing are Bandana Waddle Dee and Dixie Kong.

Hopefully they'll be DLC if this is the final roster for the base game.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
If, hypothetically, this banner leak is 100% legit, I feel the two characters that are missing are Bandana Waddle Dee and Dixie Kong.

Hopefully they'll be DLC if this is the final roster for the base game.
I'm raising an eyebrow at Skull Kid's absence, given we haven't seen his Assist Trophy and the Moon AT excluded him for some reason.
If the leak is true, I wonder if he's getting the Mewtwo treatment and is going to be some kind of bonus character.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Apparently Dixie Kong was cut.

I don't think Bandana Dee was ever realistically a choice.

Skull Kid is really in a weird spot. No appearance whatsoever yet no hint he might actually be in the game. Truly not sure where I stand with him.

That being said, I'm pretty certain the leak is legit.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I’m pretty certain if this banner “leak” didn’t have so many popular hardcore requests on it, there wouldn’t be so much push for its perceived validity. There’s still a lot of details regarding it that I find incredibly suspect, not to mention to completely goes against what Sakurai has been stressing about the roster. He trolls, yes, but he’s not a liar.

But whatever, Ridley’s in the game, and that’s what matters most.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
I’m pretty certain if this banner “leak” didn’t have so many popular hardcore requests on it, there wouldn’t be so much push for its perceived validity. There’s still a lot of details regarding it that I find incredibly suspect, not to mention to completely goes against what Sakurai has been stressing about the roster. He trolls, yes, but he’s not a liar.

though he would not be lieing since not to many is subjective

RidleyDX

Smash Ace

Preach imagine if Ridley was not in yet and the leak appeared showing him, no doubt I would be praying on real, i'am kinda biased right now for Shadow, Geno and Isaac. Real or fake this game already got the best roster so I'm Happy.

Also that Smash Discussion thread is a dumpster-fire on steroids. I thought the esrb leak thread was the worst but then again "Life finds a way" just hope we get a direct soon, so we can end the TeamReal vs TeamFake vs TeamHmm BS

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
This whole Grinch leak has been a sort of a roller coaster ride. Two of my current top 3 in Banjo & Kazooie and Isaac are slated (hopefully) to be confirmed and Shadow too. I have wanted a leak to be true as much as this one. This leak is what the ESRB leak of four years ago could have been though I did get Bowser Jr. (Koopalings) out that. Never thought to see the Grinch be associated with Smash in any capacity.

With that I'm so fortunate that we got K. Rool and Ridley earlier in the speculation period. I couldn't have imagined the chaos if they weren't confirmed at this point.

IronTed

Smash Ace
What surprises me most about the so called Grinch Leak is that there is no new Pokémon in this game. DLC is still on the table, but this would be the first time we didn't get a new Smash with a new Pokémon fighter. It would be kinda funny (and sad) to see all of the debate over Incineroar vs Decidueye vs Mimikyu to end with everyone being wrong.

I personally don't really care, the game could ship with only the characters that are currently confirmed and I'd be ecstatic. Kencineroar, Grinch, it's all just icing on the cake for me. Ridley and Wolf being added will have me satisfied for a long time.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
What surprises me most about the so called Grinch Leak is that there is no new Pokémon in this game. DLC is still on the table, but this would be the first time we didn't get a new Smash with a new Pokémon fighter. It would be kinda funny (and sad) to see all of the debate over Incineroar vs Decidueye vs Mimikyu to end with everyone being wrong.

I personally don't really care, the game could ship with only the characters that are currently confirmed and I'd be ecstatic. Kencineroar, Grinch, it's all just icing on the cake for me. Ridley and Wolf being added will have me satisfied for a long time.
I am sure incenaroar is in, to many insiders are claiming him to be wrong.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Wow, everyone seems to be in meltdown right now over the Grinch leak being assassinated like Caesar by all these "insiders." Personally, I think most of them are opportunists just making things up, since most of them only started speaking up after the Grinch leak and then especially Direct was announced, so they're leveraging that attention and investment to broadcast their own voices.

At least Ridley and Dark Samus are confirmed. But seeing all the Isaac, Geno, Shadow, and Banjo supporters get all hopeless is pretty sad. I still believe those characters will be confirmed now or in the future, but it's weird being on the side that doesn't have anything at stake.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Wow, everyone seems to be in meltdown right now over the Grinch leak being assassinated like Caesar by all these "insiders." Personally, I think most of them are opportunists just making things up, since most of them only started speaking up after the Grinch leak and then especially Direct was announced, so they're leveraging that attention and investment to broadcast their own voices.

At least Ridley and Dark Samus are confirmed. But seeing all the Isaac, Geno, Shadow, and Banjo supporters get all hopeless is pretty sad. I still believe those characters will be confirmed now or in the future, but it's weird being on the side that doesn't have anything at stake.
Except for the fact that these insiders have legitimate jobs in the industry and have precarious reputations to uphold when it comes to bringing out information, even if it's vague stuff like "Just trust me on this". There is no reason for them to put their jobs and reputation on the line like this if they were lying, especially since most of them have either have a working relationship with Nintendo, or hold close ties to someone working with them.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Except for the fact that these insiders have legitimate jobs in the industry and have precarious reputations to uphold when it comes to bringing out information, even if it's vague stuff like "Just trust me on this". There is no reason for them to put their jobs and reputation on the line like this if they were lying, especially since most of them have either have a working relationship with Nintendo, or hold close ties to someone working with them.
I'm not one of those people complaining that they can only say "Just trust me on this." I understand that if they say too much, they'll lose their jobs, or those of their source(s).

My problem is that they keep changing their stories, make vague statements, and all of them are saying something different. For example, Vergeben is saying Isaac is definitely an Assist Trophy, but MysticDistance is saying he's definitely playable. The only scenario where they're both right is if, apparently, young Isaac is an AT and old Isaac is playable, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, either. Almost everyone else is saying vague things like "two of these characters are Assist Trophies," "Some of these characters aren't in the game," etc. Things that anyone could say just to get attention.

Not to mention that it's suspicious how all of the sudden all these different people are coming out of the woodwork now of all times. Where have they been for the past five months? It's only now that the stakes are high and the last Direct is in less than two days that they suddenly have all this information. Where were these people before E3? Before the August Direct? Before the September Direct?

Unless Sakurai is playing some kind of 4D chess and let a bunch of conflicting information spread to different groups in the past few days, I think it's safe to say a good number of these people are making things up, because now is the last chance they'll have to get any attention for Smash Ultimate.

AndreaAC

Sketch Halloween.png

I am gonna post this here before Halloween is over, though I also count it for the Day of the Dead that ends in November 2nd. I got inspired by the cards of El Catrin (the Dandy) and La Sirena (the Siren/Mermaid) from the Mexican Lottery. Just smething quick.

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
With that Direct passed, it's surreal not to see Ridley as one of the deconfirmed characters. I feel awful for all the fanbases that got crushed today.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
With that Direct passed, it's surreal not to see Ridley as not one of the deconfirmed characters. I feel awful for all the fanbases that got crushed today.
It really does put into perspective how lucky we are, there are only 6 unique newcomers in the base game, and Ridley is one of them. I hope no one is taking that for granted.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
With that Direct passed, it's surreal not to see Ridley as one of the deconfirmed characters. I feel awful for all the fanbases that got crushed today.
Today was an absolute bloodbath. I never believed the Grinch leak, because I knew that was way too many characters.

But I didn't expect only two. I figured we'd at least get one final newcomer to balance out Incineroar and end the Direct, just like the previous two, but that never came.

Well, wait, we got Piranha Plant... which is going to be the ire of half the fanbase forever. He looks fun and awesome, but man oh man did they picked the worst possible way and time to announce and release him. Not that there's really a good way to announce such a character in this situation, anyways.

The DLC plan is also a little concerning. On the one hand, it'll all be totally new characters and content, and there's a likelier chance for third-parties due to the licensing deals being easier to work out. Geno, Banjo & Kazooie, and others are probably on the horizon. But on the other hand, it probably means that they have those characters decided in advance, so it's not like feedback now is going to change much, unless they do a second round of DLC characters.

It really does put into perspective how lucky we are, there are only 6 unique newcomers in the base game, and Ridley is one of them. I hope no one is taking that for granted.
I feel like I'm living in some kind of bizarre simulation, man. My two most-wanted characters were Dark Samus and Chibi-Robo, and they're both very unlikely characters.

When Ridley was announced at E3, it was awesome. As a Metroid fan, I've been wanting him just like so many other people. He wasn't my most-wanted, but he was implemented into the game so perfectly that I'm more excited for him than I would have been if he was announced in Smash 4 with his ugly Other M design.

Then there was the evidence that Dark Samus might be playable, and that was weird. But I didn't consider it confirmed, because she isn't nearly as prominent as Ridley, and after Ridley got announced, how could we ever get another Metroid rep when it took us this long to get a legitimate one? Then it not only happened, but Dark Samus has more effort and care put into her animations and model than most other Echo Fighters. And with that, my satisfaction with the game was set in stone, as I got at least one character I really wanted. Chibi-Robo would never happen, but at least I got Dark Samus.

And now today, the first thing they show when they go into Spirits mode was Chibi-Robo. That got me excited, and I was like "All right, I get to play as Dark Samus and have Chibi-Robo be my hype ghost, I am more than cool with that." Twenty minutes later, he's one of the few revealed Mii costumes, and I couldn't believe it. It's certainly not living up to his full potential, but it's better than so most other characters will get. Chibi-Robo is, in a way, playable as well.

Meanwhile, Isaac? KIA. Geno? MIA. Banjo & Kazooie? MIA. Shadow? KIA. Ashley? KIA. Bandana Waddle Dee? MIA. I wouldn't call their situations indefinite, even the "deconfirmed" ones, but it's shocking that not one of them made it in.

I don't know how this happened. I don't know what circumstances let events play out in this way. I feel bad for all the people who are disappointed, but somehow I'm walking away with Dark Samus, Chibi-Robo (kinda), and Ridley. What a time to be alive.

slamallama

Smash Journeyman
have Chibi-Robo be my hype ghost
"Hype Ghost" is my new favorite phrase
Bandana Waddle Dee? MIA.
Waddle Dee always seemed to me like the most unfitting pick of all the popular fan choices, it'd be like including a random Goomba or Space Pirate as a fighter-
*Pirahna Plant confirmed playable*
Welp I guess anything is possible

AndreaAC

nope2.png

Master Hand: "Everyone is going to learn to love him, even YOU! Aww, look! He wants to battle you already!"

Ridley: "WHAT?!"

PP: Nom

Master Hand: "And he seems to be kicking your ass!"

Ridley: "You damned glove son of a...**** YOU!"

xD At first I felt kinda disappointed, but now I see it with a touch of humor.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
This image is probably his reaction to seeing everyone get killed.

Seriously, I don't think I saw him at that battle at all. Guess he really can't stand helping Samus in any way and/or is completely allergic to heroism.
I noticed his absence aswell. Just an idea, but since we know some parts of the Subspace Army are coming back, like Galleom, perhaps Ridley is siding with the bad guys from the start given he originally sided with them. He's not the only one we didn't see of course, so it might just be nothing, but it's a possibility.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

I noticed his absence aswell. Just an idea, but since we know some parts of the Subspace Army are coming back, like Galleom, perhaps Ridley is siding with the bad guys from the start given he originally sided with them. He's not the only one we didn't see of course, so it might just be nothing, but it's a possibility.
Honestly, I am so curious to see Ridley in another cutscene. I already have a lot of headcanons with Rids, I wanna see what other ideas I can get with this like I had with the Subspace Emissary despite the disappointment.

Top Bottom