• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
Oh, ok. And nope, I did not know about the tag. It is alright, you didn't know I was fed up with the whole -ette meme to begin with. So, I apologize in advance.
Errrr. I hope my avatar doesn't upset you.

Also, I feel honored having such a talented artist use a gif I made, in her signature.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
It's alright, I know most people still enjoy the meme so, no worries.
Keen to hear, thanks!
Oh? Really? o.o You mean the one of his victory pose I suppose?
Nope, the epic hat twirl one.
The minute I saw that, I made a nice fleshed out gif of it, which you're using. I recognize it from having the tiny Mario watermark in the bottom right corner. and exactly how it ends! :ultridley: Nice choice of taste!

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Keen to hear, thanks!

Nope, the epic hat twirl one.
The minute I saw that, I made a nice fleshed out gif of it, which you're using. I recognize it from having the tiny Mario watermark in the bottom left corner. and exactly how it ends! :ultridley: Nice choice of taste!
:> No problem!

xD Oh, would you look at that! Awesome! :3 Thanks a whole bunch for making it then! It was the best one I found out there of that Trailer! xD And I mean, how I wouldn't use it? It is to remember while most normal people would hear screams of pure terror at the sight of Rids, I would hear a beautiful chorus of angels instead!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Is it just me, or does it feel like Ridley is still the newcomer people are most excited to play with?

Maybe I'm blinded by bias here, but even after all the footage and the reveal of Simon, K. Rool, and Isabelle, people are still bringing up Ridley whenever they talk about the things they look forward to the most when getting their hands on Ultimate.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Is it just me, or does it feel like Ridley is still the newcomer people are most excited to play with?

Maybe I'm blinded by bias here, but even after all the footage and the reveal of Simon, K. Rool, and Isabelle, people are still bringing up Ridley whenever they talk about the things they look forward to the most when getting their hands on Ultimate.
Of all the newcomers, Ridley is the one who requires the least exposure to his home series to know about, because he's had fairly significant appearances in Smash ever since Melee.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

Might be because, he's literally never been playable in any official capacity EVER before unlike his newcomer compatriots.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

After being such a hot topic for newcomer requests for almost twenty years, I'm really not surprised that's the case. We've talked about him for so long, getting our hopes crushed again and again, and in the game where all hope seemed lost at that point, he finally makes it in! For most people, the taste of victory must still feel alien to them.

It also helps that he's as frequently used in advertisements and promotional material for Ultimate as Inkling, being the two main newcomer highlights to prospective buyers.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
I am honestly seeing more people excited for K. Rool's playstyle or Simon's or for recent aspect, Isabelle. But not with me, sort of.

I am glad for having so many new characters (Echo characters included there), but Ridley still takes the attention for me, Just because Ridley, I am already hype.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I am honestly seeing more people excited for K. Rool's playstyle or Simon's or for recent aspect, Isabelle. But not with me, sort of.

I am glad for having so many new characters (Echo characters included there), but Ridley still takes the attention for me, Just because Ridley, I am already hype.
It is true that Ridley seems pretty straightforward compared to those. The impale is probably the flashiest part about him.

Nevertheless this relatively no-frills fighting style draws an interesting parallel between Ridley's innate cruelty and his professional attitude befitting a dutiful enforcer.

AndreaAC

2.png

:> Found this today thanks to a friend that showed it to me yesterday. xD I probably won't take the shirt out of the box right now, and maybe when I do I will use it for display (that is why I got the biggest size, it's actually too big for me).

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

This is probably the best Ridley footage I've seen yet. Extremely close match with great performances by both players.

Looks like his fireballs can rack up an insane amount of damage.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

This is probably the best Ridley footage I've seen yet. Extremely close match with great performances by both players.

Seeing him against Donkey Kong highlights how he isn't actually as big as a lot of people thought he had to be, and I really love that, it's sort of a vindication for me and the many others who were arguing that Ridley didn't need to be huge to feel like Ridley. Of course he's still a big character, but so many people were saying he had to clearly be the biggest, which I always disagreed with.

Also loving the D-Tilt to aerial combos I've seen many pull off, and which are also on display in this video (which I saw live btw), even seems like at low percentages you can string falling N-Air into D-Tilt and then into F-Tilt. Ridley's deal really is just to rack up lots of damage quickly, I'm excited to see how far the best players can push him, I'll at least try and do my bit.

As far as the moveset talk is concerned, I feel like he and K. Rool are more like Brawl-style newcomers, they don't have any huge gimmicks about them, instead they have movesets that just make sense for them and still bring a lot of unique flavor to the game. I like to think it's because they should have been in Brawl :p.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Seeing him against Donkey Kong highlights how he isn't actually as big as a lot of people thought he had to be, and I really love that, it's sort of a vindication for me and the many others who were arguing that Ridley didn't need to be huge to feel like Ridley. Of course he's still a big character, but so many people were saying he had to clearly be the biggest, which I always disagreed with.

Also loving the D-Tilt to aerial combos I've seen many pull off, and which are also on display in this video (which I saw live btw), even seems like at low percentages you can string falling N-Air into D-Tilt and then into F-Tilt. Ridley's deal really is just to rack up lots of damage quickly, I'm excited to see how far the best players can push him, I'll at least try and do my bit.

As far as the moveset talk is concerned, I feel like he and K. Rool are more like Brawl-style newcomers, they don't have any huge gimmicks about them, instead they have movesets make sense for them and still bring a lot of unique flavor to the game. I like to think it's because they should have been in Brawl :p.
His general frame seems to be about the size of DK and Bowser, but I think what helps make him seem bigger is that he's basically squatting the whole time, so you really feel like he's brought himself low and alert like a predator. If someone still has misgivings about it... they can use the NES color scheme and pretend it's retro Ridley.

As a K. Rool supporter, I was at least happy to just get Diddy during Brawl because of the state the DK franchise was in at the time, getting Diddy alone seemed like a borderline miracle, even if some people were miffed Kirby got Dedede and Meta Knight and DK only got Diddy. But there's really no excuse now for not including Ridley in Brawl, considering that the Metroid franchise was at its peak at the time period. Even as someone who didn't play much Metroid back at the time (by the time Smash 4 speculation started I played Super Metroid so I could be an Actual Ridley Supporter™), I thought Ridley was a no brainer addition and playing as an evil space dragon just seemed very appealing.

I really feel like Bagan's mod does a great job here showing what Ridley would have felt like in Brawl... although I still don't like that Brawley had visible pupils, makes him seem less menacing and more dopey. :p

In a way, I feel like if K. Rool and Ridley were in Brawl, I would have taken them for granted and wouldn't appreciate them nearly as much as I do now.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
His general frame seems to be about the size of DK and Bowser, but I think what helps make him seem bigger is that he's basically squatting the whole time, so you really feel like he's brought himself low and alert like a predator. If someone still has misgivings about it... they can use the NES color scheme and pretend it's retro Ridley.

As a K. Rool supporter, I was at least happy to just get Diddy during Brawl because of the state the DK franchise was in at the time, getting Diddy alone seemed like a borderline miracle, even if some people were miffed Kirby got Dedede and Meta Knight and DK only got Diddy. But there's really no excuse now for not including Ridley in Brawl, considering that the Metroid franchise was at its peak at the time period. Even as someone who didn't play much Metroid back at the time (by the time Smash 4 speculation started I played Super Metroid so I could be an Actual Ridley Supporter™), I thought Ridley was a no brainer addition and playing as an evil space dragon just seemed very appealing.

I really feel like Bagan's mod does a great job here showing what Ridley would have felt like in Brawl... although I still don't like that Brawley had visible pupils, makes him seem less menacing and more dopey. :p

In a way, I feel like if K. Rool and Ridley were in to Brawl, I would have taken them for granted and wouldn't appreciate them nearly as much as I do now.
You know, as much as I appreciate Bagan's mod for going miles beyond the typical character mods in Smash barring PM's Mewtwo and Roy, I can't help but notice just how...unpolished it looks compared to the real deal. I know it's because SSBU Ridley was made by professionals, but wow, the difference between the two is just incredibly stark.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master

Seeing Donkey Kong do a fireman carry on Ridley is incredible. Can't wait to see him do that to King K. Rool.

StormC

Smash Hero
Seeing Donkey Kong do a fireman carry on Ridley is incredible. Can't wait to see him do that to King K. Rool.
I'm looking forward to a lot of the special grab animations in this game, like Ridley's side special and K. Rool's up throw on the whole cast.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I'm looking forward to a lot of the special grab animations in this game, like Ridley's side special and K. Rool's up throw on the whole cast.
Isabelle boutta be carried on a great apes shoulders and yeeted, suplexed, and have her face ground into the concrete like soft cheddar on a cheese grater.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Some things to consider:
  • Ridley being dragged off the stage in Kapp'n's bus.
  • Ridley wearing the metal cap (officially).
  • Ridley wearing a Bunny Hood and Super Leaf (officially).
  • Ridley using items.
    • He can use the Samus' Screw Attack against her.
    • He can use the hammer, and it looks hilarious:
    • Ridley holding Death's Scythe (I want to see this).
    • Ridley using a Cucco.
  • He can interact with other characters without being restricted to appear only in a certain mode or certain stage.
  • He can "invade" other series via their stages.
  • Funny animations that we would not otherwise see in the Metroid series (such as the screen K.O.).
  • First time being a playable character, which could open up to other potential things in the future.
  • Ridley Ditto.
  • Ridley amiibo - plenty of potential for future titles.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
DK just super-armored through Ridley's back-air at 1:13. I thought that was supposed to be a kill move? But also at 2:17, Ridley lands it on DK at the edge of the stage when DK's at 109% and it doesn't kill, so I guess not. That's a shame, since it looked like it'd be a really useful move in his toolset.

Also that grab KO at 3:15 was absolutely disgusting. I wish more characters had mobile grabs so we could see stuff like that more often.

Some things to consider:
  • Ridley using items.
    • Ridley using a Cucco.
  • He can interact with other characters without being restricted to appear only in a certain mode or certain stage.
  • Funny animations that we would not otherwise see in the Metroid series (such as the screen K.O.).
  • First time being a playable character, which could open up to other potential things in the future.
  • Ridley Ditto.
Some of the character choices for this game are top-notch goofy material for this kind of stuff. In addition to Ridley, we have Dark Samus, King K. Rool, and Isabelle, all of whom have unique personalities and qualities that are going to provide some laughs in certain situations.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I have been and will continue to be vocal about my desire for an Amiibo scanned Ridley Villager in Animal Crossing 2019.
"Hmm? ...Oh! Why hello there, Mayor! I was just on my way to slaughter some innocent bystanders visit Town Hall. Care to join me?"

- Sure! Why not?
- Do I have to report you again!?

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
"Hmm? ...Oh! Why hello there, Mayor! I was just on my way to slaughter some innocent bystanders visit Town Hall. Care to join me?"

- Sure! Why not?
- Do I have to report you again!?
I mean, if Ganon, the embodiment and King of Evil can peacefully frolic around your quaint little village in New Leaf, I don't see why anybody else can't either. The suspension of disbelief barrier doesn't get much lower imo. Besides, I am absolutely of the belief Nintendo is throwing away money if they don't have Animal Crossing x Smash Amiibo support in the form of most, if not all, Smash characters that are non human and animalistic being available as villagers via Amiibo scan.

Though admittedly part of my joy would be seeing Ridley canonically or otherwise acting in a manner that's so far removed from his canon personality, even if we were fair and entertained that he'd have a "grumpy" personality (Understating his personality just a little.). Still AC19 would be a day one buy for me if I knew K. Rool and Ridley could eventually be villagers in my town. (I'd add Mewtwo as well but I know Game Freak is very selective with where Pokémon appear in non Pokémon games. Still, if you could put Pokémon into your village, I'd need the game right this instant.)

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Some things to consider:
  • Ridley using items.
    • Ridley using a Cucco.
  • Ridley Ditto.
Pretty Ridley doing ANYTHING in Smash. There. I sum it up for all of you~

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
It's lookin' like we're gonna get our next Direct within the next week. Apparently a YouTube playlist was updated, and the Smash Bros. website no longer has the "new" tag on the "Fighters" button. People are taking that as evidence, but I predicted an October Direct for a while now, since it'd be two months since the last one, which was two months after E3. Nice and tidy.

Having it in October would also make it easier to get information out before leaks can happen, as well as give a couple months for all that information to breathe and be used in advertising before the game launches. Waiting until November doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a development standpoint.

So, we're probably gonna get 2-4 more characters, as well as an explanation on "Spirits" mode. Given that it's the one thing we seemingly have no info on outside of online functions, it's probably going to be something big. I'm not expecting it to be Subspace Emissary big, but definitely bigger than Smash Run. A new iteration of Adventure Mode from Melee, with all the new characters and environments, is all I need.

Since we can gather that Spirits is going to have boss battles (judging from Dracula and Rathalos), who else can we expect? Also, any bets on what new characters there will be? My bets are on Ken and Shadow as Echo Fighters, and Geno and either Isaac or a Pokémon rep (Incineroar). Skull Kid, maybe.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
It's lookin' like we're gonna get our next Direct within the next week. Apparently a YouTube playlist was updated, and the Smash Bros. website no longer has the "new" tag on the "Fighters" button. People are taking that as evidence, but I predicted an October Direct for a while now, since it'd be two months since the last one, which was two months after E3. Nice and tidy.

Having it in October would also make it easier to get information out before leaks can happen, as well as give a couple months for all that information to breathe and be used in advertising before the game launches. Waiting until November doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a development standpoint.

So, we're probably gonna get 2-4 more characters, as well as an explanation on "Spirits" mode. Given that it's the one thing we seemingly have no info on outside of online functions, it's probably going to be something big. I'm not expecting it to be Subspace Emissary big, but definitely bigger than Smash Run. A new iteration of Adventure Mode from Melee, with all the new characters and environments, is all I need.

Since we can gather that Spirits is going to have boss battles (judging from Dracula and Rathalos), who else can we expect? Also, any bets on what new characters there will be? My bets are on Ken and Shadow as Echo Fighters, and Geno and either Isaac or a Pokémon rep (Incineroar). Skull Kid, maybe.
There's still so much to cover, beyond Spirits and the final roster reveal (which I expect to happen if it's a full Direct) there's also Online, Stadium, Events, All-Star, and smaller things like Challenges, Trophies and so on. Of course not all of those things are guaranteed to return, but then I also haven't accounted for potential new smaller modes in the vein of Trophy Rush, and there could also still be more unrevealed stages aswell. I'd be surprised if all that can be covered in less than half an hour, newcomer showcases, Online and Spirits could all take up 20 minutes by themselves.

It could still just be a smaller presentation with one character, but like you said I think a proper Smash Direct is pretty likely. If there's anything to the box theory at all then it pretty much has to at least be our final newcomers, I don't believe Ken would take up a whole month by himself, so even in the scenario it's just a single reveal we'll at least be able to come to a conclusion as far as that theory is concerned.

As far as newcomer predictions would go, the remaining ones I am predicting are Ken, Shadow, Incineroar and Geno, so if it's a Direct I'd expect all of them to be confirmed, unless Geno is some kind of Mewtwo DLC deal, then that'd probably wait until late November. Either way I've got what I wanted, so I don't actually care that much about who's still left.

Bosses are incredibly hard to predict, but I'd obviously like to see a Metroid boss, like a Metroid Queen, Crocomire or Phantoon. I also really want a Mother boss, give me Master Belch, Natural Killer Cyborg, or even something crazy like the Barrier Trio.

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
have a bad feeling it is gonna be incenaroar, shadow, and ken to finish up the roster. Which it will make the 2 month wait drag with no more reveals to look forward to.

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
I've never been able to get myself on the Geno prediction bandwagon. I never agreed with the relevance argument for K. Rool, primarily because I thought he had an astronomically better chance of a appearing in another DK game than Geno had of appearing in a Mario game. Not that he can't, but I wouldn't put my money on him. Maybe if none of the Mii Costume characters had been disconfirmed yet, I'd agree with the general consensus that Geno's on the way.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm keeping my expectations in check (plenty of experience with that thanks to years of wanting Ridley), but I'm hoping for another "Robin" to swoop in and catch us off-guard. It's tedious when everyone acts like the final newcomers are locked and set in stone.

Regardless of what happens, I'm content with what we have. Might've been better to save K. Rool for later instead of revealing him in August, but it's not Sakurai's fault we're all expecting one last newcomer who's as hype as Ridley.

I've never been able to get myself on the Geno prediction bandwagon. I never agreed with the relevance argument for K. Rool, primarily because I thought he had an astronomically better chance of a appearing in another DK game than Geno had of appearing in a Mario game. Not that he can't, but I wouldn't put my money on him. Maybe if none of the Mii Costume characters had been disconfirmed yet, I'd agree with the general consensus that Geno's on the way.
Geno was doing fine until Isabelle, but I think people are finally realizing that the list of newcomers won't strictly follow the results of the ballot. We're down to the wire with newcomers, and although Geno could still get in Smash, there aren't many opportunities left for him to get announced. Rating him with anything higher than a 50% chance is generous.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Living.png

Rids: "HAH! Death's Scythe! I haven't seen this thing in AGES! Those were the days!"

Roids: "Days of what, Big Bro?"

Rids: "Ah, Silly One...how could I have forgotten to tell you...You see, back then, I lived surrounded in riches and wine...but I also applied for a job that I can certainly say it was...

...to DIE for."

Roids: "..........."

It is that time of the year...
Done for.png

:> I enjoy to work the most regarding my Catrin/Grim Reaper Ridley around this time. xD Poor Roidley, he never knew such detail about his Big Bro, as if he wasn't scary enough at times. At the beginning of his work after making a deal with it, he borrowed Death's Scythe (much to Death's dismay) and he was kind enough to return it and make his own version in the form of a cane with a sharp eagle/raven beak to fit with his elegance.

o-o Just a quick disclaimer: Please DON'T use, share or do anything with any of my work/concepts/ideas. I don't want to have to stop posting because of feeling insecure again about it being taken...

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
View attachment 167933
Rids: "HAH! Death's Scythe! I haven't seen this thing in AGES! Those were the days!"

Roids: "Days of what, Big Bro?"

Rids: "Ah, Silly One...how could I have forgotten to tell you...You see, back then, I lived surrounded in riches and wine...but I also applied for a job that I can certainly say it was...

...to DIE for."

Roids: "..........."

It is that time of the year...
View attachment 167934
:> I enjoy to work the most regarding my Catrin/Grim Reaper Ridley around this time. xD Poor Roidley, he never kew such detail about his Big Bro, as if he wasn't scary enough at times. At the beginning of his work after making a deal with it, he borrowed Death's Scythe (much to Death's dismay) and he was kind enough to return it and make his own version in the form of a cane with a sharp eagle/raven beak to fit with his elegancy.
Oh man, I can’t wait to see Riddles with the scythe.

Photo contest at release: get a nice shot of Ridley with the scythe on Boxing Ring with his title clearly displayed in the background.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I’m just glad that we finally have our Space Pirate leader at this point in time, regardless of what the base roster is shaping up to be. Most of the other character threads are in panic mode at this point in time (for understandable reasons), but us Ridley fans can rest easy knowing that we’re one of the lucky few whose most wanted newcomer made the jump to newcomer status.

For the first time since Melee, I can finally jump into a new Smash game without a twinge of disappointment over the final roster.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I don't think it's going to be a Smash Direct that gets announced next. I expect that to be in November. This might be a Robin-style uploaded trailer.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I’m just glad that we finally have our Space Pirate leader at this point in time, regardless of what the base roster is shaping up to be. Most of the other character threads are in panic mode at this point in time (for understandable reasons), but us Ridley fans can rest easy knowing that we’re one of the lucky few whose most wanted newcomer made the jump to newcomer status.

For the first time since Melee, I can finally jump into a new Smash game without a twinge of disappointment over the final roster.
When seeing how extremely anxious people are getting atm it really hit me how big a relief it is to never have to be in that situation again. The panic when we were closing in on the game's release and Ridley still hadn't been confirmed was easily the worst part of speculation, people would really lose their heads, myself included, so it's nice to be on the other side of that for once. It's a bit of a pain to deal with the people who are on the edge atm, but I'm just happy it's not us anymore.

With how it's looking like we're getting fewer newcomers than we initially expected it feels like a really special privilege for the few who did make it, I'm extremely grateful that I've somehow gotten three of my most wanted (Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Samus). I'm okay with being maybe a bit too optimistic for what's left now, because I'm already over the moon with what we have, disappointment isn't an option anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom