• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
https://youtu.be/CT-DmdaLH_Q

Guys...we have news incoming next week?
This is the direct translation I got from google.
【Broadcast Schedule】
July 16 (Monday · Holiday) 11: 00 ~ 15: 00 (planned)

"Jump Victory Carnival 2018" will be held at Makuhari Messe in Chiba Prefecture on 7/16 (Monday, congratulation) and at INTEX Osaka in Osaka Prefecture on 7/22 (Sunday).

At the Nintendo booth, we will hold a "winning challenge" that will challenge three consecutive victories between visitors and customers at "Super Brawl Smash Bros. SPECIAL" and "Mario Tennis Ace".

On this page we will live stream of July 16th.

※ The program schedule may change due to local event progress.
※ Broadcasting may be interrupted or canceled without prior notice due to troubles etc. on the system.
Please note.

【Jump Victory Carnival 2018 Official Site】
https://www.shonenjump.com/jvc/

【Super Smash Bros. Smash Brothers SPECIAL Official Site】
https://www.smashbros.com/en_US /

【Mario Tennis Ace official website】
https: //www.nintendo.co.jp/switch/ale ...

【Nintendo Switch Official Site】
https: //www.nintendo.co.jp/hardware/s ...

So it seems to me like it's a mini-tournament of sorts, we may get a bonus announcement for a new Smash character. Possibly Simon Belmont, if Vergeben is to be believed?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Unless Nintendo promises new content to be revealed or goes out of their way to promote this tournament in other parts of the world, I don't see why we should get our hopes up. I know Nintendo can be spontaneous and unpredictable, but revealing a newcomer in a small Japanese tournament instead of in a Nintendo Direct or scheduled reveal video seems like a terrible marketing idea.

Either way, it hardly pertains to Ridley. If we're gonna talk about this tournament thing, then let's talk about which matchups we'd like to see from Ridley players.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
Unless Nintendo promises new content to be revealed or goes out of their way to promote this tournament in other parts of the world, I don't see why we should get our hopes up. I know Nintendo can be spontaneous and unpredictable, but revealing a newcomer in a small Japanese tournament instead of in a Nintendo Direct or scheduled reveal video seems like a terrible marketing idea.

Either way, it hardly pertains to Ridley. If we're gonna talk about this tournament thing, then let's talk about which matchups we'd like to see from Ridley players.
You make a good point, but we can't forget that they revealed Pac-Man for Smash 4 behind closed doors initially and Shulk was revealed in a Japan-only stream as well if I recall correctly.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You make a good point, but we can't forget that they revealed Pac-Man for Smash 4 behind closed doors initially and Shulk was revealed in a Japan-only stream as well if I recall correctly.
Pac-Man was revealed behind closed doors at E3, the time of the year when all of the press would be interested in seeing what Nintendo had to offer. Shulk was revealed in a Japan-exclusive Nintendo Direct, not a small little stream.

In both cases, these were scheduled events prepared specifically for revealing new content to the public. A small tournament is not the ideal time to reveal one of the presumably limited newcomers for Ultimate.

So I turned Ridley into a Mobile Suit on Gundam Breaker 3.View attachment 152261
Who says Samus is the only one who can wear a power suit? :laugh:

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'd like to see some more Sheik matchups, we only have like two videos of what seems like a character who could be a pretty strong counter against Ridley, she's always been great against big bodies and her needles being able to hit Ridley's weakspot while he's charging the fireballs seems like it'll be a pain to deal with. I'd like some more examples before jumping to conclusions though.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

I've scoured through YouTube looking for as much 1v1 Ridley videos as I could, and the only ones I haven't seen so far are:

Ridley vs. Bowser
Ridley vs. Corrin
Ridley vs. Sonic
Ridley vs. Mewtwo
Ridley vs. Cloud
Ridley vs. Little Mac

I'm not sure if we'll see any of these matchups occur at the demo or if Ridley will even be tried out much (IIRC he was barely used in the last Japanese tourney), but if Ridley is played I'd love to see how he would fare against characters like Sonic or Corrin, particularly the former, for I think his high speed could potentially cause problems for Ridley in matchups.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I've scoured through YouTube looking for as much 1v1 Ridley videos as I could, and the only ones I haven't seen so far are:

Ridley vs. Bowser
Ridley vs. Corrin
Ridley vs. Sonic
Ridley vs. Mewtwo
Ridley vs. Cloud
Ridley vs. Little Mac

I'm not sure if we'll see any of these matchups occur at the demo or if Ridley will even be tried out much (IIRC he was barely used in the last Japanese tourney), but if Ridley is played I'd love to see how he would fare against characters like Sonic or Corrin, particularly the former, for I think his high speed could potentially cause problems for Ridley in matchups.
OOF. Right in the fanbase...

To be honest I don't see Corrin being much of a problem, he is slow enough to zone with Ridley's fireballs and we have comparable range on most moves. Pin is something to consider in close quarters, but the kicks have been severely nerfed in distance.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Ridley vs. Bowser
Ridley vs. Corrin
Ridley vs. Sonic
Ridley vs. Mewtwo
Ridley vs. Cloud
Ridley vs. Little Mac

If Ridley can find a way to drag Little Mac off the stage, I think he'd be easy to beat. If not, then Little Mac's poor air game and Ridley's range should still give him the advantage. Although, I'd say Little Mac's speed and Ridley's massive size could make a few matches difficult.

Bowser is a matchup I'd really like to see. Feels like Ridley would have the upper hand since Bowser is extremely heavy, slow, and has mostly attacks with poor range. Worst-case scenario, it's an even matchup, but I really think Ridley wins this one.

I don't have high hopes for Ridley with Sonic and Cloud. Both are way too small and fast for me to think Ridley wouldn't be easy combo food for these guys.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I really wouldn't worry much at all about matchups right now, especially considering nobody knows how to use Ridley properly anyway and only a handful of people have actually played with him in tournament-setting conditions, so to speak.

I think we might be surprised how well Ridley does in some match-ups people are already writing off.

ALSO besides all this, but I really wish they made Ridley's down-air his tail pogo from the games rather than a mostly generic stall-then-fall move that many others already have. Seems like a missed opportunity for an obvious cue to pretty much his most iconic attack besides the claw drag.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I really wouldn't worry much at all about matchups right now, especially considering nobody knows how to use Ridley properly anyway and only a handful of people have actually played with him in tournament-setting conditions, so to speak.

I think we might be surprised how well Ridley does in some match-ups people are already writing off.

ALSO besides all this, but I really wish they made Ridley's down-air his tail pogo from the games rather than a mostly generic stall-then-fall move that many others already have. Seems like a missed opportunity for an obvious cue to pretty much his most iconic attack besides the claw drag.
He does use that stomp in Prime and Other M. As for the flaming shockwave that usually results...

The tail pogo would honestly look really dumb in 3D, especially with how scrawny the tail is compared to the body. You'd have to give him some pseudo-flight mechanic for it to make sense.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
My assumption is they went with the stomp because he had it in all his recent fights (Prime 1/3, Smash/Other M, Samus Returns) and was overall easier to animate.

That and the tail stabs are already represented in various other moves (as much as I loved them in their original games, I did kinda figure from the Smash 4 stage boss that they'd show tail piercing in a different manner, especially after his "stab through the stage" attack, which I honestly pictured being a get-up attack).

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
He does use that stomp in Prime and Other M. As for the flaming shockwave that usually results...

The tail pogo would honestly look really dumb in 3D, especially with how scrawny the tail is compared to the body. You'd have to give him some pseudo-flight mechanic for it to make sense.
Yeah. Down-smash is super disjointed so it technically has that shockwave, we just don't see it lol.

I figure they would just have him strike downwards with his tail, not have an actual pogo effect.

My assumption is they went with the stomp because he had it in all his recent fights (Prime 1/3, Smash/Other M, Samus Returns) and was overall easier to animate.

That and the tail stabs are already represented in various other moves (as much as I loved them in their original games, I did kinda figure from the Smash 4 stage boss that they'd show tail piercing in a different manner, especially after his "stab through the stage" attack, which I honestly pictured being a get-up attack).
Yeah that's true on those accounts.

That kind of get-up attack would be BROKEN but I'd be super down for that lol especially considering big characters tend to have awful get-ups in general.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
Now that it's been brought up, what IS Ridley's get-up attatck? And his ledge climb attack for that matter? I partially hope that it's similar to the "stab through the stage attack" in Smash 4 and the Ridley mod.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

But he had a downward tail stab in Other M and Samus Returns.
The stomp is already present as well.

I think the real problem is the range. Ultimate Ridley's tail is very long and it would have been hard to do much about him DAiring with that kind of range. It's more of a problem when it's all vertical rather than horizontal.
That kind of get-up attack would be BROKEN but I'd be super down for that lol especially considering big characters tend to have awful get-ups in general.
It would actually be pretty bad. It wouldn't have enough range to work properly and he'd be left open to a meteor or even a spike for longer than necessary.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
It would actually be pretty bad. It wouldn't have enough range to work properly and he'd be left open to a meteor or even a spike for longer than necessary.
I mean we don't know how the range would be, and if you're using it without invincibility then that's the trade off. I'd take a safe getup attack if it means it's easily meteored if it's done out of invuln frames.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I mean we don't know how the range would be, and if you're using it without invincibility then that's the trade off. I'd take a safe getup attack if it means it's easily meteored if it's done out of invuln frames.
Assuming it's the same as in Sm4sh, it would have poor horizontal range. Ridley's tail isn't thick enough to cover much space at once.
Безымянный.png

Poor image quality aside, this should make it clear. The only way to somewhat fix it is by making him drag his tail closer/away from him.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Assuming it's the same as in Sm4sh, it would have poor horizontal range. Ridley's tail isn't thick enough to cover much space at once.
View attachment 152410
Poor image quality aside, this should make it clear. The only way to somewhat fix it is by making him drag his tail closer/away from him.
Hmm. I think it's a moot point anyway since Ridley can fish through the edge with his up-air currently so it's probably not really needed. It would be cool though, that's for sure.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Now that it's been brought up, what IS Ridley's get-up attatck? And his ledge climb attack for that matter? I partially hope that it's similar to the "stab through the stage attack" in Smash 4 and the Ridley mod.
His getup attack is a swipe to each side if I'm not mistaken.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Dabuz made a good video about Ridley, it's a good watch:

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
I'm really hoping we get a downloadable demo for Ultimate in the coming weeks. I wouldn't care if it only has the same roster and content as the E3 or CEO builds, I just want to try it out!

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
There was an interview with Sakurai recently, and he talks about Inkling and Ridley as newcomers. Here's what he has to say:

Can you tell us any specific details about the new fighters? Any tips for making the best use of their different playstyles?

I think both Inkling and Ridley, each for their own unique reasons, are very different in a 1-on-1 match and in a 4-player match. A unique feature of the Inkling is the ability to increase the damage dealt by inking their opponent. This means that in a 4-player match, there are those who had been inked, and those who haven’t, so you’ll need to think about who to target, and how long this effect will last. But in a 1-on-1 match, the opponent is obviously inked, so you don’t really have to think about those things.

Ridley has a down special that deals massive damage in one hit, provide you hit them with the sweet spot, but this is actually pretty hard to hit in a 1-on-1 match. But in a 4-player match, it sometimes just works. Ridley is shaping up to be a character where the action you take based on the situation around you becomes an important factor. I think it’s fine to decide what a character’s forte is, or what kind of strategy to use with them based on your fighting style or likes and dislikes. But I feel that to have characters that are completely different not only by themselves, but also depending on the number of opponents they are facing, is deep.
This sums up something I've noticed for a while, and that's that it seems like not every fighter is balanced for 1v1. Dedede is my secondary character, and boy is he unfit for 1v1 matches. But, most games I play are 1v1v1 with my brothers, so he's much more effective, as I can take advantage of other people's distractions and land slow but powerful moves that would normally be impossible to land on a skilled player in 1v1. Ganondorf is also a character I play occasionally, and his up-tilt, the most telegraphed move in the world, is surprisingly easy to hit when fighting more than one player.

Though I think that Ridley is still going to be good for 1v1 matches as well. It's just that Sakurai is saying that some characters and moves are easier to play in larger battles than in 1v1's, because certain moves are easier to land when the other players are distracted. The example used here is Ridley's down special, which is far more usable in 1v1 than Dedede's down special or Ganondorf's up-tilt.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
The interview also had Sakurai joke about how you wouldn't really take Ridley for an intelligent leader based on just his looks. I saw a few people on a certain other board be legit pissed about that statement for whatever reason, even though it's completely true.

Also, I've been wondering does Ridley's Up Special have just four fixed angles? I've seen players go completely sideways with it in situations where you'd obviously want to go diagonally upwards to recover.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Also, I've been wondering does Ridley's Up Special have just four fixed angles? I've seen players go completely sideways with it in situations where you'd obviously want to go diagonally upwards to recover.
I don't believe so. Ridley uses his up special and goes at an angle in his reveal trailer.

(1:13 if the timestamp doesn't work)

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
The interview also had Sakurai joke about how you wouldn't really take Ridley for an intelligent leader based on just his looks. I saw a few people on a certain other board be legit pissed about that statement for whatever reason, even though it's completely true.

sakurai get's to much hate for all he does.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
We got a release date for the Ridley amiibo! It's coming out the same day Ultimate releases, on December 7!

D

Deleted member

The sad part of Ridley being in Smash tho?

He doesn't have his own poster art, like :ultinkling: and all the Smash 4 newcomers.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

There's some decent stuff in this video, the guy playing Ridley seems like he has a pretty decent idea of how he should be played, at least more so than many others we've seen playing the demo. We get a look at fast falling N-Airs, how uncomfortable it is being above Ridley, and overall decent spacing with F-Air and B-Air. He could be a bit more aggressive with edgeguards, and there were several situations where he could have used Side-B effectively, but it's still a decent look at some of Ridley's tools.

Last edited:

Chrollo.

fka president wario
The sad part of Ridley being in Smash tho?

He doesn't have his own poster art, like :ultinkling: and all the Smash 4 newcomers.
I think Inkling’s poster art was made by the Splatoon team as iirc it’s nowhere to be seen on the Smash Ultimate site. So it’s not exactly official.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
Decent match... did feel like more fireball could've been good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom