• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
Directs are always pre-recorded
remember some of the live streams they had? the one translator who stopped translating? that was funny as helll so the pre recordet directs are very professional and easy to make. also some of these ppl who usually are not in the public speaking to many at once can look clean and professional, avoiding humilliation and well they dont feel bad or awkward if they mess up

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I mean, I don't even think Vergy's leak is worth anything. He wasn't even the original "Ridley's in Smash Switch!" guy. The ResetEra leaks are where *that* came from, and there's enough secondary evidence including what Emily Rogers has said (given her recent credibility from the Pokemon conference thing, I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt) about the roster.

Regardless, we're like 6 days away, we'll know soon enough.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
remember some of the live streams they had? the one translator who stopped translating? that was funny as helll so the pre recordet directs are very professional and easy to make. also some of these ppl who usually are not in the public speaking to many at once can look clean and professional, avoiding humilliation and well they dont feel bad or awkward if they mess up
You mean from the Switch event with Suda 51? If so that poor translator got a bad rep but Suda was supposed to follow a script and then went completely ad lib throwing him off and making it so he had to do a translation on the fly which is not an easy task.

TheDukeofDorks

Smash Apprentice
this could be when too bigots finally get defeated
Can we PLEASE stop using this phrase? It gives the fanbase an incredibly bad name to label everyone who disagrees with Ridley's inclusion as "bigots". Which, ironically, strengthens the resolve of the people who want Ridley excluded in the first place

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I think E3 is a magnet for cringe and awkward moments. Probably why Nintendo just does a quick, sterile showing of what they’ve got and get the hell out of there before anyone can drop “girl wood” or “I’m a YouTube content creator”.

Last edited:

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
I think E3 is a magnet for cringe and awkward moments. Probably why Nintendo just does a quick, sterile showing of what they’ve got and get the hell out of there before anyone can drop “girl wood” or “I’m a YouTube content creator”.
yeah the smartest move anyways i mean most ppl watch the thingat home anyways, so they dont rly miss out on hype to generate. i heard ppl like jim sterlin ( think of him as you will) say with right that nintendo is in this one thing quite visionary

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Nintendo just doing presentations now cuts out all the cringey celebrity cameos or worse, advertisements that stink up other conferences. Like the “YOU CAN TEST DRIVE THIS REAL CAR!” from Microsoft? last year. Ugh.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Lightened the saturation and added lighter claws to my playable Ridley with a Samus for scale.
nemesi.png

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Oh geez, you're not kidding. Most of the time I prefer to wait it out and then just get a blow-by-blow list of what was revealed so I can watch the trailers I want.

Was that last year or two years ago with that one dude cosplaying as Jacob Frye, and then the emcee came up and put him on the spot to make up a meme on the fly? You could hear the crickets there.

Still, nothing will ever top "You can fight battles that actually took place in feudal Japan *less than two seconds later* Now here's this giant enemy crab"

Last edited:

GreatRagnarok

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Neodragon22
3DS FC
3007-8564-4279
Well, in less than a week, we'll have our questions answered and either we'll emerged victorious or we'll suffer a heavy loss to where our chances of seeing Ridley playable go back down to near 0%. And while the Vergeben leak seemed to have gain more credibility with the Konami Schedule, it's too early to get excited over it. Anything can change in this battlefield and we should be prepared for that. No matter what happens, we need to be strong regardless of the outcome.

If Ridley is fully playable, then all the suffering the Ridley fans went through since Melee/Brawl/Smash 4 will finally be over and we'll have our leader represented the right way.

If he's playable, but as a boss character, then we'll probably have mixed reception over this. Some would be okay with having Ridley playable and not at all, others want him to be fully playable with no gimmicks. It's really how you want to interpret it.

And if he's not shown to be playable at Nintendo's E3 at all or deconfirmed, then we should expect a repeat of what happened last time he was deconfirmed at Smash 4 (In which people came into the thread and laugh at us for even thinking he had a chance after being deconfirmed with the Shadow/Sakurai's post/ect, which got the thread closed due to the amount of people coming in and posting nothing but negative things.)

Anyways i'll have a speech prepared for us in the case he does become playable. And if not, well i'll just post something generic really, maybe something to bolster out spirits if possible.

Stay strong, it won't be too long now before the announcement.

(Also we should PM some people here a discord link so we can discuss the news altogether on the 12th. I think it'll be fun.)

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
Well, in less than a week, we'll have our questions answered and either we'll emerged victorious or we'll suffer a heavy loss to where our chances of seeing Ridley playable go back down to near 0%. And while the Vergeben leak seemed to have gain more credibility with the Konami Schedule, it's too early to get excited over it. Anything can change in this battlefield and we should be prepared for that. No matter what happens, we need to be strong regardless of the outcome.

If Ridley is fully playable, then all the suffering the Ridley fans went through since Melee/Brawl/Smash 4 will finally be over and we'll have our leader represented the right way.

If he's playable, but as a boss character, then we'll probably have mixed reception over this. Some would be okay with having Ridley playable and not at all, others want him to be fully playable with no gimmicks. It's really how you want to interpret it.

And if he's not shown to be playable at Nintendo's E3 at all or deconfirmed, then we should expect a repeat of what happened last time he was deconfirmed at Smash 4 (In which people came into the thread and laugh at us for even thinking he had a chance after being deconfirmed with the Shadow/Sakurai's post/ect, which got the thread closed due to the amount of people coming in and posting nothing but negative things.)

Anyways i'll have a speech prepared for us in the case he does become playable. And if not, well i'll just post something generic really, maybe something to bolster out spirits if possible.

Stay strong, it won't be too long now before the announcement.

(Also we should PM some people here a discord link so we can discuss the news altogether on the 12th. I think it'll be fun.)
misread this one

Last edited:

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
NNID
7066-9708-9591
come on I can see the light, hopefully it's ridleys reveal and not another upcoming train

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
As someone that has seen "leaks" for years, most of them end up being fake. The best route to is to set your expectations low.

This sure does bring back memories...
Well, I'm still on the train even if I no longer actively participate in anything as I used to. I wouldn't put my money on the leaks just to be safe. That whole thing with the shadow on Pyrosphere (which, admittedly, had some weird stuff that wasn't present either in Sm4sh or Other M) was enough, so, better not repeat it.
It is nice to see you again Bagan. I still play your Ridley mod to this day. It definitely helped convinced a lot of people that Ridley could work in Smash Bros.

On a side note, here is an interesting pre-Brawl poll tally I came across looking at old posts (over 11 years ago):
https://smashboards.com/threads/nin...er-voting-top-21-march-13.99139/#post-2218630

For those who do not want to click on the link:
I tallied all the the votes as of 3:00A.M. last night, and here are the results for the top contenders: (characters with 25 votes or more)

Sonic: 69
Ridley: 61
Diddy Kong: 43
Wolf: 35
King Dedede: 34
Krystal: 32
Ike: 32
Mega Man: 31
Geno: 28
Lucario: 27
Midna: 25

(NOTE: Some may of these may be 1-4 votes more than they should be, because I think I may have counted the votes of people who kept re-posting their lists, but they're pretty accurate for the most part)

Its amazing how Ridley was nearly up there with Sonic in terms of requests. He has been a massively requested character over 17 years now. Nearly every character on this list got confirmed in Brawl or Smash 4 with the exceptions of Ridley, Geno, Krystal, and Midna. I know such polls are not scientific but its an interesting time capsule, nevertheless.

As for those who wonder why K. Rool is not there, much like Dixie Kong now, most of the DK fanbase believed Diddy Kong should be prioritized over him and it was not until August 2007 where K. Rool was finally able to emerge from Diddy's shadow. I wonder if Dixie Kong will see a similar explosion in requests if K. Rool were to be confirmed.

Also, here is something a bit sad, the topic where Ridley fans learned of his boss role in Brawl:
https://smashboards.com/threads/ridley-is-here-confirm-boss-lucario-boss-battle-comparison.139575

My own post in that topic:
My heart .....I feel it breaking..... :(

Very hard to believe this was over ten years ago. To think, ten years later we are still fighting for Ridley's playable inclusion in Smash Bros. That was not something I was expecting (I felt confident Ridley would be playable in Smash 4 after Brawl's release). Now I am not so sure after Sakurai's own statements. However, this is definitely something I would like to be wrong on.

Ridley is absolutely historic. Many fans have came and went over the years. It is sad, but puts a perspective on the legacy this particularly fanbase has. Melee. Brawl. Smash 4. Now Smash Switch (or Smash 5). We Ridley fans have been marching despite defeat after defeat. But that is to be expected. Ridley never stays down, and neither do we.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
It’s a bit funny how the whole manufactured controversy about Ridley has made him somewhat of a household name. I’d imagine a lot of people probably either thought Mother Brain was the primary villain of Metroid or didn’t know who it was outright before “muh too big”. Now most everyone who plays Smash knows who this villain from what is unfortunately a third-rate franchise is. It’s cool in a way.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Still, nothing will ever top "You can fight battles that actually took place in feudal Japan *less than two seconds later* Now here's this giant enemy crab"
Konami's conference from 2010 still stands as the absolute worst, it was a trainwreck from beginning to end. Just find anything with it on Youtube, it's like the example of how wrong conferences can go.

One million troops... woaw!

Also, here is something a bit sad, the topic where Ridley fans learned of his boss role in Brawl:
https://smashboards.com/threads/ridley-is-here-confirm-boss-lucario-boss-battle-comparison.139575

Man, that makes for some grim reading. Kinda wish Brawl Central was still up so I could go back and find my own reaction, however embarassing it might have been.

For the people confused about why everyone in the thread was so uncertain, this image, or something similar from that cutscene, was the first image we got of him, and it created so much confusion because of the angle. Later the sucker punch came with this. Bad memories.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
As someone that has seen "leaks" for years, most of them end up being fake. The best route to is to set your expectations low.

It is nice to see you again Bagan. I still play your Ridley mod to this day. It definitely helped convinced a lot of people that Ridley could work in Smash Bros.

On a side note, here is an interesting pre-Brawl poll tally I came across looking at old posts (over 11 years ago):
https://smashboards.com/threads/nin...er-voting-top-21-march-13.99139/#post-2218630

For those who do not want to click on the link:
I tallied all the the votes as of 3:00A.M. last night, and here are the results for the top contenders: (characters with 25 votes or more)

Sonic: 69
Ridley: 61
Diddy Kong: 43
Wolf: 35
King Dedede: 34
Krystal: 32
Ike: 32
Mega Man: 31
Geno: 28
Lucario: 27
Midna: 25

(NOTE: Some may of these may be 1-4 votes more than they should be, because I think I may have counted the votes of people who kept re-posting their lists, but they're pretty accurate for the most part)

Its amazing how Ridley was nearly up there with Sonic in terms of requests. He has been a massively requested character over 17 years now. Nearly every character on this list got confirmed in Brawl or Smash 4 with the exceptions of Ridley, Geno, Krystal, and Midna. I know such polls are not scientific but its an interesting time capsule, nevertheless.

As for those who wonder why K. Rool is not there, much like Dixie Kong now, most of the DK fanbase believed Diddy Kong should be prioritized over him and it was not until August 2007 where K. Rool was finally able to emerge from Diddy's shadow. I wonder if Dixie Kong will see a similar explosion in requests if K. Rool were to be confirmed.

Very hard to believe this was over ten years ago. To think, ten years later we are still fighting for Ridley's playable inclusion in Smash Bros. That was not something I was expecting (I felt confident Ridley would be playable in Smash 4 after Brawl's release). Now I am not so sure after Sakurai's own statements. However, this is definitely something I would like to be wrong on.

Ridley is absolutely historic. Many fans have came and went over the years. It is sad, but puts a perspective on the legacy this particularly fanbase has. Melee. Brawl. Smash 4. Now Smash Switch (or Smash 5). We Ridley fans have been marching despite defeat after defeat. But that is to be expected. Ridley never stays down, and neither do we.
Ridley might not have the greatest beginnings, but at least there's always going to be that chance that his story closes with a happy ending. If he doesn't get in this Smash, then nothing has changed. We'll just have to support him in the next Smash, and then the one after that, and the one after that. Sooner or later, the hard work and dedication will pay off, and because of so many rejections, Ridley's reveal will be so much sweeter than what it would've been if he were revealed back in Brawl.

It’s a bit funny how the whole manufactured controversy about Ridley has made him somewhat of a household name. I’d imagine a lot of people probably either thought Mother Brain was the primary villain of Metroid or didn’t know who it was outright before “muh too big”. Now most everyone who plays Smash knows who this villain from what is unfortunately a third-rate franchise is. It’s cool in a way.
There's no such thing as bad publicity. These words couldn't be more true for Ridley and Smash.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I am curious about what the reaction would be. So many people have denied the slightest possibility, have bombarded fans with hate. The opposite is true too. We've also beem guilty of being too defensive in the past. The fallout will be interesting

.Shìkì

Smash Ace
Damn I was wondering why I did not get Alerts for this thread, seems like the boards update knocked out my sub >.<

Changed my Avatar to show my support, 6 days remaining, LET'S DO THIS!

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I am curious about what the reaction would be. So many people have denied the slightest possibility, have bombarded fans with hate. The opposite is true too. We've also beem guilty of being too defensive in the past. The fallout will be interesting
Luckily there haven't been a lot of detractors this time around, if he had got in Smash 4 then there'd have been a huge amount of people who would have had to eat their words. I like it this way though, I think if he is in then it'll just be pure celebrations now, I never liked it when people began talking about "smearing it in the too bigots' faces" if he was in, having any part of your support be fueled by negativity can only ever be a bad thing.

I'd hope that if it happens that fans just focus on being happy together, anything that has happened outside of our fanbase will be irrelevant in that moment.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Bandai Namco made the last game so it's not too far fetched to guess they would be working on the new one as well.

And about the game being a sequel and reusing assets, apart from the possibility it was going to be an enhanced port of Smash for Wii U, with extra features like content from Smash for 3DS, it wasn't exactly going to be a prequel, and all Smash games carry something over from the previous.
Pretty sure a former Bandai Namco employee, now Nintendo employee, pretty much confirmed Bandai Namco's involvement on twitter, but those tweets and his account got deleted. If I remember correctly, he mentioned about building the rendering engine before he left, which would suggest to me that it's new.

CrypticSpark

Smash Ace
NNID
Marky070
3DS FC
4940-5418-9057
Switch FC
SW-1528-9003-2135
Pretty sure a former Bandai Namco employee, now Nintendo employee, pretty much confirmed Bandai Namco's involvement on twitter, but those tweets and his account got deleted. If I remember correctly, he mentioned about building the rendering engine before he left, which would suggest to me that it's new.
You're using a outdated post, the one I said following that I said i took it out of context by mistake, what the original poster (DasVergeben) said was

DasVergeben said:
I know for sure and from one of my most credible and proven sources (the one who told me about Metroid Prime 4 being developed by Bandai Namco before anyone else said or knew

Last edited:

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
To be fair, figuring out Bandai-Namco would be involved in Smash 5 would be an easy guess for anybody, since they helped with Smash 4.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
To be fair, figuring out Bandai-Namco would be involved in Smash 5 would be an easy guess for anybody, since they helped with Smash 4.
I Still dont get why they have been so secretive about bandai namco developing the game? was that fake? wasnt like semi officially confirmed?

I mean.. as you say, it wouldnt be a surprise for anyone. it wont spoil anything... my only guess is that marketing really really want people not associating this game with smash 4, but even that is slightly iffy...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
God, it’s only a week away and yet it feels like an eternity here.

Here’s to hoping our favorite space dragon makes his long overdue debut at E3. I’ve been on this ride for too long now.

osby

Smash Obsessed
It's nice to see Ridley fans are kinda chill this time.

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
It's so close to the start for Nintendo's E3 that I think it's ok to at least entertain Vergeben's leak til then, just keep yourself in check (please) and don't go crazy if it turns out to be bogus.

It's been said before that a great trailer would be Ridley vs Simon Belmont but I'm thinking more along the lines of Ridley vs Snake honestly. I feel that'd be more interesting.

Hi guys, it's been awhile. Haven't posted on here since Smash Wii U came out. Well I'm back in time for the new game. I want to show my support for Ridley once more! And by the looks of it he's got a better chance this time around.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's nice to see Ridley fans are kinda chill this time.
Yeah. Unless this has all been one big smoke and mirror fest and Ridley doesn't show up at E3. Bonus points if there's another Pyrosphere situation. That'd unhinge things rather quickly.

I doubt that'll be the case this time though. Things are actually looking up for the bigboi.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Here's something fun to think about.

If Ridley is playable I can't see him having Samus's victory theme. I mean he could, but I think something more vicious and aggressive would fit better.

Thoughts? I think a remix of Vs. Ridley is most likely.
https://youtu.be/4Dd9v6fV2UA
Found this good one. Credit to the creator.

Last edited:

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
Yeah. Unless this has all been one big smoke and mirror fest and Ridley doesn't show up at E3. Bonus points if there's another Pyrosphere situation. That'd unhinge things rather quickly.

I doubt that'll be the case this time though. Things are actually looking up for the bigboi.
I’m just trying to keep myself in check. I’d recommend everybody else do the same. I’m trying as hard as I can not to let Vergieboi’s possibly fake leak get my hopes up.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I’m just trying to keep myself in check. I’d recommend everybody else do the same. I’m trying as hard as I can not to let Vergieboi’s possibly fake leak get my hopes up.
Again, Vergeben isn't even the source we need to be watching. He piggybacks off other people. ResetEra's mods (notably Jonneh) predicted Mario Tennis Aces on the same day before it was shown, and Inklings in Smash, and was the one saying stuff would be "big". Emily Rogers is also saying Smash Switch has a super fan-pleasing roster.

But it took forever for "Lazzyman is fake, he literally said it himself" to sink in around here so I'll just let it slide.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hi guys, it's been awhile. Haven't posted on here since Smash Wii U came out. Well I'm back in time for the new game. I want to show my support for Ridley once more! And by the looks of it he's got a better chance this time around.
Part of that reason is due to vergeben leak is off the ground since he got two switch games from konami correct

A compilation game and a action/adventure game

Possible piggyback but he thinks one of those might be a castlevania collection which would explain Simon a whole lot better to present for smash

Last edited by a moderator:

James Phillips

Smash Journeyman
Don't put all your faith into the DasV rumor, it's better to not expect and be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be real.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Don't put all your faith into the DasV rumor, it's better to not expect and be pleasantly surprised if it turns out to be real.
Oh absolutely I'm still considering it fake till proven other wise next week

If I see Simon or/and snake revealed before Ridley I can lock it in

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
Not to be that guy, but I guess Smash 4 and the infamous Pyrosphere debacle wasn't the first time some fans desparately said "no, he isn't a boss, it's just perspective! He's totally playable" or something like that.

That thread Chrono linked sent shivers down my spine, I feel so bad for everyone who had their hopes crushed like that. It's such a sad thing.

Here's to hoping that we all get validation after all of these year.

domriver

Smash Lord
6 days my fellow ridley friends OMG the Vas leak is looking so true omg.. is it really Ridleys time to shine? Should i put faith in this rumor ? I cant contain my excitement i think i will cry tears of joy ive been wanting ridley since melee. LOOONNG 6 DAYS GRR

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So if Ridley ends up getting in Smash, will anyone here camp outside the store and buy his amiibo (assuming he gets one), or does your love for Ridley only extend to him getting in Smash?

I've convinced myself that I'm gonna buy two on the release day; one to open and one to keep in the box because I'm sure the boxart will look glorious.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Image an if real and after Ridley is revealed playable and sakurai saids something like.

"I can't take it anymore I give up you can have a playable Ridley."

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So if Ridley ends up getting in Smash, will anyone here camp outside the store and buy his amiibo (assuming he gets one), or does your love for Ridley only extend to him getting in Smash?

I've convinced myself that I'm gonna buy two on the release day; one to open and one to keep in the box because I'm sure the boxart will look glorious.
I neeeeeeeed a Ridley amiibo. There's no way I can even afford the First4Figures statue of his that's being made

Top Bottom