• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Am I the only one whose first thought upon seeing Proteus Ridley was that he looked a lot like Smashified's Ridley? It's more than likely just a coincidence, but I thought it was pretty cool to see him looking like that.

I thought the fight was cool in itself when I finally got around to it, but his attack patterns got a bit predictable after a while IMO. The moment was still pretty hype though. Ridley's as badass as ever.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I find it really funny that when they reference the events of Zero Mission, they mention everyone but Kraid. The official guide even points out Proteus Ridley killing Samus' parents. It clearly shows who's relevamt in the universe.

Also, it's interesting that he is referred to as Proteus Ridley during the events of Zero Mission (as in, when the guide retells the story leading up to Samus Returns). That is (obviously) pre-Meta. I wonder if that's just a one-off thing, or they just decided to call him that from now on. The name does make sense regardless though

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I find it really funny that when they reference the events of Zero Mission, they mention everyone but Kraid. The official guide even points out Proteus Ridley killing Samus' parents. It clearly shows who's relevamt in the universe.

Also, it's interesting that he is referred to as Proteus Ridley during the events of Zero Mission (as in, when the guide retells the story leading up to Samus Returns). That is (obviously) pre-Meta. I wonder if that's just a one-off thing, or they just decided to call him that from now on. The name does make sense regardless though
Ok...this confused me quite a bit...so...they are calling Proteus the fully fleshy version of Rids too and not only the half mecha/half fleshy version of him? >_> And I think I should check the timeline again...

Quillion

Smash Hero
I must say, Samus Returns has mostly changed my opinion on how Ridley could work as a playable character in Smash. It's almost like MercurySteam was trying to prove to Sakurai that he could work.

I still have some doubts about his body shape, though. I believe that the wings and the tail are what kill his chances. I think if those aspects a shrunk down, he could actually work while still making him recognizable.

His neutral stance could definitely resemble Donkey Kong's just like in SR, and his walking stance could have him walk low to the ground just like how Bowser's pre-Smash 4 run had him close to the ground.

IronTed

Smash Ace
Ok...this confused me quite a bit...so...they are calling Proteus the fully fleshy version of Rids too and not only the half mecha/half fleshy version of him? >_> And I think I should check the timeline again...
Well, to quote the presented timeline:

"Once there, Samus infiltrated the planet. Upon reaching the guts of the Space Pirate base, she found the second-in-command, the pterodactyl-like Proteus Ridley, the one who had personally taken Samus' parents from her. For Samus, Proteus Ridley wasn't just a roadblock keeping her from completing her mission; this fight was personal."

Later on it says

"The fight on Zebes took Samus' reputation from capable Space Hunter to legendary hero. Unfortunately the schemes of the Space Pirates and Proteus Ridley didn't end there, and the Metroids reappeared to pose a threat time and time again. Always, Samus was the one called to put an end to them. The last time Proteus Ridley was seen, he was defeated once and for all, and the Space Pirate scourge was considered destroyed-or, at the very least, incapacitated."

He is called Proteus Ridley during Zero Mission.

The last paragraph basically confirms (again) that prime is canon, given that it states Ridley and the metroids appeared numerous times (explaining why the GF decided to eradicate the metroids for good). So yeah, canonically, SR is far from the 2nd time Samus defeated Ridley. Or rather, Proteus Ridley.

This is from the guide. Not sure if the various wikis have it posted yet.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Well, to quote the presented timeline:

"Once there, Samus infiltrated the planet. Upon reaching the guts of the Space Pirate base, she found the second-in-command, the pterodactyl-like Proteus Ridley, the one who had personally taken Samus' parents from her. For Samus, Proteus Ridley wasn't just a roadblock keeping her from completing her mission; this fight was personal."

Later on it says

"The fight on Zebes took Samus' reputation from capable Space Hunter to legendary hero. Unfortunately the schemes of the Space Pirates and Proteus Ridley didn't end there, and the Metroids reappeared to pose a threat time and time again. Always, Samus was the one called to put an end to them. The last time Proteus Ridley was seen, he was defeated once and for all, and the Space Pirate scourge was considered destroyed-or, at the very least, incapacitated."

He is called Proteus Ridley during Zero Mission.

The last paragraph basically confirms (again) that prime is canon, given that it states Ridley and the metroids appeared numerous times (explaining why the GF decided to eradicate the metroids for good). So yeah, canonically, SR is far from the 2nd time Samus defeated Ridley. Or rather, Proteus Ridley.

This is from the guide. Not sure if the various wikis have it posted yet.
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_timeline

Yup, it is already added. xD I just got so confused, but yeah, they are referring to Prime 3 and how Ridley had apparently blown up to pieces when in reality he was hidding while heavily injured inside the Leviathan.

=3= Glad that the confirmation finally came of the Trilogy being canon, makes it even easier to forget about Other M, though, it is funny to recall it.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
http://metroid.wikia.com/wiki/Metroid_timeline

Yup, it is already added. xD I just got so confused, but yeah, they are referring to Prime 3 and how Ridley had apparently blown up to pieces when in reality he was hidding while heavily injured inside the Leviathan.

=3= Glad that the confirmation finally came of the Trilogy being canon, makes it even easier to forget about Other M, though, it is funny to recall it.
Yeah, contradictions and inconsistencies are not enough to make something noncanonical. Metroid Prime had a huge inconsistency (the Pirates accessing Metroid Prime in the impact crater) that the PAL release tried to rectify.

AndreaAC

Yeah, contradictions and inconsistencies are not enough to make something noncanonical. Metroid Prime had a huge inconsistency (the Pirates accessing Metroid Prime in the impact crater) that the PAL release tried to rectify.
:> But I think that inconsistancy is minor in comparison to all of MOM. xD

Also, has ever made a theme/music you are listening to at a certain moment make you imagine stuff?
MOM.png

xD I was listening to Proteus Rid's phase 3 theme and the screeching sound from the beginning made me think of Ridley scrapping the wall to disturb Mother Brain.

D

Deleted member

Also, has ever made a theme/music you are listening to at a certain moment make you imagine stuff?
View attachment 133236
xD I was listening to Proteus Rid's phase 3 theme and the screeching sound from the beginning made me think of Ridley scrapping the wall to disturb Mother Brain.
This made me think of Ridley usurping control from Mother Brain while she's in a vulnerable state.

IronTed

Smash Ace

View attachment 133236
MOM is more like a massive, walking contradiction. But we should probably drop it, MOM discussion rarely ends well.

That picture reminds me of the Space Pirate Confederation in a way, I could totally see Ridley getting bored and doing that.

I still am really sad that never got finished, I really wanted to see his take on Fusion.

AndreaAC

MOM is more like a massive, walking contradiction. But we should probably drop it, MOM discussion rarely ends well.

That picture reminds me of the Space Pirate Confederation in a way, I could totally see Ridley getting bored and doing that.

I still am really sad that never got finished, I really wanted to see his take on Fusion.
xD I get ya.

Oh my, that brings back really fond memories of reading Space Pirate Confederation before like you said, the author dropped it. In fact I got inspired by it when making my silly Roidley , reminding myself of his take on Kraid; it was just so funny to read his ridiculous (sometimes adorable) dialog. xD And also Ridley's anger issues with both of them at times. I would have loved it to continue too, the only thing I didn't like was the apparently he considered Roidley's Pokemon Evolution to be canon for Ridley or something like that.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
xD I get ya.

Oh my, that brings back really fond memories of reading Space Pirate Confederation before like you said, the author dropped it. In fact I got inspired by it when making my silly Roidley , reminding myself of his take on Kraid; it was just so funny to read his ridiculous (sometimes adorable) dialog. xD And also Ridley's anger issues with both of them at times. I would have loved it to continue too, the only thing I didn't like was the apparently he considered Roidley's Pokemon Evolution to be canon for Ridley or something like that.
Yeah, I really enjoyed how he characterized the various pirates. Kraid, Phantoon, etc. Also how he added new ones as well (Victum especially). And how he inserted them into places (like Other M) in a way that felt natural (even if breaking official canon).

Confederation Ridley with Slowbeef voice is my personal headcanon. It's the official unoffical Ridley.

That's kind of cool though, Roidley being inspried by Kraid. It definitely makes me appreciate that more.

AndreaAC

Yeah, I really enjoyed how he characterized the various pirates. Kraid, Phantoon, etc. Also how he added new ones as well (Victum especially). And how he inserted them into places (like Other M) in a way that felt natural (even if breaking official canon).

Confederation Ridley with Slowbeef voice is my personal headcanon. It's the official unoffical Ridley.

That's kind of cool though, Roidley being inspried by Kraid. It definitely makes me appreciate that more.
xD Oh yeah, I think I should take a re-reading after so long! That is if it is still there. From what you mentioned, I also remember Ridley and Draygon's rivalry, and Mother Brain's Gibberish. xD Or the line "I'm the Starscream of the Space Pirates." when he was in his Omega form.

IT'S A LIVIN'! Couldn't be any more fitting! There's the "I'm still fallin' " line that I don't remember if it came from Slowbeef and Diabetus or from that story. I used to reference that at times when Ridley said he preferred to be still falling than getting embarrassed by his group of incompetents (the Space Pirates).

:D That's great to hear! xD Me too actually, that story was one of the reasons on why I enjoy drawing Riddles and give him a personality, alongiside Roidley.

Last edited:

IronTed

Smash Ace
xD Oh yeah, I think I should take a re-reading after so long! That is if it is still there. From what you mentioned, I also remember Ridley and Draygon's rivalry, and Mother Brain's Gibberish. xD Or the line "I'm the Starscream of the Space Pirates." when he was in his Omega form.

IT'S A LIVIN'! Couldn't be any more fitting! There's the "I'm still fallin' " line that I don't remember if it came from Slowbeef and Diabetus or from that story. I used to reference that at times when Ridley said he preferred to be still falling than getting embarrassed by his group of incompetents (the Space Pirates).

:D That's great to hear! xD Me too actually, that story was one of the reasons on why I enjoy drawing Riddles and give him a personality, alongiside Roidley.
Yeah, I really loved the lines
"take me to it"
"but sir, the air kills us"
"I meant the portal you idiot. I am the only one with a brain around here?"

The "Still fallin' " line is from Slowbeef and Diabetus. There's so many great quotes from those things, it's wonderful.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Yeah, I really loved the lines
"take me to it"
"but sir, the air kills us"
"I meant the portal you idiot. I am the only one with a brain around here?"

The "Still fallin' " line is from Slowbeef and Diabetus. There's so many great quotes from those things, it's wonderful.
xD I laughed! That guy was a GENIUS when it came to the comedic dialog, I think I am gonna read it again just for the sake of nostalgia.

I hope they get some hilarious Metroid LPs again if there's one of Samus Returns that is terrible. I would love to hear the Ridley voice with these kind of quotes more recently. Though they seem to be stuck with the game Jack Orlando.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Playing devil's advocate here, what makes you guys want ridley, as opposed to one of the many stages of the Metroid, something the series is named for? I could see Zeta Metroid as a healthy alternative, and Prime 4 is coming out soon anyway.

The features are obviously very Yoshi-like, but the attacks could be gritty and realistic. Plus, size is shown to be irrelevant in this case.
healthy? all i see potential Assist Trophy for Metroid's share in Smash
and for Prime 4, it's only helps for Sylux since he'll star as an important antagonist for that game, not a random Zeta Metroid.

will this be the "Mysterious Creature" alternative, people once cited for Ridley's case, again?

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
Every time I see "Proteus Ridley" I think of the game Proteus

Ridley happily frolicking through the woods without a care in the world

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
I've spent literally more than half of my entire life praying to Sakurai for Ridley to be playable ! Never give up my friends !!

Quillion

Smash Hero
randy2dope randy2dope : Like I said, I think MercurySteam actively worked towards making Ridley look viable as a playable character.

The only thing that holds him back at this point are the wings and tail, and those things can definitely be shrunk down.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I will continue to support Ridley and continue to not expect him until he actually gets into Smash.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
My support for Ridley is there. He should've been in the series as a playable fighter by now since Melee. Metroid needs at least one other character rep besides another clone of Samus and what better one than her arch-nemesis Ridley?

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
New upcoming merchandise to be released soon (thanks @Tortilla Noggin for the heads up):

Heat change mug.

Super Metroid boxart design.

SNES boxart coasters (comes in a set of four).

Super Metroid boxart design.

SNES themed gadget decals.

Super Metroid boxart design, and Ridley line art.

This is official merchandise.

AndreaAC

proteus2.png
Proteus.png
I was checking the Metroid Database and they have the Samus Return's art gallery up, with some evident amplifications. Ridley's color looks perfect here. And I think this kinda makes it seem that Ridley indeed got his purple skin/scales back to when he had his muscles (redish/pale purple) exposed in his Omega form.

IronTed

Smash Ace
I was checking the Metroid Database and they have the Samus Return's art gallery up, with some evident amplifications. Ridley's color looks perfect here. And I think this kinda makes it seem that Ridley indeed got his purple skin/scales back to when he had his muscles (redish/pale purple) exposed in his Omega form.
MercurySteam did a great job with the concept art in this game, and Ridley is definitely high up there. We still need to see Ridley in HD though. And I mean the real Ridley, not spinoff appearances like Nintendoland or Smash. Hopefully Prime 4 fixes that.

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Okay guys, there's been a new update for the Meta Ridley figure.

A staff member from First 4 Figures posted this recently:

As you can see here, the Meta Ridley figure will be larger than both the 1/4 scale Varia Suit figure and the Link & Loftwing figure. The Meta Ridley figure is scaled with the original Varia Suit figure (on the right), and is said to be more expensive than the Bowser figure (not pictured), which is $699.99 + shipping. Our wallets will surely cry.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Nearly a grand huh? Should've figured as much, but now I'm even less sure if that'll be for me to get. Depends on how long it's available for sale I guess along with other factors. Would've been easier for me had it not been delayed...

While I'm here, guess I'll post some good art that was come across earlier... The Cuphead inspired one captures the heart.

ridley_by_schlossbauer-dbqry06.jpg

AndreaAC

Nearly a grand huh? Should've figured as much, but now I'm even less sure if that'll be for me to get. Depends on how long it's available for sale I guess along with other factors. Would've been easier for me had it not been delayed...

While I'm here, guess I'll post some good art that was come across earlier... The Cuphead inspired one captures the heart.

View attachment 133460
x3 Aww, the first one is just so cute! >_> Though, if they are going with what happens with that certain boss at the end, it would be rather disturbing.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
x3 Aww, the first one is just so cute! >_> Though, if they are going with what happens with that certain boss at the end, it would be rather disturbing.
I haven't seen much of Cuphead beyond one review or so, but I'll take your word on said boss for it. Was thinking about getting the game someday.

One other good art I realized I forgot to post...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
How about that...

Happy Halloween!

Last edited:

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Speaking of lights:

Super Metroid Luminart. It's a free standing and wall mountable light, dual powered: with batteries and a USB cable. Official merchandise, releasing this month.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Not sure if anyone would care about this as such, but it's worth posting about anyway since it relates to Ridley. More merchandise featuring Ridley is on the way:

http://i.imgur.com/1PcW0Xf.png
PDP SNES Classic Deluxe carry case.

You can carry your SNES mini and controllers in this case, and the plates shown above are changeable. There are 3 plates which are double sided, and Super Metroid's boxart is on one of them (therefore Ridley is on there). As you can see, it's based on the US version of the SNES. It's available on Amazon (US) for anyone who's interested in buying one. Meanwhile, we have yet to see if Europe and Japan will get one based on the designs of their respective versions.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
I support Ridley, but I stand by my opinion that he needs to be redesigned to fit in Smash.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I figured I'd share this green scorpion countdown on video game dragons. You know who makes this list, but you may be watching a while before you see him ;)

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Okay guys, there's been a new update for the Meta Ridley figure.

A staff member from First 4 Figures posted this recently:

As you can see here, the Meta Ridley figure will be larger than both the 1/4 scale Varia Suit figure and the Link & Loftwing figure. The Meta Ridley figure is scaled with the original Varia Suit figure (on the right), and is said to be more expensive than the Bowser figure (not pictured), which is $699.99 + shipping. Our wallets will surely cry.
Yahoo! Thanks for the update! I was just looking at my Link on Loftwing and assumed Ridley would be as big if not bigger. Completely worth it for me, I absolutely can not wait!

I wonder what that base will be.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
Yahoo! Thanks for the update! I was just looking at my Link on Loftwing and assumed Ridley would be as big if not bigger. Completely worth it for me, I absolutely can not wait!

I wonder what that base will be.
From what I've seen, Meta Ridley won't release for a long time. However, First 4 Figures recently teased a close up image of what appears to be a part of Meta Ridley's head. Usually when they do this, they build up momentum of suspense/hype until they're finally ready to show the whole thing. I'm trying to keep an eye out for news and details, and post updates here and elsewhere. Bear in mind that even if they show what it looks like, they'll still have to discuss with Nintendo whether they have to make changes to the figure, which means they'll have to adjust the model in CAD form[?] via computer and then recast it, then paint it, and then show Nintendo again. It could go either way - smoothly with little changes/no changes, or take a long time and have many changes. The Varia Suit has had 4[?] adjustments, since Nintendo weren't happy with each result, but I think now it's being finalised.

D

Deleted member

At this point, I'm on the side that would rather have Meta/Proteus Ridley than the fully organic variety should he somehow make the jump to playable fighter.

Cyborg space dragon > Regular space dragon.

I mean, just look at it.

WVW69kpP4pEY8ZwcDJ.jpg

Perfection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom