• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Even worse, whether or not a character meets those unfair expectations seems to be what everyone is building preliminary tier lists around. The Ice Climbers are getting the worst of things in that regard.
One of the most ridiculous examples of this I've heard from ESAM: Samus is bottom tier just because her dash attack doesn't start combos like in late Smash 4. Glossing over how mid-air charging is a huge game-changer for how that shot can be used, missiles can be made more useful by burning opponent's air dodges, bombs explode on contact again making them more useful for deterring approaches, calling her grab game underwhelming when her back throw is now considerably stronger and dthrow, though it may or may not true combo into stuff, still puts opponents in a tricky spot like Mewtwo's did... actually a lot of Samus's moves apparently have more knockback, including Screw Attack. I think Samus players will just have to approach her differently.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
One of the most ridiculous examples of this I've heard from ESAM: Samus is bottom tier just because her dash attack doesn't start combos like in late Smash 4. Glossing over how mid-air charging is a huge game-changer for how that shot can be used, missiles can be made more useful by burning opponent's air dodges, bombs explode on contact again making them more useful for deterring approaches, calling her grab game underwhelming when her back throw is now considerably stronger and dthrow, though it may or may not true combo into stuff, still puts opponents in a tricky spot like Mewtwo's did... actually a lot of Samus's moves apparently have more knockback, including Screw Attack. I think Samus players will just have to approach her differently.
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Samus, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Zelda, etc. were all bottom tier in both Smash 4 and Brawl, because while they did receive improvements from Brawl, they were the kind of base improvements that everyone got as a consequence of the game being faster. A lot of people think Ganon is going to be so much better in this game because of how much faster he is, but that's just the same thing mostly. Everyone's faster.

The problems with low-tier characters are usually more fundamental. Good characters are ones that are both fast and versatile. Little Mac has the best ground game of all the characters, but he's low-tier because he sucks in the air. Ganondorf's problem is that he's slow and most of his moves aren't good for competitive play. He's faster, but so is everyone else, but his moves still suck. Samus has a similar problem where her ranged moves aren't that great for competitive play; they're more like Ridley's Down-B, which Sakurai admits is better for 3+ player matches where you can catch players unaware, but not so much in 1-on-1's. So if Samus's moves have different effects, that might be a good thing. Time will tell how these characters have been affected by the changes.

Ridley has quite a bit of versatility to him from what we've seen so far, and he's pretty fast compared to other heavyweights like Dedede and Ganondorf. His command grab is also a really damn good move, so I can't wait to see how that's used competitively. On the ground, it's a free "GTFO the stage" move, and in the air, it can be used to lob people under the stage.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I've had Isabelle on my prediction roster for a while so I don't think this is a huge surprise. Vergenben has thus just made sense to me.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
yesterday it seems verben said isabell is in....
Vergeben is not exactly a trustworthy leaker in my eyes, and his Isabelle claim does not change my perception of his Smash "leaks". If we get Simon or some sort of Minecraft content then sure I'll believe him, but Isabelle's often considered at least a safe bet if not a shoo-in. Heck, I consider her the second most likely first-party newcomer.

Or in other words, even if Isabelle's confirmed it doesn't make Vergeben any more trustworthy.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not that I don't think we shouldn't take any rumor with a grain of salt, but keep in mind that Ridley himself was a huge surprise. The first Ultimate leak from Vergeben included only Ridley, and a lot of people immediately dismissed him because, hey, how would Ridley ever get in Smash? Then his second leak doubled down on Ridley and also included Ice Climbers, Snake, and Simon. For whatever reason, people took that leak more seriously. This was about the same time Ridley was popping up more frequently on prediction rosters.

Vergeben is far from perfect, but he's correctly predicted quite a few things in Ultimate so far. In my opinion, it shouldn't matter if Isabelle seems like an easy guess, because he's already proven himself with Ridley long before people gave the space dragon the time of day. Speaking of which, he's also claiming that the same source who leaked Ridley is claiming Isabelle is in Smash, so that's something to consider.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Samus, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Zelda, etc. were all bottom tier in both Smash 4 and Brawl, because while they did receive improvements from Brawl, they were the kind of base improvements that everyone got as a consequence of the game being faster. A lot of people think Ganon is going to be so much better in this game because of how much faster he is, but that's just the same thing mostly. Everyone's faster.

The problems with low-tier characters are usually more fundamental. Good characters are ones that are both fast and versatile. Little Mac has the best ground game of all the characters, but he's low-tier because he sucks in the air. Ganondorf's problem is that he's slow and most of his moves aren't good for competitive play. He's faster, but so is everyone else, but his moves still suck. Samus has a similar problem where her ranged moves aren't that great for competitive play; they're more like Ridley's Down-B, which Sakurai admits is better for 3+ player matches where you can catch players unaware, but not so much in 1-on-1's. So if Samus's moves have different effects, that might be a good thing. Time will tell how these characters have been affected by the changes.

Ridley has quite a bit of versatility to him from what we've seen so far, and he's pretty fast compared to other heavyweights like Dedede and Ganondorf. His command grab is also a really damn good move, so I can't wait to see how that's used competitively. On the ground, it's a free "GTFO the stage" move, and in the air, it can be used to lob people under the stage.
Ganondorf has no shortage of good moves outside Warlock Punch and Volcano Kick (which is now a good deal faster with more range). It's often been stated his moves on a fast character would be broken.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Vergeben is not exactly a trustworthy leaker in my eyes, and his Isabelle claim does not change my perception of his Smash "leaks". If we get Simon or some sort of Minecraft content then sure I'll believe him, but Isabelle's often considered at least a safe bet if not a shoo-in. Heck, I consider her the second most likely first-party newcomer.

Or in other words, even if Isabelle's confirmed it doesn't make Vergeben any more trustworthy.
How is Vergeben not trustworthy? He got major leaks correct. He knew of Ridley, ICs, Snake, and the whole roster coming back before any other leaker did.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
How is Vergeben not trustworthy? He got major leaks correct. He knew of Ridley, ICs, Snake, and the whole roster coming back before any other leaker did.
He got some major leaks correct for other games (such as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Injustice 2), but he was incorrect on others (such as saying that Goku Black would be DLC for Dragon Ball FighterZ).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I remember one Ridley player notably trying to kill Mother Brain when she appeared... didn't work out too well for him though.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
NQOihtF.jpg

Sure you can forgive, but you never really forget, and I'll enjoy thrashing the bunny AT (which will take some in-game screenshots of) accordingly so.

I know it was just Memetindo of America's localizations and not the bunny itself, but still.=p

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
View attachment 154950

Sure you can forgive, but you never really forget, and I'll enjoy thrashing the bunny AT (which will take some in-game screenshots of) accordingly so.

I know it was just Memetindo of America's localizations and not the bunny itself, but still.=p
WIP.png

XP I will enjoy thrashing it as well. xD I may or may not finish this later.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Also does anyone else find it kind of weird that Ridley has several Darkness-elemental attacks?

Is Ridley a wizard?

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
He's in league with Ganondorf, obviously.

Observe:
If Smash 4 ever gets another Story Mode, I want Ridley and Ganondorf to team up more than anyone.

Firstly because mixing fantasy and sci-fi is always fun, secondly because their roles would perfectly complement each other; Ganondorf prefers working from the shadows and manipulating others, and Ridley prefers working as an enforcer under bigger villains and rarely takes center stage.

Only thing that could possibly break their alliance is Ganondorf stabbing Ridley in the back or NOT letting him kill Samus for whatever reason, both of which seem unlikely.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Don't forget king k rool!

And it's obvious Mewtwo is based off of movie 1 Mewtwo. They seem to align him as a bad guy in smash, too. I'd love to see all these guys together

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
If Smash 4 ever gets another Story Mode, I want Ridley and Ganondorf to team up more than anyone.

Firstly because mixing fantasy and sci-fi is always fun, secondly because their roles would perfectly complement each other; Ganondorf prefers working from the shadows and manipulating others, and Ridley prefers working as an enforcer under bigger villains and rarely takes center stage.
Not to mention it wouldn't be the first time Ridley has worked under Ganondorf. Remember the Subspace Emissary?

AndreaAC

Only thing that could possibly break their alliance is Ganondorf stabbing Ridley in the back or NOT letting him kill Samus for whatever reason, both of which seem unlikely.
xD My Ridley is not willing nor ever wants to having to ally with any of the other villains (And gets annoyed when the Master Hand forces him to do that in team battles), because to him, they are not worth his time. He's in a way "alone" (not really, my silly Roidley is with him most of the time with a few exceptions where he would be on forced breaks by Ridley's orders, and there's also Rosalina and the Lumas).

Oh, and he also thinks of himself to be superior than the other villains (and that's a fact). :>

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
xD My Ridley is not willing nor ever wants to having to ally with any of the other villains (And gets annoyed when the Master Hand forces him to do that in team battles), because to him, they are not worth his time. He's in a way "alone" (not really, my silly Roidley is with him most of the time with a few exceptions where he would be on forced breaks by Ridley's orders, and there's also Rosalina and the Lumas).

Oh, and he also thinks of himself to be superior than the other villains (and that's a fact). :>
Yeah, unless you have some sort of mind-control and/or eclipse Ridley in strength, he's not listening to anyone. If there are no Space Pirates to command in this universe, then killing Samus is likely his only real goal. I'd imagine he was the one responsible for stealing Samus's armour in SSE.

As for the "darkness" on his side b, remember that in Samus Returns he breathed purple fire, could cloak himself in some unspecified dark energy in Other M, and in Metroid Prime could ignite his hands before swiping at Samus in close range.

Last edited:

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
He got some major leaks correct for other games (such as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in Injustice 2), but he was incorrect on others (such as saying that Goku Black would be DLC for Dragon Ball FighterZ).
Honestly I would chalk that up to getting incorrect information or something changing. It seems apparent, at least to me, that he obviously gets information from credible sources, but that information might be too vague at times or things might change after the information is received. Nobody just randomly gets as many things right as he does.

I also figure that Ridley would act on his own and wouldn't like other villains just as much as he wouldn't like Samus or the other heroes. If they aren't aligned with him or the pirates, they are enemies. It's like in wrestling -- the good guys might all like each other or work together against the bad guys, and the bad guys hate the good guys, but the bad guys tend to not like each other either. I think that would apply to Ridley. If they brought Subspace back, it'd be cool to have Ridley working independent of the Subspace Army.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
My personal opinion is that Ridley doesn't mind working for others, as long as he gets to have his fill of killing things and they give him a certain of freedom (eg: piss Samus off as much as possible)

I mean do we actually know if he's the leader of the space pirates when Mother Brain and Dark Samus isn't around or is he just a general / commander

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Yeah, I feel that Ganondorf and Ridley would work well together. The Dorf prefers to control from the background and Ridley is in-your-face, so the two could work well together...until Ridley gets ideas of taking charge himself...

Still, since there is some amount of bureaucratic micromanaging involved in Evil, inc., I can see Ridley preferring to be the enforcer and letting Ganon handle that.

Basically:
:ultganondorf: Leads from the shadows
:ultridley: Does the dirty work
:ultbowser: Is the ineffective small timer who doesn’t realize how far above him this goes.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
My personal opinion is that Ridley doesn't mind working for others, as long as he gets to have his fill of killing things and they give him a certain of freedom (eg: piss Samus off as much as possible)
I like to imagine that the only reason why Ridley's the leader of the Space Pirates is just because his superiors got killed off over time and he was smart and strong enough to be naturally promoted through the ranks. He never actively sought leadership, he was just suited for the job.

The conversation probably went like this:

High Command: Want to be our leader?
Ridley: I can still kill things, right?
High Command: Sure.
Ridley: Cool beans.

Yeah, I feel that Ganondorf and Ridley would work well together. The Dorf prefers to control from the background and Ridley is in-your-face, so the two could work well together...until Ridley gets ideas of taking charge himself...

Still, since there is some amount of bureaucratic micromanaging involved in Evil, inc., I can see Ridley preferring to be the enforcer and letting Ganon handle that.

Basically:
:ultganondorf: Leads from the shadows
:ultridley: Does the dirty work
:ultbowser: Is the ineffective small timer who doesn’t realize how far above him this goes.
I've thought about incorporating Bowser too.
In my head, Bowser would be the leader, Ridley would be his enforcer, and Ganondorf would be the puppetmaster pulling Bowser's strings. Ridley might notice his boss being manipulated, but that's none of his business.

The other teamup I want is Wolf and Ridley since they occupy the same niche of "secondary villain, primary nemesis" and could both be considered mercenaries.

AndreaAC

Progress.png

XD Some progress, I am actually trying to do this as fast as I can, and it will not look perfect. I think I only need Ridley's wings and the cursed bunny done. Maybe not today.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I see Ridley as someone who COULD be the main villain of Metroid who could plot Ganondorf-level diabolical schemes, but acts like a mindless screeching dragon under orders of some greater villain because he has more fun indulging his base instincts than actually applying himself.

He reminds me of Sauron.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Regarding Bowser, he's actually become more savvy to other villain's backstabbing lately (Antasma in Dream Team, and his paper self in Paper Jam). His relationship with his troops is also unique in that they fully admire Bowser for his own merits, not fear or some kind of conditioning. In turn Bowser expects full, genuine loyalty, but the later RPGs show he's not above playing dirty if he expects the same from his entourage. SSE is one of the very few examples of Bowser being fully loyal to someone above him, even being saddened by his defeat. What he was planning to do under him isn't clear though. Maybe he wants to be in charge just because he feels he'd do a better job of ruling?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
TFW you get in over the latest gimmick of a company's greatest mascot:

View attachment 155106
I think I first posted this way earlier back, but is good seeing again, and like how well it has aged now, considering. :p

I see Ridley as someone who COULD be the main villain of Metroid who could plot Ganondorf-level diabolical schemes, but acts like a mindless screeching dragon under orders of some greater villain because he has more fun indulging his base instincts than actually applying himself.

He reminds me of Sauron.

Remember likening Sauron to Ridley too... Even in the old X-Men cartoon he was basically a green Ridley with torn pants, appearance-wise.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Remember likening Sauron to Ridley too... Even in the old X-Men cartoon he was basically a green Ridley with torn pants, appearance-wise.
How about Dry Ridley?

Core_Hyren_MMORPG.png

Had this guy, the Core Hyren from Magi-Nation, as my avatar once. Ironically, in stark contrast to the realm he resides in and it's residents, he's actually a pretty nice guy.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Another Invitational that happened at an event in Spain. Player is Robo~Luigi (same person in those examples posted a page ago). Although he swaps around characters in the set, Ridley was his most played overall.

Sadly the footage cuts off partway through, though there's a ton more matches on the channel.

The taunt to get sweetspot down b'd is poetic justice. That also makes 2 Invitational wins for Ridley.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Another Invitational that happened at an event in Spain. Player is Robo~Luigi (same person in those examples posted a page ago). Although he swaps around characters in the set, Ridley was his most played overall.

Sadly the footage cuts off partway through, though there's a ton more matches on the channel.

The taunt to get sweetspot down b'd is poetic justice. That also makes 2 Invitational wins for Ridley.
10:57 New combo: Taunt to get impaled.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
any one gifted in art can draw me a picture to use for a playmat? I am wanting it to combine my 2 interest smash and dbz, kind of like a reimaging smash characters as dragonball characters. ( I play dragonball super tcg, which is what it would be used for)

example:

Mario = Goku
Luigi = Gohan
sonic= vegeta
yoshi= piccolo
mewtwo= frieza
Bowser= Broly
ridley = cooler
Kirby= majin Buu
ganon= cell
ect..

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

A scene of Ganondorf, or really any of the villains riding Ridley like the bad ass dragon he is would be awesome. Imagine a cutscene of Ganondorf using Ridley as a mount, before dismounting and double teaming with Ridley on some poor hero like Samus or Mario.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
A scene of Ganondorf, or really any of the villains riding Ridley like the bad *** dragon he is would be awesome. Imagine a cutscene of Ganondorf using Ridley as a mount, before dismounting and double teaming with Ridley on some poor hero like Samus or Mario.
As cool as that is to imagine, I couldn't really see Ridley agreeing to be a mount for anybody.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I can see Ridley working together if only to try to backstab Ganondorf in the end. I don't think they'd genuinely work together. Both are the type to not want to work with others and wouldn't want the other to achieve some kind of ultimate power or something.

Top Bottom