• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I really hope Sakurai eventually talks about why he dropped the whole "won't feel like Ridley if he's scaled down and can't fly freely" point, it can't be fan demand alone as that's always been there.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I really hope Sakurai eventually talks about why he dropped the whole "won't feel like Ridley if he's scaled down and can't fly freely" point, it can't be fan demand alone as that's always been there.
Ridley is one of the few frequently requested characters who checked off all three of the major qualifications to get in Smash.

(1) Popularity
(2) Relevancy
(3) Iconicness

Even if Sakurai's explanation is as simple as, "fans wanted him", it's clear that Ridley had plenty of other qualifications besides his massive popularity. I'd appreciate it if Sakurai would clarify this just so people understand that Ridley wasn't entirely fanservice, but how can I complain? Ridley got in Smash, and I'm thankful just for that.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I think when the full roster is revealed we'll see that this games roster has more fanservice than any other Smash game.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley is one of the few frequently requested characters who checked off all three of the major qualifications to get in Smash.

(1) Popularity
(2) Relevancy
(3) Iconicness

Even if Sakurai's explanation is as simple as, "fans wanted him", it's clear that Ridley had plenty of other qualifications besides his massive popularity. I'd appreciate it if Sakurai would clarify this just so people understand that Ridley wasn't entirely fanservice, but how can I complain? Ridley got in Smash, and I'm thankful just for that.
Obviously, but he also had all of those points in his favor for Brawl and Smash 4, he's always ticked all of the boxes which is why it was surprising that he didn't make it into either, so it just strikes me as odd that it changed now. Maybe it just is so simple as Sakurai feeling like it was time for him to get in, but I'd still be interested to hear the reasoning from the man himself.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Actually Ridley was probably at his least relevant when the roster was decided. Samus Returns was being developed by third party studio with no public announcement at the time so it was probably too new for too much roster influence

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Obviously, but he also had all of those points in his favor for Brawl and Smash 4, he's always ticked all of the boxes which is why it was surprising that he didn't make it into either, so it just strikes me as odd that it changed now. Maybe it just is so simple as Sakurai feeling like it was time for him to get in, but I'd still be interested to hear the reasoning from the man himself.
I always assumed it was just bad luck on Ridley's part. The fact that Ridley was one of the first newcomers revealed makes me think Sakurai realized that the doubts he had about making Ridley a stage boss in Smash 4 instead of a playable character were correct, and that there wasn't really a way he could fix his mistake until the next Smash game.

Of course, that's just my speculation.

Actually Ridley was probably at his least relevant when the roster was decided. Samus Returns was being developed by third party studio with no public announcement at the time so it was probably too new for too much roster influence
If you include his role as a stage boss, I'd say Ridley was just as relevant as Metroid itself at the time.

Either way, I'm sure Sakurai knew that if and when Metroid got a new game, Ridley would likely be in it. Relevancy was probably the least of his concerns, or at least compared to popularity and iconicness.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Smash Ridley seems like a mix between his Super Metroid, Zero Mission and Other M appearance.

I mean, I doubt Samus Returns had much of an impact on Ridley's inclusion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How heavy would you say he is compared to other characters - or at least Smash 4?
It was hard to tell given that I did For Fun, but he feels lighter than the other heavies. It felt like I was dying way earlier compared to Bowser, DK, or even Snake. He makes up for it with superior mobility, (I think) better frame data, and an actually pretty good recovery.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean, he can go "Well I saw people still kept asking for him so I reconsidered"
Well that's pretty much what he said.

“[Ridley’s] about four meters tall. Because of that, it was very hard to actually get him into the game in a working condition, but there was a lot of outcry from fans, especially overseas, so we decided to put him in.”

It was hard to tell given that I did For Fun, but he feels lighter than the other heavies. It felt like I was dying way earlier compared to Bowser, DK, or even Snake. He makes up for it with superior mobility, (I think) better frame data, and an actually pretty good recovery.
Thanks! He sounds like he's probably slightly heavier than Samus. Will be curious on final stats when the game is out.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I would advise people watch D1 play Ridley on Nakat's channel, he looks like the only competent gameplay of him we have.

And he looks bretty guuuddddd
I seen his gameplays. He's in the early stages of getting the hang of the character, definitely expect more in the future.

Suddenly just remembered when they were advertising Samus Returns and said that smash fans should pay attention when they were hinting at Proteus Ridley

MOTHER****ERS
:061:

StormC

Smash Hero
Suddenly just remembered when they were advertising Samus Returns and said that smash fans should pay attention when they were hinting at Proteus Ridley

MOTHER****ERS
:061:
Can you pull up the quote on that?

Miitomo is what actually gave me a good feeling. Like Nintendo was treating Ridley like a mascot.

Last edited:

Seanp12

Smash Journeyman
I haven't seen if anybody's checked Ridley's nickname on the Little Mac stage. It had better be Cunning God of Death, or we riot (but a nice riot, because it's enough that Ridley's there).

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
We have seen sakurai pull from other in development games in the past, if anyone could do it, he could. And im sure they could send him assets just like ubisoft did when they gave him that rayman trophy for the last game.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
One interesting point I've seen on his popularity is this, the evolution of the internet between games. After Melee YouTube wasn't even a thing yet so yea, but Brawl was 2008, so there was the beginning of youtube but YouTube personalities about videogames weren't anywhere like they are now. Then smash 4 happened and there were hundreds of videos about Ridley. This is a much more visible indicator to Nintendo that Ridley was huge talking point and could be a huge selling point.

It's an interesting thought, hope I explained it at least half as well as they did.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Anyone else looking forward to the Ridley mods?
Obviously there'll be the model swaps from the Metroid Prime games/Smash games, but then there will be the insane ones like putting Charizard or Waluigi's model over Ridley.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Anyone else looking forward to the Ridley mods?
Obviously there'll be the model swaps from the Metroid Prime games/Smash games, but then there will be the insane ones like putting Charizard or Waluigi's model over Ridley.
It's crazy the more you think about it. For the first time, Ridley's the one being modded over, not the other way around. We don't have to make our own Ridley to make it a reality.

That being said, I still want a Xenomorph mod to happen.

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
My personal thought is Ridley won the western smash ballot for Smash 4, or at least placed very highly on it. We know Bayoneta won the Europe ballet, but I dont recall them ever saying who won in the other regions. Ridley was not "realizable" in Smash 4 according to Sakurai at the time, but in this new game they seem to have taken his immense popularity into account. I honestly dont know who else could have made the top spot if not Ridley given the communities state at the time.

Graizen

Smash Champion
A question:

Do you think that with Ridley's entry, characters with more brutal appearances and attacks are more likely to enter Smash now? Like the case of some Mortal Kombat character?

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
A question:

Do you think that with Ridley's entry, characters with more brutal appearances and attacks are more likely to enter Smash now? Like the case of some Mortal Kombat character?
I have my doubts about it. I think Ridley will be the one to set the bar in terms of brutality. Besides, they'll probably try to go for as low as an E10-T rating and (unless they heavily modify the character like they did with Bayonetta) having a character from Mortal Kombat would probably bump up the rating.

StormC

Smash Hero
Have any of other Ridley's taunts been shown? I'm kinda paranoid (irrationally so?) that characters are back to one taunt again.

D

Deleted member

Have any of other Ridley's taunts been shown? I'm kinda paranoid (irrationally so?) that characters are back to one taunt again.
Characters still have 3 taunts (Mario has the thumbs up, Cappy toss, and OG death animation for example) but I couldn't tell you what Ridley's are besides "I'mma stand up straight and look real menacing".

Last edited by a moderator:

Keeshu

Smash Ace
First taunt : Ridley stands up. Simple taunt but I like it for 2 reasons. Shows that he is actually intelligent. Secondly it's a nod to the whole "Too Big" argument since he looks a bit bigger that way. They show it in both of his trailers.
Second taunt: Flaps his wings and roars. Tthis one I see used more often than the others. I don't blame people for liking this one, it fits Ridley. This one is shown in the direct's trailer. At the very start of the gameplay segment.
Third Taunt: Claws at the air a couple times. I saw it once and forgot about it so I can't be more specific than that sadly. I want to see it again.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You get a much better look at what Ridley is digging into in his victory animation at the end of this video

Skyline1992

Smash Apprentice
Its been 3 years since the last time I logged onto this site and I know its a little late, but congrats on Ridley finally being a playable character.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
You get a much better look at what Ridley is digging into in his victory animation at the end of this video

So pretty much just diggin' the ground...or maybe trying to hide the trace of the corpse he just had buried. :>

UserKev

Smash Champion
A question:

No. Ridley already perfectly represents it alone and him being the only actual brutal type character is brilliant.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Problem is I can't really think of any Nintendo characters that would be good to be brutal the way Ridley is. If third parties were a thing then I could see a few people. Though I can't think of any that would be significant enough to add into smash. So I'm 100% fine with Ridley being unique in his ferocity and brutality.

Top Bottom