• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lower Norfair

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
It's also slow and needs to be spaced properly. Thankfully it's not Warlock Punch kind of slow, but you still have time to move out of the way.
Allegedly the move comes out on frame 29.
A half second to react to it or you are toast. Kind of long start up but the reward is immensely high. Kind of hard to land but the sweetspot hitbox is allegedly the size of the blade, which is pretty decent. The tricky part is the opponent staying in the position for half of a second is going to be tricky: you'll have to read or get a shieldbreak to land it. The endlag on this move is kinda high too, so you'll get punished by faster characters for trying it.
This move might be really useful against bigger characters like bowser and DK where it's harder for them to avoid the sweetspot due to their hurtboxes. Donkey kong in particular always wants to go in for the grab, and it would be really risky.
I don't know if Ridley has any moves to break shields, but if he did this would be a free kill off of a shield break for sure.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Allegedly the move comes out on frame 29.
A half second to react to it or you are toast. Kind of long start up but the reward is immensely high. Kind of hard to land but the sweetspot hitbox is allegedly the size of the blade, which is pretty decent. The tricky part is the opponent staying in the position for half of a second is going to be tricky: you'll have to read or get a shieldbreak to land it. The endlag on this move is kinda high too, so you'll get punished by faster characters for trying it.
This move might be really useful against bigger characters like bowser and DK where it's harder for them to avoid the sweetspot due to their hurtboxes. Donkey kong in particular always wants to go in for the grab, and it would be really risky.
I don't know if Ridley has any moves to break shields, but if he did this would be a free kill off of a shield break for sure.
There's also another thing to consider: what are the priorities on the hitboxes? It the sweetspot at the top or bottom? Depending on its ID, it might actually be harder to hit the bigger characters with the sweetspot as other hitboxes will also hit them, resulting in the sweetspot not registering.
And then there are new perfect shield mechanics, which might make it viable only for punishing the opponent's slow attacks.

Last edited:

StrangeMann

Smash Ace
There's also another thing to consider: what are the priorities on the hitboxes? It the sweetspot at the top or bottom? Depending on its ID, it might actually be harder to hit the bigger characters with the sweetspot as other hitboxes will also hit them, resulting in the sweetspot not registering.
And then there are new perfect shield mechanics, which might make it viable only for punishing the opponent's slow attacks.
I don't know if there's any footage testing this or not from E3, which is unfortunate.
However Ridley does have a ganoncide, a good nair/bair/fair, side b is good stage control, and his recovery is pretty ok. Fireballs do pretty good dmg but take a while to charge, and the weak spot mechanic makes it not useful in certain matchups
I definately see some of this character's strengths and weaknesses:
Weak to being camped out by longer range fighters, and combo food for some fighters
But brutally strong to short/mid range combatants and a pretty good aerial game (although aerial mobility is a bit low, disjoint on Bair and fair is pretty good and nair is a pretty big hitbox too)

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I can see 3 things for the tail on shield. It does a LOT of damage to the point of breaking it, it requires a perfect shield to block as it still crumples or it does nothing. Luckily Ridley's command grab can be an answer to shields and should his throws have combos or kill potential those could work too

AuraWielder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AuraWielder
3DS FC
2363-6821-1127
You're wrong, but nobody's perfect.

Really hope Lower Norfair is in the game as a song. It's probably my favorite Metroid track... that or Phendrana Drifts, of course.

Real talk, I've always wanted Phendrana Drifts as some sort of stage in Smash. That place was always gorgeous.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
That makes sense, but then why not use red color instead of blue to match that statue's eye color?

I don't see how that makes sense either. He's much brighter in Brawl, but here, he's almost black.
Yeah not entirely sure. But otherwise I think this is the most likely explanation. As for the last color, yeah no idea, that's just what people have said. Just seems like another color.

Yeah, that makes sense, that color doesn't really seem to represent anything. Well, there goes the theory Meta Ridley is getting 7 additional recolors.
Apparently they took away some of Mac's Wireframe alts. Maybe Ridley just gets 8 colors plus 1 Meta alt? I think that's fine enough.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I had a horrible idea for an event match; You play as Ridley, fighting against Samus and two other fighters acting as standins for her parents (Maybe Snake and Rosalina). To win, you have to kill everyone except Samus.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I had a horrible idea for an event match; You play as Ridley, fighting against Samus and two other fighters acting as standins for her parents (Maybe Snake and Rosalina). To win, you have to kill everyone except Samus.
That, but you also have to make sure that Samus sees the killing blow being dealt to both characters

It looks like Ridley is also covering his mouth so nobody would hear him scream even if the super fighting robot doesn't really do that.

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Has anyone seen footage of Ridley's down special when used in the air?
I'd like to see that too.

Unfortunately for Red, Ridley is a fan of the Nuzlocke challenge.
This made me laugh more than it should have :rotfl:

I love how Ridley actually has facial expressions and a personality in this game. I was afraid Sakurai would make him be a mindless monster, but that's thankfully not the case at all.
That was exactly my fear, but I'm so relieved and happy right now :grin:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
I had to go back and watch the trailer at the lowest playback speed and got this

887AB4E8-9FA0-4352-A398-FBDCAFFE65BA.png
The true face of fear

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
>_> I guess you knew beforehand I wouldn't aprove of the idea (Get someone else, not Rosa :<).

SuperMasterHand

Smash Journeyman
They must do an event where Ridley has a Giant Mushroom and you have to pick Samus, they have to ! (Stamina maybe ?)

D

Deleted member

This has been a long time coming. Ridley fans congratulations. Ridley is finally where he belongs, representating Metroid and tearing characters. Apart in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

It finally happened it finally was done. Ridley is where he belongs among Nintendo's elite in Super Smash Bros.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Not bad. I also like the idea of Ridley hunting down the bounty hunters (Samus and Captain Falcon).

AndreaAC

Just found this and wanted to share it. The Ridley reveal trailer, 8-bit edition!
XD The idea of using that sprite for Ridley made it even more hilarious! The moment of the splash screen he's like "YAAAAAAY!" looking happy as heck!

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I have no fond memories of Pyrosphere, but if they did bring it back for whatever reason;
When Ridley joins the battle, Kraid is in charge of the boss fight.

He looks kinda adorable with those stubby little arms

Speaking of NES Ridley, this is a thing.
View attachment 148522
That's from that one Metroid hack that replaced all the characters with their modern styles?
Wonder if any other games have had similar "demakes" done for them.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
I have no fond memories of Pyrosphere, but if they did bring it back for whatever reason;
When Ridley joins the battle, Kraid is in charge of the boss fight.
Ah, Alfonzo memes. Those were weird times, but those were also Ridley-less times, so...?
That's from that one Metroid hack that replaced all the characters with their modern styles?
Wonder if any other games have had similar "demakes" done for them.
Yes. It also had a map.
I'd like to know that too.
Speaking of Kraid, I hope Brinstar Depths is brought back in Ultimate.
That would be great. Just seeing Kraid in HD on its own would be awesome. Too bad that stage kinda sucks with its lack of ledges.

Last edited:

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
I'm pretty sure every single stage is coming back (except maybe like Zebes cuz Depths and Sector Z cuz Corneria). We already have like 80-90% of them confirmed.

StormC

Smash Hero
Ridley in Brinstar Depths would be funny as he and Kraid have never actually met in the games.

AndreaAC

Ridley in Brinstar Depths would be funny as he and Kraid have never actually met in the games.
Now I can't unsee the moment when Ridley and Kraid meet after SO LONG. Kraid would wave his claw and let out a "Hiiiii!" sounding ridiculously similar to Kirby, meanwhile Rids would be thinking "This is awkward."

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Now I can't unsee the moment when Ridley and Kraid meet after SO LONG. Kraid would wave his claw and let out a "Hiiiii!" sounding ridiculously similar to Kirby, meanwhile Rids would be thinking "This is awkward."
Add in Assist Trophy Mother Brain, and we can finally have the Space Pirate trio together.

OmegaX5000

Smash Journeyman
If they do wind up bringing back every past stage, how do you think they'll handle the Pyrosphere? Do you think it'll still have Roidley, even with playable Ridley on the field?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
a.) We did it guys!!!!! Just one pirate leading reptile left.
b.) Ridley is super fun to play as

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Last edited:
Top Bottom