• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Low Tiers 4 Life!!!

superderob

Smash Rookie
Link to original post: [drupal=5130]Low Tiers 4 Life!!![/drupal]

Hello i go by DEROB, for any one reading this i will mainly talk about the low tier role in all Smash games whether it be in 64, Melee, or Brawl. Here goes! Low Tiers are what i like to call, "the FUN of the game" dont get me wrong i love many things about the game as a whole, but some how i feel that it is SO unfair for all the low tiers out there! anyway you know that GREAT feeling you get when you see a low tier character in a tourney match, any some people automatically think, "i hope he wins" what is that!? that feeling IS rooting for the underdog, BUT it is also one of the foundations of why we truly play smash; the mystical feeling of "i love what i am doing, and the fun may never end", <--- from what i have just stated your probly thinking " so this is why DEROB plays smash", you would be somewhat right LOL but! there is also a shallow empty side to smash; many have argued to believe that: "High Tiers are for winning, Low Tiers are for fun", this tragically is partially true, because many of us that play low tier characters Professionally or seriously to get rankings in Tournaments all have a feeling of, "Maybe i should switch my character, i will be better...." DONT DO IT! if your playing to win than i suppose your goal would be to become "GOOD" i dont mean "wave-shine--infinite" good i mean "Mew2King/Mango" good, and if that is truly the case than for all means do what you need to "win", you should work on getting BETTER, than just flip flopping characters. As for my low tier mains out there; if you (even a little) have that drive, passionate, mystical,fun, burning, Low Tier, underdog feeling than PLEASE dont give up, that whole crowd is for YOU, no matter who you are or what Low Tier character you play with, someone is looking over your shoulder saying to them self "i hope he wins." ----LOW TIERS 4 LIFE!!! THANK YOU-my name is DEROB.

DTK.L

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2036-9101-4904
The inspiration is there for sure. Your heart is in the right place being committed to your character. I used ike even back when he was low tier. i would go in with ike only in every offline tourney i've been to i've won 1 and placed in the others and when i lose sometimes i consider a change of character but all my friends tell me i have a really good ike it's just the sinking feeling that everyone gets when evaluating their own style after a loss, It's just doubt, overcoming it is as easy as lifting yourself up.

Like i said your heart is in the right place for your love for low tiers but what if maining metaknight is an enjoyment to someone i couldn't careless for the tier list if you enjoy the game,the tournaments, the excitement, why should the character matter?

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I play Kirby. Winning 1st as a Kirby main would be pretty damn cool, if, of course, I was skilled enough.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
You'd pick marth. I can easily tell.

I'd stay as Kirby though. It's the only character I play real well with.
Not to mention my most favorite Nintendo character.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I main Zelda if that helps any....

But I haven't been to a tournament in ages but, that is because there are a lack of them where I live : /

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You'd pick marth. I can easily tell.

I'd stay as Kirby though. It's the only character I play real well with.
Not to mention my most favorite Nintendo character.
Very very true. If only I wasn't so naive to drop Marth cause his sword was shorter than it was in melee, now I just play Marth on the side and for the MK MU since my crap Marth does better than Ike at least vs MK

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I subconsciously seem to gravitate to good characters.

Young Link I knew was bad but it didn't matter because Young Link is my hero.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I mean really, I'm pretty tired of people only using high tiers more not because they "like the character", they're using them to win money more often.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I mean really, I'm pretty tired of people only using high tiers more not because they "like the character", they're using them to win money more often.
Well I wouldn't say that it's the money they want, they just want to win tournaments but that can be very hard to do with a low tier. Especially when playing with high level players using a high tier...

superderob

Smash Rookie
WOW so many replies, i didn't think anyone would see this...but anyway, the main idea i was going for was "what goals do you have for the competitive seen?" and "are you willing to dedicate time and effort into Low tiers that 'may not be worth it'? (a character may feel as if its holding you back, but really, your MENTALITY is holding you back) imo

Spyro

Smash Ace
For 64, You can pretty much win tournaments with any character. Examples: Isai got 2ct with only Link (the 2ct to worst character in the game) at Apex 2012, Jousuke won a big Japanese tournament using only Samus (the worst character in the game) a while back.

For Melee, you can place really high at a national tourament with mid tiers (I consider doc - dk to be mid tier), but you will proable never be able to win a national tournament. You can make past pools and a couple rounds of brackets with low tiers at national tournament but I've never heard about any one getting further than that with a low tier.

For Brawl, It's the most poorly balanced of the bunch and your chances to even make it out of pools at a national with a low tier are slim to none.

:phone:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Isn't it more fun to find a character that suits your style, for better or for worse, than to deliberately pick an awful character?

I picked up Wario because I love the WarioWare series, not because I initially thought he was a bad character (and I did).

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
i just picked my favorite character from nintendo before i got into smash
ya zelda fanboy :3

Top Bottom