• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Losing smash players to League of Legends

Nexus| Taka

Fraudulent Doc Main
Over the past couple of years, I've noticed more melee players being lost to league... Why is this, why can't people just play both?

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
In my region, most players do indeed play both. I honestly can not see the appeal of League of Legends, though.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Over the past couple of years, I've noticed more melee players being lost to league... Why is this, why can't people just play both?
It's simple really. They lost interest in Melee (or Smash in general), and decided to move on to LoL (or whatever game currently has their interest).

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Focusing on two games is going to divide your time and possibly cripple your ability to play. I love Melee but I can see someone going for something new. Being able to play a game with constant support and also money is a big thing for some.

I'm not a League person though (never played). FGs satisfy all the competition I need.

ViviLion

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2552-3224-2888
i'm a league of legends person that has come to smash

i'll go 2 or 3 weeks playing 1 at a time though

finalark

SNORLAX
I tried getting into MOBAs, but they just aren't for me. I did learn that they're very time consuming, though. So that might have something to do with it.

Then again, I have a friend who played both Melee and LoL avidly, so there are some people who can do both.

[S0M4] Ghostwriter

Smash Rookie
Strange, I played my first tournament in Roanoke, VA this week and there were a good three or four people that asked me if I played LoL. Didn't realize the switch was a thing.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I played LoL under commitment twice, shortly dropped off after a few weeks. At this point, I'll just casually play it if another friend who's into it is around.

The game's just a split-second cluster**** of so many different factors and meta I'm not used to. If I wanted to git gud, I'd have to spend hours learning to calibrate my playstyle. Also, I never felt welcome by any LoL player I've ever met. Being the noob I am, every death carries the anxiety of upsetting my teammates (especially up to 3 early game) or people will just be ***** about something I might be doing differently or wrong and completely confuse and fluster me.

With Smash Bros., I feel in love with the characters and could naturally learn the game through playing for fun without some bellicose buttmonkey having me by an electric leash, yanking my collar every time I ****ed up. Even with the competitive scene, I only met one bad player in my entire time. My experience with Smash players have been nothing but welcoming and holistic.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Also, I never felt welcome by any LoL player I've ever met.
Pretty much this. I don't know why, but MOBA players are some of the most unpleasant people I have ever met. There's a reason why the genre coined the term "toxic community."

I've been into MMORPGs and fighting games for a really, really long time. So I've seen my fair share of experienced players who will bash you for being new to the game in both a cooperative and competitive environment. But never before have I seen hostility of that nature taken up to the levels that MOBA fans take it to.

EarthCrash

Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart
Pretty much this. I don't know why, but MOBA players are some of the most unpleasant people I have ever met. There's a reason why the genre coined the term "toxic community."

I've been into MMORPGs and fighting games for a really, really long time. So I've seen my fair share of experienced players who will bash you for being new to the game in both a cooperative and competitive environment. But never before have I seen hostility of that nature taken up to the levels that MOBA fans take it to.
Try Counter Strike, Quake Live or even Team Fortress 2 fans.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter

The reason is because it's so team-focused. If you mess up, it drags the four other people you're playing with down, so that naturally brings out their bad side.

finalark

SNORLAX
The reason is because it's so team-focused. If you mess up, it drags the four other people you're playing with down, so that naturally brings out their bad side.
MMORPGs are the same way, and I've seen similar levels of animosity at high levels of play. But at least in MMORPGs if you're a lowbie most people won't chastise you for not really knowing what you're doing.

For example, I've been playing on a fan server for classic (2004-2006) WoW, which is significantly more team oriented than modern WoW is. I was doing a dungeon and our tank kept on screwing up and letting me and other DPS classes pull aggro. Our healer (who's main was a tank) informed him that he should be using a specific ability to hold aggro. The tank thanked him for the tip and we finished the dungeon with no other incident.

If that same scenario had happened in a MOBA, even if it was obvious the player in question was new to the character they were playing, it would not have gone down as smoothly.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion

Granted, I'm casting huge generalizations on the LoL community. But I'm only drawing these conclusions from my own experience. With the FGC, almost all players who participate in tourneys are so socially-aware that they wouldn't dare bring down a venue by insulting others, ostracizing learning players, etc. And I'm sure there are elitists and elites in that bunch too. But if you were to pull any of the childish **** online games harness safely at a tourney, you'd be kicked from the venue, shamed by the group, be subject to an IRL hardbodying, etc.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
MMORPGs are the same way, and I've seen similar levels of animosity at high levels of play. But at least in MMORPGs if you're a lowbie most people won't chastise you for not really knowing what you're doing.

For example, I've been playing on a fan server for classic (2004-2006) WoW, which is significantly more team oriented than modern WoW is. I was doing a dungeon and our tank kept on screwing up and letting me and other DPS classes pull aggro. Our healer (who's main was a tank) informed him that he should be using a specific ability to hold aggro. The tank thanked him for the tip and we finished the dungeon with no other incident.

If that same scenario had happened in a MOBA, even if it was obvious the player in question was new to the character they were playing, it would not have gone down as smoothly.
That's partly because squeakers don't play classic WoW as much as LoL and such a specific server type would probably not attract new players 24/7. In addition, everyone can be more helpful to everyone else and be more knowledgeable about a game that hasn't changed in 10 years as opposed to a game that has changed in the past week.

finalark

SNORLAX
That's partly because squeakers don't play classic WoW as much as LoL and such a specific server type would probably not attract new players 24/7. In addition, everyone can be more helpful to everyone else and be more knowledgeable about a game that hasn't changed in 10 years as opposed to a game that has changed in the past week.
People were generally helpful and positive in classic WoW even back when it was live and still new. I also played Lord of the Rings Online, FFXIV and several others at launch and got the same experience.

You can't really justify the MOBA community's behavior. It's like the worst part of the internet concentrated into a single genre.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Granted, I'm casting huge generalizations on the LoL community. But I'm only drawing these conclusions from my own experience. With the FGC, almost all players who participate in tourneys are so socially-aware that they wouldn't dare bring down a venue by insulting others, ostracizing learning players, etc. And I'm sure there are elitists and elites in that bunch too. But if you were to pull any of the childish **** online games harness safely at a tourney, you'd be kicked from the venue, shamed by the group, be subject to an IRL hardbodying, etc.
It's not that the FGC is innately nicer, because many FCG people are toxic when they play MOBAs, or are just toxic on the net. It's that fighting games generally don't catalyse toxicity as much as MOBAs do.

That's because fighting games for the most part aren't team-oriented. In a MOBA, your mistakes hinder 4 other people. A lot of people become frustrated that they just spent 40 or so minutes to lose ranked points because of other people's bad play. Also too in a fighting game you get to play whoever you want, because handicapping yourself competively by picking worse characters isn't looked down upon, but rather admired. Whereas in MOBAs,the etiquette is to pick the characters that are best for the team, so often people will be forced to play roles or characters that they don't want, which is the source of a lot of toxicity and trolling.

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Its harder to meet up to play in person than it is to turn on your computer and play with friends online.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Its harder to meet up to play in person than it is to turn on your computer and play with friends online.
I agree that this might be a factor. There is netplay, but if you or your friend are a significant distance away or one of you are on a slightly bad internet connection, it's on the verge of unplayable. Additionally, lower graphics settings can help boost the frame rate in League and it skips frames in order to keep up rather than slowing the game down, as opposed to Melee where if you have a computer that isn't suited for the game, it slows down a lot.

Also, netplay is hard to set up when you first get it and the adapter is REALLY hard to set up if you have Windows 8 or above.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
^This. I prefer smash, but it's so hard to arrange things and go meet up when I want to play, and since the smash community where I'm at has a good amount of people and tons of new players, its hard to get good practice and test things like follow up options and test different types of DI on various moves because there's often 5+ people per setup wanting to play teams. (or complaining about something) I find it easier to improve on League honestly because the play environment is online, (don't have to go anywhere to set it up, just turn on the PC) and a lot of the people I actually play with nowadays are more available than my friends IRL.

I play both games, but it's really hard to play 2 different games with a competitive mindset at once and pay the bills and get everything done in life.

Top Bottom