• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Losing all hope for Ike

chaos_Leader

Smash Lord
I've actually had a ton of fun playing Ike.

The few Ikes I've faced online so far have been, to be frank, pretty underwhelming, and I think a lot of players online have had similar experience vs. Ike. So oftentimes I find when I start a game with Ike, I'm pretty sure my opponent is thinking "Great, another Ike-tard. this'll be easy" since they so often seem to underestimate Ike, even if they're a good player otherwise. Then when they start getting the snot knocked out of them by my Ike, they then seem to have a "holy crap!" moment or two, and then spend much of the match going well out of their way to get out of Ike's way. At least that's been my experience so far.

Beninator

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GhotiH
3DS FC
1461-6196-0520
You say Eruption is useless? Well, I dunno how it works in 4, but at least in Brawl, it had superarmor, and could be used as a combo breaker sometimes. It's situational as far as I can tell, but not useless.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
Ike`s Eruption seems very good to me actually it has more range than in brawl. I have gotten quite a few kills from it. It does a lot of damage and has a good amount of knock back even when barely charged. He does have quite a few disadvantages like you say, but I think he is better off than brawl especially since you can't edge hog him to death now, also you can't make him fall by blocking his quickdraw now he will be able to act out of it.

Last edited:

Brendon

Smash Rookie
Hi, Not an amazing smash player but i'm alright,

also forgive me if im repeating someone,

Ikes eruption is good when someone is off the stage. The hitbox is quite large, so if you use it right at the edge of the stage you're going to either

1.) stop them from getting the edge

2.) if the opponent has low air and is falling at you, with proper timing you can keep them away/kill them

Ikes actually really good, just hard to play. sorry if my explanation is poor, if you don't understand i'll try to explain better.

also ike has a lot of knock down abilities, and timing them with your side b can be lethal. it has a short charge and can do damage to enemies on the ground + if they're on the ground it knocks them in the air so you can preform air combos.

edit: also, although this may be pointing out the obvious, if you're air fighting someone off the stage and they grab the stage before you do, you can use your Up b and it'll meteor them . Its not super hard to pull off but requires quick reaction timing.

Last edited:

AAM

Smash Rookie
You almost have an advantage with Ike if you're well-paced because your opponent expects you to be extra slow.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
After playing 400 matches I think I can say I find Ike to be really bad. I will start explaining.
  • No good meteor/off stage attacks. Yes I guess one can say Fair is a good off stage attack but I find it to be really lacking. I have had 60+ instances when I knocked someone off the stage with a well timed Fair at 130% and they survived. Dair feels extremely weird to use off stage and I can rarely find myself spiking them with this move. I have only had 6 matches where I actualy spiked someone with it.
  • Defenseless vs zoning types characters. After facing loads of villagers,Mega men,Sheiks,Zero suits and dark pits ALL my matches against them were extremely tedious. I think others can say the same.
  • Eruption. What kind of use is there to this move? I find it to be one of the worst specials in the game unless proven wrong.
  • Other characters do Ike's job better. Characters like Bowser and other heavy weights tend to do Ike's job alot more better due to their more consistent kill rates and actual decent off stage tools.
I really like Ike's character + the way he plays but he just gets his but kicked by alot of members from the cast and it's so frustrating. Hope someone can come and prove me wrong.
Maybe you're just not very good with Ike. Switch up your approach or find a character that better suits your playstyle. It has nothing to do with what you prefer, it has to do with what you are actually good with. I find him to be pretty good right now especially after this most recent patch. Bowser plays nothing like Ike. Ike's Fair and Nair are great for short hops which allow you to jab combo or grab right after. Between those 2 moves you cna approach well and control space pretty well. On top of that his range is ridiculous compared to Bowser. It's also very easy to edge guard with him because all you need are the following:
If they are low, walk off fair
If they are high, jump off fair
If they are trying to be tricky, charge up you're B and time it so you hit them right as they grab the edge or hold it longer because if they try to jump over you they're dead.

He doesn't really need any big KO moves off the stage but he can KO you from the stage pretty easily. The range on his fair is also very large which makes it a lot easier to hit with when edge guarding than something like Megaman's bair.

I think you should watch some more videos of good players or just try different moves. You might even just need a break and some time to experiment with other characters to learn what other players to do beat you.

EDIT: Yes Ike and Shulk are very similar because they are long ranged hard hitters, but Ike hit's harder with all parts of his sword while Shulk only hits hard with the base or if using his Arts. I also dislike the arch on Shulk's fsmash compared to Ikes because Ike's covers more area making it harder to avoid. Also Ike's nair starts above him while Shulk's starts below him. The Arts have cooldown timers between uses which hinders Shulk's ability to switch it up on the fly while Ike can rack up damage and ko people consistently all game. Shulk also receives negative stats when boosting his own, so that is another drawback to the Arts vs the raw power and defense of Ike. They both are weak to zoners though, that is usually the flaw with the heahvyweights in most fighting games.

Last edited:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Indeed it has. Managed to score up consecutive ten win streaks a lot now. Eruption is Ike's best edge guard move now no doubt.
It was pre-patch for sure. I think Ike was still decent and MUCH better than he was in Brawl as it was, but this just makes him awesome.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
It was pre-patch for sure. I think Ike was still decent and MUCH better than he was in Brawl as it was, but this just makes him awesome.
I honestly think that Ike's dtilt change was his best one. With the right spacing near a edge you can easily spike someone with a Dtilt into aether combo. However his Ftilt I still find kinda lacking.

Zenpie

Smash Rookie
NNID
Zenpie
Switch FC
SW 2173-5465-7616
I thought he was crap in the 3DS version but I find him amazing on the WiiU.
"You'll get no sympathy from me."

aba1

Smash Apprentice
I am not sure if this is still in the WiiU version cause I don't own it for myself quite yet but I know in brawl Ike could crouching down A on the edge and it would spike people trying to ledge grab which is a great edge game tactic.

Yoh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yoh_Zephyr
Nah, downTilt lost its spike property in exchange for speed and being a combo starter.
You can use it as an edgeguard tool, it just works different.

aba1

Smash Apprentice
Nah, downTilt lost its spike property in exchange for speed and being a combo starter.
You can use it as an edgeguard tool, it just works different.
Ahhh thats disappointing but its good to know, thanks!

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Ike might be the ultimate mind game character. He has one of the hardest punishes on roll behind in the game (dat fsmash kill at 70% is just too juicy). He can also chase down opponents who are rolling away with quickdraw. His jab string is a thing of beauty for keeping out the quick characters like Sheik and Diddy. And he actually has some follow ups from his throws.

I must say, if anything, I'm gaining hope for Ike.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
His jab is godly. His f-air annoys me though. The hitboxes starts so late so when theres a guy right above you, you can't hit then even though you can see the sword go through them. However, if you got him off stage.... Ken combos for days

Last edited:

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
As a guy who just picked up Ike today and started to lose some hope, this thread kinda made me want to get back to using Ike.
What's the best way for you guys to learn his spacing?
I end up getting too impatient and just go in headstrong with out thinking and I think that's why I've been losing so much.
Any tips?

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
He's not bad at all. I mained Ike in Brawl at one point and I can say he's way better than his puny Brawl counterpart.

I definitely prefer using Ike over all the other FE characters.

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134
Eh I think it could still help anyone who's feeling unsure about ike. The title definitely caught my attention because i was feeling the same way.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
It's a misconception from Brawl that Ike is easy to use or for low level play. It requires good spacing and some knowledge to beat out opponents in this game, same as Brawl.
I think Miyamoto Musashi being your avatar made this post better.

I don't have to many pro tips for Ike but i can point out a few things.
The best place to fight with Ike is center stage. If Ike can control The middle of what ever stage he is on he will be hard to kill. Be risky but not to risky. .

Last edited:

Dinotard

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Onehardtard
3DS FC
2766-8060-2134

The best place to fight with Ike is center stage. If Ike can control The middle of what ever stage he is on he will be hard to kill. Be risky but not too risky. .
I can see how that would work. I just have trouble with zoners because they love staying on the edge.

EvilShadow777

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1177-8767-4539

The best place to fight with Ike is center stage. If Ike can control The middle of what ever stage he is on he will be hard to kill. Be risky but not to risky. .
Ike can control center stage pretty well, but considering how deep his recovery let's you go and how punishing and easy to space his aerials are I wouldn't resort to that unless I'm against a dangerous edge hog or at a high % (around 110+). Ike is very dangerous around the edge when played well. Fair and bair when placed well are great finishers in a king of the hill fight for the edge, and you also have other strong options.

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Zoners have some issues when you corner them at the edge. They have to make a somewhat risky play to get past you. Zoners also have trouble killing and have to play riskier when behind.

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I may have said this earlier but Ike is super effective at finishing someone off stage with an F-air. I killed a Lucina today at 64% with a simple F-air.

After a nice solid hit, run at them with a well placed dash attack, followed by a jump -> F-air. Wait till the poor fool comes back, the finish it with another F-air. If you can't connect, keep pressure with a N-air instead of the final F-air.

People don't expect Ike to be able to keep pressure the way he does. It's one of Ike's greatest strengths believe it or not... much more than he was able to in Brawl.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Huh? Ike lives off of spacing and reads. Spacing nairs and fairs is like 80 percent of my game. Both Ftilt and Dtilt are relatively safe at the ranges they should be used and being able to dash pivot ftilt is a huge boon for Ike.
I've been trying pivot FTilt lately. People who roll constantly are going to hate me now.

I'm trying to get better at clipping a ledge once someone else grabs it, forcing them off into a Bair at 80% for a kill.

Also, what's the very best way to build up damage quickly? I'm tired of having a stock lead on someone and they get me up to 80% in 10 seconds from a combo, yet it takes me a minute to do that.

Last edited:

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
I like to spin on the ground and back flip into a b-air. His b-air is so powerful. And I only ever jump once off the stage to edge guard. To much greed will get you killed.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
People are going to roll behind you more often than roll away for two reasons: 1. Quickdraw cannot catch them rolling behind you. 2. Laggy moves can be punished easier if they are behind you rather than at midscreen.

But this works against them if you always cover roll behind by d-tilting/jabbing to bait their roll and catch them going behind you with grab/f-tilt/bair.

Top Bottom