• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lord of the Rings Online

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Tbh I'm just mad that I spent about 10 hours downloading this and then another 2 days trying to figure out why I couldn't run it to just get bored of it in the first 5 minutes :ohwell:

finalark

SNORLAX
MMOs aren't for everyone. Especially people with short attention spans. And honestly, I'll admit that the opening tutorial is pretty dry though.

And as boredone said, free is free.

EDIT: I love MMOs, so I have a pretty high amount of tolerance for a lot of their quirks. If LOTRO isn't your thing I suggest Dungeons and Dragons Online which easily side steps many of the problems MMOs have and provides a focus on dungeon crawling and teamwork rather than hunting for twenty bear *****.

Although from the sound of it you'll probably get bored during the tutorial :ohwell:

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
MMOs aren't for everyone. Especially people with short attention spans. And honestly, I'll admit that the opening tutorial is pretty dry though.

And as boredone said, free is free.

EDIT: I love MMOs, so I have a pretty high amount of tolerance for a lot of their quirks. If LOTRO isn't your thing I suggest Dungeons and Dragons Online which easily side steps many of the problems MMOs have and provides a focus on dungeon crawling and teamwork rather than hunting for twenty bear *****.

Although from the sound of it you'll probably get bored during the tutorial :ohwell:
Well I got to this part where this guy was on a horse and he got ****ed by this other guy and then they started sending me off to do talk to people and I was like wtf when is the good part coming then I just gave up because as I saw it looks a lot more like reading than playing. I mean I'm up for a good book, but I honestly can't stand to read walls of texts in a game.

That, and they started using a bunch of medieval-like words that I didn't get like sending me off to the kingdom of whatever to talk to the fairy elf person who has the weirdest name in the world I can't remember so I said **** it

EDIT:

Could be that I never watched the LOTR movies or read the books so I probably don't understand what they're talking about because of that. Or could be that I honestly never liked RPGs and the such so at least I gave this one a fair chance right

finalark

SNORLAX
Well I got to this part where this guy was on a horse and he got ****ed by this other guy and then they started sending me off to do talk to people and I was like wtf when is the good part coming then I just gave up because as I saw it looks a lot more like reading than playing. I mean I'm up for a good book, but I honestly can't stand to read walls of texts in a game.
You didn't even get out of the tutorial area? :glare:

Well, you don't have to read the walls of text. After you accept a quest you can open your quest panel which will have a rather brief version of what you're supposed to be doing and why.

That, and they started using a bunch of medieval-like words that I didn't get like sending me off to the kingdom of whatever to talk to the fairy elf person who has the weirdest name in the world I can't remember so I said **** it
You obviously had no idea what you were in for when you decided to play a Lord of the Rings game :awesome:

But really, all you have to do when they say "Go talk to this person" is look on your map for a ring symbol, go to it, then talk to the person with the red glowing ring above their head.

You're not very good at this MMORPG thing. :ohwell:

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
You didn't even get out of the tutorial area? :glare:

Well, you don't have to read the walls of text. After you accept a quest you can open your quest panel which will have a rather brief version of what you're supposed to be doing and why.
I did those short elf people started telling me to talk to this guy who was half dead or something afterwards >_>

You obviously had no idea what you were in for when you decided to play a Lord of the Rings game :awesome:

But really, all you have to do when they say "Go talk to this person" is look on your map for a ring symbol, go to it, then talk to the person with the red glowing ring above their head.

You're not very good at this MMORPG thing. :ohwell:
Yeah I'm not I thought it'd be exciting like on South Park when I started playing but eh

I'll probably give it another try later and see what happens

finalark

SNORLAX
I did those short elf people started telling me to talk to this guy who was half dead or something afterwards >_>
Short Elf people...? You mean Hobbits? Have you ever even seen/read Lord of the Rings?

Yeah I'm not I thought it'd be exciting like on South Park when I started playing but eh
Well that's what you get for basing your expectations off of South Park of all things.

I mean honestly, that's like me saying that I was disappointed that The Passion of the Christ wasn't an action flick because of expectations raised by Family Guy.

I'll probably give it another try later and see what happens
Well its really not that hard to figure out. Then again, I've played so many MMOs that I usually can skip tutorials and be just fine.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Short Elf people...? You mean Hobbits? Have you ever even seen/read Lord of the Rings?
Besides the first movie like 6 years ago, nope

Well that's what you get for basing your expectations off of South Park of all things.

I mean honestly, that's like me saying that I was disappointed that The Passion of the Christ wasn't an action flick because of expectations raised by Family Guy.
Nah man that's the sequel :p

I honestly expected some more action this though lol

finalark

SNORLAX
Besides the first movie like 6 years ago, nope
Well, that explains why you have no idea whats going on then.

I honestly expected some more action this though lol
Don't expect much action until you get past the rather boring tutorial area and start doing dungeons and later quests.

And its worth mentioning that the excitement of an MMO comes from interacting with the community and doing quests and dungeons with your friends. The wonderful community that FFXI has is the only thing that kept me playing for three months despite the game itself being **** and the month that Cataclysm came out one of my best friends and I had the time of our lives leveling new characters from 1-60 together.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
this is terrible. Can't sleep and no internet at the hotel to keep me occupied if I wanna play lotro. Have to pay 10 bucks

:phone:

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
So I posted this earlier, but would any of you guys be interested in starting a Smashboards lotro night or something? We could all hop on the same server and create new accounts that we would use just for playing with each other, I think it would be kinda fun.

finalark

SNORLAX
So I posted this earlier, but would any of you guys be interested in starting a Smashboards lotro night or something? We could all hop on the same server and create new accounts that we would use just for playing with each other, I think it would be kinda fun.
On said server we could forum a SWF kinship. However, I don't think that many here play.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Since apparently the fun of this game is doing stuff with friends, sure why not I'd be interested in doing a server for swf

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
We could def form a kinship down the road, but like you said not many play here. If we keep this topic updated though, people might take a peek and play.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'd be up for it. So would that mean we'd all have to be the same race? I haven't played any other races, and my only character is a Elf-Hunter. I know you also have to choose "where you're from", so does that matter also?

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
@theboredone:

no. you can be any race or class you desire. the purpose of a kinship is to help one another to quest and increase your profession level. i remember you said you played wow, right? kinship = guild...

id be up for a swf kinship...

@lonejedi: you should change the title of the thread to "Lord of the Rings Online - Starting a SWF kinship - new players welcome" or something like that...

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ugh yeah, I screwed up in my profession thing and the only way I'm gonna be able to gain experience is if I go back to the beginning areas and grind a bit there :urg:

But yeah, kinship sounds awesome. I just figure we'd all want to start in the same area rather than being all spread apart.

On another note...skirmishes are a nice way to level up o.O. Did one in 20 minutes and got about 6000 xp.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Seems like I've hit a wall. Lv 31 right now, but I have no more quests left. Seems like all the lv 30+ quests are in areas where I have to purchase from the store to get more quests .-.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Haha, well I'm sort of doing them! I have about 400 points, and they just come with what I do.

For now, I'm doing a bunch of fellowship/instance quests in the lone lands.

Also, joined a kinship since they all decided to help me out with a bunch of stuff.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Buuuuuump...

Just created a Guardian...
he kills stuff alot slower than my burglar, but i guess the extra stamina is a good trade

also...
turbines gonna have a 50% off certain quest packs (soon?) so thats something to look forward to...

im personally planning on getting Evendim and Misty Mountains quest packs

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Let's organize getting on a server then. That'll keep us decently active. Anyone have any ideas? Should prob split classes accordingly

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I haven't played in a week or two. My hunter is at lv 45 I believe. I bought the quest pack in Evendim and have done most of the quests there. Currently trying to figure out what my next move will be.

I'm up for creating a new class though. I've been interested in Captain, but I don't mind sticking with Hunter since I got the hang of him.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
buump...

So as most of you know the Harvestmath Festival is occurring as we speak. I was surprised as to how easy it was to get the two festival mounts. Now all i have left to do is keep checking the treasure chest in the haunted burrow hoping i get lucky and get the Aged Deed, which would give me the skeleton painted horse...

And............
Rise Of Isengard came out :o
lots of interesting changes...
Thoughts???

Top Bottom