• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lord HDL’s Link Guide!

Aiser

Smash Lord
Us yes, but HDL lives in Puerto Rico, HDL = Germ. Aside from that what does MLG Pro cover? mainly U.S.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
lol that’s ********. Another fanboy that knows a one-sided story. You know some things about Germ, but what about me? You know very little about me, therefore your opinions mean very little. And this isn’t the first time people just assume things about me because of what they see of Germ and also where I live. Please get out of my thread if you’ve got nothing constructive to contribute, because you obviously don’t got your facts straight about me. And I won’t waste my seconds of my life trying to explain details. Just posting asking to cut it out. Keep your fanboyism to yourself.

Aiser

Smash Lord
^ I really hope that wasn't Aimed at me ;___;

edit: Okay incase it was aimed at me, I want to state for the record I wasn't bashing you in anyway I was mearly trying to point out the flaw in his argument that since Germ is mentioned in MLG pro that he's a better player. I'm sure if you were in the U.S. you would be mentioned as well since you're just as good as a player if not better, Sorry for the miscomunication there I appologize.

Smash Lord
stfu if you think he's the best then good for you but you CANNOT debate who's "best" everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. If The GERM can beat players like Isai the good for him. I bet they haven't played HDL. Anyways If you look at their different styles i feel HDL would win. He has a more predictive and improvising style whereas GERM uses a more aggressive style. That's my opinion as your opinion is "GERM=Best Link in the U.S. period." I know you probably meant it as a joke when you posted it but please, no one cares who you think is better.

pronk89

Smash Rookie
I think it'd be best to, instead of arguing who is the best, to try and watch both of them and learn from them. They are both two great players, and we should be trying our best to eat up what they have to offer.

Awesome guide, btw. It's really helped me a lot.

Nytroid

Smash Rookie
pretty sick guied, but I have to ask you; are the numbers used for your smash attacks not including charging? because they are way to low if that isn't the case (his down sweep can be as powerful as 23 damage) also, I love your video, I saw it on google once looking for combo videos and you're very good.

twister425

Smash Cadet
wait wait wait....if HDL is in puerto rico, but he's as good as germ...how can you tell? whens the last time you heard of someone going pro from Puerto Rico? let alone being listed as a top smasher in the world. there are no good well known smashers in puerto rico....im just a decent smasher, and HDL would be cake for me to beat. go watch VoD and check out germ. he ***** HDL. period.

Damax

Smash Lord
twister425 said:
wait wait wait....if HDL is in puerto rico, but he's as good as germ...how can you tell? whens the last time you heard of someone going pro from Puerto Rico? let alone being listed as a top smasher in the world. there are no good well known smashers in puerto rico....im just a decent smasher, and HDL would be cake for me to beat. go watch VoD and check out germ. he ***** HDL. period.
omg you noob will you shut up at once?, your definitly dumb and racist so just shut the **** up. you'd probably say there's no one going pro from quebec. actualy its not cause we don't have the skills or such things, but maybe cause our ressources are limited, we don't have a major gaming league for ssbm or something like that. that is the only difference and it applies to HDL to. alright you decent smasher any chance you going to fc6? I'm not good with words I'd rather just kill you smash wise, mister you own HDL.

twister425

Smash Cadet
well Damax...unless you're better than HDL yourself....you might want to watch your mouth.....i'm just saying.
if it would shut you up, i bet i could get Husband to tell you guys that HDL is worse than GERM. on mlgpro.com, Husband knows his ****. and if you dont even know who Husband is, then please, get the hell off of smashboards.

http://www.mlgpro.com/mlg_points.php?game=SSBMS

i bet HDL wouldn't rank on the top 75 on the MLG list. let alone above GERM. get owned via text you stupid kids.

Aiser

Smash Lord
Twister, please stop polluting this thread with your non sense, and please stop being racists. =\

I've said this before, MLG only covers the US not Canada or Southern America. Furthermore you should really think about the position your in right now, You have a join date of mar 2006 unless you show otherwise you don't know what you're talking about.

Also for the record, I have 20 bucks that says Damax would four stock you =|

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Twister, you have no business defending the Germ or anybody else. You can't say anything conclusively on either side, as the only "evidence" that you have in this case is videos, and maybe not even that. There was nothing to prompt defense of the Germ, just as there was no prompt for you to say what you said towards Lord HDL. You think the Germ is better than HDL? That's great. Other people think HDL is better than the Germ? That's great, too. People can think what they want, and there's no need to start prosyletizing to get them on your side.

Now everybody, cease and desist on the topic. Get back to the actual point of the thread.

THK

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRedKirby
3DS FC
1005-9416-8042
Greetings. I'm a long time lurker that came to look at the guide to get some insight on improving my Link game, but it seems to be down?

No worries if it is, I'm just wondering if you'll ever have it back up.

JustaPnoy

Smash Apprentice
hmm. the site is down? great guide btw
i've already read it. i just wanted to see the tricks and stuff again
HDL's guide made me wanna own ppl as link

The King Of Hearts

Smash Journeyman
danm the site is down. That was one of my most favorite link sites to and the stategy with shiek really helped. Thanks HDL for the great guide and with you vs germ. Seriously I think it would be a great match and shouldent be held on who is better then who.

Fileffel

Smash Cadet
I remember when I could go to that link and learn things about Link that would make me better. Too bad it's down though. I'm just sitting here before school starts and wanted to review on some of the things I need to work on.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
I’m sorry it has to do with my host. I contacted them already. If you have any simple questions like how to perform a certain trick or whatever you can ask here and I’ll answer in the meantime.

SLH

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I'll ask the first question.

This is about the dthrow chaingrab on fast fallers. I usually attempt this whenever I get a grab in. However, people I play against regularly know I'll do this, and mix up teching and not teching, so I don't know when to try to follow their techs or use a dmash/utilt. Any suggestions?

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
If they stay there, just stand next to them. Follow and grab if they roll, and shieldgrab if they wakeup attack/wakeup. If you want to go for a safer method, stand there for a quick second and pop out a down smash. Usually they will lie down on the floor right next to you thinking it’s safe because they expect you to follow and grab, and they don’t react in time for the down smash. Since you are right next to them you hit with the sweetspot and do extra damage. You know you can trap people on top of platforms with this type of chain throw, and you won’t even have to run and follow them since the hookshot spans the entire length of the platform.

Damax

Smash Lord
Adds to HDL's post: if he's lying and doing nothing you can always jab him once or twice (depend on pourcentage he's at) and he'll get up, he'll probably try blocking as a reflex thats when you grab him. he'll see fire. also be sure to MIX your moves too! UP throw and down throw ( you should prioritise up throw, down throw will get less and less effective as time goes by) With up throw if you grab him before 10 % he'll mostly DI in front of you and fall on his feet leading in another grab. (you can also down smash) Up throw, back air, grab works well at around 30 percent I think.. follow the enemy's DI and use the C stick for the back air. Up throw to down air for KO's keep that in mind.

if you still wanna do down throw tech chase, be sure to dash dance, as dumb as it seems it can easily lead an opponent into teching away. (mind games)

correct me if I'm wrong HDL, I just thought I'd lend a hand

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Yeah, jabbing causes a force reset. The problem with it though is if they hold left or right they will roll in that direction and you may wind up missing your chance if you expect them to get up straight.

For the tech chasing you don’t really need to dash dance. As long as you are right next to them as they’re about to tech, you can chase and grab before giving them a window to dodge. It’s just difficult since you need to be lightning fast, and you need to JC. It’s easy on platforms. As long as you are in the middle when you grab they can’t DI off the platform, and no running is necessary.

Damax

Smash Lord
well dash dancing keeps me more concentrated... hum most things can be avoided Lord HDL espescially Link moves, every Link has to play with that and learn it, cause if not he'll never get good.

for the platform combo: a good fox/falco would di the grab behind you, and stay down, they would probably get up by attacking. you could react to this but most likely he should find his way out pretty soon. if you down smash chances are he'll go out of here. Downthrow is not a chaingrab and you won't be able to defend against every defensive manoeuvrer. if you think he'll come up with a rising attack you can jump to up air. remember that at a HIGH level of playing grabs on platform will be getting realy realy realy realy rare.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Maybe it´s because of I´m right now using school computer or something, I can´t find the guide because of some error..

I just want to ask if the edge cancled up-b is used by some good link player, and I don´t speak about the usual when you edgehog, i speak about the one where you actually is standing above the edge.
How to do it is just running against the edge, do an up-b and quickly tap the stick form the edge, It has only happened me one time or two so I think it´s a lot about timing,is this new or not common to use in tournaments?

Damax

Smash Lord
I think its more a personnal choice, I wavedash, short hop or moonwalk to ledge, I doubt up B sweetspot from stage is used as it is hard to NEVER miss. its also dangerous for yourself

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
Damax said:
well dash dancing keeps me more concentrated... hum most things can be avoided Lord HDL espescially Link moves, every Link has to play with that and learn it, cause if not he'll never get good.

for the platform combo: a good fox/falco would di the grab behind you, and stay down, they would probably get up by attacking. you could react to this but most likely he should find his way out pretty soon. if you down smash chances are he'll go out of here. Downthrow is not a chaingrab and you won't be able to defend against every defensive manoeuvrer. if you think he'll come up with a rising attack you can jump to up air. remember that at a HIGH level of playing grabs on platform will be getting realy realy realy realy rare.
Like I said, you will be able to continuously catch them. The down throw is a chain throw because if your reaction is fast enough you will be able to catch them over and over without leaving them a window to jump, dodge, roll, etc., and DI doesn’t help either. It’s a risky investment that needs perfect reflexes, so sometimes it is best to do it a few times and then switch to up throw. However it is most definitely a chain throw. After all, the definition of a chain throw is being able to being able to grab and throw someone over and over without them escaping.

As for the platforms, they can’t DI off if you stay in the middle, and they might get up with a wakeup attack, which is why you react and shieldgrab. It’s tough to do over and over, but it’s worked for me plenty of times. The good thing about it is that it works regardless of your opponents skill, because we’re only dealing with frame data, techs, and wakeup. Also I am quite familiar with a HIGH level of playing.

The guide is back up, but it still needs some updating. Don’t know when I’ll be getting to that.

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
I’m going to intermittently update, so you might notice some changes. Don’t use the Google cache because it doesn’t update. I guess I’ll point out what was done another time.

JustaPnoy

Smash Apprentice
NICE the guide is back up. and wow just wow.. i just saw your link vs peach vids. your link is freaken amazing! also, do you have any link vs fox vids? i saw one with b4k4 but it the fox wasnt that great.

Link-NY

Smash Ace
wow HDL i just saw that link vs peach match of urs and i gotta say...that LINK IS ****ING AMAZING! improved alot since the last vids ive seen of u :D:D:D

Top Bottom