• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lord HDL’s Link Guide!

HDL

I like pork chops.
BRoomer
JustaPnoy, the videos of that Fox are from like 1-2 years ago.

On that note; the Link VS. Peach matches are from March.

Damax

Smash Lord
By the way justapnoy we should try to meet up at joel's so I could show you some real time Link ownage, and everything

I still can't thanks HDL enough for this guide was way too useful when I was noob. I highly recommend this ****

JustaPnoy

Smash Apprentice
Lord HDL said:
JustaPnoy, the videos of that Fox are from like 1-2 years ago.

On that note; the Link VS. Peach matches are from March.
ok ok but if you ever make a link vs a fox video plz post. i read the char. matchups but a vid wud be better.

oh and yeah that'd be cool damax, i really need to play some good players.. the ones i know suck ( well not really ) and they aren't serious smashers.

Snowman3karrotz

Smash Rookie
Hey HDL NICE GUIDE!!! BUT How the hell do you do links "bomb rain" is it on specific games only or can I do it on any game???
Ive did it a couple of times on my friends system but I cant seem to pull it off once at my house...
any one got any tips on how to do it??? lol Id rather talk to you so ou can explain it to me.

aim- snowman3karrotz
myspace- www.myspace.com/snownewny

Damax

Smash Lord
that is because you need the first version of smash. an early version, since the lattest one got it fixed. so you probably just CAN'T do it at your home... and also if someone has a metal grey cube it is more likely that it will not work since they'll probably have the last version

.:The K-9:.

Smash Rookie
Lord HDL said:
Haha so I made one eh? I actually got started on this weeks ago, but I put it off due to laziness and recently finished it. I remember a long time ago someone asked me if I was ever going to make a guide or FAQ and I told them that I probably wasn’t since it was a lot of work. Well now, almost a year later, I decided to make one and I like how it turned out. In order to avoid the really long posts I’ll just post a link and you can read the guide elsewhere. There is now a plethora of Link trick videos for those that want to see him pull stuff out of nowhere. And of course all the other aspects about Link mainly in text. Everything from his move list, character matchups, counter stages, advanced techniques, and all that good jazz. Please read it and post here telling me what you thought of it, because I put a good amount of time into making it. Also please let me know if there are any mistakes or if I forgot to add something. I hope you enjoy. Just don’t bust your brain reading it all in one shot. :083:

Lord HDL’s Link Guide

dude tht was a awsome guide.. but im still strugglin with the whole link flight. anywayz ur guide helped me a lot more then i thoguht it would. and i now wat ur talking about when i saw the videos..some crazy stuff there...

Link226

Smash Ace
Lord HDL said:
Haha so I made one eh? I actually got started on this weeks ago, but I put it off due to laziness and recently finished it. I remember a long time ago someone asked me if I was ever going to make a guide or FAQ and I told them that I probably wasn’t since it was a lot of work. Well now, almost a year later, I decided to make one and I like how it turned out. In order to avoid the really long posts I’ll just post a link and you can read the guide elsewhere. There is now a plethora of Link trick videos for those that want to see him pull stuff out of nowhere. And of course all the other aspects about Link mainly in text. Everything from his move list, character matchups, counter stages, advanced techniques, and all that good jazz. Please read it and post here telling me what you thought of it, because I put a good amount of time into making it. Also please let me know if there are any mistakes or if I forgot to add something. I hope you enjoy. Just don’t bust your brain reading it all in one shot. :083:

Lord HDL’s Link Guide
whoa......5 star guide man :)

Granny in Disguise

Smash Rookie
DuDe... I rlly like this guide and it rlly helped me out with comboable moves and stuff...
The way you explain match-ups and stuff is very good.
If i see you fighting with Link i see something that i would like to be .. lol ..
I rlly have a long way to go to do the same things as you.
But rlly good guide .. 5 stars... well.. 6.. (5+you = 6) xD

Link226

Smash Ace
O can any1 help me out with something? i cant ever seem 2 do the bomb recovery....it almost seems impossible. The only time i can do it is wen im practicing it. But i cant ever do it during battle....is there an easier way 2 do it? Cuz i just jump n throw the bomb n up-b

Damax

Smash Lord
have you tried using the double jump to pick your bomb? then throwing it up then up B toward it?

you keep going toward the stage while picking your bomb and throwing it up. you come back for the up B. you can practice this way by jumping out of dreamland.

Link226

Smash Ace
Damax said:
have you tried using the double jump to pick your bomb? then throwing it up then up B toward it?

you keep going toward the stage while picking your bomb and throwing it up. you come back for the up B. you can practice this way by jumping out of dreamland.
?????
U cant double jump wen u get hit.

Just 1 jump n a up-B........but the 1 jump never helps me lol

Kyle Kerplunk

Smash Cadet
I just joined smashboards recently, but have seen your Link guide about 6 or 7 months ago since than there has been a mark improvement that continues to grow on my melee game. This guide really inspired me to take this game more seriously although I knew about wavedashing before and beat a few opponents who used advanced tactics before I did I had trouble learning these tactics early on and became discouraged but seing your guide made me realize how worthwhile it would be to learn these tactics and better my Link thank's for inspiration this guide is awesome.

SirNegroJuice

Smash Journeyman
O can any1 help me out with something? i cant ever seem 2 do the bomb recovery....it almost seems impossible. The only time i can do it is wen im practicing it. But i cant ever do it during battle....is there an easier way 2 do it? Cuz i just jump n throw the bomb n up-b
When you're holding the bomb in mid-air, use the c-stick to smash throw it up. Then up-b into it. Just make sure Link's head hits the bomb. I find it a difficult trick too. I can do it in theory, but rarely in application.

WIPE$$$

Smash Journeyman
There two version in SSBM how can you tell if its verison one or verison two
Courtesy of http://ssbm.detstar.com.

Take your Melee disk, and turn it over to the shiny side. Hold it directly in the light, and search for tiny text on the dark ring. You'll have to experiment by holding your disk at different angles in the light, until the text is visible.

Eventually, you should be able to find text that says "DOL-GALE-0-xx".
The "xx" will actually be a number, which tells you which version you have. The version numbers are below:
00: Version 1.0
01: Version 1.1
02: Version 1.2

I've noticed in many videos that when doing an aerial combo, most Links use bair->sex kick. Why is this combo effective and is it only effective against to certain characters or can it be used against anyone?

Damax

Smash Lord

Take your Melee disk, and turn it over to the shiny side. Hold it directly in the light, and search for tiny text on the dark ring. You'll have to experiment by holding your disk at different angles in the light, until the text is visible.

The "xx" will actually be a number, which tells you which version you have. The version numbers are below:

I've noticed in many videos that when doing an aerial combo, most Links use bair->sex kick. Why is this combo effective and is it only effective against to certain characters or can it be used against anyone?
The combo can be done on mostly anyone doing a bad DI but at different pourcentages. The back kicks helps you to close in, since you are close after the sex kick can be used to full potential and is quick enough to prevent any escape move from the opponent. you can also do a double back air, or try but usually they will get out of it and slash/hit you back. when playing better peeps the back air to sex kick is rare since good DI prevent it like 99,5% of Link's combos rofl

NovA™

Smash Apprentice
The best guide for LINK on SWF. I loved all of the little advanced technique clips that you added to the bottom. A MUST READ FOR LINK PLAYERS!!!

Uck2

Smash Cadet
Very nice and well thought out tutorial this is the kind of tutorial you can always come back to after you gain massive experiance to fully understand some aspects. A+

Uck2

Smash Cadet
not true at all.

How can you say that exaclty theres plenty of information in this guide that can be better understood by gaining some experiance.Is there a reason as to why you say "not true at all" or is your general and very broad statement all you have to say.

Dont get me wrong im not trying to debate you on this exacty but since you decided to take time posting your opinion why dont you add to it by posting atleast an informed opinion instead of playing it safe behind your statement.

Uck2

Smash Cadet
I think you knew exaclty what I meant but decided to poke fun at my join date.I bet you couldnt resist the temptation heh? lol

Hiko

Smash Rookie

your there a difference between the jpn verison and the us verison?
My say Dol-Gale-0-02 us

Link226

Smash Ace
Once again...great guide HDL....its crazy, but now that im more expericened than when i first read this...it still amazes me lol. Its really accuarate, the only thing i kinda disagree on is the upsmash...i think it should get just a lil more credit. Well i could care less for what score u put for the move....cuz i never freakin use it..lol

o and i wanted to ask u HDL...what move do u think it would be the best to use when u edge hop to the stage? Cuz i know most people use fair...and yes i know its situational, but I would like to know what move do u think is the best to use...or what move do u use the most?

Damax

Smash Lord
Once again...great guide HDL....its crazy, but now that im more expericened than when i first read this...it still amazes me lol. Its really accuarate, the only thing i kinda disagree on is the upsmash...i think it should get just a lil more credit. Well i could care less for what score u put for the move....cuz i never freakin use it..lol

o and i wanted to ask u HDL...what move do u think it would be the best to use when u edge hop to the stage? Cuz i know most people use fair...and yes i know its situational, but I would like to know what move do u think is the best to use...or what move do u use the most?
Neutral air. Forward for more range. down to punish those who came back on stage and has a a lag (sheik edgeguarding for exemple). Up to prevent Aerial assaults like falco's spike. Don't always jump out of edge with an attack to comeback. good players will figure it out and **** you and your little aerial jump.

Emodeath

Smash Rookie
Quick Fix It :p!

None of the links work at all! i really wanna watch these videos lol. Nothing works in the guide, all section 11-12 and anything else. Brings you to an error page.

PLease fix asap :)

Top Bottom