• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Loose Echo Fighters

Edelgard von Hresvelg

Smash Rookie
There are 'strict' echo fighters like Daisy or Richter that share pretty much everything with their base character, apart from some animations or properties. But then there are loose echo fighters like Chrom or Ken that can have completely different special moves, including their Final Smash. I wanted to start a thread focused on ideas of 'loose' echo fighters that are based on an existing fighter but have one or two unique specials. Maybe they can be slightly different sizes too (Lucina and Daisy are shorter than Marth and Peach).

:ultdiddy: - Dixie Kong - starting off with the obvious choice, Dixie would play like Diddy but her Up B is more like Spinning Kong where she twirls her hair. She shoots bubblegum instead of peanuts. Her Final Smash would be replaced as well, maybe playing her guitar or something.
:ultsonic: - Tails - another obvious choice, Tails is slightly shorter than Sonic and instead of Spring Jump he flies with his tails, like the Up B of Villager and Isabelle. If one more change is allowed, Neutral B fires a laser gun I guess.
:ultyoshi: - Birdo - Birdo plays just like Yoshi, except instead of Neutral B being Egg Lay, she sucks in opponents like Dedede or King K. Rool do, and then shoots them back out. She still throws eggs and does the egg roll, but they are pink spotted just like in Mario Kart Double Dash!!
:ulttoonlink: - Tetra - Tetra wields a scimitar instead of a sword, and does not hold a shield. The rest of her moves are the same, except she fires a pistol instead of a bow. If you wanted to get crazy she could use the grapple hook instead of the spin attack, which would work like any other grapple recovery. Same Final Smash.
:ultzelda: - Twili Midna - Twili Midna is slightly taller than Zelda. For this echo fighter, imagine a complete visual overhaul with twilight effects, similar to Dark Samus for Samus. When she teleports with Up B, it has that twilight portal effect, and Neutral B looks like the crystal that encased Hyrule Castle in TP. Instead of Din's Fire, Midna sends out a Sol that explodes in a burst of light. The main difference is that instead of sending out a phantom soldier for her Down B, she sends out the mechanical twilight hand from the Mirror of Twilight, and it's always in its full form. Her Final Smash pulls people into the Mirror of Twilight where she banishes them, and functions the same as Zelda's FS.
:ultdk: - Funky Kong - Besides having funkier animations, Funky Kong's Up B sees him jump on his surfboard and catch some waves, much like Squirtle's Up B. Otherwise he's the same.
:ultpikachu: - Raichu - Raichu's tail and larger size give it much greater reach on some of its moves. Normally this would disqualify it from being an echo fighter, but not on my list! Has an Alolan Raichu alt.
:ultrobinf: - Celica - Celica's sword is longer, but does not switch between the bronze sword and levin sword. Instead of Nosferatu, Celica uses Recover, which is unique in that it can only affect an allied fighter rather than an enemy, but it restores a great amount of damage. This makes her a great ally in team battles.
:ultinkling: - Callie/Marie - I know everyone pegs the Octolings for this one, but after the Mii costumes I really want Callie and Marie to be playable. Callie and Marie are alts of each other, and their ink color is pink or green. Since Marie likes chargers, this replaces the splattershot for the neutral B (Callie already prefers rollers, so that's good to stay). The splat bomb could also be changed to any of the other bombs in Splatoon, like the suction bomb or burst bomb. Their Final Smash calls the other Squid Sister to them and they perform a show (kinda like the assist trophy) except it actually damages fighters...somehow.

That's all I've got for now

Quillion

Smash Hero
Another echo thread, this time focused on semi-echoes?

TP/OoT Link say hi.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
What about implementing entirely new Specials for said loose Echos? I don't think it would be impossible since Ganondorf was introduced as a Captain Falcon clone in Melee and had a new move with hitting someone with his fist in midair instead of Falcon's knee of justice. I know that isn't a Special, but I think this alone proves they could make entirely new Specials or moves in general for Echo Fighters.

Like I had this idea that Risky Boots could be Shantae's Echo since Shantae uses all her gear in Pirate's Curse. Shantae doesn't have her genie powers in that game until the very end when she get's it back. But like imagine Shantae getting in with her moveset being a mix of her genie power animal transformations and her pirate gear moveset from Pirate's Curse which is really Risky's gear and moves. So for Risky, they could just take Shantae's animal transformations out of her Specials and replace them with more of her gear since Shantae's moveset already would have some of that mixed in it.

Last edited:

Edelgard von Hresvelg

Smash Rookie
Another echo thread, this time focused on semi-echoes?

TP/OoT Link say hi.
You're right! I guess I didn't think of it since there are 3 Links already, but Link technically has no echo. So his echo fighter would be OoT/TP Link which are alts of each other, unless Gale Boomerang throws a wrench in that. I mean if I were making the game I would allow alts to have different properties but Sakurai is not currently allowing that.
Maybe we could give some of these "loose Echo Fighters" some of the custom moves from Smash 4?
I almost included that in my concept of Raichu, but then decided that being a different size was enough. But yeah I think where ever it makes sense, they could be brought back for an echo.

What about implementing entirely new Specials for said loose Echos? etc. etc.
Well that is in fact part of my idea, just like how Chrom has a new special and Dark Pit had a new Final Smash. A lot of the ideas I have for specials just happen to be similar to already existing moves on other characters however.

And yes I love Shantae and the Pirate's Curse and honestly I would almost prefer Shantae just having the pirate moveset because I like it so much, but that's probably not realistic. Could be half and half though like you said

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
You're right! I guess I didn't think of it since there are 3 Links already, but Link technically has no echo. So his echo fighter would be OoT/TP Link which are alts of each other, unless Gale Boomerang throws a wrench in that. I mean if I were making the game I would allow alts to have different properties but Sakurai is not currently allowing that.
Personally I wouldn't mind if they just get rid of the wind effect on Gale Boomerang just to have the two Links be consistent.

They're still my most wanted echo, and no one can convince me otherwise since I really don't like how Link's moveset is so different just to pander to BotW fans.

Dolph63

Smash Cadet
Not sure if we can go with different series, so,,,

FRANK FLY AS A JOKER ECHO

We could have Frankystein Mark II as an Arsène echo.

The up-specials might need changes and I have no idea what I'd do for the side-b.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I had an idea a long while ago: Mew as a Mewtwo echo. Then I realized echoes have to share proportions, so I dismissed the idea. Could fit into "loose echo" if we're willing to go decently far with size disparity

Top Bottom