• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for some G&W help

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Hey guys. In an effort to keep following 56k around...(jkjk), I play G&W.

Seriously though, I have a few questions. Let me just preface by saying I have absolutely NO talent for picking up video games, and thus need otherwise simple things explained to me...PLus, I don't own brawl, so I don't really get to practice, so I pretty much need theory down first...^_^

First of all, the use of his f-air. From what I see, it is nowhere near the same use as in melee. You have to full jump it to have no lag, and I primarily use it to space/retreat/ punish someone lagging in air. What else is it good for?

Re approaching...pretty much my only approach is (when I'm not being stupid) RARing b-airs, or doing little hoppy dances outside their range...what are some other things to do? SH F-airs aren't that useful, though I just recently noticed that n-airing through them is nice, pokes, and doesn't have much lag.

speaking of his neutral air, How exactly do the hitboxes/knockback of various parts work? It seems useful (most of the time I forget that and use f-air), but I'm not quite sure how it works >_<

Also, any advice v. snake? Most of it is me simply underestimating his jab/f-tilt range, but more help I can get the better ^__^

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
Fair is pretty good at chasing the opponent off the stage. It's G&W's Box of Pain. It's a pretty reliable kill move. The landing lag is pretty sucky though :[

The hitbox on the Nair is very big. Well, it's decent sized. It hits to your sides and a decent amout above you. It scores a few multihits and the last one has the biggest knockback. Overall, it's a pretty awesome move.

And about Snake...

DO NOT FIGHT HIM ON BATTLEFIELD .~.

Sw0rd

Smash Cadet
Against Snake, the key does wonders. It goes right through his mortars, so its pretty helpful.

Snake's recovery is pretty gimpable, G&W's fair usually does the trick. His up-b works pretty well if the Snake gets too high. The turtle outranges his AAA and ftilt combos.

D-throw to dtilt works pretty well on Snake usually, unless he techs it.

Nair is pretty useful, it comes out pretty fast and does pretty good damage. Fair is not as good as it was, as you can easily be shieldgrabbed out of it.

I'm not all that good at giving advice so I hopped this helped. Gl with G&W :)

Edit: Oh, and if Snake has any proxy mines on platforms, just fast fall through them and the mines won't detect you. They won't blow unless you do the landing animation.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
why not? G&W seems to have a decent game on 3 platform stages, while giving you a chance to avoid projectiles...

Sw0rd

Smash Cadet
I think battlefield is fine for G&W, but snake does have a slight advantage. Snake's c4 and proxy mines on the platforms can really pressure you.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
He likes to play the control game throughout BF. He plays the field so you have to do obvious approaches. Approaching from above is impossible as he's on the ground floor, while the ground is covered both by his grenades and his tilts. You can Key through the platform pretty decently, and hit hime as he's big. Iunno, I just find it really hard to play him there.

OH

he survives forever on BattleField. 200% is crazy. And you cant really gimp him too well there either. Try Smashville instead.

Key in general is good, tech chasing him is good, Dtilt is good also.
You want to perfect shield his killing moves.
And watch out for Utilt!

He's hard in general, but harder there.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
First of all, the use of his f-air. From what I see, it is nowhere near the same use as in melee. You have to full jump it to have no lag, and I primarily use it to space/retreat/ punish someone lagging in air. What else is it good for?
The F-air is a very good attack. This attack comes out nice and fast, and it does 16% undiminished. This is your main aerial kill move, but don't be deceived by the ending lag. This attack is very good for approaching, if not always G&W's best approach tactic. This attack has good shield stun, and retreating F-airs are actually difficult to punish. G&W DIs really well, so you can space F-airs outside of normal range of punishment. At high percents, the non-sweetspotted hit is useful for keeping people away from you, if you happen to miss the sweetspot.

Re approaching...pretty much my only approach is (when I'm not being stupid) RARing b-airs, or doing little hoppy dances outside their range...what are some other things to do? SH F-airs aren't that useful, though I just recently noticed that n-airing through them is nice, pokes, and doesn't have much lag.
As I said, SH F-airs aren't actually that bad. Use B-airs and N-airs definitely. The D-air sometimes isn't bad for approaching if your opponent's shield is worn down a bit. Sometimes though you might want to let people approach you so you can hit them with tilts too lol.

speaking of his neutral air, How exactly do the hitboxes/knockback of various parts work? It seems useful (most of the time I forget that and use f-air), but I'm not quite sure how it works >_<
The first few hits have little knockback, so they chain into each other. The last hit knocks people upwards. The move increases in size the longer it is out, and if you connect with this fully, it does 17% undiminished.

Also, any advice v. snake? Most of it is me simply underestimating his jab/f-tilt range, but more help I can get the better ^__^
Yeah, beware of his Jab, F-tilt, and U-tilt. Other than that, once you get him into the air though, he's easy to deal with. Snake can barely do anything in the air really, and he hates dealing with U-air juggling.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
@A2ZOMG: but again, SHing the f-air isn't useful, cause you lose the drifting->spacing?

so....with G&W is it better to approach or let the opponent approach? I know that shield-grabbing isn't too useful(unless they don't space), but shield-drop to something still is (if they space).

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The Key is HORRIBLE vs snake. Snake can just shield it and ftilt you. Smart snakes will bait your key with an upsmash then punish you.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Honestly, I've seen Cosmo approach with SH F-airs and then retreat midway through the attack where he can't be grabbed.

It's especially worthwhile to consider after weakening your opponent's shield with B-airs.

Generally G&W should be approaching people most of the time though. He's a very aggressive sort of character, because he can punish right through shields, and then follow up quickly with more attacks like his Up-B, then cancel into a D-air.

Against characters like Olimar, Metaknight, or Marth who are harder to approach, he should wait for them to get closer.

The Key is HORRIBLE vs snake. Snake can just shield it and ftilt you. Smart snakes will bait your key with an upsmash then punish you.
Lol, Snake's Up-smash = free key. Key beats out his U-smash. It's the U-tilt you have to beware of.

napZzz

Smash Hero
nah The key is so easy to get past you just ground dodge it right when he comes down. And even after snake up smashes you still have time to be able to do it. IGNORE THE KEY in most situations. Snake has trouble getting back on stage sometimes if you keep going out there and knockin him back. And you are stupid, battlefield is basically his home level. He can do sooooooooo much with mines and nades in there and because its so small snake can easily follow you if you try to run away. The platforms keep you from approaching with air moves as much and ummmmm snake>anyone on the ground. Have you even played a good snake?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
just don't use it as an approach and you'll be fine. Make sure to aim it at his backside when in you're the air and he's on the ground. if he shields, then spray his ugly...

Top Bottom