• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

London Monthlies Pools/Teams Poll

Pools or Teams at the London Monthlies?

• Total voters

Clockmire

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Alex. Doubles partners change as often as Tamao's main - too many variables.

Like, person A and person B might be very good at singles individually, but suck as a team (e.g. Chrisboi and Frostbyte). And vice versa (:bee:).

Character combinations can also drastically change everything. General consensus is the only way and people would cry about that.

NessySmashBros

Smash Apprentice
I say pools. Coz I don't like doubles that much :/ Plus I usually suck in tournament and get kicked out early, I get to play more people in pools and have more matches so I find that even more fun.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Doubles is the way to go... =[

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
Doing it in terms of games is only true assuming each game is being played one at a time, which is stupid as there will be approximately 20 TVs there so many games will be played at the same time, so their individual game time is measured by the time taken by the longest game. Anyone who can't see that needs to do some studying.

Doing it in terms of rounds is the best estimate possible, because alot of games will happen simultaniously.

Further proof that games is a bad idea comes from numerical work USING RUSTEDIRONS data. If we assume the average game is 3 mins, and 200 games are played using bo1 pools, then thats 600 mins of games.

WITH NO DELAYS thats 10 hours of solid games. This is pretty much the entire duration of the event. Under bad delays, a tournement with this setup has taken less time than this, including setup time and time taken to sort out brackets and pools.

Not to mention that your maths suggests not enough time for doubles, making your "counter-arguement" invalid.

j3ly

Smash Champion
I say for the sake of the newcomers, keep pools. For the sake of growth - for the sake of more people like.. yeniths kira and I who take it seriously and rise.
I have an idea, though fuzz never takes advise but still - as signups happen ASK the people, one by one, if this is the first melee tourney they have attended. See what they're sayin, and from that you should be able to get an idea whether or not teams would be good for the community, because, that is pretty much all that matters.
My first tourney was pools of 8, and it was ****. I may have gotten *****, but it was **** nonetheless.

Clockmire

Smash Journeyman
The problem is that a lot of games AREN'T being played simultaneously.

In theory Blinky is right, but in reality it's a mix between the two.

Blinky

Smash Journeyman
Pools are one of the few cases where games are actually being played simultaniously, with there normally being 1 setup per pool. Pools has a large volume of games, but these are played out very quickly because of this.

16 team Doubles brackets, and a 16 player singles brackets (due to pools) should take approximately similar ammounts of times, so this can be ignored.

The main comparison is down to which is quicker, pools or a 32 man double elimination bracket. Clearly pools will take less time.

rustediron also made a maths error:
16 team doubles + 32 player singles = 63 + 127 = 190 (minimum)
16 team doubles + 32 player singles = 101 + 197 = 298 (maximum)
16 player singles + BO3 pools = 63 + 96 = 159 (minimum)
16 player singles + BO3 pools = 101 + 144 = 245 (maximum)

The scenario with pools IS ALWAYS shorter.

Willz

Smash Master
NNID
WillzUK
If there's pools, then how many people per pool and how many people make it through?

Tamoo

Smash Master
Pools would only be a good substitute for me if it was to be like pools of 8. They are fun, pools of 4 is just kinda meh but i dunno.

Also, about the doubles seeding, wouldn't it be better to have this problem now rather than at GT2? We surely don't want a repeat of the PH2 doubles bracket but without prior knowledge of doubles performance, there won't be a reliable method of seeding at the more important event.

I do understand that pools would give a better time for newcomers in terms of singles experience but this is assuming they're not into doubles. I remember when I first started out, all our crew ever did was play doubles/ffas and that was and still is what i'm most interested in. It gives newcomers a better chance to cause upsets, look at me and dave at GGT2, two unknowns coming in to take 4th at a national.

Sorry charles, I know you didn't want a discussion and by all means delete my post again if you want but I think it's important people make an informed decision on this rather than one on a whim.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Im sure if we do pools, u can trust some1 to take care of that pool. And yeah pools of 8.

VA

Smash Hero
I suppose the point is the smaller singles bracket making up for the 32 singles needed with doubles is the reason pools works faster.

But pools are just a boring means to a **** end. Doubles is more fun with potentially more games to be played. A 32 man bracket would take ages I guess.

rustediron

Smash Lord
rustediron also made a maths error:
16 team doubles + 32 player singles = 63 + 127 = 190 (minimum)
16 team doubles + 32 player singles = 101 + 197 = 298 (maximum)
16 player singles + BO3 pools = 63 + 96 = 159 (minimum)
16 player singles + BO3 pools = 101 + 144 = 245 (maximum)

The scenario with pools IS ALWAYS shorter.
Nice heads up, my bad.

FanDemZ

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, well obviously my experiance is very limited, but i don't agree that pools are 'good for newcomers'.

As a 'newcomer' I know full well that I probably won't make it out of pools anyway and would be happy just beating anyone. However, that does not mean I don't want to compete at my best level of smash and win some games (hell that's the only reason i play!). Maybe relative 'newcomers' like myself would prefer pools, but I would prefer doubles as i know I will still get loads of singles friendlies and I really enjoy playing doubles.

I just think that for newcomers it is purely a preference, so whatever is decided, there is no definitive right or wrong answer when considering entrants with a low level of smash community experiance.

Top Bottom