• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lolful - St. Petersburg, FL - April 12th - Starting the competitive smash scene in

dirty_rice88

Smash Cadet
....St. Petersburg

American Baptist Church of the Beattitudes
Address: 2812 Eighth St. N.

Map: http://www.mapquest.com/maps/America...+33704-2007/St
Double Elimination 1v1 and 2v2

Doors will open at 9:00 contestants can warm up with other players. The tournament will start between 11:00 and 11:30.

If possible please bring a wii, tv, or powerstrips.

Prizes
1st Place - 50% of pot
2nd Place – 20% of pot
3rd place - 10% of pot

Registration
5 dollars for singles
10 dollars for doubles (or 5 dollars each)

General Rules

* Participants must bring their own unmodded controllers, and they CANNOT be modded in any way. If anyone is found breaking this rule, they will be immediately removed from the tournament.
* Random Seeding will be in effect.
* Items will be OFF
* Smashballs will be OFF

First Round (and other preliminary rounds if necessary)
--- Random selected neutral stage
--- 4 Stock
--- Best 2/3
--- Time Limit: 7:00

Second Round--- Random selected neutral stage
--- 4 Stock
--- Best 2/3

Third and subsequent rounds (not including Final Round)
--- 4 Stock
--- Best 2/3

Final Round---4 Stock
---Best 3/5
---Time Limit: 8:00

Stage and Character Selection Rules
--- First match is a blind pick. Competitors will inform referee of character selection and begin the match on a random neutral map. The loser may either change his or her character or select the stage. The winner gets to do whatever the loser did not do. For example if the loser chose to change his character, then the winner get's to pick what stage they want to play on and vice versa.
Neutral:

* Final Destination
* Battlefield
* Yoshi's Story
* Smashville
* Lylat Cruise

Stages for Counterpick:

* Delfino Plaza
* Luigi's Mansion
* Mario Cicuit
* Bridge of Eldin
* Great Sea
* Norfair
* Frigate Orpheon
* Battleship Halberd
* Castle Siege
* Pictochat
* Green Hill Zone
* Yoshi's Island
* Rainbow Cruise
* Green Greens
* Brinstar
* Pokemon stadium 1
All other stages will be considered banned.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
This is only about 40 minutes from me, so I'd be interested.

Though I don't mind the cheap entrance, you could probably bump your price a little.

dirty_rice88

Smash Cadet
I'm changing the date to April 12th because I wont be able to host it that day.

Sorry for any inconveniences. The reason why it's so cheap is because I'm kind of worried about the attendance because the locals at St. Petersburg are kind of new to the tournament scene. I'll probably raise the price of the tournament for the 2nd or 3rd tournament once I feel more confident about the attendance.

dirty_rice88

Smash Cadet
Oh thanks for coming guys. If you need to stay the night, I can probably find a place for you guys to stay.

Jimiisama

Smash Apprentice
Have you thought about letting the loser announce the stage first, then allowing both players to change characters (winner changes first)? That's generally how it's done, but your methods seems interesting. It's your choice on what to do; I'm just wondering if you've considered the standard stage selection rules yet.

dirty_rice88

Smash Cadet
no the loser gets to choose whether or not he wants to counterpick a stage or change his or her character. then the winner gets to do the opposite of what the loser did if he or she wants to do (winner doesn't have to change his or her character). Idk i like the standard rules with counterpicking but sometimes i want to change my character instead of counterpicking with a stage, so this is my solution to it.

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
(Monk on lime's account)I may come to this...It's so **** close I could walk there...I won't...cause that's still a long *** walk

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
Especially since I probably will be driving. Speaking of which, if I do end up driving, you mind getting Nick Gabe? Then we can all just leave from my place.

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
dirty rice, also, competitive smash should never consist of a random selection of characters, thats very noob. it also sounds like a gamestop tourney.

or am I reading the rules wrong. we should be able to pick our own characters from the

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
If you're talking about the character/stage selection rule then yeah you're reading it wrong

Basically how I see it

Match 1
Player X loses
Player X Chooses what character he/she will play or level that will be played
Player Y Chooses whatever Player X didn't choose

I don't know really

dirty_rice88

Smash Cadet
it's not a random selection of characters. Say me and xYz are having a match. I choose marth and he chooses Sheik. His sheik totally butt ***** my marth.

In the second round i (the loser) have two choices. A) I can pick the next stage that we will play on or B) I can choose a new character.

At the time i feel like my marth isn't doing too hot, so i decide to change my character to Fox instead. Then, xYz gets to pick the new stage. Round 2 I loose again, but by a small margin, mostly because xYz had a good counterpick for the stage.

I have the same two choices, again. I can either A) pick a new stage or B) pick a new character.

For roud three I decide to pick a stage where my character will have an advantage at. So xYz, can change his character if he doesn't like his chances against that character on that stage (but he doesn't have too).

Get it? But yeah, monk pretty much gets it.

dirty_rice88

Smash Cadet
Sorry for any confusion. I just have it this way, because sometimes when I lose, I would rather change my character instead of picking the stage.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
so wait, you play a 3rd round even after losing twice? Ussually the 3rd round only happens if both players won once, making the 3rd one the tie breaker.

and to clarify, it seems that if you lose you can pick to change the level or your character, but not both. The winner's choice is limited to whatever the loser didn't pick. So if the loser changes characters, the winner isn't allowed to change characters as well, but they can pick the level.

dirty_rice88

Smash Cadet
Well this is assuming if this match is best of 5 in the finals.

"and to clarify, it seems that if you lose you can pick to change the level or your character, but not both. The winner's choice is limited to whatever the loser didn't pick. So if the loser changes characters, the winner isn't allowed to change characters as well, but they can pick the level."

absolutely correct, and very well put.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
That's all well and good, but if you think about it the advantage goes to the previous round's winner. Even though the loser is making a counter pick, the winner gets to react to whatever he does.

Say the loser picks a level, well now the winner already knows both who his opponent will use (since he can't change now) and the level he picked. Now he just needs to pick a character which will excel in both those areas.

The way most tournaments handle counter picking is: [Loser picks stage, Winner picks character, Loser picks character]. This way the loser can try to get a level he's good at (and not necessarily with the character he just used) or one that the opponent's character wouldn't do as well on. Then the winner could either stay with who he used if he thinks he can handle the stage, or switch to someone who suits it better. Then the loser can pick his character to better handle his opponent's character and/or the stage he chose.

In this case, it stays in the loser's advantage since he gets the final pick and has better control of the situation. Say you have a level you like to use for a counterpick, but you only prefer to use a certain character there. With your rules, in order to use that level to your advantage you would have had to play that character in the previous round. And while that character might be a good choice for counter picking, if he's not your main why would you want to use him the first round?

hopefully I wasn't too confusing, but for regular tourney goers, they are used to it already.

xYz

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1049-0933-6834
ok got it, in that case, you might see me at your tourney then.

dirty_rice88

Smash Cadet
That's all well and good, but if you think about it the advantage goes to the previous round's winner. Even though the loser is making a counter pick, the winner gets to react to whatever he does.

Say the loser picks a level, well now the winner already knows both who his opponent will use (since he can't change now) and the level he picked. Now he just needs to pick a character which will excel in both those areas.

The way most tournaments handle counter picking is: [Loser picks stage, Winner picks character, Loser picks character]. This way the loser can try to get a level he's good at (and not necessarily with the character he just used) or one that the opponent's character wouldn't do as well on. Then the winner could either stay with who he used if he thinks he can handle the stage, or switch to someone who suits it better. Then the loser can pick his character to better handle his opponent's character and/or the stage he chose.

In this case, it stays in the loser's advantage since he gets the final pick and has better control of the situation. Say you have a level you like to use for a counterpick, but you only prefer to use a certain character there. With your rules, in order to use that level to your advantage you would have had to play that character in the previous round. And while that character might be a good choice for counter picking, if he's not your main why would you want to use him the first round?

hopefully I wasn't too confusing, but for regular tourney goers, they are used to it already.
If the winner doesn't change his character can the loser still change his character?

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
yep. If people don't want to, they don't have to change a thing. except for what we call "Dave's Stupid Rule" where the same level can't be played twice during any set. Even if it's random or counter picked.

So if you don't care about picking a level, you'd just use random again. Which by the way makes it hard for your opponent to react to it since he won't know what stage will come up, other than it'll be one of the neutrals. Then when he picks his character, you pick one that does well vs it. So even when using "random" as counter pick it's in your favor.

of course the general rule of thumb is, if both players agree to it, it's fine. I've seen sets where people played FD all three matches.

dirty_rice88

Smash Cadet
Lol, I hosted a melee tournament once, and it was pretty much all local kids and the finals was pretty much just on FD.

By the way, have you guys played on a big projector yet? Because i'm thinking about having the finals for doubles and singles on a big projector, but i don't know if it would effect gameplay because the screen is so much bigger.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
There was a tourney series in Brandon that had a projector. Everyone was reluctant to use it at first since they thought it would lag. Surprisingly, it was new/good enough that it wasn't an issue though. Still, some people didn't like the size difference either, or having to look up at the wall instead of strait ahead. It didn't bother me much, but I know most people will insist on a standard TV anyway.

What you could do (if in your power to set up) is have the competitors actually playing on a standard TV, but also have it connected to the projector for the crowd to see. Easiest way I see is having the Wii connect to a VCR, then have it connect to the TV via RF screw in, and connect to the projector via the yellow/red/white cords. As an added bonus you'd be able to record the matches as well, and put them on youtube.

btw, I wasn't trying to bully you into changing your rules or anything. I'd be fine going with the way you have it now, I just wanted you to be aware of what the standard practice is. Also people don't like to deal with change (just look at all the hate on Brawl) so sometimes they'll dismiss a tourney if it isn't run in cookie cutter fashion.

dirty_rice88

Smash Cadet
I don't feel like you were trying to bully me, just giving out some advice. I actually really appreciate your input. I think the standard rules will do just fine. What do you guys think about the counterpick stages? Should i take some out and/or put some in.

I'm really trying to get pinellas county to become more active with smash, because I don't have very many people to play against, so it kind of stops me and some other people from getting better. I went to a gigabits tournament once, and got hizowned. Not because the players were so much better/smarter than me, but because of the experience and technical skill (well i guess that makes them a lot better than me =P). That, and I think i got unlucky with my draw, i faced skrach in the first round (he seemed to be better than average among the majority at the tournament) in the first round and one of my friends in the losers bracket (and choked). I'll probably start having tournaments once a month or so, and start going to other tournaments if my schedule permits it.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
sounds good, I want to try to grow Tampa out as well.

Want to play some Wifi? I'll get online right now and add you in.

My code is 0173-0953-4280

dirty_rice88

Smash Cadet
Ya, your samus was good. I don't really know who i'm going ot main yet either. I'm going between ike, marth, and olimar.

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
I'm really trying to get pinellas county to become more active with smash, because I don't have very many people to play against, so it kind of stops me and some other people from getting better.

Dude, you ever want to smash, PM me. I live in Clearwater, so we shouldn't be that far apart. Seriously, up until the last six months it was just Monk, myself, and big_freddy (not on much) that smashed in the area. I mean, there were others, but none that went out of town somewhat often for tournaments. Really, if you want to play some Smash and I am free, we should. It would be nice to have some competition in my "back yard".

dirty_rice88

Smash Cadet
yeah, we really do need to start getting together. I have about 3 or 4 friends also who want to start playing the game more competitively, but they don't have accounts for smashboards because they're losers. lol. I'm trying to have a smashfest at my house for saturday, but I have to see if I can get anyone to take my shift at work. Anyways, i'll let you guys know more about it tomorrow/friday.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Samus was my main in Melee, though it's a bit weird adjusting to her in Brawl. I'm trying to give her a shot though.

It'd be nice if we got some MWFL Wifi teams matches going. ^_^

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
I am up for Saturday. If everything gets worked out, PM me and maybe I can get Monk and we will head down there.

Since you guys are talking about mains: Link was my main in Melee. But I have no idea who I want to main in Brawl. Sonic is fun to play as, but has little KO options. Zelda is improved, yet weird. Wario is great for obvious reasons. And Link is in just about the same place as before, but without the speed boost from wavedashing and L-canceling. Who knows, I guess it will have to take some time for me to figure this issue out.

dirty_rice88

Smash Cadet
Yeah that would be awesome. I'm going to try and force everyone to exchange brawl friend codes at the tournament, lol.

Oh btw, if you guys can bring a t.v. and/or wii that'd be awesome. I'm more worried about the wiis but it'd be great if you guys can bring whatever you can.

lime_backwards

Smash Lord
I can definitely bring a Wii, and if I can find my power strip (it's around here somewhere...) I will bring it as well.

edit: Yeah, I don't have a TV that I can haul around. I wish I did so I can make more of a contribution, but I don't. Sorry.

Top Bottom