• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lol fsmash

Smash Master
Is it a good idea to throw out random f-smashes during the middle of a match? Most characters can't punish effectively due to Brawl's mechanics (they'll inflict like 15 damage), yet on the extreme offchance you connect (they spotdodge or use an attack with too little range) it's an instant ko. Ever since I started throwing out random fsmashes like three times per match I've become a better player. I know it's usually the reverse. Am I just playing bad opponents or is this an effective strategy?

K 2

Smash Lord
If your playing someone who knows what their doing (i.e. proper spacing, not rolling towards ike when he's fsmashing you, etc.), it probably won't work. However if you could mindgame your opponent into getting him by an fsmash (mix up charged and uncharged smashes if they like to spotdodge), then it would be sorta effective. I don't have much experience with ike, by my friend uses him, so I might not be right...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Random F-Smashes are... iffy.

I know sometimes when I mean to use F-tilt and I throw out an F-Smash instead, it works at times because it was out of the blue, but intentionally they barely if at all work.

You should really only throw out F-Smash if mindgamed into it successfully or if the opponent is completely predictable. Around 110% however, F-tilt is your best friend and F-Smash takes the backseat.

So for your question... not really.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
There are certain situations in which it is a good choice. If they're coming down on you with an aerial strike, it's good sometimes. Also, if they've fallen down and you're near an edge and spaced properly, it's a possibly inescapable situation. Try it as an edgeguard every now and then, too. They will get hit by it sometimes, your choice.

Smash Master
I usually do it between 20 and 45%, because thet's when it gives me the most advantage if it hits.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's best to time it in your absolute advantage. Next to a ledge with them DIing towards you without a double jump is your best chance to do Fsmash IMO. if you think their aerial isn't going to hit you, just time it well after they dodge or whatever to smash them. It could even land a KO if it's 30+ percent (even less near other edges) grabs near edge are pretty reliable for something like this, or if you reach such situation conincidentally

.DON'T use fsmash if they're so close to you they can attack you or dodge and land behind you. That'd be very bad. Also if they have at least another jump or aerial stalling method left.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Ike's F-Smash kills at 55% in the middle of FD on the average middleweight (Mario).

None of his other moves outright kills until 105% when F-tilt does.

I wouldn't suggest busting it out until 50% and you know it'll KO if it hits. F-Smash is great if it hits on the first time you use it (seeing as it has 105% power the first time you use it). 20% is far too low to be using it. It won't kill that low unless it's fully charged.

However, only use it when you -know- you have a chance to hit and your opponent isn't very aware. F-Smash is used to put things in your advantage, not as a reliable kill move.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Light's List of Fsmash Uses:

- Punish rollers
- Punish excessive spotdodgers
- Punish recoveries that don't sweetspot the edge
- Punish ledge get up attacks by outranging
- Punish grounded get up attacks by outranging
- Drop Shield->Fsmash (Kirk Combo)
- Stutter Step Fsmash for Surprising Range
- Aerial attack barrier
- Jab->Jab 2->Fsmash (Light combo! [Except not really!])
- Reach platforms above you
- Fully charged Fsmash breaks Kirby's Stone move
- Punish freefall
- Quick Draw Slide+Fsmash

Tadah.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
One of my favorite uses of Fsmash is to whip it out if someone is approaching aerially, so that if they whiff, they eat fsmash to the face.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
My personal favorite is the fsmash aimed the other way after pressuring someone into a corner, just jab a few times, i tend to do jab 1, jab 2, jab 1, then just let it rip the other way <_<

zealotscout

Smash Apprentice
the cheapest fsmash u can ever get is , when , u die and your opponent taunts you with a laggy taunt lol , and yea you come out and fsmash him and instant ko , that is a brawl funny moment for sure.xD , mind games with fsmash is good also , rollers , those are my pointers * punish taunts thats a zealotscout strategy * xDDDD

Top Bottom