• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Locked and Closed] Pocket Monsters Incorporated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mewter

Smash Master
Well guys, I won't be able to work on this game over the summer.
The reason is that I won't have the computer the project is on around with me, so I can't develop it.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Nice job Mewter! And wow, my sprite made it into the first battle screenshot.

edit: oh rats..

Mewter

Smash Master
Alright, so now it seems I will be able to use this computer for the summer.
The only problem is that it will be worked on very slowly, since a lot of my other time will be taken up. :laugh:

Pretty funny story actually.

Mewter

Smash Master
I just found out that making such a game like this technically goes against Nintendo's copyright and trademark. I won't be working on it anymore.

:urg:

rockem7

Smash Ace
No one listens to copyright laws anymore...Haha, I'm just kidding. That's really too bad though, this would have been pretty cool.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I just found out that making such a game like this technically goes against Nintendo's copyright and trademark. I won't be working on it anymore.

:urg:
Technically you can go like

Bla bla bla bla copyright Nintendo/Gamefreak bla bla bla

As long as you point to copyrights, then you technically can't get in trouble.

Also, Nintendo is the most lenient company when it comes to non-current gen ANYTHING, and seeing as how this isn't a Wii or DS thing, Nintendo literally doesn't care. See the SMW hacking scene as an example, there's no way in hell Nintendo DOESN'T know it exists, but they let them do their thing.

I say keep on going.

Mewter

Smash Master
Eh, I'll think about it.

I feel like playing it safe, honestly. lol

Mewter

Smash Master
It wouldn't. It's still technically illegal even if you take that precaution (if I'm correct, which I hope I'm not.)

I'm aware that Nintendo doesn't care.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Oh come on. Are you kidding? Millions of people do this sort of thing all the time. nintendo doesn't even care any more. If they did, nearly every single gamer would be in jail. I mean look at them. almost all of them download roms illegally, make hacks and do many more things. Hell, wouldn't spriting be illegal due the fact that we really don't credit Nintendo/game freak as the creators of the characters that we're borrowing?

Even though Nintendo say that they care by making it a bit harder for people who pirate games to play them, I've never heard of them cracking down on these guys. If you can make a game where you literally take a while region from the game, change the characters a bit and replace pokemon with little girls that look like dolls and not go to jail, then why not make an intirely new region (or I suppose it is right?) make new characters, change the mechanics around and put sprites, more than half of which are original, in it. And to escape potential lawsuits, just put credit where credit is due like the guys on youtube do when they out on music or a parody of a show
Problem solved. No need to stop the game really

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
The "they don't care" argument is iffy. True, they don't seem to care; if direct ROMhacks don't get in trouble, a fangame probably wouldn't. However, if Nintendo decides one day that they do care, that's a problem, because if a huge company like Nintendo tries to sue you, they've got the lawyers to do so and they could sue you for a ton of money.

Simply giving credit doesn't necessarily solve everything; asking permission would be the only thing that could completely preclude him from legal trouble. If anything could be used in legal defense, it's probably the doctrine of Fair Use, but it still doesn't guarantee anything as "Fair Use" is fairly loosely defined.

I'd really love for the fangame to continue, but if Mewter wants to play it safe, it's up to him. He's the one who would be potentially in danger of a lawsuit.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Remember when that one Gameboy ROM site went down? And when Nintendo threatened to sue the living daylights out of Syntax Error?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
At least Nintendo isn't as bad as Square Enix where they wait until you've worked on a romhack for 6 years and mere weeks before release they force you to stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom