• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Live & Learn: Sonic Tournament Results

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
NeoNebulous BETA Wii U
http://smashboards.com/rankings/neonebulous-beta-wiiu.4032/event
January 11th, 2015
Out of 25
7th - Camalange
:4sonic:

Feeling much better, despite making 2 really stupid SD's this tournament which is really unlike me... I overall played a lot better and had a clear mindset. Played a lot more patiently and precisely.

I was on stream a lot and did commentary too, so I'll be sharing my sets once they're uploaded. Bopped some Shulk, then played the Shulk, John Numbers, and had a really close set until I threw away the last round (Stupid SD #1) so lost that one 1-2. Played Dark.Pch in a really close set, but I managed to take it 2-0, then the only set that was worth reviewing that didn't make it on stream was vs. Mike Kirby. Never got to play him before so it was good experience, but I also had an awful SD in that set despite doing pretty well overall.

The only people I lost to both took top 3, so there's that. Oh well. I had fun and played well, plus it's hard to be salty when I make at least top 8.

Cama as well.
Yup, yup.

:093:

Auroura

Smash Cadet
NNID
Auroura
Cool Hands Cafe Smash Bros for Wii U Tournament
Jan 10th 2015
Out of 38
4th- Auroura:4sonic:, :4bowserjr:

There was another Sonic that placed in the tournament and got 3rd. I can't remember his smash tag though. I'll be posting the videos of the matches. The quality isn't that good and the videos aren't really edited. I'll be needing lots of critique on my Sonic. I switched to Bowser Jr on games I lost because I've had more experience playing him than my Sonic.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Cool Hands Cafe Smash Bros for Wii U Tournament
Jan 10th 2015
Out of 38
4th- Auroura:4sonic:, :4bowserjr:

There was another Sonic that placed in the tournament and got 3rd. I can't remember his smash tag though. I'll be posting the videos of the matches. The quality isn't that good and the videos aren't really edited. I'll be needing lots of critique on my Sonic. I switched to Bowser Jr on games I lost because I've had more experience playing him than my Sonic.
It was me.

Though the only reason I haven't posted yet is that the TO hasn't put up a bracket, AFAIK.

Auroura

Smash Cadet
NNID
Auroura
Yeah. I'm not certain they are ever going to at this point. Should probably ask but I don't think it's on their top priority list at the moment.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Last month in December I got 5th place out of 35 people in an offline tournament, though I didn't use Sonic in all matches. Will use him again next Saturday and see how it goes.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
The Blast Zone #4.
http://vegassmash.challonge.com/theblastzone4
January 22nd, 2015
Out of 23:
1st - Kinzer ( :4sonic: )
5th - Gabriel ( :4sonic: )

Technically there was suppose to be 24,; but, the guy who probably would've taken first this tournament had to work and he showed up so late he got double DQ'd.

So I took it instead! <3

It isn't easy, though. Having to actually read people's habits and punish. I get scurred 'cause I've never been a contender for one of Vegas' better players until Smash 4 came about. I had the jitters, yes.

I'll post the vidjos up once Ankoku puts 'em up. I especially love my set Vs. Z's Pikachu.

Edit: It's worth mentioning that a guy name Gabriel also played Sonic a majority of the time and placed into 5th. In fact, he was the one to put SK into the loser's side of the bracket. Gave me confidence in that fight knowing that I had some extra leeway.

Last edited:

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I don't have the results, since only the top part of it was put into Challonge, but there was probably a good 40+ people for a tourney I went to. Started off with FFAs with no items, FD only, 3 stock and 7 minutes. Almost got cheesed out a couple times, but the ending top 10 was singles Best of 1.

Took 1st. Met a couple of people that may have some potential. I'll have another result if we decide to do brackets today.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I don't have the results, since only the top part of it was put into Challonge, but there was probably a good 40+ people for a tourney I went to. Started off with FFAs with no items, FD only, 3 stock and 7 minutes. Almost got cheesed out a couple times, but the ending top 10 was singles Best of 1.

Took 1st. Met a couple of people that may have some potential. I'll have another result if we decide to do brackets today.
lol

Sounds a lot like my college Smash tournaments that I always win. I only met one person at my school who's good at Smash, but he's mostly just Melee :/

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
HavenSmash 2
http://challonge.com/HavenSmash2_Smash4_Singles
January 17th, 2015

Singles
2nd out of 37
Doubles
4th out of 12
:4sonic: + (Teammate :4megaman:)

Doubles went south real fast due to my constant SDs. It basically been the bane of my doubles career in smash 4 as of late, but it something im aiming to rectify for future tournaments

As for singles playing ZSS offline for the first time and barring witness to her UP-B took me by surprise. On top of her very high and fast jump also made it difficult for me to establish an sort of stage control as well as going for followups. Matches were recorded and i'll post them soon so hopefully any of you guys can help me dissect them so i can find a way around this MU. Currently thats the only MU i'm stumped on other than sheik tbh. :s

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
NeoNebulous BETA 2.0 Wii U
http://smashboards.com/rankings/neonebulous-beta-2-0-wiiu-singles.4384/event
January 11th, 2015
Out of 42
9th - Camalange

Lost to a Diddy game 1 which was unfortunate, as I felt I could've won it. I just need more experience in that match-up, surprisingly. Jtails put in some practice with me later and helped me out with it. He also prepped me with Luigi knowledge for my Apex pool.

I had to eliminate Trent and Blue Terrorist from Losers right after which is always unfortunate when it comes down to that... (Trent doesn't use Sonic anymore so at least it wasn't back to back mirrors, lol). Beat a solid Sheik player which I was happy about, and then had a set on stream with Zee (he's ZEE Villager lol) which was a lot of fun. Really close set that went to round 3, but I psyched myself out on his Lylat counterpick and airdodged past the ledge like an idiot.

Also, people were really caught offguard by this, but if Villager wants the bowling ball edgeguard, just recover low and time a spring. The startup invincibility will send you right through it unscathed. I pulled it off twice which made him stop going for it. Something people should utilize if they haven't already. Hopefully that makes its way to YouTube but my 3 sets on stream from the last one still haven't :/

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
*Comment about BB edgeguard.*

I trust your advice; but, my only issue is that trying to recover low, at least in my case, meant that I messed up/had no other choice. It's certainly not an ideal scenario with Sonic who has a relatively good recovery. Maybe not Brawl good; but, not 95% flawed bad either.

After a certain point, you're forced to shoot upward or face the risk of falling short of grabbing the ledge. Given that they have control of when to release the BB, I'm not so sure if such a timing can be achieved with relative consistency.

Perhaps you do indeed have visual demonstration recorded?

I know I do, anyway. Tony did a good job in posting the videos from TBZ#4. I'm gonna post 'em in the other thread, hold up.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I trust your advice; but, my only issue is that trying to recover low, at least in my case, meant that I messed up/had no other choice. It's certainly not an ideal scenario with Sonic who has a relatively good recovery. Maybe not Brawl good; but, not 95% flawed bad either.

After a certain point, you're forced to shoot upward or face the risk of falling short of grabbing the ledge. Given that they have control of when to release the BB, I'm not so sure if such a timing can be achieved with relative consistency.

Perhaps you do indeed have visual demonstration recorded?
Recovering low is a pretty damn solid mix-up on recovery. Obviously you can't do it all the time, but Sonic snaps to the ledge now, dude. Like, Sonic can Up-B THROUGH the bowling ball and grab the ledge so if you can bait them to do the bowling ball by putting yourself in range for it then recover with ease.

Like I said, the two times I did it in set it worked with no punishment, so if that makes its way to YouTube I'll share.

If not, I'll eventually just link to the timecode on Twitch for all my past matches that haven't made it up yet (I have like 4 on the backburner rn...)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Kind of late reply to this, but 2 Kirbys in top 5? Have to say im surprised at that, ill need to look into this MikeKirby, since it seems Kirby still has some pretty decent fighting power left in him!

:059:
You've never heard of MikeKirby? He's been around since Brawl. I don't think I've been to a Sm4sh tournament yet where he hasn't taken top 5 or top 3. He's the best one out there.

Kirby is really solid this time around. I don't think Kirby is anything particularly outstanding but he has strong tools and Mike's patience and spacing is enough to just fit his playstyle perfectly.

I didn't even notice there was another Kirby in top 5... I'm pretty sure I recognize that tag and I only remember seeing his Diddy so there's that...

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
You've never heard of MikeKirby? He's been around since Brawl. I don't think I've been to a Sm4sh tournament yet where he hasn't taken top 5 or top 3. He's the best one out there.

Kirby is really solid this time around. I don't think Kirby is anything particularly outstanding but he has strong tools and Mike's patience and spacing is enough to just fit his playstyle perfectly.

I didn't even notice there was another Kirby in top 5... I'm pretty sure I recognize that tag and I only remember seeing his Diddy so there's that...

Need I remind you I wasnt around till after Brawl died :p

Anyway, looked up the MikeKirby vs JTails match. Sweet jesus, I kind of wanna play Kirby again now.

:059:

NNID
MasterHavik
I still need to go to an event. You guys really stack the deck against me. I want to do well. anyway there is a school in my area called Alan. He is pretty good with Sonic too.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
While you're at it, unless I'm looking in the wrong places, I believe some of my previous entries didn't get logged onto the OP.

Would you please make sure that it isn't just me being a dumb-dumb?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
little mac why

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
SAMPEX
http://hypebr.challonge.com/
01/31/15 - 02/01/15
Out of 86 (probably less, due to some people not showing up and people who re-entered on the second day)
2nd - Sonic Orochi :4sonic:

Pretty happy with the results, considering that I was only aiming for top 10 initially.

Lost to the top BR player so I'm not mad or anything, but I officially hate the Sheik matchup now lol

I'll post the vids in the respective thread whenever I'm done discussing with some TOs about who's gonna upload what and when.

Last edited:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
How exactly does re-entry work by the 2nd day when the tournament has already progressed to what I assume to be the pro-bracket? ?_?

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Top 8 from day 1 + top 8 from day 2 = top 16 bracket.

If someone lost in the first day, they could retry in the second one.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Huh... buying your way into bracket, eh~...?

That... actually isn't a bad idea. If people are willing to pay more for more chances to break outta pools, that shouldn't stop 'em.

Reksho

Smash Cadet
NNID
Reksho
3DS FC
3840-5902-9293

SonicX2k0

Smash Rookie
NNID
SonicX2k0
3DS FC
5413-0219-1286
I know this is kind of late and I really really apologize about this is anyone going to the fantasy game smash 4 tournament today it's in Mahwah New Jersey ? Also I'll be entering in as well if there's any videos I do I can do my best to post it here. Once again I'm sorry for not telling anyone early before I've been very very busy with work and I was told about this very last minute I am very sorry again

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
TGZ Singles Smash Wii U
2/37/15
Out of 48
21th - Funker Monster :4greninja:, :4sonic: most of the time, but also :4megaman: and :4duckhunt: in at least one set each

Had a hard time fighting a Shiek player game 1, and got obliterated when he switched to Diddy. At the end, I had a little with a Falco and took him out eventually, but couldn't do much when he changed to Fox and knocked me out of the tournament. I am not satisfied with today's tournament at all, I haven't practiced much with Sonic lately and I felt I've been performing worse than usual, especially when it comes to recovering and stopping them from recovering. My edgeguarding has been kinda sloppy lately and I let them come back too easily (Fox and Falco especially), and whe I am recovering myself, I find my ledge options getting me in trouble whenever I was the one coming back. Not to mention my landing options are awful and I have a weakness for gettng grabbed, I got hit nearly every time I got back on the ground or got smacked with Uairs, and I found myself getting grabbed quite a lot of times.

I didn't even get far enough to play on stream :crying:.... Admittedly, all of my opponents who beat me got pretty damn far themselves in the Top 10, and nearly all the top players in my area were there, but that hardly makes me feel any better.

Attachments

juddy96

Smash Lord
Apex 2015

Final Bracket

4th - 6WX

Drowned in Round 2 Pools

33rd - StaticManny
49th - CFS | True Blue
49th - SuperGirlKels
49th - NS Seagull Joe
65th - DAMU