• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Live & Learn: Sonic Tournament Results

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Everyone and their top 3 placings. Making me wish I went to a smaller tournament instead for free $$$

:093:

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I'll add the results up in a moment. Been slacking because of all the Wii U hype.

The_Giant_Peach

Smash Apprentice
Going to a local tournament tomorrow in Saskatoon Canada (called Smashkatoon Monthly) going to be repping sonic. Not that anybody cares TOO much but wish me luck

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Going to a local tournament tomorrow in Saskatoon Canada (called Smashkatoon Monthly) going to be repping sonic. Not that anybody cares TOO much but wish me luck
Good luck!

Make sure to report back.

D

Deleted member

I'm kind of a week late on this but I'm maining sonic in S4, heres the first Wii U tourney in DFW:
http://tloc.challonge.com/shockwave8 2nd - :4sonic:only

I'm going to be playing smash 4 tomorrow as well on TLOC

Last edited by a moderator:

The_Giant_Peach

Smash Apprentice
Got 10th out of 24. Honestly though I died to a glitch in lylat. Had my opponent at 140% back threw them. And back throw just didn't work. I celebrated because I assumed the game would work and then I got killed. So salty

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Can you explain the glitch exactly?

The_Giant_Peach

Smash Apprentice
Can you explain the glitch exactly?

Ya I can, I was on lylat cruise under the leftmost platform. King dedede was at 140% I ran up to him from the left edge and grabbed him then I clicked backwards to do a back throw and win the match, sonic did one back flip and then the throw just stopped and set us both to just standing. I was distracted and he killed me.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I know that Lylat's edges **** up people's recoveries and stuff, which in part made it a good counterpick for Sonic in Brawl since he couldn't sweetspot Up-B anyway. What a jank stage, haha.

The_Giant_Peach

Smash Apprentice
I know that Lylat's edges **** up people's recoveries and stuff, which in part made it a good counterpick for Sonic in Brawl since he couldn't sweetspot Up-B anyway. What a jank stage, haha.

Also happened to me in a fresh stock!

Also I checked out the tournament results I actually got 7th so good for me Ahaha. Although it should have been at least 5th or 6th

NNID
Kid Craft 24
3DS FC
3823-8516-6187
HavenSmash
November 28, 2014
Singles
http://challonge.com/HavenSmash_Smash4_singles
1st ouf of 32
:4sonic: - HSG Kid Craft

Doubles
http://challonge.com/HavenSmash_Smash4_Doubles
1st out of 11
Team name Blue Explosions
:4sonic: + (teammate):4megaman:

4v4
http://challonge.com/HavenSmash_4V4
1st out of 4
Team Grocery bag
:4sonic:/:4pacman:/:4megaman:+ Teammates ( :4megaman:/:4jigglypuff:+:4luigi:/:4wario2:+:4fox:/:4falcon:)

figured i'd throw in my 4v4 results.

There was also a tournament the week prior held in MA that had about 20-23 people where i placed 2nd in singles and 1st in doubles but the results nor the bracket were posted anywhere.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
So I didn't realize it, but placing in KTAR improves my seeding for Apex...

... Welp, guess I gotta go to that now.

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
Seeing everyone get all these amazing placings is making me slightly more nervous for when I get to a sm4sh tourney 0-o

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Seeing everyone get all these amazing placings is making me slightly more nervous for when I get to a sm4sh tourney 0-o
Just focus on doing the best you can do and learning from the experience. Have you ever gone to any other Smash tournaments before?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yea ive been to quite a few melee, pm ones before. Placed horribly throughout but am hoping to change that in 4
Well, there is your problem.

You're not gonna get anywhere in Melee because you're on average a decade behind the metagame.

And P:Meh is bad an extension of the aforementioned game.

Last edited:

jordanm43444

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jordanm43444
Well, there is your problem.

You're not gonna get anywhere in Melee because you're on average a decade behind the metagame.

And P:Meh is bad an extension of the aforementioned game.
Yea that is the reason Ive put it down to, I am way to behind in Melee and PM so obviously im not going to do spectacular which is why I want into smash 4 tournies as quick as possible to get into the metagame.

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
Everything is updated. Let me know if anything is missing.

Edit. I think I'll leave the 4v4 out for now. Least until it gets bigger. Maybe I'll add a section in the future.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Nebulous Smash Weekly 17
December 7th, 2014
13th out of 46 entrants
:4sonic:

Challonge Results - http://challonge.com/NebSmash17WIIU/standings

I should've played better today, but oh well.

Lost to a Rosalina 2-1 because sometimes I just straight up don't know what I'm supposed to do really. I need to research.

Lost to an Ike 2-1 which felt much more deserved, but I still feel dumb because I usually died for stupid reasons, like homing attacking into something. I adapted decently but Ike is so much harder to edgeguard now. I really don't know. You can still Bair stagespike if you space and time it right, but he teched it anyway. Plus, post patch he's much faster now. Fair just autocancels and combos into ****. Good player though and I felt on point with tech chasing and things like that, and my neutral game was the best it had been all day. Felt really good about my usage of jabs and Ftilt... But...

Ultimately, I realized I have these dumb Brawl instincts still. It held me back today. Like, I pummel and Uthrow too much still when Sonic has kill throws now. I should be using F-Throw and less pummels but my stupid habits come back. Even the round I won, I killed with U-throw which was still dumb because it was more of a risk. F-Throw would've been guaranteed. And now that Sonic slows down even more drastically when he hits shields, I just can't tell when that's going to happen or not, and sometimes I can SDJ past shield and be fine, but I would die to OoS Bair or just got hit by it way too much.

The match can be watched here around 1:48:00 if anyone's interested. Doesn't help that the commentary bias and bandwagon was for Ike.

I'm still playing this game like it's Brawl sometimes. I need to put more time and research into this. At least I'm still getting experience from the occasional tournaments I guess... Now I just need more time.

tl;dr

QQ i did okay

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Wait, pummels are bad now?

Fthrow is awesome indeed. Incredibly satisfying landing that kick to the groin and seeing the opponents explode as they hit the stars.

You should use SC and not jump on shield in order to mixup a bit. This will force people who are conditioned to jump after we hit their shields with SD to adapt and if they don't, they'll be prone to mess up more. SC->HA is good against those kind of people, too.

Also, Uthrow isn't as good now but it still helps a lot with Spring->Uair setups. At low %s: single/double jump Uair; mid %s (~60%): Spring->Uair; high %s: aerial Spring->read (Uair after they airdodge, etc).

And I'd use more Springs when gimping Ike. His side B got buffed but his vertical recovery is still **** against Springs.

I don't know if we can spike him like we can against Fox's Illusion, but it's certainly worth a try.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Wait, pummels are bad now?
Not so much that they're bad, but I forget that this isn't Brawl and people can die now. Like, I'm so used to pummeling for percent and just Dthrowing to get them offstage or something, but now Sonic can kill with Fthrow easy at 140% and it's easier to break out of pummel so when they're that high I should just grab>Fthrow and call it a day. Old habits die hard.
You should use SC and not jump on shield in order to mixup a bit. This will force people who are conditioned to jump after we hit their shields with SD to adapt and if they don't, they'll be prone to mess up more. SC->HA is good against those kind of people, too.
SC > HA is good against some people, especially projectile users, but damn dude you gotta know exactly when to do it against Ike because you will eat a hard punish. I should've HA'd less in that match-up.
Also, Uthrow isn't as good now but it still helps a lot with Spring->Uair setups. At low %s: single/double jump Uair; mid %s (~60%): Spring->Uair; high %s: aerial Spring->read (Uair after they airdodge, etc).
Uthrow is still viable, I'm just not utilizing it the way I should be for this game. I need to Fthrow more now which I almost never had to use in Brawl other for throwing off opponents DI who are adjusted to Uthrow.
And I'd use more Springs when gimping Ike. His side B got buffed but his vertical recovery is still **** against Springs.
It's free damage but barely a gimping option (at least I couldn't get it, idk). If you watch the video I land a few but Ike can still handle it pretty fine.
I don't know if we can spike him like we can against Fox's Illusion, but it's certainly worth a try.
Sorta? You can with his UpB but like I said, he tech'd it the one time I landed it so womp

I'll look more into it. Not trying to sound like a John, I need to learn it. I think his recovery options are definitely buffed now though so it's not as laughable as Brawl by any means. Like, you can't just spring SideB lol he can UpB afterword now. That's the big thing because his UpB comes anywhere in contact with you and just ****s your ****.

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
tbqh, I think that your choices for the HAs weren't optimal. Not to bash you or anything but there were times (like that Eruption edgeguard) that I just knew what was going to happen.

Most of the time those weren't HAs being punished, but, instead, were HAs into attacks. See 1:50:07 for instance (and the last stock on 3rd match): he was expecting you to jump out of the ledge - and you did, but you also used a quick charge HA, which didn't really change your trajectory or timing at all, right? Ideally, HA should be used as a pace changer, because practically anything can defeat it in a clash - that's why it's best to use it when they don't expect you to follow that specific path or in that specific timing. Like using it to stall a landing for example. I know this sounds easier in theory but that's the main gist of it.

1:55:48 - Hm, forgot to mention but this seems another way to deal with those "auto Bair on shield" opponents - just use HA after the double jump (maybe).

1:59:49 - That HA on shield - do you remember if you held forward after the hit? I remember being able to go sideways away from the opponent much farther than that.

Sorta? You can with his UpB but like I said, he tech'd it the one time I landed it so womp
Sorry, by spike I meant the Dair meteor.

1:51:20, 1:51:47, 1:57:19, 1:57:32, 1:58:07: 2:00:22, 2:01:10, 2:01:15, 2:01:20 - Springs here.

Use Springs -> force him to recover higher -> if he recovers at stage height, go for Dair spikes -> when he recovers above you, punish accordingly (possibly (hyphen) Usmash or just run and grab).

Just thought of this: what if we stand near the edge with our shield up (and maybe tilting it towards him)? Does Ike's side B hit the shield and he falls below the edge (ready to eat some Springs)?

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
tbqh, I think that your choices for the HAs weren't optimal. Not to bash you or anything but there were times (like that Eruption edgeguard) that I just knew what was going to happen.
No, I know. Like I said, I felt stupid doing it because I regretted it immediately. Usually I know how to bait an option and then punish the reaction with HA, but I just couldn't get it to click the whole match. I tried challenging things too much, like hoping the HA would hit first or arc better instead of going with my gut. idk why honestly.
1:55:48 - Hm, forgot to mention but this seems another way to deal with those "auto Bair on shield" opponents - just use HA after the double jump (maybe).
That sounds really risky too... Just being suspended in the air like that. I could sometimes FF the SDJ to avoid things but sometimes I'd just FF into it.
1:59:49 - That HA on shield - do you remember if you held forward after the hit? I remember being able to go sideways away from the opponent much farther than that.
I remember holding away like all the time out of fear. It's pretty instinctual at this point.
Sorry, by spike I meant the Dair meteor.
I'm honestly just not confident with Dair meteor yet. I barely ever get it.
Use Springs -> force him to recover higher -> if he recovers at stage height, go for Dair spikes -> when he recovers above you, punish accordingly (possibly (hyphen) Usmash or just run and grab).
I just didn't know how to adapt to it mid-match.

The Side-B goes far and has very little landing lag. Plus being able to UpB after it now, even after it lands a hit, just makes it an all around better option this game and I just wasn't sure when to intercept or challenge.
Just thought of this: what if we stand near the edge with our shield up (and maybe tilting it towards him)? Does Ike's side B hit the shield and he falls below the edge (ready to eat some Springs)?
Maybe? The UpB followup is still really good though if you're not able to sneak a spring in between there.

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Is I bad I know where your avatar is from? My friend show it to me a couple days ago haha
That's not bad at all, haha. It's really new so I'm not surprised it was pointed out.

It's a really cool music video. Really strange, but incredibly well made. Bizarre and not safe from work, yes, but it's entertaining as hell and I think it has a good message at it's core... But most people won't see beyond the well... Ya know... To notice.

EDIT: Also, I'm in love with CMYK and the fact that the blue matches the premium colors and her eyes look like Haunter was really just too perfect to not make it my avatar.

Last edited:

SilverAvion

Smash Ace
NNID
AvionSeal
3DS FC
0447-6098-0944
That's not bad at all, haha. It's really new so I'm not surprised it was pointed out.

It's a really cool music video. Really strange, but incredibly well made. Bizarre and not safe from work, yes, but it's entertaining as hell and I think it has a good message at it's core... But most people won't see beyond the well... Ya know... To notice.

EDIT: Also, I'm in love with CMYK and the fact that the blue matches the premium colors and her eyes look like Haunter was really just too perfect to not make it my avatar.

OK so I'm new to the SmashBoard and was recommended to check it out, so plz ignore any mistakes.

Camalange could you give me the name of said Music Video (I can't find it...)

On the topic at hand, will there be any more tournaments on 3DS?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
OK so I'm new to the SmashBoard and was recommended to check it out, so plz ignore any mistakes.
Welcome to the boards.
Camalange could you give me the name of said Music Video (I can't find it...)
The official site is here but I'm sure you can find mirrors for it on Vimeo or YouTube.

The song is ME!ME!ME! feat. daoko by TeddyLoid.
On the topic at hand, will there be any more tournaments on 3DS?
I'm sure there will be smaller circles, but Wii U will definitely be the main platform for Sm4sh.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Maybe? The UpB followup is still really good though if you're not able to sneak a spring in between there.

Just so we're updated here: it doesn't work. Ike's cooldown on his side B was drastically reduced - he'll grab the ledge after the move is shielded.

Oh, and he goes into freefall from his side B only if he doesn't hit anything at all. Otherwise, he'll be able to use Aether after it.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Just so we're updated here: it doesn't work. Ike's cooldown on his side B was drastically reduced - he'll grab the ledge after the move is shielded.

Oh, and he goes into freefall from his side B only if he doesn't hit anything at all. Otherwise, he'll be able to use Aether after it.
I TOLD YOU

HAH

HIS RECOVERY IS GOOD

Not only is the cooldown drastically reduced, but SideB can clear like the whole ****ing screen.

>_>

Top Bottom