• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little white lies to children

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
I personally believe lying is situational. Let's see two examples from my childhood. My real name is replaced with "V".

Example 1: V, at Easter times a bunny gives you lots and lots of eggs!
This is fine, it allows children to use their imagination. The Easter Bunny, Santa, the age-old "where do babies come from" question and death/"just sleeping" are all OK to lie about to children.

Example 2: *passing a McDonalds and i've asked if we can go* V, we can't go to the McDonalds because it is closed.
WRONG. This is just getting a child off your back. Why can't you just say "No, because we don't have any money"? Questions for 8 years is the risk you take by D.I.Y.ing or adopting a kid.

If you are gonna lie to a kid, then THINK. "Is this the right situation?"
Would it be acceptable to say, "You can't go to McDonalds because that's not actually Mcdonalds, it's Optimus Prime in hiding!" It allows children to use their imagination.

The babies and death issues also can come under "getting a child off your back".

Getting kids to use their imagination and getting them off your back aren't distinct, some lies come under both categories. What would you suggest in these situations?

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Because sometimes, it's simply easier to make things up in order to get him to do what I want him to do. He's still at an age where concepts like "the truth" are meaningless to him anyway.

EDIT- for eample, I tell lies like this one:

White lies to me would be like "no you can't go to the zoo, it is closed today" (even though it isn't really closed).
because it's way easier than explaining things.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Because sometimes, it's simply easier to make things up in order to get him to do what I want him to do. He's still at an age where concepts like "the truth" are meaningless to him anyway.

EDIT- for eample, I tell lies like this one:

because it's way easier than explaining things.
Yeah I thought many parents would do so.
I still find nothing wrong with it, and I still stand by my arguments above.
But I do acknowledge that its all conditional.

\/aarsivius

Smash Cadet
Would it be acceptable to say, "You can't go to McDonalds because that's not actually Mcdonalds, it's Optimus Prime in hiding!" It allows children to use their imagination.

Just to clear things up, who the **** is Optimus Prime? Also, no.

The babies and death issues also can come under "getting a child off your back".

Possibly, but some people (like me) get trauma from knowing that their parents lied to them. I have Aspergers Syndrome, which kinda allows me to have two seperate minds-my child mind and my adult mind-and switch between them. A child needs to know about this stuff before they find out accidentally, by playing stuff like MW2. That makes it even worse, because they will WANT to kill people because it is fun in the game. But THAT issue (MW2) is suitable for another thread.

Getting kids to use their imagination and getting them off your back aren't distinct, some lies come under both categories. What would you suggest in these situations?

T'would depend on the situation.
My answers are in red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom