• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac, W.V.B.A. Champion confirmed for SSB4

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
ALRIGHT!

So now that I got over the shock for a bit, I'm just going to say what's been on my mind.

1st of all, trailer reactions:
-Little Mac is buffed as HELL. He got some serious training done with Doc!
-He's ridiculously FAST! He might give Sonic a little run for his money!
-The POWER gimmick from Super Punch Out! Definitely a curveball.
-I just love how he's basically a traditional Fighting Game character-like character in SSB.
-Doc Louis' dialogue, nuff said.
-Ridiculous recovery, but to be expected since he's a BEAST in everything else.
-Did Little Mac just ran under Mario's fireballs?
-Did Little Mac just ran through Megaman's fully charged shot!?
-Jesus christ Mac baby RELAX!!!!
-Noticed they changed every SMASH BROS. logo and text in the boxing ring into corresponding PUNCH OUT ones.
-Samus seems to love teasing Mac... Like a lot. Back in Brawl, and at the start and end of this trailer.
-LITTLE MAC eats through projectiles!!!

Other thoughts:
His power meter goes up when he hits, most likely. So in exchange it should go down when he gets hit.
Little Mac's icon is the same glove that appears in MTPO when you press start at the title screen.
Love the Arcade version of Little Mac in his profile art piece.
A punch out arcade cabinet in Doc's gym? XD

There's a lot to take in. There's a lot of details everywhere. I can't seem to put my thoughts into a specific order.
Little Mac is BEASTLY! His punches sound freaking sexy! Every character in the game feels violated when a single punch from this guy lands. I mean... omg.

And finally... Mac eating chocolate with Doc. XD

Can't believe 2 of my 3 most wanted characters are in! This calls for a cross-celebration.

Wait.... what?

Having a bit of Ad trouble here. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

MopedOfJustice

Smash Lord
NNID
MopedOfJustice
Let one thing be clear. I am no hater. Only love for Little Mac. This is simply about how diverse his move set can be while still staying true to his game. It seems like its going well :roll:
You have to appreciate how they didn't even steal from other fighters.

Also, to all you calling him an outfighter:
It's the trailer, of course they're going to focus on him beating people up. However, his NB is another Counter, and it looks like there is little lag on his rolls and spot dodges, or at the very least there is an emphasis on using them to punish.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
I still cant believe it, the newcomer i pushed for so hard during brawls era is now here in all his glory. I was so excited i couldnt even finish my work after seeing that trailer. He looks perfect too, in every possible way. And it looks like he might have that risk reward gimmick like i mentioned a while back, since the charge meter looks like it gets its buff from taking blows. This is just truly an awesome day, bust out the champagne people, little mac is now among the sport of kings.

Also i was a bit disappointed with a few things from this game before this, but here was my reaction as soon as i saw mac training.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Dude, after this trailer, I'm now convinced, this game is FAST!
Melee shmelee, Little Mac seems like he was stripped off the Melee that never was, and brought HERE.
He's crazy fast, and crazy strong!

Ship it. Ship it! Ship it all night and ship it all day.
Already did... :D

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
You know what *I'm* most happy about? He looks exactly like I wanted him to, and better!

Like. Whoa, Sakurai and team sure did a good job there!

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Dude, after this trailer, I'm now convinced, this game is FAST!
Melee shmelee, Little Mac seems like he was stripped off the Melee that never was, and brought HERE.
He's crazy fast, and crazy strong!

Already did... :D
He looks like he was made for Melee.....
BUT GEEZ.
He looks like he INVENTED MELEE.
Seriously?! Imagine him in Project M in Turbo Mode.
Combo. Hell.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, Congrats, Lil' Mac supporters. The most likely newcomer for SSB4 got confirmed which is encouraging.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
You mean like Mario's "boring and easy to use" style? Or maybe Marth's "I have a sword, yes I do" style? Or, my favorite, Sonic's "spin ****ing EVERYTHING" style? No, wait, my favorite is probably Zelda's "generic mage" style or Sheik's "generic ninja" style.

Y'all haters be trippin'.
Well technically, they're not, as trippin' has been removed.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Dude, if the Pink Jumpsuit isn't an alt for him, I'm going to be super disappointed.

Sakurai's smart though, and considering it was all up in that trailer, I'll bet we haven't seen the last of it.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Alright, so now that Mac's in, if you had to choose ANOTHER Punch Out character who would it be?
Personally I would go with King Hippo.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Yeah, the jumpsuit could also make a good intro.

The whole "Doc rides in on the bike, and Mac follows him, before stopping and taking off the jump suit preparing to fight" thing works extremely well.

Sinn

Smash Lord
Well, everyone else has expressed my feels already, but I'll echo them by saying I'm extremely glad to finally see Mac in all his awesomeness. I think out of everything they showed in the trailer, I'm most interested by the way he was able to leap through projectiles...it's like a combination air dodge attack. Definitely looking forward to playing him.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I noticed that!

I thought "Jeez, is the Punch-Out!! logo sparkling or something?". I thought maybe it had something to do with the attack; I hadn't thought that it was just a product of the video being sped up.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I guess one question who here has the urge to play every punch out on there systems and emulators for the celebration of mac being confirmed

Who's with me on this

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I guess one question who here has the urge to play every punch out on there systems and emulators for the celebration of mac being confirmed

Who's with me on this
Way ahead of you. Been playing Punch-Out on the Wii U since around August when I wrote down my top ten and had Mac in 2nd.
I do plan on getting the Wii version soon though!

And it might help people to know Club Nintendo is offering Punch-Out as a reward this month.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
You know, the one thing that really stuck out to me in the Little Mac trailer was the most irrelevant of details. It's probably been discussed before, but the fact that you hear "Shoryuken!" (or something similar) when the camera pans by the arcade machine really resonated with me.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Who else is genuinely excited for a Punch Out! Assist Trophy? I'd assume King Hippo or Bald Bull would be an obvious choice of the selection process (perhaps even Glass Joe as a more fragile joke-version of Starfy, and yes, it is possible). Whatever the case, the more representation of Punch-Out, the better.

By the way, has anybody considered the idea of a Doc Louis-esque Chocolate Bar as an item (whatever the likelihood, which I find statistically improbable)? While I am not necessarily advocating for every series to be bestowed with an item, I think in this case it could be an interesting way of implementing another status change to a character who devours the sugary confection (for example, akin to the Superspicy Curry, the character would be throwing a flurry of attacks in an energy rush).

Again, I do not expect it, but it is just a fun little food for thought.

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Here's my reaction:

Wow; so ecstatic!! :colorful: I knew that Little Mac had a chance to become part of the SSB4 roster (and he's been on my wishlist), but I didn't think he would make it in as playable! I would've been fine with him as an Assist Trophy, but his role as a playable fighter is even better! I anticipated that the Punch-Out!! series would at least get a stage in SSB4 due to the 'boxing ring'-themed stage, though..

I initially saw the news on Bulbapedia (via the Twitter applet displaying BulbanewsNOW's tweets), and I was like "OMG!!"; I actually gasped! XD Out of all my reactions for SSB4 characters so far, this one was second-highest in the amount of "excitement" I displayed (highest amount of excitement was displayed during Megaman's June 2013 reveal, of course). Immediately after seeing the tweet, I rushed to SmashWiki and subsequently saw the same news of Little Mac being featured. Then I went to Little Mac's nascent article and watched his "reveal trailer", which exceeded my expectations. I just loved the art style that the trailer used in conjunction with Doc Louis's voiceover! Also, I haven't played Punch-Out!!, so the main experience I have with Little Mac is via Super Smash Bros. Brawl and any online references I happen to come across. At first, I thought the trailer was remixing the SSB4 Main Theme, and then I was like "No, wait! This sounds like something else!". Then a lightbulb clicked as I remembered one of the samples used in Brawl's "Famicom Medley" track (0:28 - 0:44 in this video; for some reason, it made me think of the idea of 'Power Rangers in a fighting videogame'), which indeed samples the "Training" cutscene theme from Punch-Out!!, as I've read.

The Power Meter definitely startled me... I was instantly reminded about a discussion about Super Smash Flash 2, where someone (I think the developer or someone else on McLeodGaming Forums), in which someone said that 'power meters' weren't really true to the spirit of Super Smash Bros. (as in, none of the typical charging attacks, like Samus's Charge Shot or Lucario's Aura Sphere, feature "meters" to let you know how much you've charged the attack so far, instead relying on visual indicators like 'sphere size'); I think the 'charge meters' for a lot of Special Attacks were removed later on in SSF2... But anyway; it's interesting to finally see a Charge Meter atop of the damage percentage indicator, and it could pave the way for other characters/attacks to use similar meters (although I think it definitely fits Little Mac).

I was a bit turned off by the Final Smash being named "Giga Mac"... I mean, we already have Giga Bowser; there are other prefixes, you know... >_> Couldn't "Mighty Mac" or "Mega Mac" have worked..? (I would've loved the punny usage of Big Mac - being opposite of Little Mac's standard name and probably contrasting the kind of diet Little Mac has, while still fitting the 'size change' concept - although methinks that McDonalds might've taken issue with that and sued...or something. :()

ROFL at Sandbag being used as a punching bag, as well as Samus cameoing for a few minutes... The trailer reminded me of Street Fighter 4 so much (mainly due to the art style). I loved the moment where Little Mac used a series of blinding rapid-fire skyward punches on Link (LOL..skyward punches trump skyward swords... poor Link >.<); it made me more eager to try out Little Mac's moveset... You would think that a character who is essentially "all punches" would be boring to play as, but that trailer did a fantastic job at showcasing Little Mac.. Also, I've always envisioned a 'boxing ring' stage for King Dedede (I've read that he has a 'boxing ring' on Mt. Dedede as a boss character; it gave me some ideas on a stage that I could build that utilizes "King Dedede's Theme" in Brawl), but I guess a Punch-Out!! boxing ring makes more sense than a Kirby one (maybe the stage will still have some sort of reference to Mt. Dedede?); still, I liked how King Dedede was the first foe that Little Mac faced in the ring as a newly-induced Smash Brother. XD

And I'm also laughing about how Little Mac's reveal was a nice "twist" (maybe some people would say that Sakurai was 'trolling' yet again, but I think Little Mac's trailer was awesome enough for Diddy Kong fans to forget about it), given that most people apparently were expecting Diddy Kong and/or Dixie Kong to be revealed soon (due to this Nintendo Direct being temporally near in proximity to the release of Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze). :laugh: And here people were thinking Little Mac was disconfirmed due to Villager sporting 'boxing gloves'. :glare: Hey, things are probably looking up for Balloon Fighter, too!

But yeah, so stoked that Little Mac made it in; I'm even itching to play Wii Sports' Boxing mode right now! Ugh, this was probably the one Nintendo Direct I could've watched live (although I was just made aware of it on February 12th, 2014..), and I missed it. :cry: Maybe next time..

Despite not being a Little Mac fan, I'm really glad he finally made it, plus his gameplay looks AWESOME. I really hope Doc Louis will show up though ._. He just HAVE to be in the background like the Pokémon Trainer.
I hope Doc Louis shows up in some capacity during gameplay... Maybe on the boxing ring stage when Little Mac is fighting on it?

I started shaking when I heard Doc's voice, when I saw "Little Mac Punches In" I screamed "YES!"
I tried to hold my excitement but I kept shaking and shaking and shaking. I laughed at Samus and Mac, and at the end of the trailer with the chocolate. Mac looks incredible, and I'm happy that Mac Baby has finally made it into Smash.
He so rightfully deserves it.
This; with a long-standing fighting series and a great concept in general, Little Mac is just so rightfully fitting as a playable combatant in Smash. Finally, a non-Smash Nintendo fighting game series's (as in, real-time fighting, not turn-based) character makes it into the fighting series of Super Smash Bros.! :pow:

Congratulations to Little Mac receiving a spot on the SSB4 roster (not to mention giving hope to Assist Trophies everywhere, and even Balloon Fighter (who was seen as unlikely by some people due to Animal Crossing's Villager sharing his 'balloons', just as Little Mac was seen as unlikely by some people due to Villager sporting 'boxing gloves')! :bluejump:

The only minor issue I have is with the Punch-Out!! official Universe Symbol (above left)... I mean, from afar, it kind of looks like a potato..or something...just not "boxing-glove"-ish enough.. :urg: The custom Symbol that Venus of the Desert Bloom made (above right) conveys the image of a boxing glove better IMO, particularly due to the 'wrist cuff' thing. Here's hoping that the official icon can get a slight re-design!
EDIT: However, I rather like the current official Symbol's reference to the Punch-Out!! title screen, as displayed here:

In case anyone is puzzled by Little Mac's icon. I immediately recognized it from:

Also, I hope that Little Mac's alternate costumes sport red, blue, and black boxing gloves, as well as the special secret Silver Boxing Gloves (or maybe even a Matt re-color?) that you can get for your Mii by beating the Matt, the Champion of Wii Sports' Boxing Mode!

Ship it. Ship it! Ship it all night and ship it all day.
:chuckle: Although the trailer does show an inkling of "Samus Aran x Little Mac" interaction due to Samus's teasing of Little Mac (and hanging around in Morph Ball mode as Little Mac and Doc Louis are eating chocolate), "Samus Aran x Solid Snake" (with roots in Super Smash Bros. Brawl) is just too good of a shipping to pass up IMO!

I think I'm personally going to ship Little Mac with Wii Fit Trainer...they're both newcomers for Super Smash Bros. 4 who incited a great deal of reactions; both of them seem to work out a lot, after all; and Little Mac is bound to see some hot girl(s) in yoga pants during his numerous training regimens within fitness gyms. ;)

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So it's sorta like a second Fina

Who's with me on this
I would, but I guess I just went through that a bit ago. Right now I'm on a Megamanathon. I've done classics, X, Zero, ZX, and I'm currently on the Battle Network series. :D

But back on topic... Already been there a few months ago (and I've improved like a lot in all of them).
But since Punch Out is basically in my Top 3 Nintendo franchises, I'll glady pick any of them up again one of these days to celebrate. I usually do it by playing the Wii one from start to finish, both campaigns until I get retired, and that bittersweet final scene.

--
In case anyone is puzzled by Little Mac's icon. I immediately recognized it from:

Last edited:
Top Bottom