• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac Moveset Speculation Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
A few things.
1. It looks as though his jab combo of punches can be easily cancelled out of into other attacks or maybe that's just the jab finisher.
2. Upon activating his counter, he still reels if hit, but then retaliates with an attack.
3. This is true to what he does in his own games. It's all about dodging, weaving and bobbing (Side-B, Armor, Dash, that GORGEOUS ROLL), blocking and countering (Down B), Combos (take a wild guess), and strong finishers (KO Punch). While it stays close to what he does in his own games, only two of the moves really come from Punch-Out so far. Those being the KO Punch from Super Punch Out and Giga Mac from Wii. I know in his own games that he basically punches and only has a few truly standout "signature moves" like the KO Punch, but so far, it looks like something's missing. *cough*StarPunch*cough*
But other than that, he looks pretty solid.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
I assume you mean other boxers in Punch-out, because a lot of his moves are similar to Dudley's (Pummle, jab) and Balrog's ("dash straight", "dash upper", Dash A/Side B, got some turn-punch-like wind-ups on some moves) in Street Fighter, and Steve's in Tekken (KO Punch (Which also looks kinda like the EWGF)).

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
You assume correctly.
Well, those moves, while associated with those characters, seem to be able to fit with any boxer.
But there were some people suggesting that he should do the Honda Rush or the Super Macho Clothesline.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, they're kinda staple fighting game boxer moves. But that's just gonna make it feel better to land them, especially that launching dash upper <3

Nick Schovitz

Smash Cadet
His moveset looks pretty good. He looks like he can dodge attacks pretty easily, that one ht ko looks beastly, and that counter looks easy.

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Imagine him using KO Punch on a Wobbuffet.
Imagine him fighting a Wobbuffet in general. It's based off a Punching Bag.
He punches it, it reels back, then returns to counter, then Mac does his counter, and it's a neverending loop of Countering.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Side fire punch thing side B, up thing up B, ko punch neutral B? Counter thing down B?
his fire punch is just a partially charged ko punch which is neutral b. up b thing is his cork skrew punch recovery thing, and down be is his counter.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
It's actually one thing I'm wondering about. Normally in boxing, if you get hit in the middle of a punch motion (counter), the damage is even greater.

I'm guessing it signifies that boxers (infighters particularly) can take hits very well, but Mac has some bad forms lol.

Une

Smash Apprentice
Wait a minute, that power meter isn't just for one continuous charge. He's attacking the entire time that meter is charging:

So this isn't just an extremely slow Falcon Punch, this is Little Mac's version of the Wario Waft. It likely builds from doing damage (and likely resets on death given how powerful it is) but that also explains how Bowser gets to such a high % so fast since it's not just Mega Man doing damage to him.

So it seems like we might have another Lucario on our hands: If he KOes you first, he still has the OHKO punch for your 2nd stock and puts you at a huge disadvantage (much like fighting Lucario in Brawl) but if it does indeed reset on death, killing Little Mac 1st is CRUCIAL to fighting him.

So ignore what I said about not panicking and the move being ***. The move is even better than I originally thought and we should all panic in an orderly fashion.
Except it's sorta like the opposite in that Lucario gets his aura up through being terrible and getting hit while Mac has to play well and hit you. So Lucario's aura is a comeback factor and Little Mac's is a reward for playing well factor. Oh and Wario's is a Sit There Scratching Your Ass and Get Rewarded mechanic so even that is pretty different.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
well then... a match up between lucario and lil mac will be interesting then.

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
I come bearing GIFs!

Little Mac's jab. Looks like a flurry of lefts and rights finishing with an uppercut.

F-Tilt? A quick one two.

F-Smash. A powerful straight punch. Looks like it eats Bowser's F-Tilt pretty well.

Up Smash? Reminiscent of Sendo's Smash. :3 Tanks Samus's F-Air, he even stays on fire for a bit.

Dash attack. A sprinting overhead punch, Little Mac's speed and small profile allows him to squeak right under Mario's fireballs.

I'm not sure. U-Tilt maybe? Some kind of uppercut with a fair bit of range. It looks like there's a "hit" effect when Little Mac goes through Link's Up-B. This move might have armor too. Followed up by Mac's Up-B. A crazy, two-part upward corkscrew punch. Looks fun to combo into.

I'm guessing a N-Air followed by his Up-B. N-Air looks a bit slow, and of course his Up-B isn't so good for recovery.

Neutral B I'm guessing. Looks like it goes fairly far if you charge it, but also seems to have a bit of a cool down.

KO Punch/Star Punch. Looks pretty devastating if it hits. Bowser is at really high percent, I wonder how high Mega Man's damage was?

Side-B. A flying overhead punch. Invincibility on start-up it looks like. Looks good for recovery and annoying projectile users.

Down-B. Counter hit. Timing looks fairly forgiving, but it's hard to tell from just footage. Mac looks like he takes the hit and then immediately retaliates. Wonder if you still take damage?

Final Smash. Giga Mac, as most of us expected. Get's bigger (as in normal sized :p) and slower. Presumably he'll hit pretty hard.

Mac's pummel. Quick body blows. Guessing his throws will be more for setting up combos than killing or damage.

Taunt. Looks neat.:3

Warning, a lot of animated GIFs in the spoiler.

Last edited:

Une

Smash Apprentice
Just a really small nitpick I guess. The invinc. on his Side B isn't necessarily on startup. It doesn't really matter but just saying. There isn't a way of knowing until the game is out I think.

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
Going through the video frame-by-frame, he flashes white on the first frame of the attack, which seems like invincibility on startup to me. But I suppose you're right, there's no way to know for sure right now.

Last edited:

Yoichi Hiruma

Smash Journeyman
Going through the video frame-by-frame, he flashes white on the first frame of the attack, which seems like invincibility on startup to me. But I suppose you're right, there's no way to know for sure right now.
I think it's akin to him weaving and bobbing before he attacks. He goes into the background from the foreground it appears.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one that thinks this is his fsmash (To Up B)?

While this is just uncharged neutral B?

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
the cork screw punch is his up b recovery move as seen with link and wii fit trainer.
and we see 3 different power levels of lil macs neutral b, the uncharged one with bowser, the half way charged one with pit and villager, and the fully charged one with mega man and bowser.

also noted: his super armor frames dont absorb the attack, it passes through him.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
the cork screw punch is his up b recovery move as seen with link and wii fit trainer.
and we see 3 different power levels of lil macs neutral b, the uncharged one with bowser, the half way charged one with pit and villager, and the fully charged one with mega man and bowser.

also noted: his super armor frames dont absorb the attack, it passes through him.
I know it's his up B, I'm talking about the dash upper before it. The KO punch against Bowser and MM is not (necessarily) the same move, that charge is released as the camera zooms in. The video also cuts to him using the move with the GUI off, the frame before that you only see Bowser and MM, no Little Mac.

He absorbs the hit, you can see the hit effect.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Seems like they got the same start up though, with the whole Balrog-styled spin and everything. EDIT: For some reason I thought he does a spin for both of these. His bad form threw me off. lol nevermind.
Maybe it's a variation? Wouldn't surprise me if they give him a sweep version as well lol.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He reminds me more of Tekken's Steve lol. Mac is definitely showing that the Tekken team are helping on this to me.

That's not a shoryuken though. It's a Corkscrew upper, the same one Dudley does in his Rocket Uppercut super. Pretty awesome.

Last edited:

Une

Smash Apprentice
Thinking about it actually if his Side B dash punch is not just projectile invinc. but has invinc, to everything then you could use it as a reversal. Lol that would be pretty cool. And if it is full invinc. I hope the air version is the same. Would be cool for recovery.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
Thinking about it actually if his Side B dash punch is not just projectile invinc. but has invinc, to everything then you could use it as a reversal. Lol that would be pretty cool. And if it is full invinc. I hope the air version is the same. Would be cool for recovery.
we saw him jump into the boxing ring using this move in the air.

Doopliss_Swe

Smash Journeyman
I'm thinking it's something like Dudley's c.MK (Maybe on both sides in rapid succession):

Or his c.HK:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom