• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac in "For Glory" Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
The most ferocious attack in the game will be Mac's short hop KO Uppercut. It seems to be a fantastic edge guard, and after a long ground combo, this could easily strike McDonalds man a KO.

Top Tier 4 sure

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Eh Falco and Diddy Kong would probably give Little Mac hell in FD. I know his aerials (note aerials, not air game) supposedly suck but if he can reliably get on platforms (which he obviously should lol) than that could be a big thing for him. In FD you can just easily control the space and get constant grabs and once you get him out of the stage he's as good as dead. I feel like wide and small stage hurt Mac to be honest he needs something in the middle and platforms.

Mac is gonna be high tier at best who will struggle in FD imo. Still gonna main the boxer, I always main boxers.

Last edited:

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
He's going to be really tough to beat 1 on 1 especially if it is set up like final destination. His ground game is unmatchable.

Ailodierap

Smash Rookie
Eh Falco and Diddy Kong would probably give Little Mac hell in FD. I know his aerials (note aerials, not air game) supposedly suck but if he can reliably get on platforms (which he obviously should lol) than that could be a big thing for him. In FD you can just easily control the space and get constant grabs and once you get him out of the stage he's as good as dead. I feel like wide and small stage hurt Mac to be honest he needs something in the middle and platforms.

Mac is gonna be high tier at best who will struggle in FD imo. Still gonna main the boxer, I always main boxers.
This is pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Even Battlefield would be more ideal for Little Mac than Final Destination. Although the prospect of a near-guaranteed KO with one attack looks promising on paper, Little Mac's poor aerial game and poor recovery may well hinder this a fair amount. I guess time will tell, though. I really hope Little Mac does well - I've been sooo excited to play as him in this game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I just noticed that when Little Mac is charging his B Neutral, he crouches so low that WFT's Solar ball thing passes over him. :O

I think projectiles aren't going to necessarily be a thing for Little Mac. I'm sure he also passes under Falco's lasers by merely running.

Last edited:

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
After watching actual gameplay, I think it's safe to say Sakurai MAY have over-exaggerated Mac's overall effectiveness.

Ailodierap

Smash Rookie
After watching actual gameplay, I think it's safe to say Sakurai MAY have over-exaggerated Mac's overall effectiveness.
Hopefully, Sakurai himself is thinking the same thing after the Invitational. Fingers crossed, he may receive a bit of a buff of some sort before the games actually release.

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
The way people talk about Little Mac really hurts my head sometimes ...

Let me put it this way.

Do you think a fast-faller susceptible to juggles with poor, slow or weak aerials and no easy way to get back to grounds would *benefit* from platforms in the air that he can tech on to escape combos, or be *hurt* by them?

Use your heads, people :p
this is what i was thinking, if anything tomodachi is going to be his stage

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hopefully, Sakurai himself is thinking the same thing after the Invitational. Fingers crossed, he may receive a bit of a buff of some sort before the games actually release.
A great start would be fixing his recovery. I'm A-ok with him having poor aerials, but for the love of Doc, his recovery!

Up+B after Jolt Haymaker would be a terrific start. A little maneuverability after Up+B would be more than welcome as well.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
A great start would be fixing his recovery. I'm A-ok with him having poor aerials, but for the love of Doc, his recovery!

Up+B after Jolt Haymaker would be a terrific start. A little maneuverability after Up+B would be more than welcome as well.
A little early to be requesting that he gets buffs, don't you think?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
A little early to be requesting that he gets buffs, don't you think?
On the contrary, it's the perfect time to request buffs (or more like, pray they notice the shortcommings). Because once the game's out, it's finalized until the next SSB comes along.

I'm on the side of the fence that believes they are not going to balance the game once released.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
On the contrary, it's the perfect time to request buffs (or more like, pray they notice the shortcommings). Because once the game's out, it's finalized until the next SSB comes along.

I'm on the side of the fence that believes they are not going to balance the game once released.
I'm pretty sure they'll be working on balance up until the Wii U version is out, first of all. And second, they understand the game 1000 times better then we do currently. Telling them to buff characters when they know the little tricks that make up for their shortcomings doesn't help at all.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675

As a Luigi main I'm getting deja vu thinking about his recovery options :crazy:

Sykkamorre

Fights using psychology.
NNID
Sykkamor
"terrible aerials" probably refers to the whopping 2 percent damage on one of his attacks.

At least that is what I'm lead to believe by the moveset video I saw of him.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Ok, I've been playing A LOT of For Glory today. I've faced quite a few Little Mac, and tried him myself. And I don't want to disappoint but no matter how big his pros are the cons are "impossible" to fill. Smash 4 is a new game and you get knocked away quite a bit already at early percentage, even if it is a bit harder to get KO's due to larger blast zones. This is devastating for Little Mac because he just can't get back where any other character in the cast would be able to due to horrible recovery. I've not lost a single match yet because it's so easy to abuse (but yeah, I haven't exactly faced M2K quality players haha).

On the plus side, holy **** the power and super armor on so many moves. I might have sounded sceptic but on the other hand Little Mac is scary to face, he can be at your face in an instant smacking you with a super armor dash punch you can't react to (or you've already made an attack and can't protect) and that just deals a lot of damage, and the KO punch is always scary. So yeah, I think Little Mac is pretty nicely balanced but I just can't see him making it at the top level of play.

And lol it feels so strange to use aerials with Little Mac, it's as if he's not even bothering trying.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Ok, I've been playing A LOT of For Glory today. I've faced quite a few Little Mac, and tried him myself. And I don't want to disappoint but no matter how big his pros are the cons are "impossible" to fill. Smash 4 is a new game and you get knocked away quite a bit already at early percentage, even if it is a bit harder to get KO's due to larger blast zones. This is devastating for Little Mac because he just can't get back where any other character in the cast would be able to due to horrible recovery. I've not lost a single match yet because it's so easy to abuse (but yeah, I haven't exactly faced M2K quality players haha).

On the plus side, holy **** the power and super armor on so many moves. I might have sounded sceptic but on the other hand Little Mac is scary to face, he can be at your face in an instant smacking you with a super armor dash punch you can't react to (or you've already made an attack and can't protect) and that just deals a lot of damage, and the KO punch is always scary. So yeah, I think Little Mac is pretty nicely balanced but I just can't see him making it at the top level of play.

And lol it feels so strange to use aerials with Little Mac, it's as if he's not even bothering trying.
It's interesting that you say that about his weaknesses overpowering his strengths... I'm having trouble stopping him. Yeah, he's cruddy when knocked off the stage or in the air, but getting him to this point is the problem. Whenever I've played For Glory, I get put with a bunch of people who refuse to play as anyone other than Little Mac. Yeah, there are some awful ones, but some Little Macs just rush in and beat down whoever I try to use without giving me the option of fighting back. If they knock me off the edge, forget about it! They'll just follow me to where I land and send me right back before I can compose myself. The only success that I've had is with Marth and Lucina, with both being able to barely (and only sometimes) out-range him and use his strength against him with Counter. Even then, once they start putting their guard up, even throws won't work because he's so darn fast at dodging. Help.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
As someone who will probably end up playing as Rosalina and Mega Man in For Glory mode, playing against someone as Little Mac in a one-on-one battle basically means I got a good challenge ahead. I always like a good challenge.

slimjim

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FS-slimjim
3DS FC
4296-3887-2717
See the thing is... he is probably good in For Glory mode. In tournaments however, he doesn't have a chance. Why you ask? Well the tourney ruleset we're most likely to use is have all FDs be counted as one stage, then have the loser pick which of them to play on if FD is their counter-pick of choice. So assuming we can't ban FD, Mac wins that stage. Fine, sets are best 2/3. FD is the only stage without platforms...and LilMac can't jump without being put in a high risk/low reward scenario. Platform camping is going to be a thing against him, meaning theoretically (and tier lists are a theoretical entity), he'll go 1/3 every set even if he is good enough to win every time on FD. He gets auto-countered by the stage list.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
See the thing is... he is probably good in For Glory mode. In tournaments however, he doesn't have a chance. Why you ask? Well the tourney ruleset we're most likely to use is have all FDs be counted as one stage, then have the loser pick which of them to play on if FD is their counter-pick of choice. So assuming we can't ban FD, Mac wins that stage. Fine, sets are best 2/3. FD is the only stage without platforms...and LilMac can't jump without being put in a high risk/low reward scenario. Platform camping is going to be a thing against him, meaning theoretically (and tier lists are a theoretical entity), he'll go 1/3 every set even if he is good enough to win every time on FD. He gets auto-countered by the stage list.
I'm pretty sure players will figure out ways to fight on platforms with Little Mac.

Rising Uppercut from below, maybe U-Smash if it's low enough, Nair is actually really fast and can start combos,
and aerial Jolt Haymakers and counters are a thing. He DOES have some options for air combat.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Little Mac definitively makes a decent character in a 2 STOCK! NO ITEMS! FOX ONLY! FINAL DESTINATION! environment.
Nice vid.
Great players, both of them.

I haven't played the game yet, like a lot of people, but I would have abused Jolt Haymaker the second I heard Ness say "PK...". I think that would have saved him a lot of headaches. XD

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428
Nice vid.
Great players, both of them.

I haven't played the game yet, like a lot of people, but I would have abused Jolt Haymaker the second I heard Ness say "PK...". I think that would have saved him a lot of headaches. XD
This Mac also destroyed a Rosalina. Once the Luma was out, Little Mac just needed some Up Smashes and game over. Rosalina is Mewtwo weak. 2 charged Smashes and good bye.

Last edited:

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
This Mac also destroyed a Rosalina. Once the Luma was out, Little Mac just needed some Up Smashes and game over. Rosalina is Mewtwo weak. 2 charged Smashes and good bye.
Yeah she's weak in the weight department, but the character itself is high-top tier material. If your a good Little mac player, on FD, you'll have the up hand. Once people know how to face Little Mac, it will be easily for a lot of characters, especially ranged/projectile characters like Palutena, Rosalina, Robin, etc.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah she's weak in the weight department, but the character itself is high-top tier material. If your a good Little mac player, on FD, you'll have the up hand. Once people know how to face Little Mac, it will be easily for a lot of characters, especially ranged/projectile characters like Palutena, Rosalina, Robin, etc.
Looking back at previous Smash games, the top tier characters are usually lightweights.

After all, weight doesn't matter as long as you don't get hit, right?

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Seems like a good idea until people just start grabbing him (no super armor on grabs), tossing him off and edge guarding his awful recovery. As long as you can avoid the KO Punch, which seems easy as it doesn't last very long and can possibly just be stalled out / countered...Mac will be a god in FFAs tho.

I hope I'm wrong, I love boxer characters and I hope his ground game can make up for weak aerial game and recovery.

Last edited:

gameprodigy12

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gameprodigy12
3DS FC
2423-2583-7165
Looking back at previous Smash games, the top tier characters are usually lightweights.

After all, weight doesn't matter as long as you don't get hit, right?
Yeah that's the general rule in all fighting games, especially Smash. Don't get hit and you'll be fine, it's just the matter of utility and power of a character that matters.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Honestly to be good with Mac you need reflexes and know when to poke at your opponents.

He isn't no Marth or Lucina every poke is huge, yeah his weakness is big but if you're a deity at fighting games that required immense reflexes(street fighter) you should be ok.

I can see Mac demolishing campy characters by simpky playing smart and willing to waste time.

The thing i see a lot of players do is chase people off stage with Mac, not like jump of the stage i mean stand at the ledge to prevent yourself from falling down the cliff what do you do? avoid it stay in the center let your opponent come back into the ring and K.O for good, it annoys me when i see Mac players do this as they get defeated in the most pathetic way possible after a back throw.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom