• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Kirby on His own.

Sky`

Smash Lord
IceNinjaSky (12:48:01 PM): M2K!
IceNinjaSky (12:48:09 PM): I have a question for you. >_< Can you answer it?
M2K (12:48:13 PM): at college
M2K (12:48:14 PM): what is it
M2K (12:48:16 PM): be fastish
IceNinjaSky (12:48:21 PM): Do you think that Kirby can win a tournament, by himself?
M2K (12:48:26 PM): in brawl yes
M2K (12:48:29 PM): melee no
M2K (12:48:32 PM): 64 yes
M2K (12:48:41 PM): i main kirby in 64
IceNinjaSky (12:48:47 PM): Really? Nice.
M2K(12:49:43 PM): in brawl, idk, chu goes all kirby and still *****
M2K(12:49:44 PM): grab F throw combo
M2K(12:49:45 PM): bairs
M2K(12:49:47 PM): space f smash
M2K(12:49:47 PM): bbl
IceNinjaSky (12:50:01 PM): Alright, thanks alot M2K.
M2K(12:50:21 PM): talk later
IceNinjaSky (12:50:25 PM): Alright.
IceNinjaSky (12:50:26 PM): see ya.

So.

Is M2K accurate? Have you Kirbys had a problem in tournament, in which you really had to switch? Or do you think that Kirby can make it on his own?

When I used him in tournament, I was able to scrape a Snake, but I guess that was just cause the Snake might have not been that great. I haven't found really difficult matchups except maybe ZSS.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Skyyyyyyy wazuuuuuup.

Kirby can be used in tourneys alone since no one like makes him completely unviable, I think IC's could come close to that tho. He's really much better with a cp.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
It's possible. I just get really bored using the same character over and over for an entire tourney so I wouldn't do it personally. xD

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
Yea agreed with everyone else, its totally possible. None of his match ups are terrible, just maybe difficult. Same deal for me as it is kawaii bunny, i can't just play 1 character, i have too much fun playing so many different ones, which is why it seems no one knows who i main, lol.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
He doesn't. I've mained him in all 3 Smashes >_>
And I don't even like Kirby games very much :/ I prefer Zelda games.
Which may be why I also play Link in 64/Young Link in Melee/Toon Link in Brawl

But really, I think just about every character in this game is viable enough to win a tournament, with the exception of a few retardedashell matchups (like D3 being able to infinite Donkey Kong, stuff like that is bull)

I mean, Captain Falcon isn't very good (understatement?) but if you're a great player, you can make it work.

I doubt you could make Kirby work in Melee, and that's one aspect that Brawl is superior: you truly do see a wider character variety. I met locals at a Smashfest last week, for Melee. They played Fox/Falco/Sheik/Marth/Captain Falcon/Jigglypuff/Peach. All the top characters. There was one deviant, a Young Link, and myself, a Kirby.

At Brawl tourneys, I've seen practically every character in the game. Did they do well? Not necessarily, but that may be player skill, not the character.

ANYWAY:
Is M2K accurate? Have you Kirbys had a problem in tournament, in which you really had to switch? Or do you think that Kirby can make it on his own?
Yes, M2K is accurate, for once (lol jk)

There may be personal matchups that you suck against, but you can go 100% Kirby and do well. Here's how I did last week (admittedly this wasn't a huge omgwtf tourney, but the top 2 players are notable for sure, and I did manage to beat Quivo first set)
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=217726

The biggest advantage a Kirby can have is an opponent who does not know how to deal with him. If he knows how to escape the throw combos that were formerly thought to be inescapable, then you need to realize that quickly and adapt as such. In my opinion, Kirby will eventually go down on the tier list a little bit as time goes on, but he will always remain a very viable tournament option.

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
The biggest advantage a Kirby can have is an opponent who does not know how to deal with him. If he knows how to escape the throw combos that were formerly thought to be inescapable, then you need to realize that quickly and adapt as such. In my opinion, Kirby will eventually go down on the tier list a little bit as time goes on, but he will always remain a very viable tournament option.
Thats why this forum exists though, or at least i believe so, to prevent the cute lil puffball from falling down the tier list. Last time he moved up, lets just inch our way up more and more.

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
The thing that i like about kirby the most is the fact that skill can be graded MUCH easier with this character than others. Like you can tell the difference in skill between 5 different kirby players for example with ease compared to 5 different MKs or Snakes. This alone makes me want to be a great player as far as tourneys, online, and with my reputation in Texas in general.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
yea kirby handles MK reasonably well, and theres never a matchup that i think i can't win with kirby. I'm skilled with some other good characters, like ROB and Marth, but I never really feel the need to change characters. For my serious matches it's kirby all the way.

Welcome to the kirby boards

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
At SK92's brawl tournament, I pulled 7th in Singles and 4th in teams with a Snake.

Kirby can beat any character and any player, go get 'em.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Meh, while Kirby does have some bad matchups that I'd personally prefer switching characters for, they aren't so horrible that you absolutely HAVE to switch characters (then again, I saw a great Ganon beat a great Yoshi player this week, and I'm pretty sure that if you can do that, any matchup is doable!).

Personally, it just comes down to preference I think. For example, if I see a DK player coming up, yeah, I *could* handle it with Kirby, but I will enjoy it so much more if I play Mario, so I'll go Mario. For MK, both Kirby and Yoshi are viable options, with even potentially Mario, depending on the opponent's skill.
If I see a Diddy player, Fox, Ganon, Sonic and Kirby can all work. Really, it always depends on who I feel like playing, what the matchup is, and how much knowledge I think my opponent has of said matchup (Like say Mario vs G&W. No G&W players ever seem to realize how badly FLUDD ***** their aerials.).

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
Meh, while Kirby does have some bad matchups that I'd personally prefer switching characters for, they aren't so horrible that you absolutely HAVE to switch characters (then again, I saw a great Ganon beat a great Yoshi player this week, and I'm pretty sure that if you can do that, any matchup is doable!).

Personally, it just comes down to preference I think. For example, if I see a DK player coming up, yeah, I *could* handle it with Kirby, but I will enjoy it so much more if I play Mario, so I'll go Mario. For MK, both Kirby and Yoshi are viable options, with even potentially Mario, depending on the opponent's skill.
If I see a Diddy player, Fox, Ganon, Sonic and Kirby can all work. Really, it always depends on who I feel like playing, what the matchup is, and how much knowledge I think my opponent has of said matchup (Like say Mario vs G&W. No G&W players ever seem to realize how badly FLUDD ***** their aerials.).
How does the FLUDD **** aerials? Just pushes GaW away like mad or somethin? Lags him like its wifi?

Same deal goes for me ^ but different pool of chars.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
On a lot of multi-hit moves, FLUDD constantly clashes with whatever hit it makes contact with, keeping the opponent stuck in that same frame for a prolongued period of time, or lag, and allows you to run in and punish. So for example, if I were to FLUDD G&W's fishbowl, he would just stand there suspended in the air in that animation for as long as the water keeps hitting him, which is actually quite a bit longer than Mario's FLUDD animation, which allows him to hit G&W with just about anything while the G&W player sits there and takes it.

The Mario boards call it FIHL (FLUDD Induced Hit Lag). You can find more info on it there.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Wow, FLUDD has its uses.

Weren't Marios whining about how bad it was a while back? :p

Cioran

Smash Cadet
FLUDD is stylish. Combined with Cape, high level Marios have some of sexiest gimping options around.

Uh, back on topic: Kirby is hawt.

Top Bottom