• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of Advanced Techniques - Confirmed/Disconfirmed (With sources)

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
If you can jump after air dodging, that suggests that dodging may not be directional at all but simply a factor of the direction you're moving in. I haven't seen an air dodge that shows someone moving in a different direction than they started in yet.
look at the Directional Air Dodge section of the first post. Yoshi dodges down after an ascending double jump. There you go.

as for the rest of you guys trying to explain DJC to me... i kinda get it but i'll check it out tomorrow more fully. at 2:30AM it all nonsense :-P

Padô

Smash Lord
Well people If you don't know that "directioned Air-Dodging" of Yoshi is not directed again!

If you guys don't know when you do the second jump of Yoshi you fall like **** on the platform of the stage, and again is influed by the direction of you movement, it's not really confirmed the Directed Air-Dodge although of having very good "proofs" of it that aren't proofs

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
SHORTFUSE!! Short hopping was confirmed in the "Sonic vs. Link" video. (At Smashville) Between the first 7-10 seconds, Link short hops and throws his boomerang.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Some more GIFs ... I've also updated my post on the first page with all of them that I've posted in this thread:

Interesting Sonic Ledge grab:

Link Grabbing Ledge on the way up from Up-B: (spotted in another thread)

Link Tether Recovery:

... if anyone has any requests that I haven't taken care of (or spotted), feel free to ask.

-Katsuta

Smash Cadet
Oh you guys are so clever.

GameSpot's Media Summit 2007 Gameplay Demo at 01:32 Mario does airdodge up and to the right.

Haven't you noticed that he jumped before he airdodged? Thus air dodging into the direction he was heading in.

How come nobody saw this? Now I'll be checking the Yoshi videos as well.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
This thread is made of win.

*subscribes*

I'll watch for evidence as best I can.

Samochan

Smash Master

-Katsuta

Smash Cadet
Oh you guys are so clever.

GameSpot's Media Summit 2007 Gameplay Demo at 01:32 Mario does airdodge up and to the right.

Haven't you noticed that he jumped before he airdodged? Thus air dodging into the direction he was heading in.

How come nobody saw this? Now I'll be checking the Yoshi videos as well.
I just checked all the proof for directional airdodging and none of them actually showed any control in defying their pre-ordained paths.

Also with no proof of stationary airdashing..

Whats this supposed to mean?

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Just so you guys know, I can't easily show teching (if there's even any at all in these videos) with the GIFs because my capture program only takes it at 10 fps.

Samochan, I'm not sure Mario's recovery after Metaknights move is all that strange. His tornado obviously doesn't have much knockback.

I'll see what I can do about the attack clanking though.

Samochan

Smash Master
I just checked all the proof for directional airdodging and none of them actually showed any control in defying their pre-ordained paths.
Did you know that in order to do a perfect wavedash, you'd need to aerial dodge horizonally and not diagonally down? Thus would this movement aerial dodge mean that you'd just need to push into some direction to move your character and then do a perfect wavedash. So wavedash is still not unfonfirmed, if that's what you're here after. :p People would just need to do their wavedashes a lot earlier and incorporate a dash into it before they could actually wd and then learn hwo to always do perfect wd, but it could be possible.

Also, I think that on many videos and on that gif with the sonic one has some similarities with platform canceling (you attack and you fall off the ledge, thus canceling all lag of the attack).

Crispy, it is strange cause not only they suddenly have no stun from attacks, but they also stop any momentum to the direction they're thrown into without even attacking, but they just suddenly change DI without jump, which was not possible on ssbm. On ssbm you could only curve your DI and not even completely stop momentum with any attack but you still kept drifting into that direction. Mario is thrown up and everywhere, but he then suddenly starts going down and attacks. Well it just looks weird to me anyway, but it definitely means less stun time on air.

Oh and almost forgot, Mario does the "press the a button and keep it down to do multiple jabs" thing at 2:19 part of this video http://www.gamespot.com/video/92851...rawl-nintendo-media-summit-2007-gameplay-demo
On dojo it was said to keep down the button to keep jabbing and to tap the button many times to initiate the jab combo itself. But seeing as it's that fast... man that's gonna be the ultimate shield pressure with no drawbacks really. :/ I don't see anyone shieldgrabbing a jab THAT fast.

Hazhulkhen

Smash Rookie
I think that in light of this evidence, directional air dodging should be recategorized as "unconfirmed." All the "proofs" of directional air dodging instead cast serious doubt on the existence of directional air dodging at all in Brawl. Each video only shows a dodging in the direction the character was moving. As Pado said, Yoshi does indeed fall vertically after his second jump. Mario does his second jump and dodges during it, moving in the same direction the jump would've gone (ditto with the video of Sonic air dodging). Link is falling straight down while dodging; he continues to fall at the same rate. The video of Bowser dodging is of such low quality that it can't even be used as credible evidence.

Moreover, the interviewer person who played a demo (I forget who; someone help me out here) said that you can "jump" after dodging. Remember that we're dealing with relatively unexperienced players; they might have confused "jumping after your dodge" with jumping, dodging during that jump, then doing your double jump. In this sense he's right, but that would mean the mechanics of dodging in Brawl are completely different according to this theory.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Edit: Whoah John, nice find from that old video. That's definite waveland right there.
Some (smart) poster posting that in one of the million wavedashing threads, but as gifs, in slow mode, and saying OWNED at the end (I think). Awsomenss, and I can't wait to actually WAVEDASH WITH THE RUNNING LINK! YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!! Can you say higher on the tiers=??? :)

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
On dojo it was said to keep down the button to keep jabbing and to tap the button many times to initiate the jab combo itself. But seeing as it's that fast... man that's gonna be the ultimate shield pressure with no drawbacks really. :/ I don't see anyone shieldgrabbing a jab THAT fast.
I see your point. Look like you have to use a stronger attack like Mario's F-smash to punish their spamming.

Samochan

Smash Master
I think that in light of this evidence, directional air dodging should be recategorized as "unconfirmed." All the "proofs" of directional air dodging instead cast serious doubt on the existence of directional air dodging at all in Brawl. Each video only shows a dodging in the direction the character was moving. As Pado said, Yoshi does indeed fall vertically after his second jump.
But then again, if a character is falling and moving forward, where would a directional dodge go then? From the video where yoshi dodges those pit's fs things yoshi was still moving forward with his jump if I'm not mistaken, but aerial dodge straight down. But Mario was moving with his jump up and forward and aerial dodged diagonally up. <_> So it doesn't make sense.

And Takeshi, you cannot attack from your shield, so it would be an unfavorable situation for you if a sheik with very little lag but high hitstun hit your shield and you had no other choice but to shield, but then he starts rapidly jabbing your shield away and you cannot even jump from shield to attack cause it's so rabid and unless you roll away or behind (which both can be predicted and chased to puhishment) you might get grabbed or something nasty. Think of peach float canceling into your shield and dsmash to shieldstab or deteoriate your shield with a rapid pace. :p

-Katsuta

Smash Cadet
But then again, if a character is falling and moving forward, where would a directional dodge go then? From the video where yoshi dodges those pit's fs things yoshi was still moving forward with his jump if I'm not mistaken, but aerial dodge straight down.
You did notice that Yoshi got HIT before he airdodged.

The centurian could have possibly knocked him into the stage with its' collision.

Hazhulkhen

Smash Rookie
Samochan said:
Mario was moving with his jump up and forward and aerial dodged diagonally up.
"Diagonally up" and "up and forward" are synonyms. How does this contradict what I said?

Samochan

Smash Master
You did notice that Yoshi got HIT before he airdodged.

The centurian could have possibly knocked him into the stage with its' collision.
No he didn't, computer yoshi aerial dodged the centurians flying at him while he was still moving from his jump. >_>

Hazhulkhen, I mentioned Mario cause even though Mario is seen jumping and moving forward and up meaning diagonally up and aerial dodges diagonally, yoshi was moving diagonally up but aerial dodged down instead. So it doesn't make sense that it's all based on character's momentum on the air, cause yoshi obviously is not abiding to this possibly new mechanic change.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
But then again, if a character is falling and moving forward, where would a directional dodge go then? From the video where yoshi dodges those pit's fs things yoshi was still moving forward with his jump if I'm not mistaken, but aerial dodge straight down. But Mario was moving with his jump up and forward and aerial dodged diagonally up. <_> So it doesn't make sense.

And Takeshi, you cannot attack from your shield, so it would be an unfavorable situation for you if a sheik with very little lag but high hitstun hit your shield and you had no other choice but to shield, but then he starts rapidly jabbing your shield away and you cannot even jump from shield to attack cause it's so rabid and unless you roll away or behind (which both can be predicted and chased to puhishment) you might get grabbed or something nasty. Think of peach float canceling into your shield and dsmash to shieldstab or deteoriate your shield with a rapid pace. :p
Notice how I wasn't talking about attacking out of your sheild. I already know you can't do an F-smash out of shield since I know and use advanced techniques. I meant that if you see someone spamming, just use a stronger attack that has more priority.

-Katsuta

Smash Cadet
He looks like his jump ended about then. Or it could have been the start to a fastfall.

Anything is possible there really, its way chaotic.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
if you can grab the edge from behind, it'll ruin the entire "you're a directional failure" kill phrase(it sounds better in hebrew, trust me) :p

anyway, the edge snap sounds broken, no more need for sweet-spot to avoid edge guard?

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Fast-Jump
Unconfirmed
  • Gamespot's Media Summit 2007 Interview at 02:35. Samus is trying to break the Smash Ball. She jumps, fast-jumps and then uAir to finally break it. Samus does a second jump at very high speed. It could be just like fastfall but the opposite where you jump at peak instead of pressing down. On the high quality version of the video, it's obvious the jump is much faster. It might be a demo glitch, but I, personally, think it's a new move.
I just went back to look at it, and I'm 95% sure that that's just a Footstool Jump. See how Samus is passing directly through Sonic when she jumps?

red stone

Smash Ace
Just realized something potentially huge about these gifs. Sonic is facing the wrong way when he grabbed the ledge ... does that mean Mario's Cape will be nerfed for edge guarding?

don't think so. fox in melee can do something similar with his firefox. he can go the opposite direction of the ledge at an angle and still grab behind

red stone

Smash Ace
k, just had a thought. it seems you can go off the ledge very easy now based on momentum.

an underused tech in melee (edge canceling) may be a shining torch in brawl.

you heard it here first folks. i'm predicting platform canceled aerials being a lot more common in brawl

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
Fast Jump

That's just a double jump with the up air coming out really fast. Probably just able to double jump with Samus faster than before..
I doubt there is a "fast jump".

matthewmilad

Smash Journeyman
"

"And Takeshi, you cannot attack from your shield"

Yes you can. Smash both sticks in the direction you want to smash out of your shield. I know it works with Up Smash mainly because it could be beneficial to do with Fox, but it should in theory work with other smashes too.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion

Yes you can. Smash both sticks in the direction you want to smash out of your shield. I know it works with Up Smash mainly because it could be beneficial to do with Fox, but it should in theory work with other smashes too.
It only works for U-smash and Up-B. If you go for a D-smash, you'll do a sidestep dodge. If you try to do an F-smash, you'll roll.

Samochan

Smash Master

Lulz, no you can't.

The only characters that can attack "from shield" (not technically) with any attack are those that can djc. You press djc quickly so the dip puts you back to ground again. But it's only useful with peach since she has so quick dsmash. Other chars use djc to attack with an aerial from shield or yoshi has his own shield roll thingy and he can't jump from shield anyway.

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
the only moves that you can do out of shield are the ones that are jump-canceled (up-smash, grabs,shines and such). Or just shffl out of shield.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
the only moves that you can do out of shield are the ones that are jump-canceled (up-smash, grabs,shines and such). Or just shffl out of shield.
There's that, too. I forgot about that. I'm sure you can attack out your shield by using these methods in Brawl.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
You can even short hop in kirby's adventure for the NES. You can even shff with the umrella ability. You can even shl with the laser ability. It's like the games are made by the same person!!!

greenblob

Smash Lord
What's the current status on JC usmash/up B? Glitch, exploit, or implemented tactic?
We know that JC grab is a glitch.

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
JC Everything is an exploit. You jump to go into a short crouch, then attack before leaving ground (4-10 frames).

Mama

Smash Ace
You can even short hop in kirby's adventure for the NES. You can even shff with the umrella ability. You can even shl with the laser ability. It's like the games are made by the same person!!!
LOL.

What's the current status on JC usmash/up B? Glitch, exploit, or implemented tactic?
We know that JC grab is a glitch.
I wouldn't call it anything like that in a negative way. Interrupting frames is something present in any game. I'd call it....an innovation. Taking something that exists and using it in a new and clever way hehe.

Top Bottom