• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Linux

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
@omfgomfg try linux. the support is endless. i use Linux because of ethics. i believe that everybody should have the right to a free OS. paying $200 for office programs. lol just download Open office for free.

EDIT - BTW a couple months ago i made Gnome look and feel like Mac OS X. i used no programs. that was my challenge. i had it all down from the splash to the finder. i am going to post some screenshots soon

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
while strolling through the desktop thread i decided to bump this thread. anybody tried cross over linux?

it is built up from wine for windows EMU but games usually work. i have it on Mac OS

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
I would try it, but it costs $40 =(
Wine seems to work sell for me though. Does it support programs much better than wine?

barboachtraner

Smash Rookie
Ubuntu 7.10 user here, dual booting with Windows XP, although I don't have much of a reason to boot into Windows at this point. I like the philosophy that software should be free as in freedom as well as free as in beer, but I'm somewhat of a hypocrite in that respect as I still install some proprietary software when there isn't much other choice. That's about it.

okiyama

Smash Ace
My friend installed ubuntu from Vista and said it deleted his hard drive.

Does it actually just go ahead and delete your hard drive if you install a new OS because backing up my entire hard drive is a bit of a put off to switching to Linus.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
My friend installed ubuntu from Vista and said it deleted his hard drive.

Does it actually just go ahead and delete your hard drive if you install a new OS because backing up my entire hard drive is a bit of a put off to switching to Linus.
Well that's part of formatting your hard drive. If you want to dual-boot (have both Windows and Ubuntu on the same computer), then just partition your hard drive, format the new partition, and your old files won't be deleted. Then if you want, you can transfer all your old files to the new partition (if you have enough space), and then just delete the old windows (ntfs) partition all together. Much easier than buying a new hard drive and backing up everything in my opinion :).

But if you're just a beginner, you would probably just want to dual-boot so you can still go to Windows if you need.

Good luck!

okiyama

Smash Ace
Well that's part of formatting your hard drive. If you want to dual-boot (have both Windows and Ubuntu on the same computer), then just partition your hard drive, format the new partition, and your old files won't be deleted. Then if you want, you can transfer all your old files to the new partition (if you have enough space), and then just delete the old windows (ntfs) partition all together. Much easier than buying a new hard drive and backing up everything in my opinion :).

But if you're just a beginner, you would probably just want to dual-boot so you can still go to Windows if you need.

Good luck!
Nah, I have two hard drives that I dual boot it's pretty simple to me.

I dunno if it's worth it to go through the trouble of partioning my hard drive though and also the fact that some of my programs when ported over may not be Linux friendly.

I'll think about it.

In the mean time here's a funny story:
My friened who knows quite a bit about computers decided to try out Linux. Unfortuneatly he didn't know quite enough to know that it reformats your drives. So he downloads Ubuntu, burns to a disk then installs Ubuntu which completely reformats his drive and erases Vista. Needless to say his mom was displeased and he had to get it reinstalled and everythign back on it. His mom no longer trusts him downloading/installing anything.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
I dunno if it's worth it to go through the trouble of partioning my hard drive though and also the fact that some of my programs when ported over may not be Linux friendly.
WINE works with lots of things, but if you have a reasonably fast computer, you could use a virtual machine such as VMWare or qemu or something. They're like having a pretend windows xp computer inside Ubuntu, so it's just like the real thing. I personally use vmware, and it runs everything at normal speed.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
Whats the point of running kubuntu as a vm anyway? =P

Hey, I was just wondering, has anyone used FreeBSD before? How does it compare to Linux (performance, ease of use, stability, support, etc)?

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
Doesn't Kubuktu have a live CD? What would be the advantage of running it in VM as opposed to just running it live?
Well, with live cd's you can't really save stuff, it's more like a working demo. But I can't think of any good reasons for running linux in a vm, other than maybe trying it out (if you're too lazy to burn a cd). If you like linux so much you should just install it, or if you're just starting for the first time, partition then dual boot.

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
Hey Gerudo, have you had much experience with other distros? I'm thinking of putting debian or gentoo(<--I've heard it's hard to install...) on one of my computers someday, not Ubuntu since I'm already on that on this computer. Any suggestions?

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
uhhhh, not really, My server runs debian but that is about it.

Ubuntu is built up from Debian, you might find it a bit familiar.

i do run fluxboox on my old pc. It is a minimal os.

sorry, can't be much help.

Top Bottom