• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Linux

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
Yer. I tried to do that and it just stuffed up. I dont know what happened but it just didn't work. It said something about my email address and then i figured out. I dont have to use that. lol

flaco

The Terminator
oh k thanks man triying to get linux is hard i see lol but i bet is better anyway and gonna keep triying thanks man.

flaco

The Terminator
nah bro i didnt get the cd I dont know how like i sadi i post up my email and never comes to my email or adress so i cant have it.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master

flaco

The Terminator
lol could you use that in windwos xp or no becuase i want to try or you need to have linux beacuse i want linux lol.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
You need to have Linux for the Google distro.
Go to this site http://www.kubuntu.org/ and click Shipit free cd's and see if it asks you for your email address. If it does you don't need to have a email address. With lanchpad see if you can decline the launchpad thing.

phil ivey

Smash Rookie
Linux is the best OS around. It looks great, good programs lke adept and fun games like Tux racer. I really enjoy it on my computer its faster and i can customize it down to the last icon.

phil Ivey - Ubuntu with Gnome,Kubuntu with kde.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
KDE 3.5.5 Released

The new version of KDE has been Released! This is very fir us KDE users. Some improvements include.

Version 0.12.3 of Kopete replaces 0.11.3 in KDE 3.5.5, it includes support for Adium themes, performance improvements and better support for the Yahoo! and Jabber protocols.
Support for sudo in kdesu.
Support for input shape from XShape1.1 in KWin (KDE window manager).
Lots of speed improvements and fixes in Konqueror's HTML engine, KHTML.
CUPS 1.2 support in KDEPrint.
Big improvements in the number of translated interface elements in Chinese Traditional, Farsi, Khmer, Low Saxon and Slovak translations.

Konqueror will be speeded up which is also good for people who like to use Konqueror more then Firefox and Oprea. maybe Kopete will be speeded up as it is very slow.

i will have it soon and i will give feedback on what i thought.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
ive recently updated and i say it is worth the time and there was some speed issues sorted out in konqueror. i am soon going to do a major update on kubentu. im upgrading from LTS to edgy with should be very intresting ive been hearing some very good things can't wait for it to be done.

i recently installed fluxbox which is a window manager and desktop envorment. i must say it takes litealy 5 seconds to install and is extremly fast. and i mean extremly fast! its really all you need in a DE. lightweight DE. not much in it its really all you need. i use it more then KDE. lol so all linux users hop on the apt-get or adept etc and install.

and all gnome usrs install tida. you you press F11 or F1 a konsole pops out of te corner. very handy i must say.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
good to see someone with Xfce. i don't use that i tend to use Fluxbox instead. its the same with Flux box. very fast but not too minimalist. can i ask you a question? how long did Xfce take to install?

scap

Smash Rookie
Seeing as he's using Xubuntu it probably came pre-installed with the distro. :p Also, using the Debian/Ubuntu package manager it only takes a few clicks to install a piece of software.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
fluxbox didn't take long to install form apt - get. i hardly ever use adept. apt-get just what you need. so i will install it soon. see what i like better.

andrewshen123

Smash Apprentice
Thornhill, ON, Canada, in the L3T area code area.
Though I don't currently use Linux, I have in the past used Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Gentoo, SuSE, Red Hat and Debian (I think it was that at least). I would still be using Linux if it were not for the fact that my dad is a MSDN (Microsoft Development Network) subscriber, and managed to get Vista Ultimate for free, and I just had to try it. (Actually, he gets a virtually unlimited amount of Microsoft software for around $4000 a year I think.) Without enough space to on my drives to run two OSs, I just switched over. Plus dual-booting doesn't like me for some reason.

Peeze

Smash Master
I'm actually Windows XP certified by Microsoft, but I just picked up and installed a copy of Ubuntu on my PC, and I'm not familiar at all with the interface, some help would be appreciated. (Pertaining to administrative tasks)

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
shoot what u want help with and i'l help. but if want to do admin tasks go to anminstartion the the top bar. i take it you are the admin? then its just your acount password.

*also can you say what version of unbuntu u are using. if u unsure just open up firefox andn the homepage should say your version.

Peeze

Smash Master
Thats the first thing gerudo, i'm running ubuntu on my labtop, and I can't set up to connect to my wireless connection at home. I have a dual-boot running with Windows XP and can connect to my wireless connection there, all i need is a walkthrough on how to set it up.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
i had that problem too on my computer. i still haven't connected my wireless to ubuntu but it works fine on windows. (I'm also duel booted) was it working fine when your computer was just windows?

Peeze

Smash Master
i had that problem too on my computer. i still haven't connected my wireless to ubuntu but it works fine on windows. (I'm also duel booted) was it working fine when your computer was just windows?
Yep I'm on windows everytime i get on smashboards. Part of the problem is that when i try and enter the password to connect to my wireless connection, it wont let me enter enough characters for the password.

Sensai

Smash Master
Buuuuuuuuuuuump for Justice.

I use Ubuntu, Gnome and all, 6.10. That is until about a week ago my Linux started messing up.

I'm not very literate at this, and I haven't tried to fix it in a while, so I'll go head and try and explain what was the problem, and now what IS the problem.

I got the updates for Linux, and logged off that night as I wasn't expecting to use my computer the next day. Whenever I made it around to getting back on, I booted up my computer and got on Ubuntu. Took me to the log in screen, which is perfectly fine. Typed in my username, tabbed, typed in my password. The splash of what all is loading up came up, and then it showed me a glimpse of my desktop and went back to the login screen, that or it went black screen and then log in.

I fixed that by updating my Nvidia driver (thanks Google), but now it gives me some kinda error after I log in about 'Your session only last 10 seconds.' or something like that.

Halp?

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
Sounds like that message would come up as a precaution, because it noticed that when you logged in and were logged out again you were... well, logged out right away. So it's probably trying to help you debug something and figure out what might have logged you out the first time, but since it seems you've addressed that I wouldn't worry about it.

Sensai

Smash Master
But it won't lemme log in at all. I've tried searching for some help on Google, but nothing really helps.

It says it's something about my accelerators? Hell, I dunno. I'll try to get more details before I post about it again...

/sigh

Outscisor

Smash Rookie
To the guy downloading linux (flaco was it?): You do realize that what you download is an ISO file, right? You'll need to burn it to a blank CD to use it. Sorry if you already knew.

To the guys who couldn't connect to their wireless networks: Try downloading the driver from the missing drivers thingy. That worked for me. Again, sorry if you already knew that.

By the way, I don't have linux, but I did for a couple of weeks. Also by the way, yay, first post.

Jammer

Smash Lord
Oh crap!

How did I not find this thread earlier?

I'm on Ubuntu Gutsy right now. It's nice, although I've broken about half of it while fiddling with the settings (I just can't help myself).

Okay, for all you Linux haters:

Actually try it, please, before saying it has no real benefit. One major benefit is that it's free, so there's really nothing to lose. In my experience, Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon is about 50% nicer than XP, and 25% easier to do what you want, at least when you get past the very shallow learning curve, which takes maybe 5 hours.

Top Bottom