• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Link's Take Over - Q&A and General Link Discussion

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
Sopo's chaingrab can be done for awhile but it's rellllle hard if link DI's hard away He's actually probably gonna get away at like 30 . Are you surea bout that? link's heavy yes but he's a not a fast faller so i think he's floaty. Sheik is a light fast faller If he's not a heavy floaty then what is he?
Does anyone on here get on aim?
its bcuz link and sheik arent fast fallers that they can be CG by ICs. I've never heard anyone say that link is floaty. there's too much of a hitstun after popo's grab to get away. same with sheik, dats y right after u dthrow sheik u can dsmash her and still regrab her

cjugs

Smash Ace
Peef is a IC player in my crew that Can't chaingrb link because he said it cannot be done and link can jump out of all of them maybe i'm wrong so you've tried to chaingrab link and he can't get out? Because we tried it and he could.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
soju-marth is difficult cuz the play style between marth's can be a lot different. not to mention that wen u play most ppl, u usually can outspace them with link, but with marth u wanna be offensively in his face and defensively camping wit projectiles to create an opening

cjugs-maybe u guys are right, ive never had trouble CG link. if the link can DI hard away, all u do is walk forward wit nana n dair, then turn n grab wit popo. I beat sliq's ganon cheaply by picking ICs and simply CGing and good edgeguards

Skler

Smash Master
Skler i would really like to see you play against IC you think you can add some vids.
I don't have any recorded vids against ICs even though I've played both Chu Dat and Wobbles at Pound 3.

Wobbles beat me pretty handily, I remember the first game was on Yoshi's Story (stage johns) and forget any details about the second game.

Chu beat me on battlefield by a stock I think, but then he went pika and I won the set.

ICs can definitely chaingrab Link even if it's only Popo. I get plenty of IC experience nowadays due to an IC player in my area who seems to play me in every tourny we both go to.

I really hate the matchup, it's boring if played correctly and really one sided if not played correctly.

cjugs

Smash Ace
I don't have any recorded vids against ICs even though I've played both Chu Dat and Wobbles at Pound 3.

Wobbles beat me pretty handily, I remember the first game was on Yoshi's Story (stage johns) and forget any details about the second game.

Chu beat me on battlefield by a stock I think, but then he went pika and I won the set.

ICs can definitely chaingrab Link even if it's only Popo. I get plenty of IC experience nowadays due to an IC player in my area who seems to play me in every tourny we both go to.

I really hate the matchup, it's boring if played correctly and really one sided if not played correctly.
It's a dumb matchup but i think it's probably in link's favor don't quote me on that though. Sopo can CG link but it's very hard if there is hard DI away trust me and mixing in other di makes it tough so it's not gamebreaking. Every time i try to jump out of a IC Chain Grab i get away i'll play around with it actually pacman should since he is the only one who knows about IC. Well skler you should really get some vids of you vs IC up because i would be excited to see how you play the matchup because...
Not to disagree i'm aware you have more experience but spamming projectiles i don't think works all the time because say i hit them with 3 bombs and bring then up to maybe 18 damage and they squeeze in one upair we just traded and it's easy for then to eat a few projectiles and then hit you, IDK how good the one in my crew was but when i gave the try hard i did ok by spamming projectiles and attacking and alot of up oos. Although i had a horrible time playing against Sopo probably because i was thinking this is boring i'm just gonna run up and dair not a good strat but i was bored..... So my question is stay above then is that relle a good idea?

Skler

Smash Master
Staying in the air is absolutely your best option against the ICs. A good IC player has no issue getting in through your ground game using silly desync shenanigans or just clanking with your attack and grabbing. They're too mobile on the ground and have a great punish game.

Going into the air and spamming doesn't mean just projectiles. If you land a bomb you can squeeze in a hit or two, the idea is to stay airborne and combo off your projectiles.

I have a $200 MM tonight with a guy I beat in a $100 MM a few months ago. I love life so much.

cjugs

Smash Ace
Staying in the air is absolutely your best option against the ICs. A good IC player has no issue getting in through your ground game using silly desync shenanigans or just clanking with your attack and grabbing. They're too mobile on the ground and have a great punish game.

Going into the air and spamming doesn't mean just projectiles. If you land a bomb you can squeeze in a hit or two, the idea is to stay airborne and combo off your projectiles.

I have a $200 MM tonight with a guy I beat in a $100 MM a few months ago. I love life so much.
Sounds like this should be recorded.

Skler

Smash Master
It really shouldn't, he isn't very good. I met him at a party at school and he was talking about video games. I asked if he played smash, he said he was the best or something like that.

I challenged him to a MM. He said he wanted to do $100.

I then beat him really badly, taking care not to win by too much since I didn't feel like making him feel bad.

Now he wants to do it again for $200. I'm not sure why he's doing this, as I 3 stocked him every game and we played like 6 games.

Edit: Actually I remember, he had a nintendo shirt on and I asked if he played smash. There it goes. I totally beat him in Beirut too.

cjugs

Smash Ace
It really shouldn't, he isn't very good. I met him at a party at school and he was talking about video games. I asked if he played smash, he said he was the best or something like that.

I challenged him to a MM. He said he wanted to do $100.

I then beat him really badly, taking care not to win by too much since I didn't feel like making him feel bad.

Now he wants to do it again for $200. I'm not sure why he's doing this, as I 3 stocked him every game and we played like 6 games.

Edit: Actually I remember, he had a nintendo shirt on and I asked if he played smash. There it goes. I totally beat him in Beirut too.
Lol is this a student of yours? i'de like to see him explain how his substitute teacher took 100 dollars from him.
Idk maybe you shouldn't feel bad he could be some rich kid who throws money around good to see it's in the hands of a man with such wisdom.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
skler-take that money, if he's that stupid, he shouldnt be holding onto it anyways

cjugs-wats sopo (solo popo?) im sure by himself, u cuold prolly hard di away at sum point, but together, its ****. n like skler said, i secondary wit the ICs n the crouch game n dsmash punish to hard to fight them. plus wit their waveslide, makes them one of the fastest characters on the ground. once u do spam a few bombs, use them to create a space n drop a nair in bewtween to seperate the two n immediately turn ur focus to a few hits on popo. always attack nana on her approach or from a distance. u have no idea how hard ive laughed wit a marth or mario walked up to nana goin to fsmash her n she dsmash'd them instead

Skler

Smash Master
You can grab between Link's jabs, or just try and grab after the first one and be DIing down in case you eat the second one.

Link's jab hits on like, frame 7 and doesn't have IASA frames until about 20. Most characters can sneak a grab in if they grab immediately after getting their shield jabbed. Link's ground moves almost all have frame disadvantage :(

cjugs

Smash Ace
You can grab between Link's jabs, or just try and grab after the first one and be DIing down in case you eat the second one.

Link's jab hits on like, frame 7 and doesn't have IASA frames until about 20. Most characters can sneak a grab in if they grab immediately after getting their shield jabbed. Link's ground moves almost all have frame disadvantage :(
pacman alright but ive never been chain grabbed by both IC before.
Well yeah i figured about the jabs being able to be shield grabbed but with proper spacing would it work you think? and if it does than should you do both jabs jab cancel or like 1 1 2 12 112 something like that?

Skler

Smash Master
With the right spacing you won't get grabbed, but some characters can whack you anyways (Marth can fair you out of it if he's frame perfect I think, characters with less range will ultimately have to WD or roll away).

If I'm on somebody's shield and not spaced correctly I personally like going into the rapid jab, it pretty much prevents rolling out without eating a few % and wears down shields very well. Just don't do it on shorter characters (pikachu) since they may be able to sneak a grab in during your highest stab.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
is there anyway to get out of waveshines? during teams yesterday, i ran into being waveshined 2 or 3 times. but i must say, one of the best marths there didnt wanna use marth against me anymore cuz of the combos i got on him during team. since marth is floaty, from a grab, dont waste a utilt unless ur sure they're gonna jump n u can steal it, instead ive been short hopping bairs to reset them at low percents cuz then u can just grab them again and once they are around 60-70% bair-bair-nair fair

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
and i didnt get to work wit the ICs grab much cuz no1 thur played wit ICs or Link, but i did pull off wobbling on teams and did the handoff twice to peach. but ive been having trouble land the turnaround jab wit link, either i ftilt (which is wat usually happens) or dash attack. so that mean im just not letting go of the thumbstick soon enough? is it that u wanna simply jump bair with the cstick then soon as u hit the ground hit the thumbstick in the direction u want REAL quick n then hit A?

HiIH

Smash Lord
Getting waveshined sucks. You have to switch up your di, to really get out of it, and then there's no guarantee. Like if you di down I believe it shortens the distance you get shined significantly, but it doesn't mean you'll get out. Pretty much hold down the shield button with the cstick tilted in a direction to insta roll if you get your shield to come up, and then switch your di up with the control stick. Watch for the usmash, as you can see it coming out of a waveshine, and di it out and away from the fox WHEN you get hit by it, because if the fox knows what he's doing... well you're gonna get hit by it.

cjugs

Smash Ace
is there anyway to get out of waveshines? during teams yesterday, i ran into being waveshined 2 or 3 times. but i must say, one of the best marths there didnt wanna use marth against me anymore cuz of the combos i got on him during team. since marth is floaty, from a grab, dont waste a utilt unless ur sure they're gonna jump n u can steal it, instead ive been short hopping bairs to reset them at low percents cuz then u can just grab them again and once they are around 60-70% bair-bair-nair fair
Nope sorry if you smash Di you may get out of a few but i would highly doubt it just make sure you DI after because he is most like going to upsmash after. Yeah link seems to combo marth relle well but it's hard to get in a grab. I have no idea about bair turnaround jab i honestly just do it i don't think about it.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
samus vs link? by next week ima try and get multiple vids in versing mario, sheik and falco. and if i can get some of the tourney goers to come thru, then hopefully ill have vids against some really good falcons, marths, samus n falcos. i need major critiquing since the only time i was highly efficient last week was on teams and versing marths and samus. got tore apart by a highly favored falco main in my state

Skler

Smash Master
3:10 is what I have to say about grab combos on Marth

Samus vs Link isn't too bad. Stay away from her and spam, she's better at both CQC (close quarters combat) and CC (crouch canceling) than you. She will **** you if you start off by trying to stab her a lot. Once she's in the air feel free to pursue her, but don't try and start things on the ground like you usually do. She must be in the air if you want to get decent combos!

cjugs

Smash Ace
Haha yeah that sucks bair may have worked idk though i've been screwing around with combon him and i definetly see potential. i've never had the opertunity to play a good samus other than Rockcrock but he's good with every character and was just messing around, looks like a fun matchup though.
Why would she be better at CQC or whatever link looks to have range with fairs and stuff.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
Why would she be better at CQC or whatever link looks to have range with fairs and stuff.
i'd like to kno this too. her down smash is sick, her jab is actually pretty quick, she's got a real nice nair and her fair+uair are good for setting up combos. but i kno wen i was playin i did stay at a distance n throw projectiles, making sure to set arrows out to absorb her missiles. i think u can win the projectile war with her which kinda forces her to come to u

cjugs

Smash Ace
I don't think arrows are a good idea to throw out and stop missiles. For one links shield will stop it and if you have a bomb you can jump or try and powershield.

Skler

Smash Master
Samus easily CCs everything you can do up close and punishes with Dsmash, fsmash, ftilt or dtilt. She has better shield pressure (who doesn't) and has moves with more dangerous knockback.

She is nasty up close if she's on the ground.

Samus can CC bombs if she waits for both hits, but the double hit is usually enough to give you time to whack her. If she's patient she can still CC that attack and punish though. She's a dangerous lady when you approach.

HiIH

Smash Lord
If a samus just sits staring at you crouching, try the fullhopped nair, dj nair, and land in a shield. She can't really do anything except try to trade aerials, and if she shield grabs, you can easily see it coming. Look out for Samus bomb shenanigans off your shield though, like her laying two bombs, jumping off one and dairing.

Skler

Smash Master
I don't like going above Samus due to her uair. Doesn't it hit through Link's nair? She's got a retardedly good defensive game against close attacks due to shield -> upB and just plain CCing.

dablackpacman

Smash Ace
depending on distances, but i always try to (of course) di up and towards the closest platform

we have a tournament this weekend, so ima try and get some vids on here so i can critique'd

PEEF!

Smash Hero
On IC chaingrabs.

Dthrow Dair does not work, neither does Dthrow reverse dair. With no DI it works, but Link can DI out.

Sopo dthrow CG is weird. Just like ganon's chaingrab on spacies, it is possible but it requires prediction, and link can DI up and jump out around like 50 or something. But if Link DI's away, the chaingrab works until like 120, so just stop DIing away every time. They can run and grab your foot that flips up as he is falling in hitstun.

Top Bottom