• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Link's Take Over - Q&A and General Link Discussion

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
Cool got it, I can do that.

Gimps and Dair should be my main focus for training kill moves then?

Thor

Smash Champion

If you can tech chase into spin attack or fsmash [preferably fsmash2], that works as well. Someone can by all means call me out, but I'm pretty sure if we correctly read where Fox goes after a dthrow around 120% [too early to spin attack him if he DIs down and away], walk slightly -> fsmash 1 -> immediate fsmash2 can always hit him [and will kill]. Hard read? Absolutely. But it might be safer than spin attack there [although you can dash -> spin attack of course].

As for why people stick with Link [a post on the previous page], my answer's pretty similar to SAUS... I generally do worse with other characters. The biggest case in point - I'm trying to develop an answer specifically to Fox, at least until I can make myself consistently SDI drill and shine, because a Fox player in the area says he's really good at the MU and usually molly-whops me, more so than people who are 3 or 4 on the PR and don't play Fox. [Sheik is a struggle but less so, I actually usually handle myself fine vs Falco]. I do better against this person usually while playing Captain Falcon because they seem to struggle with Captain Falcon [and still lose, at least thus far].

However, there is another Fox main who is of similar skill level [I believe they have sets off each other]. My Falcon [and I think I used Falco once and that got bodied too] is winless vs this dude [a few games, little else], while my Link? Unbeaten. And he'll waveshine me around too, but something's... different... and I can keep up, for whatever reason.

It's almost certainly the practice, but SAUS [and to a much lesser extent, myself] are at the point where switching characters is extremely difficult. [I may not, but] SAUS has a ton of Link-specific stuff layered in already, and while switching would give him a stronger toolkit, his opponents will know significantly more about dealing with those tools as well. Staying with the character is also fun, and we all know he's the best Link there is at this point [sorry Lootic, my money's on SAUS if you two meet up], but it's also just hard to switch this far in. Frankly, it's amazing Plup and Shroomed lost so little ground when they switched [and even then, it took I think a year or more to really go back to where they were... Hax was 6th best when he quit Falcon and still isn't even really top 10].

And as for being held back, I said something a little extreme once, but I think it's still true, uncomfortably so... when you get up from a setup, confident you did everything correctly, made every humanly possible correct choice, dropped nothing whatsoever, and lost the set, then you know your character held you back. Until then, the losses fall squarely on you.

P.S: As for that Fox main who usually bodies me [I have one set off him ever, first time we ever played], I'm trying to improve, but also looking at Samus closely [we have no Samus players in my area].

P.P.S [Random PSA]: If you've never played it before, and you earnestly believe you need to drop Link in Melee... you could try PM Link? His nair is buff-nerfed [more damage but less duration because the PMDT likes to take good things away from bad characters], which is also true for his grab and a few other moves [in different ways], but he overall has much better sword hitboxes, a higher runspeed, and a couple other boons [not to mention (mild) nerfs Fox/Falco/Sheik received]. While I 100% respect someone's decision to not play PM, and also understand that there's some risks involved in playing multiple versions of the same character, if you wanna try PM, there's never been a better time, what with 3.6 being the golden build and the championship circuit that was announced recently.

But again, I fully get why people would stick to Melee, and don't want to push it, so I won't mention it again here unless someone asks [or it seems extremely relevant, which is unlikely].

Last edited:

Eradicator

Smash Rookie

That's a good start, uair is safer but it won't kill for a while. Gimping them is important, if you fail to gimp a fox, he can come back and take a stock and a half from you. Also Ftilt works to edge guard similarly to Marth's fsmash (harder to time). Watch the Germ's hylian nightmare combo video for inspiration, as you practice you will notice what he is doing in his combos.

Eradicator

Smash Rookie
If you can tech chase into spin attack or fsmash [preferably fsmash2], that works as well. Someone can by all means call me out, but I'm pretty sure if we correctly read where Fox goes after a dthrow around 120% [too early to spin attack him if he DIs down and away], walk slightly -> fsmash 1 -> immediate fsmash2 can always hit him [and will kill]. Hard read? Absolutely. But it might be safer than spin attack there [although you can dash -> spin attack of course].

P.P.S [Random PSA]: If you've never played it before, and you earnestly believe you need to drop Link in Melee... you could try PM Link? His nair is buff-nerfed [more damage but less duration because the PMDT likes to take good things away from bad characters], which is also true for his grab and a few other moves [in different ways], but he overall has much better sword hitboxes, a higher runspeed, and a couple other boons [not to mention (mild) nerfs Fox/Falco/Sheik received]. While I 100% respect someone's decision to not play PM, and also understand that there's some risks involved in playing multiple versions of the same character, if you wanna try PM, there's never been a better time, what with 3.6 being the golden build and the championship circuit that was announced recently.

But again, I fully get why people would stick to Melee, and don't want to push it, so I won't mention it again here unless someone asks [or it seems extremely relevant, which is unlikely].
I started entering PM tournaments with Link and I actually do better than I do in melee. I don't even practice, I just enter with melee knowledge and always make top 8. Melee is where its at though to me, I was really salty about losing to a Marth in melee then I beat the same guy later in PM. It honestly made me feel a little better. If i get serious I will learn his tech in PM though.

Link is my secondary and I'm doing nothing but solo smash practice over the break. So roughly 7 days with 2-3 hours a day of time to practice and grind. What can I do to practice moving fluidly with link and what things are there to practice in general with him?
Shielddrop, ledgedash, rising bair > DJ w/e.

Does anybody's know all the stages link can go under? And are their videos or can ya'll walk me through it.
Bomb jump lets you go under all stages you can go under. Its not very practical in a match though as you need lots of damage to be able to do it for some stages like Hyrule Temple. You can go under BF with the hookshot only if you are able to do an extreme snipe shot at the far tooth of the thing that holds the orb of the stage.

Last edited:

Eradicator

Smash Rookie
I keep losing to a PR fox #6 but I can beat #4. #6's style is aggressive and it kills my projectiles and his neutral is better than mine. Until he gets to 50% I can't combo him either. Interestingly enough there was a Fox early in tournament yesterday that used that same style, I beat him and I could tell he was relatively new but when he pressured I still couldn't move. I'm going to look up some top Link matches vs aggressive Fox's if anyone knows of any I'm all ears.

aVerySneakyBox

Smash Rookie
NNID
boxxku
3DS FC
0001-3530-7749
Hi guys! I guess this would be the right place to put this anyways,

What do you guys think of these combos(if thats the right term) :

grab, u-throw or d-throw, up tilt or dsmash/dtilt, f-tilt or sh bair depending on where they go, dash attack 2x then end it with a sh dair or finish with f-smash.

f-smash x2, d-tilt, dash attack, bair/nair, grab,up throw, uair, bomb/ boomerang, sh fair, dash attack, grab, down throw , up b.

thoughts?

SAUS

Smash Ace
Hi guys! I guess this would be the right place to put this anyways,

What do you guys think of these combos(if thats the right term) :

grab, u-throw or d-throw, up tilt or dsmash/dtilt, f-tilt or sh bair depending on where they go, dash attack 2x then end it with a sh dair or finish with f-smash.

f-smash x2, d-tilt, dash attack, bair/nair, grab,up throw, uair, bomb/ boomerang, sh fair, dash attack, grab, down throw , up b.

thoughts?
A combo can't be that long in melee in terms of a list of steps. DI messes that kind of thing up way too much. You have to react to how they DI to keep a combo going. Combos are also drastically different depending on weight / fall speed / move set of the victim.

There's also the fact that most combos are not true combos. What I mean by that is there are points where the victim actually can act (jump, attack, air dodge, etc). You have to play around those spots a bit by using attacks that will not lose to their attacks (outspace them or trade where they're stuck in the air and you can CC or something).

Thor

Smash Champion
Alright, basic question but an important one that's left me a little bit annoyed and cost me some sets I could have otherwise won [including sets where I had knocked them into loser's bracket before getting knocked down myself].

How does Link deal with platform camping [mainly from Falco]?

I have played at least a few Falcos who [when they have a lead] retreat to the top platform and wait for me to do something. I can pull a bomb for free, but I'm not sure what to do with it... and if I run at them, they'll move off the other side and usually fire lasers or try to bair as they descend. I can try to explain more if needed but I don't have footage of it and I'd guess SAUS, Lootic, and others have experienced this before [if not, there's either something I'm doing that lends itself to that counter, or there's something easy I could be doing to stop this that I'm not].

Any advice is appreciated.

P.S.: A while ago, some people were curious about the Kirby MU [possibly as a result of CnB Chandy's joke videos]. Recently I got to play Triple R [probably best Kirby main in the world, #4 on MN Melee Power Rankings] and managed to take a game off him [ironically employing platform camping for small parts of the match, but not as a dedicated strategy (I maybe should have?)] and learned some things about the MU if people are still curious about it [if that's a thing of the past, then it doesn't really matter, since the MU is so ridiculously rare].

SAUS

Smash Ace
Falco (and fox) camping the top platform is actually pretty annoying. Maybe I don't know a the best way to deal with it, but it just feels like it's hard to properly pressure them for being up there. Pulling a bomb is definitely the right choice. I think you should basically just throw it straight up at them. Dash dance around a lot in case he comes down. You don't want them to land right on top of you. Hide under side platforms to pull out bombs.

Slowly repeating those steps will net you free damage and potentially free openings. They'll have to do something about it at some point. It's important to realise that they probably won't be able to time you out - you can deal with this situation very patiently.

Another solution which is maybe more suited to dreamland (and that might be the only stage, lol) is to throw upward angled boomerangs from the side platforms. It's a little dangerous, but I don't think they can properly directly punish you for it.

In any case, just remember that getting them to stop camping is all you want to do. You don't need to get a big opening off of it. I think it is not useful for them to camp unless you are going about it the wrong way and giving them free openings.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Does anyone know how links tether sweet spot works on the ledge?
Which part of it? It is actually super complex with stupid amounts of variables and I don't think anyone has actually mapped it all out (or even tried to lol).

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Which part of it? It is actually super complex with stupid amounts of variables and I don't think anyone has actually mapped it all out (or even tried to lol).
lol well from my understanding all you have to do is aim as high on the stage as possible and retract the hook shot within frames 4-9. I read a quote from mangus saying that the frame window changes as a result of the way the hook shots ECB interacting with different stages. Why does the Hookshots ECB do different things on different stages?

edit:
"Magus420 said:
From what I can tell you snap to the edge if you're within range when the reeling in breaks (if you're not in range you go into the jump and won't grab on until you start moving downwards), and the speed of the pull in is based on the distance between Link and an invisible box thing that starts off where it connected to the wall. When you do it while hanging directly below it's at max distance between the two so you move crazy fast (like almost a full body height per frame), and the distance between where you are last vulnerable and the edge (sweetspot distance) can end up being really large when the pull in speed is at its greatest.

Also, the invisible hookshot box thingy used to determine the speed gradually moves downward over time and closer to Link, so the longer you wait before pulling in the slower you will move. When the pull in is slower it will need to be hooked in closer to the edge to be able to snap on, since when you get above the point where it breaks you won't have gone far enough past it to be in range of the edge.

For example, if you hook in about half a body height below the edge and then pull in as soon as you are hanging directly below you'll snap on because you'll go from being below where it triggers a break to being within grab range when it breaks on the next frame. If you wait a bit before pulling in you aren't moving as fast per frame and aren't as far above the break point when you go past it, and go into the jump instead since you didn't grab on."

Here's the quote. Which makes me wounder. He talks about the hookshot breaking before you latch to the edge and that causes the jump. But what frame does the break happen/ what causes the break and how can it be avoided?

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
lol well from my understanding all you have to do is aim as high on the stage as possible and retract the hook shot within frames 4-9. I read a quote from mangus saying that the frame window changes as a result of the way the hook shots ECB interacting with different stages. Why does the Hookshots ECB do different things on different stages?
Ya that's basically all I know. Though, I find aiming very high makes the hookshot break sometimes when you let Link drop all the way down.

I don't know the actual code, so I don't know why the frame window changes with different ECB positions. This is why I said I don't think it's mapped out anywhere. I haven't seen any more detail than this.

I find it is super consistent on pokemon stadium regardless of where you hit with the hookshot.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Spacies camping at the top platform is super annoying for sure. Some of them retreat to the side platforms like you described and others wait until I'm below them to go for a dair. Only thing that seems to remotely annoy them is throwing the bomb straight up at them. Otherwise I've been experimenting with timing my Uair right for when they attempt to drop down and dair me, but I either I suck at doing that or it's not that great to use in a situation like that.

SAUS

Smash Ace
Spacies camping at the top platform is super annoying for sure. Some of them retreat to the side platforms like you described and others wait until I'm below them to go for a dair. Only thing that seems to remotely annoy them is throwing the bomb straight up at them. Otherwise I've been experimenting with timing my Uair right for when they attempt to drop down and dair me, but I either I suck at doing that or it's not that great to use in a situation like that.
It's dangerous to try to up-air them because they can always just jump back to the platform. Their vertical air speed basically lets them dash dance vertically. If you commit to a move as slow as up-air, they can often easily get a punish if they're in the right spot. If they're not, they can just jump back to the platform.

You can maybe try to mess with them by doing empty jumps / wavelands / dash dancing, but I'm not sure how effective it would be.

PeanutReaper486

Smash Rookie
I'm not exactly a L0nkMaster4000, but dependent on stage, Link can throw a bomb upwards and have it land on the platform without popping. Dunno if anyone's experimented with that, it doesn't really pressure them at all, it's just like "oh there's a bomb here now." Works on like, Battlefield and Dreamland, can't get it on Yoshi's and haven't tried on FoD. Short hop, then throw bomb up just a wee bit before Link lands, do a little earlier for Dreamland.

Gives you something to do while that lame-o gets his butt off the top platform.

Boomerang-catch taunt cancels are a nice gimmick for top platform campers. Throw 'rang, taunt a little before you catch it if they're still up there. Still a bit risky, but it works well on mentally weak platform campers.

Thor

Smash Champion
Falco (and fox) camping the top platform is actually pretty annoying. Maybe I don't know a the best way to deal with it, but it just feels like it's hard to properly pressure them for being up there. Pulling a bomb is definitely the right choice. I think you should basically just throw it straight up at them. Dash dance around a lot in case he comes down. You don't want them to land right on top of you. Hide under side platforms to pull out bombs.

Slowly repeating those steps will net you free damage and potentially free openings. They'll have to do something about it at some point. It's important to realise that they probably won't be able to time you out - you can deal with this situation very patiently.

Another solution which is maybe more suited to dreamland (and that might be the only stage, lol) is to throw upward angled boomerangs from the side platforms. It's a little dangerous, but I don't think they can properly directly punish you for it.

In any case, just remember that getting them to stop camping is all you want to do. You don't need to get a big opening off of it. I think it is not useful for them to camp unless you are going about it the wrong way and giving them free openings.
This advice was extremely helpful. While I don't have footage of this that I can think of, I'll definitely try to slow myself down when I notice them standing on the top platform when I didn't put them there, especially if they're resetting there, and try to be more patient in general [and I should probably work on my patience - I think of myself as patient vs floaties and while playing Smash 4 but that sort of thing can always use work].

I'll try to DD more to cover landings, and based on this advice, I probably go for way too many [in retrospect] obvious uairs, especially with how laggy the move is landing. As you mentioned in a subsequent post, I can maybe experiment with empty hops and wavelands, especially if I catch myself committed to a bad jump [instead of going through with a bad uair, just land since I can react to them coming down with a much better uair or get out of the way since I have no uair lag].

I don't usually have this issue on DL but I'll keep that solution in mind too. And the last pointer about the only goal being to stop them is also great advice that I really appreciate.

I've also had a modified version of this issue with one Puff I've started beating [our games on Battlefield would average 6+ minutes because he would spend most of the game air-camping way above the stage, looking for an obvious time to land and maybe go in or else go back up... there are videos of him beating me but not the other way around because our streaming got a lot more inconsistent] and I'll keep it in mind for that too [although I have to be more decisive when that's happening because timeouts can actually occur in Link Puff unlike with Link spacie where it should almost never occur].

What about bomb planting on the top platform by throwing it upwards, it will restrict their movement a little. Then you could also move to a side platform and make your attack from there, this gives you plenty of options like jumping in with a nair or fair, throw a rang or a bomb.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
I actually forgot about them jumping back on the platform, so easy for them to come back down for the punish once it's safe ;-;. I've also seen some Sheiks use this on me, but I'm fairly certain that it's easier to punish her than it is spacies. Falcons idr if I've seen one try this on me or not (I need to fight more Falcons). Some of the spacies I fought were patient enough to make me go challenge them on the top platform once they've figured out I couldn't do much while they're up there and I'm below them :/ .

PeanutReaper486

Smash Rookie
Doing any action when the boomerang touches Link doesn't trigger the catch animation, but if you're in the air, or standing, while not doing anything, Link will go out of his way to catch it. The aerial catch has costed me some stocks when I was paying attention to the 'rang.

In pre-1.02 Melee(or PAL), Link can grapple in mid-air, as his boomerang returns to him and it'll cancel the grapple, extending his recovery considerably. As a new-school Link I've never actually used this, or the rang superjump.

garotis

Smash Cadet
I've recently obtained verification of something I've always felt from all people whenever I play as Link: a genuine dislike and non-enjoyment of playing against Link. Have any of you intuited that your opponents felt this way? Where people have this feeling of "Ah geez, a Link, great, some low-tier. I'd rather be playing against a high-tier fastfaller; this isn't good practice?"

I was playing against a Dr. Mario on netplay a few days ago. After I took two stocks, this guy began to camp with pills the entire match, never approaching. After he won, he claimed it was to educate me on how frustrating it is to play against a "spammer," which "all Link players are" by his definition. So -- he showed me how much of a spammer I was by spamming pills and camping against me the entire match. Impressive.

Anyway -- I feel that Link *has* to use his projectiles as much as possible purely because his normals are so unsafe. This playstyle I've adopted with Link, wherein I use projectiles to interrupt dash dances, edgeguard, etc. (as all Links should), makes me feel as if all of my opponents simply dread playing me because of projectile usage. With this impression, playing as Link versus other people isn't very fun, seeing as how I appear to be making the game un-enjoyable for my opponents, which I definitely do not want. I just want to play some melee as Link.

SAUS SAUS , surely you've encountered complaints of the above type before? Someone constantly complaining about bombs? Calling you a "spammer," or some other such nonsense? Do you actively attempt to NOT use projectiles in your matches, except for the occasional bomb-dair on Marth/Peach/Whoever? Are you against projectile-heavy playstyles? Purely just curious.

Last edited:

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
I've recently obtained verification of something I've always felt from all people whenever I play as Link: a genuine dislike and non-enjoyment of playing against Link. Have any of you intuited that your opponents felt this way? Where people have this feeling of "Ah geez, a Link, great, some low-tier. I'd rather be playing against a high-tier fastfaller; this isn't good practice?"

I was playing against a Dr. Mario on netplay a few days ago. After I took two stocks, this guy began to camp with pills the entire match, never approaching. After he won, he claimed it was to educate me on how frustrating it is to play against a "spammer," which "all Link players are" by his definition. So -- he showed me how much of a spammer I was by spamming pills and camping against me the entire match. Impressive.

Anyway -- I feel that Link *has* to use his projectiles as much as possible purely because his normals are so unsafe. This playstyle I've adopted with Link, wherein I use projectiles to interrupt dash dances, edgeguard, etc. (as all Links should), makes me feel as if all of my opponents simply dread playing me because of projectile usage. With this impression, playing as Link versus other people isn't very fun, seeing as how I appear to be making the game un-enjoyable for my opponents, which I definitely do not want. I just want to play some melee as Link.

SAUS SAUS , surely you've encountered complaints of the above type before? Someone constantly complaining about bombs? Calling you a "spammer," or some other such nonsense? Do you actively attempt to NOT use projectiles in your matches, except for the occasional bomb-dair on Marth/Peach/Whoever? Are you against projectile-heavy playstyles? Purely just curious.
Hello there, I'm not SAUS, but I am a netplay Link player like yourself, and I can tell you that I experience the same things on netplay. I can tell you from my irl experiences so far, that players are less likely to put you down irl than they are behind a computer. When you're going for purely the win, how much fun the opponent has is irrelevant. Imo your goal for netplay should primarily be to learn. However I do feel you when you say you want to play more "hype". I can tell you now that some players on netplay will never change their stance on Link even if you start using projectiles a little less. I can literally name a few netplayers by their netplay username who are naturally toxic in this regard. You have two options with these kinds of people: 1) put them on ignore and never play them again or 2) continue playing them, kicking their ass, and block out what they say, as most players on netplay aren't even good enough to take a set off a mid-level player (most toxic players seem to be low levelled players, while it's not 100% true for every low levelled player, it's an observation that appears to be true for the most part. This is because lower levelled players generally have a lack of understanding on how to deal with certain situations, such as fighting a Link). Another fun fact: some of these players are also hypocrites. One player just dash dance camps and calls everyone else gay (especially me) for using projectiles when he does that, he gets called out in the main chat for it too. Doc is one of the campiest characters in the game, if he's going to camp you, then you have every right to camp him. It's his fault for making you play a certain way.

Something I'm trying to experiment with is studying Axe. Other Links might think it's a bad idea, but Axe does have a pretty solid Young Link. Young Link and Link have the same frame data, it's how the moves work, Young Link's speed, and his jumpsquat + wavedash are different. I'd say he's the closest thing to hype you can get with a (Young) Link.

Tldr; Do what you have to if you're going for the win. In terms of playing "hype", then I suppose try experimenting a bit more till you find a playstyle that YOU personally like. You do not need to cater to anyone. As long as YOU are having fun with the game, that's what matters. It's sort of like why people like playing Jiggs or ICs. While players that play them generally receive negative feedback, they are having FUN playing the game.

PeanutReaper486

Smash Rookie
I was playing against a Dr. Mario on netplay a few days ago. After I took two stocks, this guy began to camp with pills the entire match, never approaching. After he won---
D'aw, I was really hoping you'd put that lil scrub in his place.

Quick tip, Link's nair is amazing at battling projectiles. Just run in with it as he commits to another pill. Invaluable vs Samus, other Links, etc. Sadly it doesn't work with lasers, transcendent and all that. Never tried with Sheik's needles tbh, I just crouch 'em.

garotis

Smash Cadet
PeanutReaper486 PeanutReaper486
Yeah, if it was a tourney match I would have just not approached and timed him out; I just became quite bored and approached. His pills were still hitting me due to the amazing angles they can achieve on Dreamland. I recall my nair blocking a pill, the pill slowing down, and then hitting me out of my nair.

Team Plasma N Team Plasma N I agree that Axe is a valid source to study. Additionally, have you seen n0ne's young link? Insanely technical.

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
So I don't know how many people get to experience it. I'm not sure if there is some required skill level (I guess there is with your tech skill, at least). Anyway, there is a state where you are completely focused and only trying to win, and your opponent is in this state as well. You are both just adapting and reacting to each other. Tech skill is not a thing - it just happens. Your decision making is instant and automatic - you are only focusing on important things that will help you make better choices (adapting, basically).

This is what I call "real melee". I think most people do not play real melee. In this state, playing to win, playing to learn, and playing for fun are actually all the same thing. It is why I play melee. There is nothing else I have experienced that is so engaging and so thrilling.

To bring myself out of that and start talking about garbage like tier lists, lame characters / strategies, how bad my character is, etc. Why do that? That is not what is happening when I am playing real melee. It is just a bunch of garbage that lower level players bicker about. If someone can't enjoy playing against my Link, then they don't play real melee.

There is no "turning on for tournament" for me - what I mean is that I have learned this way of playing real melee and it is now just how I play. This is to address the "if it was tournament, I would have just timed him out" - I think that is not the right way to think about it. I think timing him out would not work, and I also think that not getting a setup where you just win in this case is a big mistake. Don't answer their "being lame" with "being lame" or frustrated yourself. Just find a way to slaughter them and move on. If it is not something you're used to, it is a perfect learning opportunity. Use it :p

PeanutReaper486

Smash Rookie
Damn, Saus hits home with that one. You don't develop as a player if you whine and bicker about "lame" things.

Mango once said to Scar, "You don't grow as a player, cause you're a rager", In response to Scar about his thoughts on Toph always sweetspotting ledge with sideB. Mango then satirically trained Scar on stream to adapt to Toph's recovery.

Play the game to have fun, win, whatever. Just, play.

Thor

Smash Champion
I don't know where the thread went, but I wanted to bring something back up [been busy with schoolwork, haven't gotten to really lab how boomerang offstage interacts with up+b, sorry].

In rest punishes, I know 22% dair is the most damaging single-hit move, and also that Link's attempts to combo stuff are vulnerable to SDI... has anyone considered punishing rest with fully charged arrow? If fresh, it do 18%, which is 4% less, but this doesn't stale dair [it can help unstale it], and another fun fact: if someone tries to survival DI arrow, they pop almost straight up, which I would guess may give us a uair vs Puff at some percents [or you could pull a bomb, shoot the arrow, and throw the bomb]. I mention this because charged arrows are a hilarious method of edgeguarding Falcon [if you get him at nearly point blank, it either combos into fair or they DI'd far enough away to where you can probably just reset the situation].

If they DI away, we get nothing but our 18%, but if they DI in, it may technically combo and do more damage than just strong dair.

I don't know where the thread went, but I wanted to bring something back up [been busy with schoolwork, haven't gotten to really lab how boomerang offstage interacts with up+b, sorry].

In rest punishes, I know 22% dair is the most damaging single-hit move, and also that Link's attempts to combo stuff are vulnerable to SDI... has anyone considered punishing rest with fully charged arrow? If fresh, it do 18%, which is 4% less, but this doesn't stale dair [it can help unstale it], and another fun fact: if someone tries to survival DI arrow, they pop almost straight up, which I would guess may give us a uair vs Puff at some percents [or you could pull a bomb, shoot the arrow, and throw the bomb]. I mention this because charged arrows are a hilarious method of edgeguarding Falcon [if you get him at nearly point blank, it either combos into fair or they DI'd far enough away to where you can probably just reset the situation].

If they DI away, we get nothing but our 18%, but if they DI in, it may technically combo and do more damage than just strong dair.
Not a bad idea, I think ill try it.

Rodrick Strickland

Smash Rookie
Does link have a high skill level in order to play him decently? I'm considering playing him and I want to know how to practice with link?

Last edited:

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Wow link boards are dead.
Anyway last night I had trouble edge guarding a Falco who was particularly proficient at sweet Spoting his up B. The only answers I had to this were D-tilt or F-smash if I got there in time. I would try to intercept him with rang throws and bombs but he was really good at sweetspoting... If he didn't suck at getting if the edge it would have been more annoying.

Last edited:

PeanutReaper486

Smash Rookie
Nah, we're just quiet.

Also, grab dat edge. You could refresh invincibility and nair em when he phantasms...Or just hold edge, your choice really. Dead falco either way.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Nah, we're just quiet.

Also, grab dat edge. You could refresh invincibility and nair em when he phantasms...Or just hold edge, your choice really. Dead falco either way.
Yeah that's how I would do it a lot of the times. I ment if I'm not in range to grab the ledge sorry for not being specific. A lot of the time I would barely make it there for a spin hog - ledge hop nair.

Last edited:

SAUS

Smash Ace
There is no way to buffer throw bombs.

Do you mean when falco is below the ledge? Boomerang will only work if it hits before his up-b starts. It is very possible to tell if you can hit with it or not based on timing and the angle. If you have time, jumping off the stage and nairing him will kill him (that is your best option), otherwise, with a little less time, taking the ledge and trying to intercept with an invincible nair or dropping a bomb if you have one are good options. If you don't even have time for that, d-tilt is definitely your best bet. It is hard to sweetspot so perfectly to avoid getting hit by it. They may tech or they may not get hit, but you can't do anything without enough time. It's almost always a kill if the d-tilt hits and they don't tech, though.

garotis

Smash Cadet
Just popping in to say that whenever I get a down tilt --> aerial up-b combo on a Marth or Falcon at mid-to-high percent, I become moist.

Edit: HNNNNGGG

Last edited:
Top Bottom