• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's new attack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
It'd be interesting if true, because wasn't his dash attack pretty useful? This new one looks slower. I'm actually hoping it's his new forward tilt, but it really could be anything as changes are happening constantly (Sonic's d-air meteor smashes now yet didn't in his reveal trailer, for example).

Also, this a pretty interesting pose for Link's up-air (possibly done to help his hurtbox from being too vulnerable);
EDIT: Actually... yeah, I'm persuaded that it's his new dash attack now. 15:40 into the direct he uses it against Donkey Kong straight out of a dash. Then right afterwards does his altered up-air.

Last edited:

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
The dash attack seems to be based on the running jumpslash you could do in Skyward Sword. I don't like the new U-Air pose, I liked it better when it was based off Zelda II.

thedoctr11

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thedoctr11
Im having a hard time taking a proper screen shot of it but whats up with Links FAir @ 15:40 in the direct? He's surrounded by a blue aura. Possibly a charged Fair?

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
Im having a hard time taking a proper screen shot of it but whats up with Links FAir @ 15:40 in the direct? He's surrounded by a blue aura. Possibly a charged Fair?
That aura is a new feature, whenever a player gets a kill, they glow a bit to emphasize which player got the kill.

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
I think his new dash attack could still be useful. It has a lot more distance to it, it seems to me. Maybe it'll be better for punishing landings as opposed to continuing juggling.... Maybe more like a snake DA?

Also, maybe it's a lot more powerful (but I haven't looked back over the Direct again, so who knows?)...

As a side note, I really, really, really like the direction and style of this smash, and I hope to God Link is not garbage this time around...

Last edited:

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
It's seen in the Direct clearly at the 35:12 mark.

GIF here!

I thought a new topic is deserved for any speculation. What could it be replacing?

As others have said, likely a new Dash Attack.. It may take me a while to get used to the animation if that's the finalized variant, though.. :<

It'd be interesting if true, because wasn't his dash attack pretty useful? This new one looks slower. I'm actually hoping it's his new forward tilt, but it really could be anything as changes are happening constantly (Sonic's d-air meteor smashes now yet didn't in his reveal trailer, for example).

Also, this a pretty interesting pose for Link's up-air (possibly done to help his hurtbox from being too vulnerable);

EDIT: Actually... yeah, I'm persuaded that it's his new dash attack now. 15:40 into the direct he uses it against Donkey Kong straight out of a dash. Then right afterwards does his altered up-air.
The dash attack seems to be based on the running jumpslash you could do in Skyward Sword. I don't like the new U-Air pose, I liked it better when it was based off Zelda II.
Agreed; I love the old "Up-Stab"/Up Aerial attack pose... This new variant looks like Link is just now finding out how to do an upwards aerial attack for the first time, like he's a newbie at wielding a sword, awkwardly going "ENNH!".. :x

Last edited:

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Agreed; I love the old "Up-Stab"/Up Aerial attack pose... This new variant looks like Link is just now finding out how to do an upwards aerial attack for the first time, like he's a newbie at wielding a sword, awkwardly going "ENNH!".. :x
I kinda like it. It does look weird at first, but it looks like Link is reclining mid-air. The pose seems much more comfortable for him.

Also, his idle was changed too.

And I noticed that his backwards dodge roll has been changed to his backflip. FINALLY! 22:36 of the Direct video for the reference.

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
Heh, I'm pretty sure Link still had his Brawl idle in the Developer Direct. It's cool to see the game evolve like this.

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
I meant he had the Brawl idle animation in the E3 Developer Direct, sorry.

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Well his new dash attack will have a bigger hitbox, and may potentially be a killing move, also it looks like Link has a faster roll, giving him more mobility, also his up b looks to be a much better recovery

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
New dash attack seems to be better for covering above and farther ahead of him, whereas the old one hit a bit behind and in front of him.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!

Heat Flash confirmed!

If only he still had Fire Arrows, then my Saturos Link would be complete.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Honestly, this pose seems more natural to me. Plus, it seems he will be less vulnerable during it.

As for the new Dash Attack, I like that the Jump Attack is finally getting some love.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Honestly, this pose seems more natural to me. Plus, it seems he will be less vulnerable during it.

As for the new Dash Attack, I like that the Jump Attack is finally getting some love.
Part of me wonders if it might be a little something to differentiate the Link's some more. Regardless, I love the look of this new move.

Coldie75

Smash Rookie
So uhh...
In this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV5nH1kToa8
at 1:16, it seemed to me that that was Link's dash-attack... It's just copied over from brawl, so when I saw it a while ago I assumed that was just it. Then I stumbled upon this, and I'm pretty sure the two moves are different.

Or it could be outdated or I could just be really stupid right now. Just food for thought. :D

BigHairyFart

Salty Supreme
NNID
JackAzzMcTittles
So uhh...
In this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV5nH1kToa8
at 1:16, it seemed to me that that was Link's dash-attack... It's just copied over from brawl, so when I saw it a while ago I assumed that was just it. Then I stumbled upon this, and I'm pretty sure the two moves are different.

Or it could be outdated or I could just be really stupid right now. Just food for thought. :D
Yeah, his dash attack was likely changed from that to the running jumpslash we seem to have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom