• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Match-ups: Export #7: Samus

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Match-up #7: Samus

Link vs Samus
45:55 Samus
Samus against Link is pretty even, both characters have their advantages but Samus has one little thing that gives her a small advantage.

When is comes to camp game Samus' will be better in this match-up. It's not that her spam is necessarily better than Link's in term of versatility, it's just outright faster than Link's. Her missle spam just comes out faster with her Short hopping making her missles create walls for her forcing Link to move through. Her Zair is longer than our, plus her charge shot is a long range killer. Link on the other hand has a short zair but his will do more damage if both hits of Zair hit her.

Samus, however, lacks in the ability to kill. Link has no trouble with killing not only that but his close up game is much better than Samus' This is one MU where approaching should be done and one where it's better than trying to camp. If Samus is Zair happy just learn how to shield her Zair and missles properly while trying to disrupt her camp game with some of Link's projectiles and you should be able to help you approach. Link's sword length is good for helping keep good spacing. Once you get up close make sure you can stay there.

One thing makes this MU slightly in Samus' favor, it's when Link is put offstage. Samus' can go offstage pretty far with Zair to gimp Link and ensure he doesn't recover. On the flip side, Link isn't going to gimp Samus. She's way to floaty and her Zair has so much range to it she can latch onto the stage without any fear of harassment from Link. This is really the main reason why it's slightly her favor.

Stages, remember camping is not recommended here, so stages that help aggro games like Battlefield or Yoshi's Island are good stages to go to. Brinstar is a nice small stage that will force close combat. Don't CP Norfair, Samus can function their without much worry.
Important posts:
*look below*

Samus mains:
LINK vs SAMUS

Now before i go into the aspects of this match-up i want you people to ASSUME some things.

1. BOTH players know the match-up. Like they play it every day.
2. BOTH players are at the TOP of thier field in thier character.
3. LUCK is NOT a factor(tripping, random falling through stages....ect)

Match-up Ratio: 55-45 Samus favor.

Spam: Both side of this battle will see lots and lots of spam. However, there are advantages and disadvantage to both sides of spam.

SAMUS SPAM:

Samus can flat out spam better than link, now when i say BETTER i ONLY mean it as FASTER. We can fire 2 types of missles, one of which is lock on( we can missle cancel BOTH missles out of short hop and full hop). Our CHARGE SHOT can be fire along with our Z-air(2.5 times longer than yours) which also auto cancels at split second we touch round. CHARGE SHOT and ZAIR goes through boomerangs and arrows.

LINK SPAM: Even though link cannot spam faster than Samus, i believe Links spam is more USEFUL overall than samus spam. You bombs are considered items(this means it stops MISSLES and CHARGE SHOT). Your boomerang can obviously bring us towards you when we dont want it to happen and it can also push us away when we dont want it to. Your Zair is shorter than ours but it does more damage(ours does 4% or 7%). Your arrows are omega gay because it can hit our toes EVEN THOUGH we are shielding.

MELEE combat: To be honest, Link wins this area BIG TIME.

SAMUS MELEE OPTIONS: We KO with D-tilt/Charge Shot and Dair. F-smash and D-smash will be to weak to KO by the time a KO is needed so basicaly we KO upwards. Our jab is little range and our 2nd jab is MEGA slow.

LINK MELEE OPTIONS: You can KO earlier than us. You can spike/kill upwards/ fowards with MULTIPLE moves. Your Usmash and Utilt cover BOTH SIDES of your body. Your OOS up+b CAN KO! To comppliment ALL of this, your range is better than ours.

RECOVERY:

As YOU know, link has a BIG problem with recovery. His jumps and slow and low and his UP+B is slow and low. It can be gimped easier than pushing an old man with a walker down stairs. Its flat out HORRIBLE. To top it off, your tether isnt long so its next to useless as well as your bomb jump ability. Samus on the other hand can run off the stage and attack then have time to UP+B back to the stage. If you are REALLY far out there we can use our double jump and UP+B. We can bomb jump to stall and/or recover. Our tether is MOTHA F-ing HUGE so we can attack you while u hang on the ledge AND still grapple on to it immediatly afterwords.

STAGES:

Whats funny is, just about ANY stage you guys are good on, so is samus. However, i recommend you take us to JAPES. YES you can die if u hit the water but so do we. Yes we can camp the side but so can you. What it boils down to is WHO can KO the earliest(link) and who can KO horizantaly the best(link) on that stage.

OVERALL Though you win in the melee department and in the KO department, Samus can outspam you(due to our spam speed) and can gimp the **** out of you the split second you are off stage(ask legan about this). Since you guys do good on stages link BF and FD it kinda cancels out because samus does good on those EXACT stages. I STILL give the nod of 55-45(samus favor) due to the fact our speedy spam can shut down ALOT of link spam and links spam is HALF the battle.
Stages:

Well when dealing with CP stages i kinda look at it in a few ways:

1. I have an advantage on XYZ stage, LETS GO!
2. Man all of my CP are his too.....not cool.
3. Hmmm he banned my best CP stage, lets go to XYZ stage because i know HE will do worse on that stage than i would, LETS GO!!!!!

Even though samus AND link can DIE easy on that stage and we BOTH can camp hard on that stage, some times you gotta look at WHO does WORSE. In our case, samus does.

Now about norfair, i disagree you guys can out-camp or camp BETTER. You can kill easier though but IMO i wouldnt try to take a samus there.
I just wanted to add real quick that I think Brinstar is a good CP for Link against Samus, she won't have too much room to maneuver on stage that you can't get to which will make her spam game less effective. Her zair will be the main thing to watch for on this stage as it can hit either of the side platforms from the whole other platform. Also small blast zones on the top and sides will make killing a bit easier and hopefully the acid will keep Link from getting gimped/spiked.

Edit: I agree with Xyro's matchup ratio, I main Link and secondary Samus so this one of my favorite matchups.
Well Xyro had most of it down, good job.

pulse131

Smash Ace
hmmmm....i grew up always tought that link had the 55:45 advantage...simply cuz link had more close combat options and more killing potential. but ya like u said shorter zair and not as fast of a spam game. but in my opinion the only thing samus truly has over link is recovery and uair

Top Bottom