• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link = the sauce - Lee's Link Videos

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
We recorded a ton of matches earlier tonight. Unfortunately my Link matches weren't the best out of the set, but they weren't bad. Also unfortunate is that two of the matches were against Derek who just started playing Smash altogether a couple of weeks ago.

Anyone who says Link sucks isn't using him right. It took me weeks to figure him out. I was inspired by some players here in this forum and I decided to try him out (he was one of my mains in Melee).

Let me know what you guys think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epXoPONnOBc Link - Olimar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZVvQf1XQL0 Link - T Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb8lQbcqj6Q Link - Pikachu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFzeixcRjYM Link - Falco
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8J1sxtcgHo Link - Ike

Mann

Smash Ace
I believe you would benefit with tilts. Esp. Utilt.

Use bombs a bit more accurately. Like dropping them when jumping over. NOT throwing it down. Maybe projectiles more accurately. Try to make it so your projectiles always have a chance of hitting them, like your boomerang at least forcing them to move closer to you.

I noticed you used Dair a lot of times when you didn't need to. Too punishable at times, but awesome when land it.

In the first few vids I noticed you didn't go for a lot of grabs, any particular reason?

That's really it. Keep it up.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
I believe you would benefit with tilts. Esp. Utilt.

Use bombs a bit more accurately. Like dropping them when jumping over. NOT throwing it down. Maybe projectiles more accurately. Try to make it so your projectiles always have a chance of hitting them, like your boomerang at least forcing them to move closer to you.

I noticed you used Dair a lot of times when you didn't need to. Too punishable at times, but awesome when land it.

In the first few vids I noticed you didn't go for a lot of grabs, any particular reason?

That's really it. Keep it up.
Thanks for the crits. I have a couple questions as to why you think a couple of things.

How would I benefit from tilts? They are slower and have around the same knockback as his smashes. His up tilt has less wind down lag than his up smash, but it is significantly harder to hit with and you can't really punish his upsmash without a projectile or a nicely ranged move. You can also hyphen smash an up smash compared to an uptilt. I agree that I should use it more, but I can't see it getting too much use.

What do you mean by use my bombs more accurately? You said to use them more accurately then you said I should drop them. Dropping them is 95% of the time useless against a decent player. Throwing down has a huge advantage because it travels fast enough to catch them off guard or before they can block. I don't use bombs to hit 100% of the time, a lot of the time they are used to block off a certain path or coerce them into moving a certain way, much like Snake's grenades and mines.

Dair isn't that punishable, especially when you're trying to use it as a meaty (wake-up attack) or if they don't perfect shield. Because Link falls so fast it's hard to see a dair coming.

I don't do grabs much because they are very very punishable. Far more so than a dair, upsmash, etc etc. I use them while tech chasing for the most part.

Mann

Smash Ace
During my gameplay I find it easier to use Utilt when trying to place my opponent where I want him/her. Because of the length of time of the Usmash, I just find it efficient to set up for something else after a hit.

I find dropping them one of the best ways to try and set them up while still in air. Some of your vids show you holding on to them for sometimes too long or throwing them in places where you didn't need to. But that's just me.

Cerozero

Smash Apprentice
I see you tried to use the Upsmash canceled dash there. Pretty good link you make me want to pick him up again. So you are the Lee from those videos huh?

Legan

Smash Lord
I think you have a very good solid link that is really entertaining to watch. Nice upsmash cancels and good ledgehopping skills. Only thing I could say is be more careful with the dairs :D.

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, we got a berserker here.

Try and work on defense a bit more. Incorporate your sword with those bomb, arrow and boomerang attacks. Remember that shielding with your shield can sometimes be better than rolling since you can spin attack out if it. Oh and also you can grab out of the shield too.

lorddave551

Smash Apprentice
Only thing that really bugged me was some of the predictability. When you spot dodged you basically downsmashed 80% of the time. As stated above tilts would help significantly. Additionally, it kinda bugged me that through all the matches you used link's jab about 3 times. Its great it comes out quick and if used appropriately opens up windows to smash and generally deal damage. Your lack of grabs didn't bother me much, they don't feed into combos anymore so i don't really use them as much as i used to either. But all around a solid link.

-notic

Smash Cadet
I think you have a very good solid link that is really entertaining to watch. Nice upsmash cancels and good ledgehopping skills. Only thing I could say is be more careful with the dairs :D.
yeaa but i've fought way better falcoes that chain grab and spike as well as dash cancel and overall more skilled people than lee's opponents

lee: sometimes a spin attack works better than downsmashing if you know they'll roll behind you, i suggest you work on those

Dingding123

Smash Journeyman
I agree with your grabbing opinions. All of link's grabs - ALL of 'em - do 7 damage (sometimes 8! ooh snap). Also, if u miss, you're liable for a falcon punch, or a sweet-spot kick, or a charged smash attack, or...well, you get the drift. It's not worth it, unless it is unexpected.

LeeHarris

Smash Lord
Hey guys, we got a berserker here.

Try and work on defense a bit more. Incorporate your sword with those bomb, arrow and boomerang attacks. Remember that shielding with your shield can sometimes be better than rolling since you can spin attack out if it. Oh and also you can grab out of the shield too.
Could you clarify what you mean about incorporating my sword?

Only thing that really bugged me was some of the predictability. When you spot dodged you basically downsmashed 80% of the time. As stated above tilts would help significantly. Additionally, it kinda bugged me that through all the matches you used link's jab about 3 times. Its great it comes out quick and if used appropriately opens up windows to smash and generally deal damage. Your lack of grabs didn't bother me much, they don't feed into combos anymore so i don't really use them as much as i used to either. But all around a solid link.
Well, I do that for the same reason other characters use some moves more than others - it's the best out of his set. His downsmash comes out ridiculously quick and can kill at low %. I agree that I need to use his jab more. It seems you can shield before the 3rd hit though.

yeaa but i've fought way better falcoes that chain grab and spike as well as dash cancel and overall more skilled people than lee's opponents

lee: sometimes a spin attack works better than downsmashing if you know they'll roll behind you, i suggest you work on those
Haha. Who have you played against? The Derek guy I played against is a noob but the others were Melee vets that played for about 6 years. They don't try to be flashy, they just get the job done. I know it's hard to tell from the videos. I know that up B works better on the occasion, but his downsmash is far superior in nearly every way. It comes out just as quick, it has much better knockback, and much less wind down lag.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Top Bottom