• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Social Thread

Fortress

Smash Master
Guess what I've been up to today?

[collapse=Seeing as we have tons of Link slots]
[/collapse]

[collapse=And, well, recolors!]
[/collapse]

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
Ooooo Link to the past recolors......no golden sword though?
I didn't really think about that, but, I can go back and give Red Mail Link the Golden Sword. It'd make sense. I'll probably end up changing Green LttP Link to have a blue-tinged Master Sword.

@ AtlusKnight AtlusKnight

[collapse=Green LttP Link]
[/collapse]

Last edited:

Hunter Sidell (Gus)

Smash Rookie
NNID
huntersidell
I'll never understand people who say bair doesn't work properly lol. I just streamed a bunch and got plenty of sick bair combos including bair -> waveland -> bair -> double jump -> bair -> land on BF platform up-b.

Link can no longer brute force his way through neutral and mindlessly combo, he requires more precision and skill. In regards to overall balance he's in a very good place considering the cast-wide nerfs. He's even better at edgeguarding than he was before, and the nair change only really affects the flub hit a small bit, people shouldn't really feel a difference in it.
How exactly is Link better at edge guarding now? With no AGT, bombs going a shorter distance, and a nerfed nair, I don't see how exactly Link is better at edge guarding

Player -0

Smash Hero
Link still has his AGT, bombs weren't that great for throwing to edgeguard anyway, and the Nair change doesn't affect it's edgeguarding ability that much.

Hylian really said I shouldn't feel the different in Nair though? I didn't even remember Link's Nair being changed when I played 3.5 and then it was like, wooooaaaah.....

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
How exactly is Link better at edge guarding now? With no AGT, bombs going a shorter distance, and a nerfed nair, I don't see how exactly Link is better at edge guarding
Link has AGT..not sure why you think it's gone. Bombs going a shorter distance has absolutely no effect on edgeguarding, and the nair nerf doesn't affect edgeguarding pretty much at all, and in fact may even make it better.

He's better at edgeguarding because of the cast-wide recovery nerfs. You cannot look at changes to a character in a vacuum and then evaluate their worth against other characters in any manner, including edgeguarding. You need to take the overall game changes into account.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Hylian can you run down how bomb jumping has changed with the bomb throws differing (how do they even differ, were they just decreased in throw power?), AGT changes, and the spin2winscrub shoulder hitbox change?

Edit - Also what's up with the landing animation after a Zair or any special fall thingy?

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hylian can you run down how bomb jumping has changed with the bomb throws differing (how do they even differ, were they just decreased in throw power?), AGT changes, and the spin2winscrub shoulder hitbox change?
Bomb jumping is much harder I think. I don't believe you can do it as many times as you used to be able to(max was..4? before now I can only get two in a row but this could just be me being bad at it). Before when you bomb jumped you wanted to drift forward when AGTing up so that you could drift backwards into your bomb and hit it with your strong last hit of your up-b. The hitbox that usually destroyed the bomb was the shoulder hitbox that got removed so now you just want to hit the bomb with as many hits of up-b as you can to destroy it instead of the last hit like before. I do this by going straight up and then drifting back when the bomb falls onto my head so that multiple hits of up-b hit it, there might be better ways others find though.

AGT just decays now. So if you are recovering from high up and use a bunch of AGTs to get back each one will go less far. This has almost no effect on Links overall gameplay as he rarely uses multiple AGTs given his fall speed.

The up-b hitbox change was only on aerial up-b.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
That was a cast-wide change. Characters now go into their special fall animation instead of their hard landing animation after an up-b.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
Somehow I'm beasting with Link even more than 3.0 despite the nerfs lol, I love everything about this update, Link feels more like an honest character than just cheesing through everything

Only way I can bomb jump is the melee way, upthrow(NOT AGT) and upB, strong hitbox will blow the bomb up if you haven't used spin attack much that stock

The only matchups that seem worse to me are the melee top tiers now, I think I might have to use someone else against Marth, Falcon and Falco, maybe Sheik too >_>, but I'll give it more time first

Super Salt on lack of magic armor alt costume though :(

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You're beasting even more because almost all the other characters were toned down as well :p. So now more match-ups are just fair instead of both characters throwing their op'ness at each other.

AtlusKnight

Smash Rookie
Link feels pretty great yeah. And finally edgegaurding correctly with knowing they won't come back is a good feeling.

Hunter Sidell (Gus)

Smash Rookie
NNID
huntersidell
Yeah sorry I meant reduced AGT, I was aware it was still in, just not as powerful. Anyway yeah after playing a bit his edge guarding does seem to be better. In regards to bomb jumping, I throw the bomb upwards (no AGT required) and since the bomb isn't thrown as high you can just up B into it immediately after. Sadly I can't bomb jump twice in a row because up B becomes stale. So how many moves do I have to use before I can bomb jump again? Is there a certain limit to how many bomb jumps can be performed in one stock?

Fortress

Smash Master
Fun night on the Skype chat with @ Hylian Hylian and @ Heero Yuy Heero Yuy . Fun time bouncing recordings back and forth. Finally got close to the "not as bad as I thought"-feedback that I was looking for.

Say, when do I get to be an authority on this character?

Last edited:

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
So if I mentioned how Link should have the jump attack from OoT as a dash attack in the next PM update, would I be the millionth one? :p

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
You mean like... Smash 4 -__-?
Nothing wrong with Smash 4 Link, except for the fact that you can't z-drop bombs without z-airing, all Link's attacks go through bombs so no launching them at people using the clawshot, no bouncing them off your boomerang, no throwing fireworks up into the air (I don't know if there's a official name for throwing one bomb up into another one causing them both to explode but that's what I like calling it), no bomb recovering by up-b into bomb, and perhaps a few other things I forgot since I've only played Smash 4 at a friend's 2-3 times for about 6-8 hours per visit.

but I do like his back roll being the back flip and hope Project m changes it to that like they changed Ganon's dodge to have the purple flames and different animation but leaving everything else pretty much the same.

also anyone else other then me feel Link's dodges are really great in smash 4? I've been able to side step and roll out of things a lot easier then in Project M or Melee almost like his rolls and side step invincibility frames have been increased or something.

Heero Yuy

#sweg
Charizard-Link should probably favor Zard by a small margin now (55-45 maybe). Feels like the Ganon matchup sorta but Zard has that immense range and mobility. Salt in the matchup thread coming soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom