• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link seems a little OP...

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I'm done with this thread too. Disabling notifications. I hope it dies too. Now that Armada won Apex we are going to discuss Pit nerfs bcuz PM (new meme).

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
Link didn't need that many recovery buffs to start with though. The tether option is basically better in this game than Melee, Upb itself got buffed, he didn't have AGT like this in Melee, AND he can still bomb jump. I'd personally revert Upb back. 80% of the time, Link doesn't need it to get back, so it might as well "kinda suck" a bit.
I entirely disagree with this, I think Link's tether was better in melee cause you could mix up where you tether to on the stage to recover, in P:M you can only tether to the edge, this means if Link tethers, the opponent knows exactly where Link is going to be for an edgeguard, this makes it very easy to edgeguard Link when he resorts to a tether because he can't mix up where he's going to be when he resorts to the tether

I find up-B is much more reliable to recover with because of the diagonal hitbox it throws out, of all the people I play against, I hear them complain about Link's up-B being more difficult to edgeguard than his tether once I show them how easy it is to edgeguard the tether

Basically when Link has to tether, if you're opponent knows how to deal with tether, there's a very good chance you're not making it back to the stage

Couple that with bomb jumping being harder in P:M than melee I don't think he needs any recovery nerfs, I think people just need to learn how to deal with Link's recovery, because when they do (and I've played plenty of people who have), you'll find out Link's recovery isn't so great, it's definitely good, but it's not over-the-top or anything

Player -0

Smash Hero
Basically when Link has to tether, if you're opponent knows how to deal with tether, there's a very good chance you're not making it back to the stage

Couple that with bomb jumping being harder in P:M than melee I don't think he needs any recovery nerfs, I think people just need to learn how to deal with Link's recovery, because when they do (and I've played plenty of people who have), you'll find out Link's recovery isn't so great, it's definitely good, but it's not over-the-top or anything
I don't see how bomb jumping is harder. Link's recovery is amazing if your opponent can't harass your bomb jumping.

I mostly agree with the tether thing though.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
I don't see how bomb jumping is harder. Link's recovery is amazing if your opponent can't harass your bomb jumping.

I mostly agree with the tether thing though.
That's just personal opinion I guess, I find it to be much easier to do in melee, though I also find it easier to WD perfectly in melee too

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
Okay. Level with me for a sec.

Link is finally VIABLE in a Smash game.

Why are people complaining?

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
I'm more curious about the boomerang, i recently fought this one guy, and he uses Link's boomerang quite often... if Link isn't so ironclad in his defensive game, then what kind of a flaw do people see in that thing?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
you know you could just drop down from your tether and insta up B for da sweetest of sweet spots? It's a thing yo, you got more options than u tink

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I love when people complain about Link's recovery. He had an amazingly bad recovery in all of the games so far... PM is the first game to give him an above average recovery, and people flip their sh*t.

Even still, though, Link's recovery is incredibly predictable and punishable with a bit of learning. he essentially has to follow the same path back to the stage each time, with his only real decisions being when and where to AGT a bomb, and whether to tether or upB.

Anybody can beat the tether with a falling aerial, due to its slow reel-in speed. And upB can still be out prioritized, especially from above Link, although it did get a good priority buff, thank god.

To be clear, I'm not saying his recovery is bad. It's definitely above average, but it's nothing to complain about.

Also, the new tether design is a big nerf from Melee simply because it's a LOT shorter and HAS to target the ledge, which makes it more predictable. You also can't cancel it/cut it off as easily. Bringing up it not activating near the stage is irrelevant. No decent Link player wouldn't airdodge away at that point.

Now onto his projectiles.. Yeah, that's what makes him a good character, but I'm sorry, if you can't figure out how to get around boomerang, I'm going to have to give you a "get better" response. It has enough cooldown to allow punishment, and is just not hard to avoid. At the very least, learn to powershield.. Seriously, it's like you guys are complaining about Falco or somebody with an actual shutdown projectile...

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
I love when people complain about Link's recovery. He had an amazingly bad recovery in all of the games so far... PM is the first game to give him an above average recovery, and people flip their sh*t.

Even still, though, Link's recovery is incredibly predictable and punishable with a bit of learning. he essentially has to follow the same path back to the stage each time, with his only real decisions being when and where to AGT a bomb, and whether to tether or upB.

Anybody can beat the tether with a falling aerial, due to its slow reel-in speed. And upB can still be out prioritized, especially from above Link, although it did get a good priority buff, thank god.

To be clear, I'm not saying his recovery is bad. It's definitely above average, but it's nothing to complain about.

Also, the new tether design is a big nerf from Melee simply because it's a LOT shorter and HAS to target the ledge, which makes it more predictable. You also can't cancel it/cut it off as easily. Bringing up it not activating near the stage is irrelevant. No decent Link player wouldn't airdodge away at that point.

Now onto his projectiles.. Yeah, that's what makes him a good character, but I'm sorry, if you can't figure out how to get around boomerang, I'm going to have to give you a "get better" response. It has enough cooldown to allow punishment, and is just not hard to avoid. At the very least, learn to powershield.. Seriously, it's like you guys are complaining about Falco or somebody with an actual shutdown projectile...
He can also do aerial glide toss down (both moving downwards and bomb downwards) to aerial glide toss in another direction (back upwards usually, while throwing the bomb forward) as well which can significantly change up the way he drifts to the stage. When i'm confident I won't mess it up, I do it to mess with opponents edge-guarding and it works pretty well.

link and ike lover

Smash Lord
NNID
Thegodlink
I love how I have found another me on this thread.
LOL awesome!!!! Yeah Link is a very good character! His range is very god and so is his hitbox! Link would be OP if he wasn't slow and if he had a better recovery. But who cares link is awesome and I love the LoZ series! Link will be always be the best to me! I said to me!I love ike too! I mained link in the past 3 smash games

Commander Hen

Smash Rookie
That grab range though. That grab-you-from-a-mile-away grab range. I cry myself to sleep because of it.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Our grab is soooooooo slow though, and unless we are like touching chest to chest or something, our grab misses when you're in the air. There are lots of situations that other characters can take for granted and get a free grab where Link cannot.

It's fine though because it's just a balanced trade-off that Link makes.

Top Bottom