• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link: Full Guide & Discussion Topic

RickySSB

Smash Ace
did you make the second char let go of the shield button after the first hit, or tried making them jump out of shield during the shield break?

just wondering what is a guaranteed shield break and what is escapable.
I pressed one single time the 2 player's A button, and I make the shield break.

dandan

Smash Lord
I pressed one single time the 2 player's A button, and I make the shield break.
yeah, that actually increases the shield stun compared to trying to jump out of shield.
that is why i wondered which of these shield breaks are really inescapable.

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
How exactly are these ledge get-up attacks supposed to work? It seems to me like every level 9 AI has a smash move that goes right through Link's. From recent memory, at the very least Fox D-smash, Fox U-smash, and Mario U-smash are all capable of hitting Link in the middle of his < 100% ledge get-up attack. It's not even a hit trade - Link gets hit and Fox or Mario puts on trollface.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
How exactly are these ledge get-up attacks supposed to work? It seems to me like every level 9 AI has a smash move that goes right through Link's. From recent memory, at the very least Fox D-smash, Fox U-smash, and Mario U-smash are all capable of hitting Link in the middle of his < 100% ledge get-up attack. It's not even a hit trade - Link gets hit and Fox or Mario puts on trollface.
As you probably know, when a character is over 100%, his "ledge get-up" last longer and as the invisivility frame for those get-up is too short, it disappear before the move is completed, that's because you can get hit while still trying to get-up over 100%.

Pink_Kirby

Smash Apprentice
As you probably know, when a character is over 100%, his "ledge get-up" last longer and as the invisivility frame for those get-up is too short, it disappear before the move is completed, that's because you can get hit while still trying to get-up over 100%.
I know the animation changes at 100%. I was asking specifically about the < 100% one since I assumed that if the <100% animation has vulnerable frames then so would the > 100% one.

From recent memory, at the very least Fox D-smash, Fox U-smash, and Mario U-smash are all capable of hitting Link in the middle of his < 100% ledge get-up attack. It's not even a hit trade - Link gets hit and Fox or Mario puts on trollface.
Maybe some interested TAS'er could look into it. The idea is to hit Link in the middle of his < 100% ledge get up attack without taking a hit yourself.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Or looking at its hitbox. Not sure if it's possible with our means since I don't think there's ledge in the BTT stage. But I remember a cool japanese video showing a better way to see hitboxes.

B Link

Smash Lord
Man, I want to see ALL hitboxes in the game (ledge get-up attacks, link's boomerang (? can't remember which one was missing from hitbox mode, stage hitboxes i.e. starfox lasers, pirahna plant, etc.) - it's been long enough! Where are our hackers =P

Sangoku

Smash Master
The video doesn't seem to exist though. I don't know if anyone is in regular contact with japanese players and could ask. Ideally this person would be able to speak japanese.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
quick someone grab aa

that is if he's not too busy scanlating manga for myanimelist

asianaussie

Smash Hero
firstly, i don't speak japanese, i can merely translate if absolutely necessary

second, myanimelist doesn't have anything to do with scanlations

third, i don't actually scanlate, i proofread

King Omega

Smash Journeyman
Man, I want to see ALL hitboxes in the game (ledge get-up attacks, link's boomerang (? can't remember which one was missing from hitbox mode, stage hitboxes i.e. starfox lasers, pirahna plant, etc.) - it's been long enough! Where are our hackers =P
Outline the rang in a box and maybe stretch the box several pixels.

It's pretty small. Rang is one thing I've never, ever gone "wtf why did that hit me," which due to all hitboxes being literal boxes (and huge ones at that), has happened with pretty much every other move.

kys

Smash Ace
That Luigi was either screwing with you or sucks big time. Upload a video against someone who's good. It's hard to give a good critique of a video against a level 5 cpu.

I'm not trying to be a ****, if that came off harsh.

Dingus

Smash Cadet
1) Does anyone besides Isai have a link worth watching?

2) If I connect either a low % uptilt (such that I cant combo another one) or I connect any move on shields, what are some proper ways to follow up and keep the pressure on? With most other characters I would probably just take the easy grab in these scenarios, but I dont really know what to do with link. I have trouble converting pressure into damage with him.

Fish641

Smash Apprentice
I like to dash past their grab range, then shop dair back towards them. Usually catches them if they try anything but shield, unless their usmash is fast.

B Link

Smash Lord
1) Does anyone besides Isai have a link worth watching?

2) If I connect either a low % uptilt (such that I cant combo another one) or I connect any move on shields, what are some proper ways to follow up and keep the pressure on? With most other characters I would probably just take the easy grab in these scenarios, but I dont really know what to do with link. I have trouble converting pressure into damage with him.
1) Superboom probably has the second best link next to Isai although there aren't as many videos as Isai's of it - Jaime's is really good too.

2) I usually boomerang afterwards but if they're not trying to roll obviously you should do another attack that hits their shield quickly. That's rare though - most good players roll or jump out because the utilt moves them out of range.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I feel like Isai has the best anything to watch, although a lot of the stuff he does is kinda technical and difficult.

I once thought Superboom had the best Falcon to watch, but after seeing Isai's Falcon in both of those 12 character battles, I am in awe. Didn't think half the stuff he did was possible, nor did I even think of it in the first place! Reinventing the metagame right there.

Boom's Falcon is still probably the best to watch because it's stuff that's actually possible to do, while still being creative and effective.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I suppose he does pretty cool stuff too. ;)

But I was more amazed by Isai's. Never thought I'd see Dair used that much and that effectively.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Flash is for noobs, real men bump their way through the darkness

I like Isai's Falcon a lot more than Tavo's but this is no surprise. Isai's style in general appeals to me/feels the most natural to me (except his Yoshi, that thing is weird)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
link is the most annoying character to play against, bar none

i would rather be camped by a fox or trolled by a kirby than have to face a decent link

Top Bottom