• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Link checked the thread. Wow! This is a nice thread!

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
So does anyone know if Link can footstool out of Dthrow? Can't test it myself for reasons.

I just need a straight answer, I'll continue discussion in the metagame thread if anyone is up for it.

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
So does anyone know if Link can footstool out of Dthrow? Can't test it myself for reasons.

I just need a straight answer, I'll continue discussion in the metagame thread.
I doubt it. Link can barely combo Utilt (frame 8) and his jumpsquat animation alone is 7 frames. It would have to be only at low %s. It's not a bad idea and worth looking into but don't get your hopes up.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I doubt it. Link can barely combo Utilt (frame 8) and his jumpsquat animation alone is 7 frames. It would have to be only at low %s. It's not a bad idea and worth looking into but don't get your hopes up.
I won't. One thing I've learned as a Link main is not to be too optimistic when it comes to this stuff.

The reason you haven't seen me around is because I posted a metagame thread in the Roy boards. Did anyone watch the Umbera F.A.T. tournament stream yesterday?

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'm bored so here's a tier list of how powerful smash 4 characters would be if based on the games they come from. Feel free to disagree, comment or add to it. Many places are based on educated guesses.

S
:4ganondorf::4palutena::4mewtwo:
Although Link beats Ganon in the end, the Trifore of power is by nature the most powerful of the three. Ganon rules over the massive monsters characters like Link and Samus fight. Palutena is a demigoddess. Although she gets rescued by pit and it's hard to tell how much she's BSing Pit about her powers in KI:U, she is still a goddess. She commands Pit and rules from heaven. She doesn't get a tier of her own though. Mewtwo is the most powerful psychic pokemon and often the strongest in the games he's featured. In the movie he's controlled an army of pokemon and conjured a huge storm with one hand. You could argue that fighters like Samus or Link could potentially beat S tiers but they are the 'bosses' the underdogs must rise to overcome.
A
:4link::4tlink::4samus::4lucario::4sonic::4megaman::4darkpit::4pit::4ness::4lucas:
I'm guessing Lucario is a step above the remaining pokemon, IDK. He could be a tier lower. The others are heroes who have proven countless times they stack up with the toughest. Link/TL has beaten monsters like Bongo Bongo, Majora, etc. Link can also wear a tunic that allows him to walk on lava. Samus fights monsters of the same caliber, survive in space and in lava. Sonic has defeated monsters like Perfect Chaos, Time Eater, and huge robots; these seem on par with Metroid monsters. Mega Man's a futurist battle robot who could probably keep up with the rest, he raids trap filled castles and takes down giant boss robots and robot masters. Pit seems about as strong. You could argue he beats full gods like Hades but I'd say only with the powerful armor the forge god made him. I haven't actually played the Earthbound/Mother series but if Ness can save the world and beat freaking Gaigas he and Lucas probably deserve this spot. I'd say the opponents these characters beat regularly are at least as strong as Bowser.
B
:4bowser::4charizard::4greninja::4dk::4metaknight::4dedede::4kirby::4rob::4fox::4falco::4ryu:
Bowser's a big boss but he often ends up teaming with Mario vs a bigger bad. Although several characters here are final bosses they don't seem any tougher than regular boss characters the tier above fights. Charizard and Greninja are lv 3 evolved pokemon and seem like they could fight Bowser but I'm not the most knowledgeable about pokemon. DK and Starfox characters go on adventures but they're not as dire as the tier above. Fox has gone on foot in SFA Dinosaur Planet and SF Assault but seems considerably weaker than Samus. I'm estimating Falco at the same level as Fox. ROB's based off Brawl's Subspace. The Kirby characters are hard to place since they live in a dreamland. I could accept them a tier higher for fighting demons like 02, Dark Mind, etc but they also get hurt by puny Waddle Dees. Dreams are inconsistent and metaphoric. Ryu is a strong tournament fighter but hasn't beaten legions of monsters. He seems super human but I don't want to put him any higher since it's always in a 1 vs 1 fighting style.
C
:4diddy::4luigi::4mario::4pikachu::rosalina::4sheik::4yoshi::4zelda::4pacman::4falcon::4bowserjr::4jigglypuff::4wario2::4littlemac:
These characters fight weak enemies like walking mushrooms and aren't on the same level as higher tiers even though they go on adventures. Diddy plays second fiddle to DK in recent games but he could be a tier higher I guess. He's never been a boss like DK. Mario characters and Pac Man are more platform adventure oriented and probably aren't as strong of fighters. Their enemies just aren't as bad. CFalcon is a bounty hunter but for human-like characters and not huge monsters. His claim to fame is racing, not fighting. These pokemon are weaker than the others and not fully evolved. Zelda has the Triforce of Wisdom but she doesn't really do much in the games. Little Mac is a tough boxer but probably couldn't beat huge monsters.
D
:4olimar::4alph::4peach::4zss::4gaw:
Olimar and Alph are explorers and rely on Pikmin to do their dirty work. Peach adventures with Mario sometimes but also gets kidnapped more than any other character ever. She's often shown to be completely helpless. ZSS can only stun enemies with a fully charged paralyzer shot in Metroid Zero Mission. I'm just throwing G&W in here based on the little I know of his games.
E
:4villager::4mii::4drmario::4duckhunt::4miif::4villagerf::4wiifitm::4wiifit:
These characters never actually fight that I'm aware of. WFT is fit but not prepared for an adventure like Peach or Olimar. Villager collects things. Duck Hunt Dog picks up dead ducks. Miis play sports and go to theme parks with stuffed moblins.

The IDK and don't care to look it up tier:
:4myfriends::4marth::4lucina::4robinm::4robinf::4shulk:
Their games have a lot of background and lore. I don't feel confident knowing where to place these characters.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I'm bored so here's a tier list of how powerful smash 4 characters would be if based on the games they come from. Feel free to disagree, comment or add to it. Many places are based on educated guesses.

S
Although Link beats Ganon in the end, the Trifore of power is by nature the most powerful of the three. Ganon rules over the massive monsters characters like Link and Samus fight. Palutena is a demigoddess. Although she gets rescued by pit and it's hard to tell how much she's BSing Pit about her powers in KI:U, she is still a goddess. She commands Pit and rules from heaven. She doesn't get a tier of her own though. Mewtwo is the most powerful psychic pokemon and often the strongest in the games he's featured. In the movie he's controlled an army of pokemon and conjured a huge storm with one hand. You could argue that fighters like Samus or Link could potentially beat S tiers but they are the 'bosses' the underdogs must rise to overcome.
A
:4link::4tlink::4samus::4lucario::4sonic::4megaman::4darkpit::4pit::4ness::4lucas:
I'm guessing Lucario is a step above the remaining pokemon, IDK. He could be a tier lower. The others are heroes who have proven countless times they stack up with the toughest. Link/TL has beaten monsters like Bongo Bongo, Majora, etc. Link can also wear a tunic that allows him to walk on lava. Samus fights monsters of the same caliber, survive in space and in lava. Sonic has defeated monsters like Perfect Chaos, Time Eater, and huge robots; these seem on par with Metroid monsters. Mega Man's a futurist battle robot who could probably keep up with the rest, he raids trap filled castles and takes down giant boss robots and robot masters. Pit seems about as strong. You could argue he beats full gods like Hades but I'd say only with the powerful armor the forge god made him. I haven't actually played the Earthbound/Mother series but if Ness can save the world and beat freaking Gaigas he and Lucas probably deserve this spot. I'd say the opponents these characters beat regularly are at least as strong as Bowser.
B
:4bowser::4charizard::4greninja::4dk::4metaknight::4dedede::4kirby::4rob::4fox::4falco::4ryu:
Bowser's a big boss but he often ends up teaming with Mario vs a bigger bad. Although several characters here are final bosses they don't seem any tougher than regular boss characters the tier above fights. Charizard and Greninja are lv 3 evolved pokemon and seem like they could fight Bowser but I'm not the most knowledgeable about pokemon. DK and Starfox characters go on adventures but they're not as dire as the tier above. Fox has gone on foot in SFA Dinosaur Planet and SF Assault but seems considerably weaker than Samus. I'm estimating Falco at the same level as Fox. ROB's based off Brawl's Subspace. The Kirby characters are hard to place since they live in a dreamland. I could accept them a tier higher for fighting demons like 02, Dark Mind, etc but they also get hurt by puny Waddle Dees. Dreams are inconsistent and metaphoric. Ryu is a strong tournament fighter but hasn't beaten legions of monsters. He seems super human but I don't want to put him any higher since it's always in a 1 vs 1 fighting style.
C
:4diddy::4luigi::4mario::4pikachu::rosalina::4sheik::4yoshi::4zelda::4pacman::4falcon::4bowserjr::4jigglypuff::4wario2::4littlemac:
These characters fight weak enemies like walking mushrooms and aren't on the same level as higher tiers even though they go on adventures. Diddy plays second fiddle to DK in recent games but he could be a tier higher I guess. He's never been a boss like DK. Mario characters and Pac Man are more platform adventure oriented and probably aren't as strong of fighters. Their enemies just aren't as bad. CFalcon is a bounty hunter but for human-like characters and not huge monsters. His claim to fame is racing, not fighting. These pokemon are weaker than the others and not fully evolved. Zelda has the Triforce of Wisdom but she doesn't really do much in the games. Little Mac is a tough boxer but probably couldn't beat huge monsters.
D
Olimar and Alph are explorers and rely on Pikmin to do their dirty work. Peach adventures with Mario sometimes but also gets kidnapped more than any other character ever. She's often shown to be completely helpless. ZSS can only stun enemies with a fully charged paralyzer shot in Metroid Zero Mission. I'm just throwing G&W in here based on the little I know of his games.
E
These characters never actually fight that I'm aware of. WFT is fit but not prepared for an adventure like Peach or Olimar. Villager collects things. Duck Hunt Dog picks up dead ducks. Miis play sports and go to theme parks with stuffed moblins.

Their games have a lot of background and lore. I don't feel confident knowing where to place these characters.
Shulk's S tier material if you've played Xenoblade Chronicles to the end. I won't spoil, though. Also, isn't there a separate thread for this somewhere? Lol

Last edited:

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163

S
A
B
C
D
E

Yea, place Shulk way higher. The FE characters can remain there.

FSK

Smash Ace
I just want to tell all of you that the very recent rumors that have surfaced are true. I have indeed found my stapler after it had been missing for almost a complete hour. I'm now going to happily staple my papers and my outlook on the future has ever so slightly brightened.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I just want to tell all of you that the very recent rumors that have surfaced are true. I have indeed found my stapler after it had been missing for almost a complete hour. I'm now going to happily staple my papers and my outlook on the future has ever so slightly brightened.
This guy... he's going places.

Dumbfire

Sex? Yes, I'm familiar with the theory
NNID
AncientSunlight
I'm bored so here's a tier list of how good Sm4sh top players would be if they would brawl in real life. Feel free to disagree, comment or add to it. Many places are based on educated guesses.

S tier
Nakat, FOW, DKwill
Nakat has been putting in the work since Brawl and is pretty big, while FOW has that caveman thing going for him. DKwill may seem like a strange choice, but rumor has it he has been in over 437 streetfights.

A tier
Mr-R, Larry, Vinnie, Mew2King
Mr-R is lean and fit, Larry looks up to speed and has large hands excellent for usage in fights, Vinnie would put his heart and soul into the fight and there's ample evidence of Mew2King being ripped

B tier
Dabuz
Dabuz has the face of a man who would screw you up if you met him in the wrong street corner at 4 AM

pls feel free to finish

DUKEL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SirDukeIII
Apparently we all missed this high level Link play at Pax. This guy's pushing the meta in ways I never thought possible.
For real though. This guy neeeeeds to get out more.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So is just finished WW HD. Aw gods that ending, it melted my heart. I'll say it was a very enjoyable game. Though it did have its annoying moments.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
Apparently we all missed this high level Link play at Pax. This guy's pushing the meta in ways I never thought possible.
Discovered new AT: Down smash. Been labbing it since I watched the vid. So the inputs seem to be this:
:GCD:+:GCA:
Now the timing is strict as both inputs need to be done quickly and simultaneously. I'll look at it some more.

BombChu

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssbBombChu
Anyone going to be reping link SSS SSS this sunday? Ill be there and would love to play some friendlies with another link main to maybe trade some info.

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
Why haven't we heard of this before?.. Looks like we haven't been playing Link to his full potential :smirk:

Any European/Dutch Links attending Avalon U?
Me and DF always go to Avalon, we're the only Links here you need to know about.

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Implying Izaw is anywhere near one of the best Links?
Is that a call out? Tryin to start somethin?

Nah I'm just playin lol, I'd say he's definitively above average. Can't really say he's the best since I haven't since him in any tourneys.

One of the handful of Link's I know that gave us a good name like Kirinblaze and Legan.

BombChu

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssbBombChu
???? Is everyone being serious? He is pretty good but I didn't see anything mindblowing from this link. Ill go and watch it again incase I missed somthing but it just seemed that he was using his projectiles well to space out CF.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Me and DF always go to Avalon, we're the only Links here you need to know about.
Aka every other European Link main is a fraud. J/k
???? Is everyone being serious? He is pretty good but I didn't see anything mindblowing from this link. Ill go and watch it again incase I missed somthing but it just seemed that he was using his projectiles well to space out CF.
dat troll post tho. Tbh, the Falcon wasn't that great either, he gave that FG Link way too much space and missed some potential followups that could've closed the game out much faster.

BombChu

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssbBombChu
The CF was giving a little to much respect to the tether grab. Not saying the link dosnt have potential he at least knew the d-throw up-tilt at low %

~Unknown~

Smash Apprentice
Implying Izaw is anywhere near one of the best Links?
Probably not the place for this but izaw, most famous link yes. Best link no! Good at giving knowledge but never shows tournament results. If I had to choose top 5. Sova unknown, hyrule hero, catana, dumbfire, soronie. But top 5 notoriety wise. Izaw, wheo, sine language, kirin blaze, brimez

Catana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Catanaa
Probably not the place for this but izaw, most famous link yes. Best link no! Good at giving knowledge but never shows tournament results. If I had to choose top 5. Sova unknown, hyrule hero, catana, dumbfire, soronie. But top 5 notoriety wise. Izaw, wheo, sine language, kirin blaze, brimez
He barely has any results.
Also, scizor is the best Link atm and Kirin would be second best though he's been very inactive lately, other than that I wouldnt really dare to say much. We're kinda dead competitively.

BombChu

Smash Cadet
NNID
ssbBombChu
Izaw was a great as far as link goes in Brawl but in sm4sh he has been missing more less. His YT videos are great but we don't see him at tournaments very often.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Izaw was a great as far as link goes in Brawl but in sm4sh he has been missing more less. His YT videos are great but we don't see him at tournaments very often.
Isai had pretty minimal tourney experience in Brawl as well.

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
Why haven't we heard of this before?.. Looks like we haven't been playing Link to his full potential :smirk:

Any European/Dutch Links attending Avalon U?
Yes me and Cat will probably be there, and if BYOC is streaming I may use my magic powers of influence to get you and him on stream and commentate.
Aka every other European Link main is a fraud. J/k
The post was referring only to the Netherlands. I scout out all the Links there all the time but they usually are surprised you can do much beyond press shield and a direction, and never go to more than 1 or 2 tournaments before they quit. There's definitely other relevant European Links, most notably Sodrek the Fox player known for knocking Mr-r into losers in April at a German tourney -- he uses Link as secondary like Mr-R in Brawl. Also please stop doing this thing where you make an obvious joke then add "J/k" as if we're too stupid to get it LOL

The Izaw story this game as far as we know is that the tourney scene in Sweden is too far away and too small so he doesn't really attend anything, the only thing we know about is B.E.A.S.T., which was when he still mained Sheik (who he has since dropped in favor of Link). He was planning to move to America in the future, I don't know when anymore. Lately he's been absent, he was planning to stream a lot but he hasn't in a while, I figure he's busy. Most of his playing comes from people visting him, in any case.

As for top Links, Scizor has the best results by far, nationals too, followed by Cat, Hyrule Hero, Unknown and Requiem at their more local scenes. Rookie did well too at Smashcon, I just don't know of any footage of him or results from New England tourneys he's in, I'll ask that guy who posted his Smashcon results. Kirin seems to play very rarely anymore, but he did add Scizor on Facebook some months ago when they potentially met(?). Sine Language and BrimeZ got tons of exposure due to VGbootcamp early into the game indeed, but I think the former quit and the latter is finding it difficult to attend things the last few months, although he did drop by with a set against GimR in May.

The sad truth is that the old, nationally relevant playerbase we had in Brawl consisting of Arkive Zero, Legan, Deva, Kirin, Scizor and even Mr-R is gone. Scizor is usually broke now so can't attend as much as we'd like, and even though has done well at regionals and even a national (Paragon) he is relatively unknown, mostly because SoCal's scene has little streaming presence, unlike, say, Tourney Locator over in Texas and VGBootcamp on the East Coast.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Yes me and Cat will probably be there, and if BYOC is streaming I may use my magic powers of influence to get you and him on stream and commentate.

The post was referring only to the Netherlands. I scout out all the Links there all the time but they usually are surprised you can do much beyond press shield and a direction, and never go to more than 1 or 2 tournaments before they quit. There's definitely other relevant European Links, most notably Sodrek the Fox player known for knocking Mr-r into losers in April at a German tourney -- he uses Link as secondary like Mr-R in Brawl. Also please stop doing this thing where you make an obvious joke then add "J/k" as if we're too stupid to get it LOL

The Izaw story this game as far as we know is that the tourney scene in Sweden is too far away and too small so he doesn't really attend anything, the only thing we know about is B.E.A.S.T., which was when he still mained Sheik (who he has since dropped in favor of Link). He was planning to move to America in the future, I don't know when anymore. Lately he's been absent, he was planning to stream a lot but he hasn't in a while, I figure he's busy. Most of his playing comes from people visting him, in any case.

As for top Links, Scizor has the best results by far, nationals too, followed by Cat, Hyrule Hero, Unknown and Requiem at their more local scenes. Rookie did well too at Smashcon, I just don't know of any footage of him or results from New England tourneys he's in, I'll ask that guy who posted his Smashcon results. Kirin seems to play very rarely anymore, but he did add Scizor on Facebook some months ago when they potentially met(?). Sine Language and BrimeZ got tons of exposure due to VGbootcamp early into the game indeed, but I think the former quit and the latter is finding it difficult to attend things the last few months, although he did drop by with a set against GimR in May.

The sad truth is that the old, nationally relevant playerbase we had in Brawl consisting of Arkive Zero, Legan, Deva, Kirin, Scizor and even Mr-R is gone. Scizor is usually broke now so can't attend as much as we'd like, and even though has done well at regionals and even a national (Paragon) he is relatively unknown, mostly because SoCal's scene has little streaming presence, unlike, say, Tourney Locator over in Texas and VGBootcamp on the East Coast.
My bad, some people have a tendency of taking what I say the wrong way online, hence the "j/k", but it's all in good fun so no biggie. BTW, whatever happened to Legan anyway? He was one of my favorite Brawl Links to watch, but it's as if he dropped off the face of the earth. Did he retire or did he have no interest in Smash 4's meta?

Dumbfire

NNID
AncientSunlight
He dropped by early into Smash Wii U and said the following:
Hey guys, long time no see. I can say forsure that im not going to get into this game as much as I did brawl. It gets a little harder to find time for all of the traveling now that im 25. That being said, Ive played the game and enjoyed it for the most part. ... Ill be playing occasionally with friends and i might attend a tourney or two. Ill be lurking around most definitely.
There's footage of him playing Smash Wii U with Hylian when it just came out, but neither Hylian nor Legan ended up caring for Sm4sh, so the last we know of Legan is that he very occassionally played Melee at Hylian's house, but for all we know he's done with Smash altogether. He hasn't been online on Smashboards since December, and he's one of the few people whose Facebook I don't have.
Reminds me of someone.

Last edited:

kxiong92

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kxiong

You flattered me. Embarrass
It's kinda weird we don't see a ton of vids from SoCal because they're one of the best regions right now. It's kinda nice having good Links from each region in the U.S.

Last edited:

~Unknown~

Smash Apprentice

I agree with this! Based off results scizor is the best. My issue is ppl saying other links are good and basing it off their performance in Brawl. Like this isn't brawl so brawl stats mean nothing. Also I've played Rooky at smashcon he's d#/& good. I mean he got 17th using only link. So that's feat. Also izaw great at guides but I think wheo could be better. Although he is following the izaw route only posting vids he wins in if you actually watch them he's very creative with his play style.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
So, has anyone her played Kid Icarus Uprising?

Also

I agree with this! Based off results scizor is the best. My issue is ppl saying other links are good and basing it off their performance in Brawl. Like this isn't brawl so brawl stats mean nothing. Also I've played Rooky at smashcon he's d#/& good. I mean he got 17th using only link. So that's feat. Also izaw great at guides but I think wheo could be better. Although he is following the izaw route only posting vids he wins in if you actually watch them he's very creative with his play style.

There was an Unknown here before me?

Oho.....

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
How do you deal with Link? Even if I get past his projectiles, he can just up-smash. I can't really tank the projectiles since he will grab me/space me. Wario (my main) can eat the projectiles but that leaves some lag that Link can just dash attack on. Halp pls?

Top Bottom